• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
christmas anime suggestions?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anime mommy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:26 am Reply with quote
Hi everyone!

I have two daughters ages 13 and 11 who are heavily into anime. They have a dvd collection that ya wouldn't believe.

Anyway, I'm looking for maybe some new titles to get them for Xmas. I live in a small town, so I have to order a lot of the dvds online, and most of the sites don't seem to list the ratings for the movies. So, I thought I would come here and seek out some suggestions for some titles maybe that would be appropriate for them.

Some of their favorites are: Kodocha, Fruits Basket, Full Metal Alchemist. That is the favorites of my 13 year old.

For my 11 year old she likes: Pokemon (shhhh...she's just 11. Wink ), Case Closed, Galaxy Angel, Inyu Yasha, You're under Arrest.

Any suggestions to different titles you could give me, would really be appreciated! I've been thinking about Love Hina for my 13 year old..there isn't anything too graphic in them, is there?

Thanks so much!

C~
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:47 am Reply with quote
Popotan! They run a Christmas shop! It would be perfect for Christmas... don't get it though. Really. That was a joke. I don't know about Love Hina, it wasn't really made to be targeted at girls (it was mainly targeted at guys actually). I'd recommend Angelic Layer for the littler one. It's alot like Pokemon with all the battling and collecting and stuff except it's better IMO. And its also made by CLAMP, a very good anime company. For the older one... um, can't think of one right now, I'll get back to you on that.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:51 am Reply with quote
Unless you're okay with perverted jokes (i.e. groping, semi-nakeness)

I personally liked love hina, but it has a lot of repeating that drives some people away.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:52 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Popotan! They run a Christmas shop! It would be perfect for Christmas... don't get it though. Really. That was a joke. I don't know about Love Hina, it wasn't really made to be targeted at girls (it was mainly targeted at guys actually). I'd recommend Angelic Layer for the littler one. It's alot like Pokemon with all the battling and collecting and stuff except it's better IMO. And its also made by CLAMP, a very good anime company. For the older one... um, can't think of one right now, I'll get back to you on that.

how about cardcaptor sakura? too bad there isn't a uncut dub
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:55 am Reply with quote
shirokiryuu wrote:

That's why I didn't mention it, there isn't a good dub. From my experience children don't really like subs.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:18 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
shirokiryuu wrote:

That's why I didn't mention it, there isn't a good dub. From my experience children don't really like subs.

argreed. such a pity, cardcaptor sakura is such a good one too.

i wish my mommy was nice enough to give me anime for christmas Crying or Very sad
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:21 am Reply with quote
shirokiryuu wrote:
i wish my mommy was nice enough to give me anime for christmas Crying or Very sad

What? Why doesn't she? I hate to see people unhappy. Something must be done about this...
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:23 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
shirokiryuu wrote:

What? Why doesn't she?

sometimes, but she has no anime knowledge, so once she got me the Ah! my Goddess movie because she wanted to get me a movie, not the series (i've never seen that series then)

but i was still happy, it was a good movies

my dad is so pro-education he doesn't want me to buy anime, etc.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:25 am Reply with quote
Anime is very educational. Um kind of. You get to learn about Japanese culture. Kind of. Depending on the series.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:27 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Anime is very educational. Um kind of. You get to learn about Japanese culture. Kind of. Depending on the series.

my dad wouldn't believe me.. haha

"chinese is more useful!"

he's not that mean, he just doesn't like to "waste time"
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:30 am Reply with quote
shirokiryuu wrote:
sometimes, but she has no anime knowledge, so once she got me the Ah! my Goddess movie because she wanted to get me a movie, not the series (i've never seen that series then)

Just a suggestion. You could make a Christmas list, then she will know what to get you and you won't be dissapointed.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:41 am Reply with quote
Okay, I thought of another one that possibly your older daughter may like. It's called Fushigi Yuugi. Although slightly out dated it is still a very good romance with some action mixed in. It's an anime that is one of my sister's favorites, she also really likes Fullmetal Alchemist and Fruits Basket a lot too. I think your daughter will probably enjoy the title.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:44 am Reply with quote
for a good sit-down, watch with your kids Christmas anime movie, I can't think of anything better than "Tokyo Godfathers". It does have some strong language, but it's good. The only downside (and I say downside only because you have younger daughters) is that it's only available in subs (Japanese audio, english subtitles), so they'll need to have some well developed reading skills. But if they can keep up with subtitles, it's a great choice.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:47 am Reply with quote
Really, I wouldn't recommend subs to any child under 14. They usually don't enjoy them. It was the same with me when I was younger. It's just that dubs keep them much more interested. I don't know its kind of wierd.
daxomni

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:01 am Reply with quote
anime mommy wrote:
I live in a small town, so I have to order a lot of the dvds online, and most of the sites don't seem to list the ratings for the movies.

Most anime-oriented sites (such as http://www.animenation.com and http://www.rightstuf.com ) always seem to have the ratings listed from what I've seen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3