• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NGE1113

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:53 am Reply with quote
haruhifan1200 wrote:
So are all the LE versions gone? I happened to notice at Target.com they had it for preorder and they wrote nothing about it being sold out...

The ASOS Brigade website had a note about this before the site revision took place. From what I remember, Bandai announced that the distributors who supplied the LE's to retailers such as Right Stuf (and Target) had sold out. It doesn't mean that the retailers themselves are sold out; although Right Stuf is well on the way to doing so.

Check out this post at Anime on DVD.

EDIT:
(removed)

EDIT 2:
There's now a link to an ANN press release about a Haruhi event in LA.

Seems like the website's gonna see more changes soon. From the frontpage:

Quote:
5/3/2007
Server move was successful and uneventful. Students are requested to flush their DNS caches in order to receive new updated IP numbers.

A review of the ASOS Brigade activities will be held tomorrow, pending final investigation and a school-wide vote by the general student body on whether to continue their activities or disband the organization over the weekend.

But, up in the top-left corner of the page:

Quote:
NHSOS v2.1a CS (unstable)

And some source code comments:

Code:
<!-- Is it all fun and games? -->
<!-- Do we have everything? -->
<!-- But what of the names -->
<!-- We must find some people -->
<!-- And give them what they need -->
<!-- If they have the currency -->
<!-- Some nice stuff to please -->
<!-- A large anomaly has been detected -->

Feels like a reference to the above-mentioned Haruhi promo that's being held.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:58 pm Reply with quote
As this thread wasn't posted to in Shocked a whole 24 hours just about, I thought I'd ask a little question: Do people like Haruhi as a character? I'm especially asking the guys, it seems like a lot of men really are taken by her personality and are devoted fans. If you are one of them could you see being attracted to a similar person in real life? Personally Haruhi has always annoyed me. I love the series and I think her personality was right for the story as she's definitely an odd girl. There's just nothing about her that I see what other people see in her that makes her so popular. She's pushy, she doesn't understand the concept of a give and take relationship, she lacks compassion for another's feelings. I don't see why any guy would think she would be the ideal girlfriend.
Key

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Attracted to? No. (Although she does look hot in that bunny outfit.)

Entertained by? Most definitely.

That she is such a dramatic contrast to the "perfect" woman (a move I feel was completely intentional) is what makes her so interesting. She is everything Belldandy is not, for better or worse.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I pretty much agree with Key on that. She's very entertaining, but I'm not really attracted to her. I usually don't find the tsundere type attractive anyway, so it's not really anything personal.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:12 am Reply with quote
After Episode 2 I could've reported that I found Haruhi somewhat attractive, but after all the events that occured throughout the series, I have to agree others, I'm much more entertained by her than attracted. I have a much less sophisticated reason than others: It's 'cause Haruhi cut her hair. Thus, I never really found her attractive from Ep 3 onward.

Now Yuki on the other hand...
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:26 am Reply with quote
Haruhi is certainly cute at times and hot at other times, but I can't see myself being attracted to a person like her in real life, at least not in a romantic sense. But she would certainly be a fun person to be around. I could certainly see myself being friends with someone like her. Provided she acknowledged my existence.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:46 am Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
After Episode 2 I could've reported that I found Haruhi somewhat attractive, but after all the events that occured throughout the series, I have to agree others, I'm much more entertained by her than attracted. I have a much less sophisticated reason than others: It's 'cause Haruhi cut her hair. Thus, I never really found her attractive from Ep 3 onward.

She looks much better with the conservative hairstyle imo. The ponytails and those loopy loops definitely did not suit her.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:11 am Reply with quote
I don't know how you would find her attractive, though you could probably call her cute. Mikuru? Another story. As with others, Haruhi is an entertaining person, she's looking for stuff that she doesn't know is even there, and seems to want to bring out the "moe" for people to join the SOS Club, on top of dressing in a bunny outfit.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Do people like Haruhi as a character? I'm especially asking the guys, it seems like a lot of men really are taken by her personality and are devoted fans. If you are one of them could you see being attracted to a similar person in real life?
I adore Haruhi's personality myself, but I'm not attracted to her romantically. She reminds me of a more extreme version of a girl I grew up with so there's a nostalgic component and I'd love to have her for a friend, but romantic attraction not so much. While she's got that tsundere attitude I love, she's a little too selfish for my tastes. I agree with Kyon about her ponytail though.

Though I will mention the entire reason I first took notice of the series was because of Haruhi's bright excited face.

As frentymon would agree, it's Yuki who attracts me. Quiet, extremely smart, thoughtful, and a brave and loyal friend, those are qualities that I would absolutely fall for in real life. (Looking like Yuki or Haruhi would merely be icing on the cake.)

If I met a girl like Yuki or Haruhi in real life who was actually interested in me, I'd be happy.
Mephistophilus

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Haruhi, as many others have stated, is not exactly "lover material," so I would place someone like her as interesting, but not quite attractive. Since appearance takes a somewhat distant second behind personality for me, I'd have to say Yuki would be the type of person I would be straight attracted to. Appearance is nice, and Mikuru is a person I do "feel for," but Mikuru's status as a "blob" of sorts is a bit of a put-off. Yuki, on the other hand, is thoughtful, interesting, and can quietly kick some major butt. Haruhi is interesting too, but in a different way.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. I too seem to fall on the side of finding Haruhi to be a great "best friend" type character, someone who always has got a great idea and wants everyone to help her out with it and have fun.

Actually, I'd never really thought about her in a girlfriend sort of sense until now. However, if Haruhi were a real person, I probably would be attracted to her. I've always liked smart and strong women, the kind who can give me a run for my money and will call me on it when I try to pull off some sort of BS. Personally, I find smart, capable, energetic, and fun-loving to be extremely attractive traits. Naturally though, the fact that she doesn't really seem to care about anyone aside from Kyon means that if her relationship with me was anything aside from a Kyon-ish relationship, it'd be over pretty quickly.

Then again... I always have been a Yuki fan myself...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Wow a lot of Yuki fans, pretty much everybody who has responded to my question. Yeah I agree she's awesome, it's amazing though how such a bookish (megane) girl can be seen as so sexy and appealing.
enishicz

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:25 pm Reply with quote
sorry if it's been asked already, but is the second season 100% solidly confirmed to be in production (or completed production), and if so, is there a set date on when it will be released? There's alot of rumors flying around so I just want some clarification.

PS Asahina Mikuru's the best, she's like a really cute puppy, that u just wanna pet
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:12 pm Reply with quote
So far, the only information on a second season was a rumor from last year. Moonphase stated that the second season would air this fall, but with Clannad airing in the fall, the chances of that happening are about nil since Kyoto Animation has never done two shows at the same time. There hasn't been a single word from any official sources.
d.yaro

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:46 am Reply with quote
Evil thought for the day... Buy the volume 1 LE so that I can strip out the CD tray and thus be able to store all my R2 Haruhi DVDs in a box. Razz Anyways, the thing is advertised on Amazon.ca for $66.49 Canadian. Wonder if that is comparable to the US prices.

Second evil thought of the day... What if there was an anime series with Haruhi as a 30-year old? Man, she'd be the type A terror of the world for sure. Certainly wouldn't be one working in an office environment such as that depicted in Hatarakiman. So she'd have her own company. God knows what kind of business it would be. SPR on speed? A more out of control version of the talent agency in Haruka 17? Certainly wouldn't be anything like the duo in Trick. Oh yeah, she'd definitely be single. Yes, this is my response to the question "Do people like Haruhi as a character?". She may not be the depiction of a guy's dream girl but she'd certainly keep him entertained.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 110 of 213