• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:45 am Reply with quote
xanbcoo wrote:
The show started off with a great and pretty mysterious premise, but now it seems to be turning into a cliched spoiler["normal kid dissatisfied with life has his world turned upsidedown due to strange and paranormal events" science fiction series. If more unbelievable revalations are made, this show might lose a lot of its charm for me ]. But even now after reading some of the thoughts posted here, I'm thinking even THAT prediction could be wrong. Is there a different plot underneath the underneath?

It gets weirder still. And yes, more is revealed.

xanbcoo wrote:
By the time that Koizumi spoiler[had revelead the "truth" about himself, I caught myself thinking "yeah, I get it, Haruhi is special and there's more to the world than meets the eye. Yadda yadda yadda." I also felt the same way about the second half of the events of chapter 5 of the first novel.] I really hope there's something else to all this that will truly win me over.

Heheheh. Sure, you felt that way.... but the whole point is that so did Kyon. Think about that. And while you're at it, think about his whole little "I never believed in Santa Claus" spiel, from the beginning of the story.

It's supposed to be unbelievable. The question is, which kind of "unbelievable" is it?

Samurai CDZ wrote:
Episode 5 was a huge disappointment. A staff member must have sat on the fast forward button or something.

I can see how you might feel that way, and it does seem that they wanted to get the "intro" episodes out of the way, so they could get to the meat of the first volume's story.

But look at how they did it: every one of the three "special characters" being presented had a different set of storytelling effects, to highlight that person's individual angle. This wasn't just "fast-forward" -- somebody at KyoAni must have spent many sleepless nights getting the storyboard for this episode just right.

Samurai CDZ wrote:
Personally, from what I've seen (1-5) and read (ch 1-5), I think, at this point, spoiler[if it's anybody's dream world, it's Kyon's.] But that's only one possiblity I can think of.

You might be right -- and I've often thought so. Especially considering the "Santa Claus" spiel, where Kyon specifically mentions the three "specials" that later show up, as something he used to believe in.

Or maybe Kyon and Haruhi are two aspects of the same phenomenon? Can't have shadow without light, and all that.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hisdon

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:24 am Reply with quote
This probably doesn't mean anything at all, but what does that orange arm band Haruhi has on in the intro and the credits say?

EDIT: nm this, rewatched the first episode and I completely missed the last scene after those credits, rofl.
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:08 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
I can see how you might feel that way, and it does seem that they wanted to get the "intro" episodes out of the way, so they could get to the meat of the first volume's story.

But look at how they did it: every one of the three "special characters" being presented had a different set of storytelling effects, to highlight that person's individual angle. This wasn't just "fast-forward" -- somebody at KyoAni must have spent many sleepless nights getting the storyboard for this episode just right.

Yuki's story was done perfectly, Mikuru's felt wrong and out of character to me and Itsuki's was just okay. But it wasn't just their stories, it was also everything inbetween. All the events that happened were either rushed through or rewritten in order to get the same information out at a much higher speed. It felt...rushed. I think if they had even another half episode, it would have felt much more natural.

abunai wrote:
Or maybe Kyon and Haruhi are two aspects of the same phenomenon? Can't have shadow without light, and all that.

Yeah, basically. In that dream scenario, spoiler[Haruhi would be the physical manifestation of the part Kyon threw away between junior high and high school. Therefore, she is him, and they are the same.] Whether they're the same phenomenon outside a dream world is also possible, but I haven't got enough info to build a scenario supporting it at this time.
dgreater1

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:34 am Reply with quote
I just happen to read some of the chapters of Suzumiya Haruhi's novel and I think I understand spoiler[why they introduce some chapters of the novel that doesn't explain the weird things first. I guess, the director thought that if they follow the book, the story will have the feeling that it's rather rushed (though I think you'll feel it is rushed no matter what they do). That's why they're slowly introducing the weird elements of the story.] Anyway, to see an anime with super natural/SF/fantasy element is quite interesting and I'm beginning to really like the show. Anyway, it's really fun to watch Mikuru-chan Laughing spoiler[Can't wait to see her in her twenties Laughing ]
d.yaro

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:38 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Samurai CDZ wrote:
Episode 5 was a huge disappointment. A staff member must have sat on the fast forward button or something.

This is just my two bits worth: I found Episode 5 to be quite entertaining, well written and a not a bad source of food for thought. The word I'd conjure up to describe it is "Rashomonesque". After all, we do have three characters describing the significance and relevance of a single event from their perspective. For me, the way the episode was built around that plot device was a job done very well. It worked for me...and I got a few good laughs out of the show.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Hisdon wrote:
This probably doesn't mean anything at all, but what does that orange arm band Haruhi has on in the intro and the credits say?

団長 (danchou, "leader of a party, group, delegation, etc.") or as the fansubbers sometimes translate it: "chief".

Haruhi's club is SOS団 (SOS-dan). A point is made that it isn't really a club, because it doesn't (yet) live up to the requirements, hence the choice of the word 団 (dan, "group" - the fansubbers say "brigade") instead of 部 (bu, "club"). It's also mentioned that it was originally supposed to be SOS同好会 (SOS-doukoukai), but it was too small to be a
同好会 (doukoukai, "association of like-minded people").

長 (asa or -chou, "chief or head") is the term usually used for any kind of leader, from class reps to middle management in corporations, etc.

A few samples:

市長 (shichou, "mayor")
村長 (sonchou, "village headman")
班長 (honchou, "squad leader" -- incidentally, the etymological source of the English word "honcho")
駅長 (ekichou, "stationmaster")
学長 (gakuchou, "university president")

d.yaro wrote:
The word I'd conjure up to describe it is "Rashomonesque". After all, we do have three characters describing the significance and relevance of a single event from their perspective.

If you want true "Rashomonesque" atmosphere, you really ought to watch the other hit show of the season: Higurashi no naku koro ni. It gets my full recommendation, just as Haruhi's escapades do.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:45 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

Sounds like last year's spoiler[Zettai Shonen].

I'm really not sure what to make of this show anymore. It's making my head spin to the point where I'm almost sick of watching it. I guess in that aspect, it's succeeding, since I can definitely relate to Kyon 100%.

I'm still not buying the ANN ratings, but it's clear this show is working on a level I'm not picking up on yet. It'll take multiple times to really get this one. I only hope the anime can add a good closure, since I don't believe the novels are finished, right?
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:14 pm Reply with quote
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:
I'm really not sure what to make of this show anymore. It's making my head spin to the point where I'm almost sick of watching it. I guess in that aspect, it's succeeding, since I can definitely relate to Kyon 100%.

He's the audience's Everyman, their anchor. If it weren't for him, the story would just be a mindless jumble of SF clichés. His skepticism provides a baseline for the story, and offsets the incredible elements -- an important aspect of the story is that the incredible elements are incredible. They have to be. I mean, aliens and time travellers and espers in a high school? No way, right?

And that's how the story works. By giving you the extraordinary, and not demanding the usual suspension of disbelief.

GoodLuckSaturday wrote:
I'm still not buying the ANN ratings, but it's clear this show is working on a level I'm not picking up on yet. It'll take multiple times to really get this one. I only hope the anime can add a good closure, since I don't believe the novels are finished, right?

No, new novels are still coming out (vol. 8 soon). As for closure, I think it's safe to say that you'll get "closure" in terms of the first novel being completed -- with plenty of interspersed samplers from future volumes to make the longer perspective of the storyline evident.

- abunai
ravager

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Finally I got to watch the new series that everyone's buzzing about. Halfway through watching the first episode I'm amazed by the absurdity of it. I must say that it's the weirdest first episode I've ever seen. The camera guy's commentary is super funny, as well as Kyon's narration. Everything's so weird that you can't wait for the next episodes!

And the ending video is just hilarious!! Laughing
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Well, after my post 8 pages ago about how this thread convinced me to DL the series, I've finally watched through episode 5. And I must confess, I'm one of the people adding to the glut of "Masterpiece" ratings for MHS, for the mere reason that I couldn't find anything wrong with it--the animation is beautiful, and the story isn't afraid to pile on level upon level of complexity to challenge the viewer. As the spring preview said, its humor is faced-paced on American sitcom-level, which is a refreshing break from most anime. Maybe it just meets my preferences, but I really enjoy the characters in all their weirdness, from the dry skepticism of Kyon to the shyness of Mikuru to the eccentricity and deviousness of Haruhi. It's a shame that it'll be only 14 episodes. But, there's always the novels and the promise of more.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I just watched episode 5 and I was almost wondering if Hideaki Anno directed this episode. But I really do wonder if the author of the novels and/or the director of the TV series was/were influenced by him.

On a side note, I loved Haruhi's face after the second needle draw.
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:29 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I just watched episode 5 and I was almost wondering if Hideaki Anno directed this episode. But I really do wonder if the author of the novels and/or the director of the TV series was/were influenced by him.

You know, I felt the same way watching it. I just get a lot of Evangelion feels with this (in a good way of course).

No purple robots, however....

Maybe I'm crazy, but, spoiler[Perhaps the first episode was a sort of allegory or metaphor for each of the characters. Kyon and Haruhi almost seem to take on a sort of "god" status, at least IMO.]
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:55 am Reply with quote
No, you aren't crazy. The first episode certainly had more meaning than it initially appeared to. It will be interesting to rewatch that episode after seeing the entire series.
Hisdon

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:07 am Reply with quote
JoshuaStChristopher wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

You know, I felt the same way watching it. I just get a lot of Evangelion feels with this (in a good way of course).

No purple robots, however....

Maybe I'm crazy, but, spoiler[Perhaps the first episode was a sort of allegory or metaphor for each of the characters. Kyon and Haruhi almost seem to take on a sort of "god" status, at least IMO.]

the beginning of episode 5 was so NGE 2.0 D;/
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:19 am Reply with quote
Hisdon wrote:
the beginning of episode 5 was so NGE 2.0 D;/

You! Go sit in the corner. Now.

- abunai
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 213