• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
genre defining

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beezis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I want an opinion thread as to what you all think was an anime that defined its genre or simply stood above all the rest and why.

For me, I would have to say that in the genre of fantasy, Last Exile is what stands above all others. It is original to the entire genre and is still nearly impossible to flaw. My favorite things about it are not just the amazing art quality but it's plot that is so seemlessly flowing. The characters you never become tired of and are all so well developed that never stand in the background or lack importance to the main plot.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, although there are better harem/bishoujo in my opinion, Tenchi Muyo and Oh! My Goddess, were the anime that pretty much defined the harem/bishoujo genre. I personally liked Da Capo, Mai Hime, and Air better, I think they improved upon what was already established as well as adding a few new twists to the genre.

Last edited by PantsGoblin on Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:49 am; edited 2 times in total
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:59 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Well, although there are better harem in my opinion, Tenchi Muyo and Oh! My Goddess, were the anime that pretty much defined the harem genre. I personally liked Da Capo, Mai Hime, Azumanga Daioh, and Air better, I think they improved upon what was already established as well as adding a few new twists to the genre.

You're forgetting that those are the few sucesses. The rest are copy cats that twist only a few things.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
one3rd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:59 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Well, although there are better harem in my opinion, Tenchi Muyo and Oh! My Goddess, were the anime that pretty much defined the harem genre. I personally liked Da Capo, Mai Hime, Azumanga Daioh, and Air better, I think they improved upon what was already established as well as adding a few new twists to the genre.

While Azumanga Daioh does have a primarily female cast, it is quite far from being a harem show. A harem show will generally have a central male character where one or more of a group of generally three or more girls are vying for his affection. Most harem shows could be labeled as romantic comedies. Azumanga Daioh has no such central lead character and no romance at all. the only recurring male characters are the perverted teacher and Chiyo's...dad. In short, a large group of girls does not imply a harem.
excel7769

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:36 pm Reply with quote
beezis wrote:
I want an opinion thread as to what you all think was an anime that defined its genre or simply stood above all the rest and why.

By far and away Neon Genesis Evangelion Defined Giant Robot anime, there's not another mech out there, that doesn't have a little Eva Look to it, sure you could say the genre was defined in Robotech or Gundam, (And they did come out before Eva) But now a days I can't see any giant robot anime drawing it's infulence from something other than Eva (Remember it's only my opinion)

For the 'Magical Girl' Anime, you'd have to go with Sailor Moon because the success of that show, at home (in japan) and abroad (U.S. and others) opened a huge door for this genre, I can't think of one person who hasn't heard of Sailor Moon (Even among the non-otaku)

For Harem Anime, I'm going to agree with many of you Tenchi Muyo is the way to go, in fact most others that I've seen have drawn heavily from Tenchi Muyo. Shy akward boy, and many impossibly hot women, who for whatever reason seem to really go after that same boy, who in the real world couldn't get a date to save his life Laughing

Finally I'm going to throw out the 'Girls with Guns' Anime (Which I guess would fit into the broader catagory of action) And say that Noir really re-defined, this genre which started with titles such as Gun Smith Cats, and Dirty Pair (Both original and new) again I can't see another 'Girls with Guns' anime out there that didn't take some elements from Noir with it, or at least the attitude.

"That's my Story and I'm sticking to it."

Last edited by excel7769 on Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:00 am Reply with quote
beezis wrote:
For me, I would have to say that in the genre of fantasy, Last Exile is what stands above all others. It is original to the entire genre and is still nearly impossible to flaw. My favorite things about it are not just the amazing art quality but it's plot that is so seemlessly flowing. The characters you never become tired of and are all so well developed that never stand in the background or lack importance to the main plot.

Last Exile is a great series, but I would hardly consider it a fantasy series or a defining series for whatever genre it's really in. (Sci-Fi, maybe?) It is, in fact, a very atypical series, and "genre-defining" series are ones that have proven to be heavily-copied and/or influential and/or have set the standards for the genre. They are not necessarily always the best series of their type, either.

If you're talking about fantasy series, it would be sorely tempting to name Record of Lodoss War as the defining title. Among other things, it set the standard for how elves are depicted in anime.

For super-hero team series, Gatchaman is the defining title because it both started the genre and set the cookie-cutter pattern for dozens of series that followed.

For mecha series, Mobile Suit Gundam inarguably defined the genre's "modern" look, while Neon Genesis Evangelion completely redefined their look and storytelling 16 years later.

For martial arts anime, Fist of the North Start (the original) is unquestionably the defining title, as it set the standard for over-the-top martial arts action.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:09 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
For mecha series, Mobile Suit Gundam inarguably defined the genre's "modern" look, while Neon Genesis Evangelion completely redefined their look and storytelling 16 years later.

I agree with this statement. While Neon Genesis Evangelion brought much new life into the giant robot genre with its emphasis on shady plot, darker tone, and experiments in character definition, it only brought up a new way of utilizing the genre. Mobile Suit Gundam is really the reason why the giant robot genre evolved into a "higher calling" than its super robot origins, as amusing as they may be. One could also make an arguement about Macross's impact on the giant robot genre, though I'd still stick by Mobile Suit Gundam for the single defining anime of the genre.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:43 am Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
Mobile Suit Gundam is really the reason why the giant robot genre evolved into a "higher calling" than its super robot origins, as amusing as they may be.

Certainly. Gundam was the third generation of mecha. Tetsujin 28-go (Gigantor) was the first, and Mazinger Z was the second. Furthermore, Mazinger and its related robots by Go Nagai were the genuine "Super Robots (スーパーロボット);" Gundam and others are "Real Robots (リアルロボット)" for their more realistic technical settings. For a comparison of "super" and "real" robots, click here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:06 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
While Azumanga Daioh does have a primarily female cast, it is quite far from being a harem show. A harem show will generally have a central male character where one or more of a group of generally three or more girls are vying for his affection. Most harem shows could be labeled as romantic comedies. Azumanga Daioh has no such central lead character and no romance at all. the only recurring male characters are the perverted teacher and Chiyo's...dad. In short, a large group of girls does not imply a harem.

I guess I should have said bishoujo instead of harem, they're so closely related that sometimes I mix them up. I kind of consider them to be the same thing, even though I really know there is a difference.

IchigoK90 wrote:
You're forgetting that those are the few sucesses.

Hardly, there have been many more sucessful bishoujo/harem anime that have never come to the US that sell great in Japan. There is even a video game genre (one of the largest in Japan) that many of these types of anime are based on or vice versa. These types of games, otherwise known as renai/bishoujo games are basically non-existant in the US. The US just generally doesn't like the bishoujo/harem genre.

Last edited by PantsGoblin on Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:13 am Reply with quote
Last Exile is often referred to as part of the steam punk genre which Steamboy would also be considered a part of. It's not a very major genre though so defining it wouldn't be that difficult.

As for NGE defining giant robots I'm not so sure. While I don't think the Gundams or Robotech were the greatest I do think they are the ones most people think of when the genre is brought up. Much the way Record of Lodoss War comes to mind with fantasy.

It's a hard topic though because most people have a genre defined by different titles. It's not always so much which is the best but which you first saw of the genre.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
one3rd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:14 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
one3rd wrote:

I guess I should have said bishoujo instead of harem, they're so closely related that sometimes I mix them up. I kind of consider them to be the same thing, even though I really know there is a difference.

I'll have to disagree with your bishoujo tag as well. Rather than pretty girls, AzuDai has more realistic characters. Just regular high school girls doing things that regular high school girls might do. Large female cast, yes. Bishoujo, no.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:18 am Reply with quote
The definition of a bishoujo defines it as being an anime featuring a large cast of "cute and attractive" female characters. I don't know about you but I, as well as many other people find the characters of Azumanga Daioh to be very "cute and attractive". Seems to fit the definition as far as I see.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:54 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:

Using Nyuu as a typical bishoujo is very, very wrong, Wiki. Twisted Evil

I agree with one3rd. Unless the author wants to create a repulsive and detestable character intentionally, most female anime characters are "cute and attractive" in some way, even including antagonists. Compared with other titles with more female than male characters, girls of AzuDai have much less (if any) sexual appeal and less bishoujo-like.

There's the other extreme e.g. Mai-Otome episode 6.... Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, I guess characters that are "cute and attractive" all depend on the person who's judging them to determine whether they are "cute and attractive". For me, I found them to pocess those characteristics so I automatically labeled it as a bishoujo. I guess streotypically speaking, though they're not really that "cute and attractive", so I'll go with it not being a bishoujo.

Looking foward to episode six of Mai Otome far more than I was before now. I know, I'm evil...Arika...drool...
beezis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Ok, so maybe Last Exile isn't a fantasy anime but it's very hard to class because it is such a unique hybrid. Sci-fi? When I hear sci-fi i think Ghost in the Shell or Outlaw Star, not so much Last Exile but i guess it fits there better than anywhere else.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2