• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Goro Miyazaki

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Praetor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:51 am Reply with quote
New here, just found out a few days ago about Hayao Miyazaki's son, Goro, working on his film adaptation of Ursula K. Leguin's "Earthsea" tales. I am one who is very happy to learn of this and am eagerly waiting for its US debut. Some time ago, there was a miserable attempt to adapt into live filmed performance of U.K. Leguin's stories which I don't know if any of you are familiar with a program that features science fiction and/or horror shows, but the channel is called the"Sci-fi Channel" and there the was, I suppose, hype surrounding a feature based on U.K. Leguin's story called "Legend of Earthsea" well, if any of you have seen it or not, let me just say that, for me, I am in total agreement with Ms. Leguin in that what the producers did in the end with her story there is no resemblance other than by the names of characters, is rewrite and changed dynamically the original form. I'm just really excited about this feature. I am HOPING that Goro's adaptation will more than just keep the integrity of the book's but also adhere to the tale as it is originally written and with the original characters and situation. I am waiting with patience. Wink
Kouji

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:38 am Reply with quote
I'm just hoping it'll be a good movie. I've never read the Earthsea novels but I love Studio Ghibli films but I'm worried about how this one will turn out. Goro has had no experience in directing or even in the animation field at all (his previous career was as a landscaper, if I'm not mistaken) and it doesn't help that Miyazaki-san is against his son's directing of the movie. I suppose everybody has to start somewhere, though you would think if Goro wanted to get in the animation business, he would start off small like his father did as an animator or something. In fact, I personally think he would do better as an animator because his experience in landscaping could help Studio Ghibli animate even more beautiful landscapes and enviroments than ever before, that is if he has any artistic talent. It just seems odd to jump from a job that had nothing to do with animation to a career as an anime director. I guess everyone has to start somewhere and with Studio Ghibli backing him up, it could turn out to be a great film, and even if someone has had experience with animation before, it doesn't neccessarily always mean that the movie will be great (I thought The Cat Returns was a terrible film even though it's also a Studio Ghibli film, for instance), so I guess all we can do is wait and see how it'll turn out.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
angel_lover

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:23 am Reply with quote
Le Guin has not had a good time with adaptations. Of the three live action adaptations of her works, two have been pretty bad, and the other one OK for its era and budget but beset with mishaps like legal difficulties and loss of the master reels. I have no idea what Goro Miyazaki will make of this adaptation, but I do know he'll have a hard job on his hands. Often it's the best books that are the most difficult to adapt.
Praetor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:49 am Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
I'm just hoping it'll be a good movie. I've never read the Earthsea novels but I love Studio Ghibli films but I'm worried about how this one will turn out. Goro has had no experience in directing or even in the animation field at all (his previous career was as a landscaper, if I'm not mistaken) and it doesn't help that Miyazaki-san is against his son's directing of the movie. I suppose everybody has to start somewhere, though you would think if Goro wanted to get in the animation business, he would start off small like his father did as an animator or something. In fact, I personally think he would do better as an animator because his experience in landscaping could help Studio Ghibli animate even more beautiful landscapes and enviroments than ever before, that is if he has any artistic talent. It just seems odd to jump from a job that had nothing to do with animation to a career as an anime director. I guess everyone has to start somewhere and with Studio Ghibli backing him up, it could turn out to be a great film, and even if someone has had experience with animation before, it doesn't neccessarily always mean that the movie will be great (I thought The Cat Returns was a terrible film even though it's also a Studio Ghibli film, for instance), so I guess all we can do is wait and see how it'll turn out.
It's a relief that you will reserve your judgment until the work gets a proper viewing and also it is a reminder that although whatever it is that we may be in life in regards to what we do, i.e., profession, occupation, etc. that may not necessarily be what we wish to truly do. I don't know if you know a little about Osamu Tezuka, but here's an FYI, he educated himself and I believe he would have been a physician or in the medical field, but his true calling and passion, for him, was in the story/illustration/comics. He changed his profession in order to answer his calling. Crudely said, but the message comes through. So, I am hopeful for Goro Miyazaki and for everyone who live the life they love and are not just 'doing what they're told to do or expected to", even our own parents are not omniscient, and this line of thought can include so called 'friends' and so on. And in addition, I'm not biased against women, but in truth, I am glad that the son differs from the father, because although Mr. Hayao Miyazaki has great works to back up his reputation in his field, I for one, am glad that the son has taken on a project and that this film features a 'male' lead in a feature film for I am not knocking Hayao but I would like to see a 'male' lead. Nearly all of Hayao Miyazaki's films the lead has been females. Not knocking that. Hayao, himself, admitted candidly once on interview that he tends towards females. Fine. But all the time? Every film? So, Hayao, himself, may not know everything that is best. I look forward to Goro's differing approach very much. Idea In that it will differ from the Hayao Miyazaki style. I look forward very much for THAT.
Praetor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:05 pm Reply with quote
angel_lover wrote:
Le Guin has not had a good time with adaptations. Of the three live action adaptations of her works, two have been pretty bad, and the other one OK for its era and budget but beset with mishaps like legal difficulties and loss of the master reels. I have no idea what Goro Miyazaki will make of this adaptation, but I do know he'll have a hard job on his hands. Often it's the best books that are the most difficult to adapt.
It's the producers and script writers who claim that they will stay 'true' to the message of her books when, in fact, they've altered the story to such extremes in the name of ' in the medium of film' the story is quite essentially unrecognizable don't for a minute believe these producers were coordinating with the author. What the producers and writers (re-writers) have done to Ms. Leguin's story is miserable. What was put up on screen is an absolute departure, other than by names of characters, unless you have read the books carefully, you won't have a clue as to how incredibly 'creative liberties' these producers ran with it.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:03 am Reply with quote
I've always enjoyed Le Guin's SF books better than her fantasy stories. Although it's been a number of years since I read Earthsea (back when there were still only 3 books in the series) I remember them being very internal stories based around much soul searching. Her Hugo award winning books, The Dispossesed and The Left Hand of Darkness are far more impressive social commentary novels. I also feel as though her science fiction novels are more cinematic than her fantasy stories. Part of the problem with Earthsea is that each book is it's own very distinct story. It isn't like Lord of the Rings, or Wheel of Time where unresolved plots are carried into the next book. Making multiple Earthsea stories would be like turning the first four Ender stories into one film, or turning the first four Vampire Chronicle books into one film. Unless they only do the first book, I can't see how they can be faithful to the novel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1