• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
MS IGLOO.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sommer89

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Why is it so hard to find this show on dvd/decent price/not a bootleg/and in region 1. Im a huge gundam fan.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:44 pm Reply with quote
It's probably out of print. I did a bit of sniffing around for this post because I didn't even know it had been licensed, and it turns out it was released in Region 1 by Bandai Visual USA, who was apparently merged with Bandai Entertainment in 2008 and their assets liquidated. Probably means that either the license lapsed when Bandai Visual USA effectively folded, or Bandai Entertainment now holds the license and never bothered to re-release it on DVD. Given how every Gundam property released in Region 1 from Zeta onward was a massive financial bust, I wouldn't be surprised if that's exactly the case. Of course, the fact that Bandai Visual USA tried to charge $50 per three episodes for a Gundam OVA very few people here have ever heard of (and a Universal Century one at that, which is especially bad for business on this continent for some reason) probably didn't help its chances of selling well, either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Their dvd's also tended to have very low print runs after they switched to distributing themselves- they were priced high, because they really were limited collector's items in that sense. Anything outside of the Patlabor movies and original Gunbuster boxset(distributed by Image Ent) are super hard to find now outside of RightStuf.

No idea if Bandai Ent. got their series rights after they merged- in terms of unreleased stuff, they did release Sola, though Sentai Filmworks picked up the rights to another show they had [w/a Grim Reaper? forget the exact name]. The only other title of theirs Bandai Ent released was reissues of the Gunbuster movies. Bandai did recycle the Honneamise label for the Gundam Unicorn and Akira blurays though, so who knows? We'll just have to wait and see.

Didn't the Igloo OVA's also have a limited release in Japan?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1