• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
OT: The Oscar for Best Animated Feature goes to . .

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Frankman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:37 pm Reply with quote
. . . Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit, folks.

I think it was a good choice, you really can't say that another Japanese anime got shafted this time. But of course it's up to opinion and there will be those people who believe otherwise. Personally I love the story and animation style of WaG: CotW-R, and it had more cross-demographic appeal. What are your thoughts about the choice?
camelot187757

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Naw man Howl's got cheated and you know it. W&G was dryer than my grandma's forehead cracks. It was slow and uniteresting. Howl's on the other hand had that serious action in it and was 100X more intertaining.

As a side note I hope "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp"(from Hustle and Flow) wins for best song. 3 6 Mafia is performing and is 80% the reason why I'm watchin the Oscars. Howl's was the other 20%
The Frankman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:13 pm Reply with quote
camelot187757 wrote:
Naw man Howl's got cheated and you know it. W&G was dryer than my grandma's forehead cracks. It was slow and uniteresting. Howl's on the other hand had that serious action in it and was 100X more intertaining.

Please, most Japanese anime fans say Howl shouldn't have even been nominated (they say Place Promised in Our Early Days was better). Wallace was awesome, and those who don't agree need to rent the movie and have a spot of cheese. Smile
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Howl's didn't get cheated and we know it, so does the majority of people out there. There's more to a story than action and when it comes to that quality of story Howl's just didn't have it. If you wanted to base the award on action then Steamboy would have likely beat out Howl's in that situation as it handled action and its incorporation into the story much better while supplying much more entertaining and interesting action.

Howl's got nominated, that should be an honour in and of itself. They look at a lot of factors when determining the winner, not just how much action is in it to entertain the people who feed off that alone. As an artform there's a lot that goes into it whether you appreciate those aspects or not. Howl was well animated and provided some decent action but it really fell flat in the story department and that doesn't go unnoticed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DaZ616

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:24 am Reply with quote
It was a tough choice:

W&G or H.M.C.

Either way, they both deserve credit.

Im sure Hayao Miyazaki has had his fair share in winning the award. Maybe it was W&G's turn and especially, how their whole studio burnt down, everything was lost except for the wallace and gromit figurines.

-DaZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:30 am Reply with quote
DaZ616 wrote:
Maybe it was W&G's turn and especially, how their whole studio burnt down, everything was lost except for the wallace and gromit figurines.

-DaZ

Their studio burned down? When did this happen? Of course, if it happened before the end of Jan. '06, I wouldn't have heard about it since I wasn't on the 'net like I am now.

Losing a studio like that must have been devistating, all of the notes drawings, archives, etc. Horrible, just horrible. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

**EDIT** Just ran a search for the fire. It happened the same weekend "Curse" was release here in the U.S. What a kick in the teeth.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movies/10/10/aardman.fire/

This is my first time doing the above, so I hope that I have it right. Rolling Eyes

**EDIT#2** Yay me! Laughing I did do it right! Exclamation
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:14 am Reply with quote
That is simply amazing. I think those guys are feeling A LOT better now.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:34 am Reply with quote
We already have two other threads for this topic. No need for excess redundancy, so I'm locking this one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1