• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Slice-of-Life recommendations.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:07 am Reply with quote
Only Yesterday is definitely my favourite slice-of-life anime. It's gentle pace makes for easy viewing. spoiler[The main plot is one of self-discovery, and never feels rushed, although most will be apt to not want to say farewell.]

I watched From Up on Poppy Hill today, and I enjoyed it far more than Miyazaki Goro's initial attempt at directing a movie, although spoiler[the romance felt forced and just there as filler, at least to some extent.]

Older series I recommend include Mizuiro Jidai, Kodocha and Marmalade Boy, and perhaps Sailor Moon if you can overlook the magical girl aspects. Smile
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Nichijou- Azumanga Daioh on Crack, it's probably the funniest anime I've ever seen. It's the only anime I would hold right next to Azumanga Daioh as a Comedy genius.

Potemayo- another very funny anime, way to underated and it's a short series too so you can finish it with in a couple of days. I laughed out loud plenty of times watching this.

Azumanga Daioh- A true Classic in the anime world, the characters are super memorable and their hijinks is even more memorable. Definently a work of masterpiece.

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei- A teacher who has committed Suicide on the first episode, an illegal immigrant going by a boys name, a multiple personallity panty flasher, a girl who speaks only through hateful text messages, a girl that sees nothing but the positive aspects of life, a girl that has to have everything 50/50 or she goes insane, a yaoi fan girl, a hikkikomori, a stalker, a normal girl, and a girl who has a fetish for animal tails, all of these are just a hand full of the insanity you would get in this hilarious Slice of Life comedy.

Arakawa Under the Bridge- A guy that once lived the life of luxury that has never owed anybody in his life now owes a girl who saved his life, how does he pay it off? By being her lover in a community under a bridge with all sorts of colorful characters, like a former rock star who has a star for a face, a guy that claims to the rivers Kappa, two twins with Robot heads, and a male nun who used to run an orphanage in london who carries a gun or some kind of weapon at all times. Oh and the girl also believes that she's from Venus as well.

Kodocha- It's an older series but that doesn't mean it isn't any less entertaining, the jokes are a little in your face but they are really good when it comes to fourth wall jokes, it's very funny and also one of the few animes I'd recommend to kids. It's a little long but I've enjoyed every episode I've seen of it so far. The only down side is that Funimation never finished dubbing it.

Bunny Drop- A heart warming drama about a man who takes in his grandfathers 4 year old daughter after he dies, the only down side to this heart warming story is that it's a little on the short side, but I'm not complaining because it ended just the way the manga SHOULD have ended.

Ouran High School Host Club- Now being called an "anime classic" this story follows a young girl named Haruhi who got in to the alite rich kids school Ouran High School with a Scholarship, when she approaches the music room looking for somewhere quiet to study she enters a room full of enchantment and super hot boys, she accidently breaks a vase and is forced into the club to pay off her dues by posing as a boy in this light hearted, heartwarming, Romantic Comedy!

Clannad and Clannad afterstory- both the highest rated anime on this site, this anime classic brings tears of joy, laughter and sorrow as you follow Tomoya Okazaki and Najika Furukawa and their friends through their high school life and beyond. Truely the most beautiful anime I've ever seen in my life.

Marmalade Boy- more of a Romantic Drama than a slice of life but it has it's slice of life parts. It's good but very dramatic.

Great Teacher Onizuki- Besides Arakawa, Nichijou, parts of Clannad, Ouran, Azumanga Daioh and Zetsubou Sensei, it's one of the funniest animes I've ever seen. It's amazing How much a gang member that wanted a teaching job just so he can have sex with high school girls can turn into such an amazing teacher. I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend this. It's one of my favorites on this list besides Nichijou, Ouran, the Clannad series, the first two seasons of Kodocha and Azumanga Daioh. It's a HAVE to watch.

Minami ke, Very slice of life and very relaxing, its funny but not my favorite.

Ninja Nonscence- It's an Ecchi if you don't mind it but it's a slice of life, borderline Yuri anime (I say border line since most of the Yuri parts are part of the Yellow Pacman on drugs thing called Onsokamaru's imagination) none the less I laughed my butt off while watching this.

Lucky Star- It's pretty good for the most part, a little overated but it's pretty good. I hope you know about main streme anime because you'll need a little knowlege about the world of anime and manga to get some of the jokes.

Air- It's pretty sad but it's very good. It's short but excelent.

Last edited by yotsubafanfan on Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:54 pm; edited 3 times in total
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't call Nichijou "slice of life" - more like "slice of the overactive imaginations of the madhouse residents".
loraen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:42 pm Reply with quote
motaku96 wrote:
Mushi-Man wrote:
Genshiken: I think almost everyone can agree that Genshiken is a great slice-of-Life series. It depicts the life of a group of anime fans. Also showing the struggles of a girl, who dislikes things concerning otakus, is in love with one of the Otakus. I think this series is a bit of a rallying cry for anime and manga fans every where. And is also one of my favorite comedies. It has great character development and it really makes you connect with the characters in unexpected ways. (It's also involves quite allot of mature themed comedy, just an FYI)

Yeah, I loved Genshiken. Too bad the second season made me really depressed. It just hit too close to home for me. I swear my life was moving parallel to Sasahara. Nevertheless, I still liked it.

There's been recent replies in this thread but I'm kind of necroing for replying to this to but.. oh my god. Watched Genshiken with a friend who's busy a lot with work and hobbies, but his work is elementary school teacher so he has more free time in the summer. Last episodes of this series were almost painful to watch for me, because I lost my previous job and have been seriously job hunting for a few months now. I could feel Sasahara's pain. "The last interview is with the CEO, but if you fail midway there, why couldn't you just have failed in the first interview?" (edit: at least around here you might get to a single interview and after that the job is yours or not).
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:35 am Reply with quote
manicli wrote:
[Post deleted. st_owly calls it again.]

Why? Put a reason or a mod will delete your post.
speshy

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:30 am Reply with quote
I would recommend Hanasaku Iroha. Just finished all episodes, and although the ending didn't leave me feeling very satisfied, the animation and character development were excellent. It centers on the staff of an onsen and a newcomer employee.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:12 am Reply with quote
This thread certainly has some long gaps!

There are a variety of shows in this thread that I wouldn't classify as slice-of-life like School Rumble. Most of those I'd call comedies.

For a story that hews more closely to the slice-of-life genre, I suggest Showa Monogatari, a quiet little series about a lower-middle-class family in Tokyo set in 1964, the year the Olympics came to Japan. I especially enjoyed the little tours of the actual places depicted in the anime, and the use of old and new photographs to depict Tokyo then and now.
Papochulo

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Nandeyanen wrote:

That explains alot. You learn something new everyday Very Happy

Especially that studio, Shaft, as mentioned on their wikipedia page: The studio is unique due to their use of gags and references to other anime through writing on a classroom chalkboard or any available empty space in the background. The studio is also known for the use of various animation styles in a single series, changes in art style, a characteristic head tilt, abstract background designs, and use of unusual music for the opening sequences of their shows. Currently airing from that studio are "Nisekoi" and "Mekakucity Actors", and coming later this year is another series in the "Monogatari" franchise, which leads me to ask if this series ever going to end?

{Edit - Please refrain from excessive quoting. Thank you. ~ Psycho 101}
Student no.0

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:39 pm Reply with quote
So I've been thinking about going in blind for Nozomi's Sound of the Sky DVD set. Sadly I can't legally stream it where I live on any site, but from what I've been told it's a wonderful slice-of-life show. But I'm a bit worried about the whole 'war' aspect being involved in the setting. Does this series get really dark and violent? Cause really, I just want something 'peaceable' and fun in it's own way even if there's drama. The 16+ rating does have me a bit worried too. Does anyone have anything to say about it here? I'd read some reviews around here but I do want to avoid getting spoiled of course.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:38 pm Reply with quote
So it is now 2016. My question: Did 2015 present any good slice-of-life anime? (Please, no unannotated lists. Thank you.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4