• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ken Otaku Ryu "Hating the Otaku Wave" Published in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:49 am Reply with quote
astra wrote:
I see anime as a bit like Shrek. Shrek was obviously a movie for kids but it threw in alot of pop culture jokes of the wink wink, nudge nudge variety to keep adults entertained. By appealing to both adults and children, it was able to make large profits. Magical girl shows are childish enough for kids but with a little "fanservice" they can get the lolicon market as well.

I'd say this is a fair assessment -- actually, it's a long tradition in Western filmmaking, as well. Disney have been doing it for years. Films targeted at children routinely contain a second layer of storytelling that isn't readily detectable by the children, but it there to satisfy the accompanying adults.

astra wrote:
This leads me to another point I wanted to make about women in anime. Alot of them are dumb beyond all belief, especially in "slice of life" shows or lolicon. These anime definitely support that odd phenomenom when Japanese women want to act "cute." The titter, hide behind their hands, talk in high pitched voices, etc.

The phenomenon you are describing is called burikko. This word describes the whole parcel of tittering, high-pitched speech, false modesty, infantile behaviour, etc. I can attest to the fact that it is as despised in Japan as it is here. Nevertheless, it survives, because it satifies the needs of the target demographic (usually older men).

For more information on the burikko phenomenon, I refer you to
    Laura MILLER: "You are doing burikko!:Censoring/scrutinizing artificers of cute femininity in Japanese."
    In Japanese Language, Gender, and Ideology: Cultural Models and Real People, edited by Janet Shibamoto Smith and Shigeko Okamoto, Oxford University Press, 2004.

astra wrote:
But then you have the shows like Kanon, with the stock "cute one," "bitchy one," "lolicon fanservice one."

Kanon is a somewhat bad example, because it derives from an ero-ge. It is hardly surprising that the characters fit standardised molds.

PandaMan wrote:
I'm not condoneing the guy who gets off to loli/rori manga and only watches a show because of young characters.

Actually, as creepy as it is, my own take on the matter is close to the Japanese official stance: namely, that lolican manga shouldn't be illegal, because it provides a "vent" for people who would otherwise be into much worse things.

PandaMan wrote:
The thing I wish you and others bashing certain fans or certain shows would realize is that many watch these shows for the show itself. Again, look at something like Kamichu. It has a great story, great art, great music, and is generally a good show. If people are pedophiles or "creeps" because they enjoy something other then action, mystery, or drama, you're casting a large and blind net over a lot of anime fans.

Regardless of what some elitists in this thread think, I'm still going to enjoy shows like Victorian Romance Emma, Kamichu, and Honey & Clover. If you wanna blast me for being male and not watching mindless fanservice/action shows, go ahead. I just wish some of you would realize that not everyone watches something like CCS or Kamichu to see underage anime characters bend over or pose a certain way. True you have some that could care less about the show, and just look for the next loli/fanservice character. But again, you have others who watch the show for the show.

Actually, none of the shows you mention are "mindless fanservice shows", but that doesn't necessarily invalidate your point -- which, as I read it, is that sometimes there are good reasons to watch a show regardless of any fanservice present in it.

Personally, I enjoy Ichigo Mashimaro for the humour; Kamichu for the art; Kanon for the pathos; AIR for the emotional roller-coaster ride; and so on. These are all shows that have been accused of fanservice or lolicon tendencies -- but they are also good anime.

Storyteller93 wrote:
So, one time while we were watching an episode of CCS with other friends someone made a comment about how Li was "cute". These were college age people that said a 4th grader was cute. So, what would you think of them then?

Nothing, really -- "cute" is a phrase devoid of sexual content. If I see a kitten, I might exclaim that it is "cute", but that doesn't make me a bestialist.

Storyteller93 wrote:
Here's another one: For me personally, I own several shouen (sorry...late, can't spell) anime's and manga series where the main characters are boys between the ages of 13 - 17. What does this mean about me?

You like to hear people yell the names of attacks before they make them? You've got a weakness for the phrase "I want to be stronger"?

Storyteller93 wrote:
And what if I were to tell you that most of the other DVD's I have are action-adventure-comedy that are clean (no sextual content and overly-graphic violence)? Maybe one of the only ways to get such content in anime is to get an anime that is pointed towards a younger audience and, therefore, mostly cleaner.
And what if I said I was a tomboy and normally would choose action over romance?
(And don't get started on other animes with older characters that are clean like that, I also own other series like Trigun and such.)

So if adult males that watch shows like CCS are "disturbed" what about adult females that watch shows with younger male centered characters.

And thanks to whoever put the diffinitions down. That was useful. I know there are several characters in animes that many of us start to think of as little brothers/sisters. Thats probebly way I like FMA so much. I have two little brothers who are very similar to Ed and Al. So I guess you can say I start to have "protective feeling towards" some of the anime and manga characters out there.

I feel the same way (I have three sons) -- but isn't it interesting that nobody ever accuses this sort of feeling of being "pedophilia"? If, on the other hand, one expresses the same emotions towards a young girl, it is instantly dismissed as "creepy" and "lolicon".

I suspect that a lot of the people who are eager to make such sweeping accusations do so because they can't get a handle on the emotions that they, themselves, experience while watching these underage female characters. They then externalise their fears of inappropriate emotions, by projecting them onto others. If they'd just realise that what they're feeling is protectiveness, not lust, and that there is no reason to fear it, then maybe they'd mature enough to leave the rest of us in peace.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GarBhaD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:34 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

I suspect that a lot of the people who are eager to make such sweeping accusations do so because they can't get a handle on the emotions that they, themselves, experience while watching these underage female characters. They then externalise their fears of inappropriate emotions, by projecting them onto others. If they'd just realise that what they're feeling is protectiveness, not lust, and that there is no reason to fear it, then maybe they'd mature enough to leave the rest of us in peace.

- abunai

I think you suspect too much. Please, don't mix themes that have little to do with each other, really.
The lolicon thing people is disgusted about (or so I think since I can understand their point) doesn't have much to do with this "emotions" you describe. It's just normal to get attached to certain characters, be it in anime, movies, or any other work of fiction.
But it isn't normal to find panty shots in a show aimed for kids.
Watching a couple of series starred by little girls doesn't make you a pervert. But if all your collection only consists of that... well, you will agree that it's suspicious at least.
Can't you get the point or you just don't want to get it?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Iniksbane wrote:
Quote:
What I meant is that you can tell the erotism in the scene, even if it doesn't appeal to you. That is what disturbes me (and everyone else, I guess).

But that's not really my point. You seem to be asserting that because you see the scene as erotic it must be. Now I admit I'm a bit ignorant on this subject since I tend to avoid the magical girl genre, but assuming that something is erotic because you see it as erotic seems flawed.
If it looks like a duck, waddles like a duck, and quacks like a duck, what else could it be? Wink

Quote:
I agree that if the erotic elements are added intentionally than the primary market would be japanese. However, that doesn't necessarily sell me on the fact that these elements are added intentionally. Espicially if their primary audience is little girls and not the niche of a large econimic force in the country that like to see little animated girls naked.
Well taking into account that the Japanese culturally do not hold the naked human body as a visual temptation of sin in a religous manor, that does not say there are not any people who would find such visions arousing without reserve there. Also I have an 11-year-old-daughter who can be labelled as "average". She will react in a repulsed manor at the shear thought of baring her underdeveloped breasts even in the girls changing room at school, because of her instinctive natural embarrassment to such a thought. I have just shown her those two links and she has said the first one was "EEWW!, THAT'S JUST WRONG!" and the second was "Better". so I can't see why the studio would add that visual effect if it was just targeted towards "little girls" But again my daughter isn't Japanese.

Quote:
To put it other terms, college students can be a large economic force in this country, but the amount of college students who like five-day-old pasta would be too small to market to them.
Which is probably the reason you shouldn't find any at your local supermarket. But I'd be willing to bet that there are still copies of the latest Playboy, or Penthouse, etc. on their magazine shelf that get sold quite regularly. Wink
Iniksbane

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This is obviously lolicon and is not aimed at little girls but is fanservice for otakus, just look at the airing hours on the different local channels on the official website (nanoha.com): 25:30~26:00, 25:35~26:05, 25:45~26:15, 24:30~25:00 and 26:05~26:35. Shows airing in the middle of the night are most of the time for otaku.

This is the type of info I was looking for Smile

Quote:
so I can't see why the studio would add that visual effect if it was just targeted towards "little girls" But again my daughter isn't Japanese.

Again thanks for providing me with some evidence for the claim.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Iniksbane wrote:
Quote:
What I meant is that you can tell the erotism in the scene, even if it doesn't appeal to you. That is what disturbes me (and everyone else, I guess).

But that's not really my point. You seem to be asserting that because you see the scene as erotic it must be. Now I admit I'm a bit ignorant on this subject since I tend to avoid the magical girl genre, but assuming that something is erotic because you see it as erotic seems flawed.
If it looks like a duck, waddles like a duck, and quacks like a duck, what else could it be? Wink

I'm glad you asked that question. "What else could it be"? Maybe this guy:

Careful, now. We don't want you getting any erotic thoughts.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Akumaphyre

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:39 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Iniksbane"]
Quote:

Quote:
so I can't see why the studio would add that visual effect if it was just targeted towards "little girls" But again my daughter isn't Japanese.

Again thanks for providing me with some evidence for the claim.

Anecdotal evidence is just that and doesn't really count for much, when you get some "evidence" that is based purely on logic and facts, and not a knee jerk reaction you might have something.
Akumaphyre

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:52 pm Reply with quote
hikaruchan wrote:
just look at the airing hours on the different local channels on the official website (nanoha.com): 25:30~26:00, 25:35~26:05, 25:45~26:15, 24:30~25:00 and 26:05~26:35. Shows airing in the middle of the night are most of the time for otaku. Rolling Eyes And of course they never are for children, they're all supposed to be asleep.

I hate to tell you this but airing time has nothing to do with anything at all as relating to children.
Eureka 7 airs ,at 7 am, on sunday mornings but if anyone has seen this show at all , its fairly obvious that with the themes it deals with that it is not for children, so you can just forget the whole time slot arguement.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Akumaphyre wrote:
hikaruchan wrote:
just look at the airing hours on the different local channels on the official website (nanoha.com): 25:30~26:00, 25:35~26:05, 25:45~26:15, 24:30~25:00 and 26:05~26:35. Shows airing in the middle of the night are most of the time for otaku. Rolling Eyes And of course they never are for children, they're all supposed to be asleep.

I hate to tell you this but airing time has nothing to do with anything at all as relating to children.
Eureka 7 airs ,at 7 am, on sunday mornings but if anyone has seen this show at all , its fairly obvious that with the themes it deals with that it is not for children, so you can just forget the whole time slot arguement.

The "time slot argument" is based in the rather odd assumption that people in general are incapable of programming a recording device to record the middle-of-the-night programming.

Of course, some people have VCRs that perpetually blink "12:00", but somehow I don't see this as being characteristic of anime fans.

- abunai
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:04 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

I'm glad you asked that question. "What else could it be"? Maybe this guy:

- abunai
Ah! Colonel Sanders. Wink

Akumaphyre wrote:
Anecdotal evidence is just that and doesn't really count for much, when you get some "evidence" that is based purely on logic and facts, and not a knee jerk reaction you might have something.
True, one little girl's reaction isn't what you might call "scientific". But how many little girls would be allowed to watch a cartoon at 0100 in the morning, or even be bothered to get up at 0700 on a Sunday morning? Wink
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
abunai wrote:

- abunai

I'll see your Colonel Sanders and raise you Pamela Anderson.

- abunai
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:17 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
abunai wrote:

- abunai

I'll see your Colonel Sanders and raise you Pamela Anderson.

- abunai
Now there's a bird that's been truely Donald Ducked. Laughing
Forsaken Dirge

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Akumaphyre wrote:
True, one little girl's reaction isn't what you might call "scientific". But how many little girls would be allowed to watch a cartoon at 0100 in the morning, or even be bothered to get up at 0700 on a Sunday morning? Wink

Depends really. If you have Boomarang (Tv channel) I'd say there was nothing wrong with a little girl watching a cartoon on that channel at 1am. Also, in regards to being bothered to get up on Sunday, it is entirely possible for kids to rouse themselves to catch a show they like. I remember getting up an extra hour early for school to catch Voltron and the Transformers back in my grade school days.

I'd have to say that time slot isn't always aimed to regulate mature content. If that were the case I'd definitely keep children away from that "highly adult" show Gigantor that runs 5:30am est on Adult Swim. There are many reasons behind run times other than content. Not to say content is never a factor, but cost and popularity are also factors. There are not enough hours in the "prime" viewing block to host every show that would like to make use of it. So, companies and stations have to determine what are the most profitable shows and fill those times with them.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Forsaken Dirge wrote:

Depends really. If you have Boomarang (Tv channel) I'd say there was nothing wrong with a little girl watching a cartoon on that channel at 1am. Also, in regards to being bothered to get up on Sunday, it is entirely possible for kids to rouse themselves to catch a show they like. I remember getting up an extra hour early for school to catch Voltron and the Transformers back in my grade school days.
Any responsible parent, or guardian would not allow a child under the age of 12 to stay up at those hours just to watch a cartoon, especially one with risqué content.

Quote:
I'd have to say that time slot isn't always aimed to regulate mature content. If that were the case I'd definitely keep children away from that "highly adult" show Gigantor that runs 5:30am est on Adult Swim. There are many reasons behind run times other than content. Not to say content is never a factor, but cost and popularity are also factors. There are not enough hours in the "prime" viewing block to host every show that would like to make use of it. So, companies and stations have to determine what are the most profitable shows and fill those times with them.
I thought we were talking about Japanese tele not US tele.
Forsaken Dirge

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Any responsible parent, or guardian would not allow a child under the age of 12 to stay up at those hours just to watch a cartoon, especially one with risqué content.

It's called the weekends. People experience times in which the world is not dictating their every move, here-to-fore called "time off". Sometimes kids are allowed to stay up late, even by "Responsible" parents. Regardless, the point is that "questionable content" is currently under review as to whether or not the shows feature any. If a child wanted to stay up late and was allowed to do so, watching something like Ichigo Mashimaro on TV during that time wouldn't turn them into sex fiends. Don't try and turn this into a right/wrong parenting argument. If any parent actually knows/cares what their kids are watching they are one step ahead of the game, but that's a different topic.

Mohaw52 wrote:
I thought we were talking about Japanese tele not US tele.

We are. Just because I'm not speaking (typing) in japanese doesn't mean I'm not talking about an industry standard of television for another country. The terms and proceedures still apply. Yes, I'm aware of how J-TV differs from other countries TV frameworks, however what I said still remains factual. Gigantor was mentioned simply as an example of a benign show being placed in an unusual time slot.
GarBhaD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Forsaken Dirge wrote:

Depends really. If you have Boomarang (Tv channel) I'd say there was nothing wrong with a little girl watching a cartoon on that channel at 1am.

You should also take in account what kind of channel is, not just time slot.
Well, I don't have any kind of thematic or private channel (it's not as common as in the US, here), but AFAIK there are thematic channels that air content for kids 24h (or sports, news or whatever the theme is).
So, to keep with the example, the channels were Nanoha is aired at such late hours, are thematic channels or general ones?
While time slot may not be the definitive proof of anything, I think it's a pretty good indicative to tell if the show is suitable for certain audiences.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8