• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ken Otaku Ryu "Hating the Otaku Wave" Published in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Am I the only one who is annoyed by abunai's arrogance?

No matter how wrong or right the arguement was, Cherished Knight presented it in a very professional manner and even provided information (accurate or otherwise) to support it. You don't normally find that on message boards like these, especially with newer people. (Yes, that's a generalization.)

Now, it could mean that the person is full of it and just took a Public Speaking/Debate course in school, but the professionalism of the reply is something to be lauded.

Oh, and he does have a point. Perversion is not raging hormonal teenagers (which is where most of "not for kiddies" anime is aimed towards) ; it's normally mature adults who want the portrait of innocence and naivete whether it be vapid eye candy or elementary-age kids.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist wrote:
What I've been wondering for a while is... How far (or how short) does one have to go before they get called a pedophile?

I'm often drawn to young characters in anime, finding them very cute and symphasizing with them in ways I don't for other shows. I love Michiru in Air, for example. I find her very funny and also find her actions adorable. I always thought that "moe" was supposed to be a sort of parental feel toward a young character, kind of what it says in the Lexicon.

Quote:
Moe is a Japanese term used in connection with manga or anime to describe the ideal of youthful and innocent femininity. Written with the kanji for "to bud or sprout" (萌), the concept covers a narrow range of ideal behaviour for youthful female characters in manga or anime. To be properly moe, a character must be eager or perky, not overly independent, and call forth a desire in the viewer to protect them and nurture them.

Doesn't mention sex.

Throwing moe in with lolicon doesn't sound right to me, is all.

But wait, i think when they mention moe, they probably mean the older 25 year old male fan that are obsess with these of "cute innocent" girl. Even if the show was crap, they still love it because it's has cute innocent girls. They hang up poster of cute girls everywhere in their room. A casual fan enjoying a moe show like any other good well-written show is perfectly healthy. On the other hand, Otaku who curl up into a ball and want to die because they witness something extremely cute and innocent everytime they see a moe show are just werido. You know, the one that prefer animated girl to real girl or maybe because they can't get a girl friend in which they have resort to these type of show to fullfill their fantasy, not in a sexual way, but in a way to feel an attraction to the character.

Last edited by darkhunter on Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Iniksbane

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
On the other hand, Otaku who curl up into a ball and want to die because they witness something extremely cute and innocent everytime they see a moe show are just werido.

Honestly I'd have to say what someone said when I told them that someone's fetish was strange. Well it isn't your fetish. Although I don't understand the fascination with cute, innocent depictions of girls, or sexualizing them I'd have to say, as long as they aren't hurting anyone it isn't really bad. Just not my thing.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:03 am Reply with quote
GarBhaD wrote:

abunai wrote:
As for the discussion in general: there is an awful lot of nonsense being said in this thread by people who seem incapable of telling lolicon from moe, or indeed of grasping any foreign concept beyond the level of a general prejudice born in ignorance. Debate is pointless with someone who isn't interested in debating, only in airing their ignorance, so I'm not going to make that effort.

abunai wrote:
CherishedHonor, it isn't often we get a new poster to the forums who can deliver such a well-reasoned and informative first post.

I see... so, people with a different opinion than yours are just ignorants, while those who agree with you are well-informed. I thought you weren't going to participate in such a low debate of ignorants.
Am I the only one who is annoyed by abunai's arrogance?

I fixed your quote. It was a bit confusing because it made it seem like you were complaining about abunai welcoming a new member.

abunai was not talking about people with different oppinions than him. He was observing that many people were making commentary without knowing what "lolicon" and "moe" actually were and what the difference was. People were treating moe and lolicon as the same thing, which is simply wrong. It isn't a difference of opinion, it is a misunderstanding of the terms.

His response to CherishedHonor was simply welcoming him/her to the board and complementing him/her on his/her wonderful first post as many first time posters are, to put it bluntly, atrocious. He wasn't participating in any sort of debate. I'm sure he would have said the same thing even if CherishedHonor took a different position, provided he/she put the same effort into it.
astra

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:17 am Reply with quote
First of all, I'm sorry if I seemed rude when I asked people to read my post before replying. In the past, this has been a problem because I generally tend to disagree with people and they reply based on their pre-conceived notions instead of my actual post.

In response to Sally, the reason I used Chibi-Usa and Sakura as examples is because they are both children. Why should Usa wear the same costume as the rest of the scouts? I believe she is about six while the rest are in their teens. I'll leave the arguement about teenage sexuality out of this and just focus on Usa. It would not have been difficult to lengthen her skirt because of her age. I don't mean to sound like a prude, but I don't really care if I come across as one when we're talking about children.

Like I said in my original post, you are not a pedophile simply if you enjoy shoujo anime and you are not in the target audience. Watching and enjoying CCS does not make you a pedophile. Even watching several shoujo shows does not. However, at a certain point an interest in shoujo anime becomes a fetish. Arguing that nude transformation scenes, panty shots and other fanservice are simply traditions of the genre make no sense whatsoever. In fact, it's a logical fallacy: appeal to tradition. The fact is, those scenes are there for a reason. Also, not all nudity is erotic. The "fanservice," present for the adult male fans and not the young girl fans, varies across many anime. A nude scene in an anime can be erotic or completely innocent.

Here are two examples of the difference between a show that was designed with primarily children in mind and one that was targetted to adults interested in lolicon.

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/171/20041005nanoha3tc.jpg

This image is from Nanoha, an anime mentioned in this thread and shows her transformation. She is not fully nude and yet the transformation sequence is very erotic. She wears a bra and white panties. The panties especially indicate that this is meant to be erotic because of the panty fetish present in Japanese culture. In addition, the shading on the girl's body lead the eyes to the pubic area and breasts.

http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/1308/ahirutransformgirl6dc.jpg

This is an image from Princess Tutu. Ahiru actually gets naked quite a bit during the series but it is never erotic. As you can see in the picture, Tutu's body is fully illuminated and there are no shadows to bring attention to certain parts of her body. Another example would be nudity of young people in Miyazaki movies. The camera angles and shading in the movies show that the emphasis is not on the body shape of the characters. Conversly, the angles in more gratutious anime will provide upskirt shots of their young characters. The difference is in the way the characters are presented.

I am in no way suggesting that everyone who watches shoujo anime who is not a young girl is a pedophile. For example, some otaku watch every anime they come across. But I don't understand how people can enjoy moe and insist they have no pedophilic intentions. Similarly, those anime fans whose shelves are exclusively filled with Azumanga Daio, CCS, Nanoha, etc are definitley interested in more than the childish characters and plots that these series contain. And those people who prefer the titillating Nanoha to the comedic Azumanga probably care more about the underage boobies than the plot.
Akumaphyre

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:29 am Reply with quote
astra wrote:

Here are two examples of the difference between a show that was designed with primarily children in mind and one that was targetted to adults interested in lolicon.
http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/171/20041005nanoha3tc.jpg

http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/1308/ahirutransformgirl6dc.jpg

No offense but you think, you might be over examineing it?
because I don't see it, they look pretty much the same to me, maybe you are looking for something perverse when you see it so thats what you see.

I see pretty much standard mahou shoujo fare in both screenshots nothing erotic at all.

astra wrote:

The panties especially indicate that this is meant to be erotic because of the panty fetish present in Japanese culture.

I think you might be reaching a little hard for this one.....
Iniksbane

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I am in no way suggesting that everyone who watches shoujo anime who is not a young girl is a pedophile. For example, some otaku watch every anime they come across.

From what I've read here this seems to be more a problem of perception rather than a problem in reality. While I agree that just because a type of scene is traditional doesn't exclude the chance of it being erotic, what is or isn't erotic is a perception. I can understand that companies/artists might want to appeal to the fetish, but I haven't seen much of an argument as to why. Do otaku really make up that much of the purchasing public to incorporate those scenes for them? I suppose that I'm displaying my ignorance on this subject, but isn't their target audience young girls? So what do they get out of sexualizng them? That is if your argument is that they do it on purpose.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:31 am Reply with quote
CherishedHonor wrote:
Just don't confuse it with teenagers sleeping around. In most places that's not automatically considered an unhealthy thing. And, to be honest, I wish I'd gotten more sex when I was a teenager. (Didn't get any until I was a senior Sad )
It is here the UK where there is a large problem with children, some as young as 11, becoming pregnant, not by adults but by other children. There is an increase in venereal deceases among the young. Even after years of sex education being taught in schools.
GarBhaD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:40 am Reply with quote
mohawk52 wrote:
It is here the UK where there is a large problem with children, some as young as 11, becoming pregnant, not by adults but by other children. There is an increase in venereal deceases among the young. Even after years of sex education being taught in schools.

Not just in the UK, here too.
Iniksbane wrote:

what is or isn't erotic is a perception.

But isn't that perception kind of "universal"? At least in the countries were anime is aired.
Iniksbane wrote:
I can understand that companies/artists might want to appeal to the fetish, but I haven't seen much of an argument as to why. Do otaku really make up that much of the purchasing public to incorporate those scenes for them? I suppose that I'm displaying my ignorance on this subject, but isn't their target audience young girls? So what do they get out of sexualizng them? That is if your argument is that they do it on purpose.

Now you're getting to the point. I want to know the answer too.

Last edited by GarBhaD on Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
CherishedHonor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:57 am Reply with quote
GarBhaD wrote:
Now, this is an interesting post.

That's news to me and I'm spanish. Still, even if it's legally acceptable, that doesn't mean that people won't freak out upon hearing such news. Common ages for marriages are after reaching majority (18). In fact, nowadays most couples marry older or don't marry at all. Anyway, if you were trying to use the fact that the allowance of marriage is lower to show a more modern or open-minded society, you got it the other way around. That's something of the past (thanks god!), when families were decided by money interests and decisions of parents. That doesn't mean either that it was approved that the couple could have sexual relations.

First of all, yes, it's true (a quick google will show the relevant documentation.)

You're correct, in modern societies the age of marriage trends upward, not downward. The hallmark of a progressive society is a trend away from coercion, and a basis in law that requires demonstrable harm rather than an assumption of it. Arranged marriages are an extreme form a coercion and you will not find them in progressive societies.

As people are more liberated, individuals are free to choose among multiple relationships in order to find the "right" match for themselves. Some people do not find this person until much later in life, and some do not at all.

What happens instead in most modern societies is the protection of young people from coercion, either from their parents or others. In the Netherlands for instance, there is a two-tiered age of consent. 16 is the limit at which this protection is largely removed (an absolute age of consent), however coercion or abuse is not assumed in the affairs of younger teenagers. Rather, a complaint showing coercion (for example, an imposition of psychological coercion through threats of shame, or the abuse of a position of authority) must be made before prosecution takes place. Genuine loving couples can therefore be spared, while predatory individuals can still be prosecuted. An older individual looking for a naive 13-year-old because they feel they can browbeat them into an affair would be wise to not attempt it in the Netherlands, as it would almost assuredly result in prosecution, while a couple that met on equal terms would not be pursued.

The original point was not about this, however. Rather the point was that more liberal legal policies exist in a great many western countries, while Japan has laws that are somewhat closer to those of the United States. The national age of consent remains, but it is mostly invalidated by prefectural law. Tokyo is a major exception, which has opted instead to enact something closer to Dutch-style legislation allowing the prosecution of predatory relationships against minors, without mandating prosecution of all relationships. Teenagers can still sleep around if they want, but not for money, and prosecutions can still take place in other relationships where there is a complaintant or where it is egregriously not a "loving" relationship.

Quote:
Of course it's not accepted. Who said it was? Any sane person would get disgusted. Most would even tell you that it's sick. Just try showing somebody the opening sequence of MoonPhase and look at his/her reaction (don't try it at home! Wink ).

What was implied was that this sort of activity had somehow become "mainstream" in Japan, where in fact is has not.

Quote:
While you have a point that it's better that they commit crimes in their minds instead than in real life, you have to agree that a society with a considerable number of people affected by such an obsession has a serious problem. In fact, their numbers are so considerable as to make their interests reach mainstream. I think that's what the discussion was about. Not if lolicon was acceptable or not. Because it is not accepted, the author of the book uses it against otakus (like if all otakus were lolicons Rolling Eyes ).

I would argue that the percentage of people with this problem is relatively constant among societies.That the sexual abuse of prepubescents is actually higher in the United States would be an indication that these individuals are just as common there. What I was trying to convey was that Japan is only perceived to be somehow more affected because of its widespread acceptance of works of fiction as an alternative to driving such individuals to real-life expressions of their disorder.

Similarly, the fact that some countries allow the distribution of works depicting coprophagia (for those with smaller dictionaries, this means the rather disturbing and disgusting practice of eating, well, poo) does not imply that the citizens of that country are more inclined to have a taste for feces.

I guess what I'm trying to argue is that there's really nothing to be upset about. Things are getting better, not worse, and the availability of manga and anime that cater to lolicon otaku is of benefit to society rather than a detriment.

I think we're in agreement, however, that the rest of us should not be judged collectively as lolicon just because some people are.

...and I hope to god most of us are not really into eating poo, either. Rolling Eyes
Iniksbane

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But isn't that perception kind of "universal"? At least in the countries were anime is aired.

Not really. Some people find bondage or vampirism erotic. That doesn't necessarily mean that they are erotic, or even when they are used that they are being used in an erotic fashion.

The same is true here. You could assume that the shading or clothing (or lack thereof) is intentionally erotic, but on the other hand you could also assume that the viewer is seeing things that aren't really there or at least aren't intentionally there.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:20 am Reply with quote
CherishedHonor wrote:
What was implied was that this sort of activity had somehow become "mainstream" in Japan, where in fact is has not.

Excellent point. The fact that something is widely discussed, and that it is tolerated among a fringe for reasons of principle (i.e., freedom of speech), does not imply that it is widely adopted as a cultural practice.

CherishedHonor wrote:
I would argue that the percentage of people with this problem is relatively constant among societies.That the sexual abuse of prepubescents is actually higher in the United States would be an indication that these individuals are just as common there. What I was trying to convey was that Japan is only perceived to be somehow more affected because of its widespread acceptance of works of fiction as an alternative to driving such individuals to real-life expressions of their disorder.

Similarly, the fact that some countries allow the distribution of works depicting coprophagia (for those with smaller dictionaries, this means the rather disturbing and disgusting practice of eating, well, poo) does not imply that the citizens of that country are more inclined to have a taste for feces.

A truly interesting analogy -- not least because one of the most famous counterculture artists in the United States, Robert Crumb, used images of coprophagia as one of the signature elements of his idiosyncratic style. I doubt that anyone is going to suggest that eating faeces is any more prevalent in the U.S. than elsewhere (in the actual, not metaphorical, sense, of course).

CherishedHonor wrote:
I think we're in agreement, however, that the rest of us should not be judged collectively as lolicon just because some people are.

...and I hope to god most of us are not really into eating poo, either. Rolling Eyes

Hmm. It goes against the grain for me to resist a straight line like that, but I think I'd better hold back, for once. Wink

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:44 am Reply with quote
Iniksbane wrote:

From what I've read here this seems to be more a problem of perception rather than a problem in reality. While I agree that just because a type of scene is traditional doesn't exclude the chance of it being erotic, what is or isn't erotic is a perception. I can understand that companies/artists might want to appeal to the fetish, but I haven't seen much of an argument as to why. Do otaku really make up that much of the purchasing public to incorporate those scenes for them? I suppose that I'm displaying my ignorance on this subject, but isn't their target audience young girls? So what do they get out of sexualizng them? That is if your argument is that they do it on purpose.
This report will enlighten you about that.

CherishedHonor wrote:
...and I hope to god most of us are not really into eating poo, either.
6 billion rabbits can't be all wrong Laughing
Iniksbane

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This report will enlighten you about that.

That is an interesting article, and I see the point. However, it really doesn't answer my fundamental question. Is there a market for sexualizing little girls in the entire otaku market? And is it enough for anime producers to add elements to an anime that is not directed at there core market for the show?
GarBhaD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:24 am Reply with quote
Iniksbane wrote:
Not really. Some people find bondage or vampirism erotic. That doesn't necessarily mean that they are erotic, or even when they are used that they are being used in an erotic fashion.

The same is true here. You could assume that the shading or clothing (or lack thereof) is intentionally erotic, but on the other hand you could also assume that the viewer is seeing things that aren't really there or at least aren't intentionally there.

What I meant is that you can tell the erotism in the scene, even if it doesn't appeal to you. That is what disturbes me (and everyone else, I guess).

CherishedHonor wrote:
What was implied was that this sort of activity had somehow become "mainstream" in Japan, where in fact is has not

hmm... I guess that the word "mainstream" wasn't the best choice.
By the little knowledge I have of japanese society, I understand that the first ones to be freaked out about pedophilia becoming a common thing are the japanese themselves Wink
What I meant (and I understood when other posters used that word) is that anime with these traits are becoming more and more common. It's not just about a doujinshi that can only be found in some hidden bookshop, but high profile anime series aired through all the country. The fact that producers think they will get more audience by resorting to this is worrying. Is it true then that a big percentage of Japan's otakus are lolicons? (and therefore the author of Ken Otaku Ryu is right!?). If not, why producers add this material to their series? Where did they got the wrong idea? (or all the people rich enough to support anime are perverts like in Speed Grapher? Rolling Eyes ). Or is just a temporary trend?

I have the feeling that there's a growing tendency to add such "features" in current animes. Well, most of the material I've watched is pretty recent (2000 onwards) but I still know a bunch of classics. So I'm just being paranoid and this kind of thing has always been around (at this level, that is)?

Quote:
I would argue that the percentage of people with this problem is relatively constant among societies.

I never said that other societies didn't have any problem at all Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8