• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Should I sell my Kodocha box set or not?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I have the first complete box set (not the thinpak) of Kodocha.
I want to get some opinions whether I should sell it or buy the second set. Is it worth keeping or not?

I haven't watched it yet so I want to know if it deserves some place in my shelf.

what do you think?
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Watch the first disc, then decide.

Me, I bought Kodocha solely for the babbit shoulder bag that came in the volume 1+ artbox set- hey, I'm a sucker for a good pack-in. I think it took me all of 15 minutes to fall madly in love with the show. I think it's an absolute must-have and a travesty that the second half was never liscensed... but since it didn't sell well enough for that, I'm apparently in the minority there. It's your call.

Oh, yeah- those spots where the audio goes out in the Japanese track? It's supposed to do that. Liscening issues. Don't panic like I did. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:36 pm Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
Watch the first disc, then decide.

Me, I bought Kodocha solely for the babbit shoulder bag that came in the volume 1+ artbox set- hey, I'm a sucker for a good pack-in. I think it took me all of 15 minutes to fall madly in love with the show. I think it's an absolute must-have and a travesty that the second half was never liscensed... but since it didn't sell well enough for that, I'm apparently in the minority there. It's your call.

Oh, yeah- those spots where the audio goes out in the Japanese track? It's supposed to do that. Liscening issues. Don't panic like I did. Wink

thanks that kinda helps....
aereus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:16 am Reply with quote
I guess there's always Youtube to listen to 19:00 News, right? Smile

(That was the Japanese OP1 song that the band wouldn't give permission to be licensed outside Japan) They just used the OP2 (Ultrarelax) in place of OP1, which isn't too bad since that song is also awesome.
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:23 am Reply with quote
Kadocha's what you watch on a spring or summer afternoon on the porch on a laptop while sipping sweet tea or your other beverage of choice. It complements the warm airiness of that setting, and like a good beverage, it's best enjoyed occasionally.

Wait until you've watched it all the way through, one or two episodes at a time. But do watch it all before putting it on the market.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:52 am Reply with quote
I agree with ^.

And, if you do decide to sell it, PM me. I've considered purchasing that title for a while now. For the right price, I'll gladly take it off of your hands. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:02 am Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
I guess there's always Youtube to listen to 19:00 News, right? Smile

(That was the Japanese OP1 song that the band wouldn't give permission to be licensed outside Japan) They just used the OP2 (Ultrarelax) in place of OP1, which isn't too bad since that song is also awesome.

You know, I looked it up on Youtube once I figured out all the liscensing snafu stuff (and realized I did not have to mail back my new favorite show for being defective). My excact thoughts were, "Oh, it's that one song from the This is Otakudom paraody. Why does the band/producer think so highly of this? It's pretty average." Laughing
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I have this on my shelf and the second box-set too. Unfortunately Funimation never finished the series and I never heard why.

If I were you I would keep it. It is a keeper.

The story has some very odd aspects to it but it isn't meant to be realistic. One thing I really like about it is the affection the creators have for each of the characters. No matter how goofy or dysfunctional, they all get to be the straight man at times. Almost as good as Hayate.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:45 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I have this on my shelf and the second box-set too. Unfortunately Funimation never finished the series and I never heard why.

If I were you I would keep it. It is a keeper.

The story has some very odd aspects to it but it isn't meant to be realistic. One thing I really like about it is the affection the creators have for each of the characters. No matter how goofy or dysfunctional, they all get to be the straight man at times. Almost as good as Hayate.

thanks for your comments...
i've just finished the first 5 episodes....it's hilariooous.....i like it so far....i might buy the second box set and finish the whole thing eventhough it's not really complete....did the last episode (dubbed by Funi) felt like "it's not finished yet" or did it feel like "it ended well" (for someone who didn't know that there's 52-100+ episodes more)? I watched "saiunkoku" and I like how it ended even after I heard that there's second season that hasn't been dubbed yet. my mom even got carried away. she thought "saiunkoku" is good.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:58 am Reply with quote
28076004505531 wrote:
i've just finished the first 5 episodes....it's hilariooous.....i like it so far....i might buy the second box set and finish the whole thing eventhough it's not really complete....did the last episode (dubbed by Funi) felt like "it's not finished yet" or did it feel like "it ended well" (for someone who didn't know that there's 52-100+ episodes more)?

The very, very last episode of the funi release is a recap episode with a lot of the cast debating the excact nature of Sana and Akito's relationship, and mentioning the cast will be in middle school next time. That episode alone is your only real tip-off that there's more of the show, since the one right before that wraps up a pretty major plot arc and feels conclusive. It's an excellent place to stop- you won't feel cheated.
EricJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:58 pm Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
I think it's an absolute must-have and a travesty that the second half was never licensed... but since it didn't sell well enough for that, I'm apparently in the minority there. It's your call.

Think it was the same reason that Funi dropped Sgt. Frog at one point:
They'd been so tunnel-visionedly set on grooming Kodocha for a sweet cable-broadcast release, it didn't get one, and they weren't happy with just the disk sales anymore to the point they considered it a liability that wasn't carrying its weight.
(That part, though, was lost on the fans, who either said "Huh, guess they didn't like it?" or railed at Funi's "evil" audio drops.)

The "We're wacky and we rap!" promos didn't exactly help explain the show to newcomers either, or why it was different from a dozen other Funi and ADV shoujo shows. (And this was back when Funi basically did their promos what happened in that volume, and not what the entire show was about)--
So it was up to the fans to spread the word of mouth, and when it first came out, it'd been in limbo so long, only the 90's old-skoolers still knew enough about the show to do so.
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Funi gave it a good try, and the dub's well worth checking out [and avoids the "edit out the Tokio!" pitfalls of the subbed version]. I'd say keep it, and if you like it, order the super cheap S.A.V.E boxset of the 2nd half Funi released.

Sana's mom should be everyone's role model.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:23 pm Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
28076004505531 wrote:
i've just finished the first 5 episodes....it's hilariooous.....i like it so far....i might buy the second box set and finish the whole thing eventhough it's not really complete....did the last episode (dubbed by Funi) felt like "it's not finished yet" or did it feel like "it ended well" (for someone who didn't know that there's 52-100+ episodes more)?

The very, very last episode of the funi release is a recap episode with a lot of the cast debating the excact nature of Sana and Akito's relationship, and mentioning the cast will be in middle school next time. That episode alone is your only real tip-off that there's more of the show, since the one right before that wraps up a pretty major plot arc and feels conclusive. It's an excellent place to stop- you won't feel cheated.

thanks for the tip!
gsilver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Kodocha has been a favorite of mine, ever since I first saw it 10 years ago.

I really love the show, so it's always annoyed me whenever people rag on Funimation for things like the audio drops, which are unfortunate, but not their fault: SMAP is notoriously stingy about their music, to the point where even in Japan, they've had to redo the music to some shows for DVD (see the intro to Akazukin Chacha)

Unfortunately, good fansubs of the second half of the series are hard to find.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1