• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ghost Stories

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiyomaro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Why is this series so contreversial?
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:

On the other hand, I'm slightly worried that they might end up doing this too often to shows that deserve better, or that the "rewrite it" concept may end up being used to lesser degree on a wider line of products.

That's a legit concern-I have a couple friends who got so hooked on the whole MST3K thing that they started doing the whole MST schtick during good movies. Not amusing... I hope a company like ADV would exercise a little more judgement than that, though, just to keep the fans from rioting. Anime fans take everything way too seriously anyway, so the response to genuinely made decisions could be pretty extreme.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
emory

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Kiyomaro wrote:
Why is this series so contreversial?

The series isn't, but this dub is.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:54 pm Reply with quote
lantis wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:
For some reason, this sounds to me like the first corporate fan parody. That gets a w00t from me.

I would have to say that Shinesman should probably get that title. Although the Japanese is also sort of a comedy, Scott Houle's take on it for Media Blasters is always a big hit at any show and probably doesn't include most of the original script either.

I see your point, but Shinesman was satirical in both languages.

Zac wrote:
Use a little logic.

On this board, it seems easier said than done, I'm afraid.

And if this really was the biggest bombshell of the con, then it must've about as meh as Ghost Stories. (relatively speaking)
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:03 pm Reply with quote
antonmonter wrote:
Well Aaron White, After all your pseudo capitalist babble I hope that at least you share some of the profits they get from "recycling" that anime.

Some of the posts in the forum proved that the real anime fans in this forum are against that bad bussiness practices. I hope ADV turns to be licencing anime equivalent to ENRON (bad bussines choices cost a lot in long terms) . They stink to heaven. Better is to pay attention to releases from better companies.

Yes, ADV is in this for their health. In AntonmonterLand, screenwriters live on the gumdrops that fall magically from the heavens. Translators and producers frolic in the canards that they get from psuedoutopian babble on internet message boards. There is no need to try and make a return on their license investment....

ADV has a title that'd be a really hard sell on DVD in the USA. So, they retain the original Japanese track and accurate subtitles. They also include a parody dub track that the purists won't care about and that for others will be the only thing they will check out on the disc. It sounds win/win for me.

And, honestly, does anyone really see this becoming a norm? Seriously, do you really expect them to do a track like this for something like FMA or Gantz? If you do, have you taken your meds lately?

Yeah, ADV is crazy....like a fox!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:
Zac, I take it you're no longer contractually exclusive? Does this mean you'll be writing more for the website?

Anyway, I'd rather watch Sealab 2021 than original Sealab, so I can't work up any outrage about this. Appropriating mediocre anime as raw material for an improved product sounds like the kind of subversive stategy the anime industry needs to productively deal with the glut of cruddy anime.

Check the staff page. I resigned from Anime Insider and returned to ANN.
Andromeda

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:30 pm Reply with quote
[quote="The Ramblin' Wreck"]
antonmonter wrote:
Well Aaron White, After all your pseudo capitalist babble I hope that at least you share some of the profits they get from "recycling" that anime.

Um "pseudo-capitilist"? Somebody likes throwing out random, big words for no reason other to attempt to impress people, methinks. It WAS capitilist, dear sir. Whether it represents an accurate economical theory is perhaps up to debate, but whether it's "captilist"? In other words, pro-capitilism, which often involves remaking something just to make a profit? That's... God. Just... do yourself AND ourselves a favor, and get yourself a dictionary.

Quote:

Some of the posts in the forum proved that the real anime fans in this forum are against that bad bussiness practices.

Some, I notice. Not all. Rolling Eyes Not everyone who disagrees with you on a matter of OPINION, ahem, is "not a real anime fan" (which implies that they don't care about anime in general jsut because this C-list show got a parody dub. Yeah, right. You just keep thinking that).

As opposed to us "unreal" anime fans, I suppose, who could care less so long as the dub is funny and/or an accurate subtitile track included.

It sounds like you're a subtitle purist type, which makes me wonder why the @$^# you care about the dub, since the subtitles are a direct translation to begin with.

It's not a "bad business practice" if it makes money, by the way. It may be an offensive one to a certain segment of the fandom, but it's not "bad" business practice unless it fails to make money, since that's the entire point of business.

Quote:

I hope ADV turns to be licencing anime equivalent to ENRON (bad bussines choices cost a lot in long terms) .

Um, yeah. I'm so sure that including the original Japanese track, and a faithful subtitle track, and a parody dub, on a C-list title that they're now trying to make some sort of profit off of in the US, is the equivalent of "cooking the books". So very sure. Despite the fact that one is illegal and the other very definitely is not, not least because of a little thing called "freedom of speech". Just because you don't like what they did with it, doesn't mean they're amoral. Foolish? Time will tell, and we'll only be able to see how stupid or not stupid it was after we see a few sales figures. But the "anime equivalent to ENRON"?

I'll beleive that after you point out to me exactly what they've done that's illegal, thanks. Wink

Quote:

They stink to heaven. Better is to pay attention to releases from better companies.

ADV is actually my favorite liscensor so far (followed closely by Bandai and Manga Video). Their DVD extras lately rock. The Excel Saga DVDs are part of my collection entirely because the DVDs are so frigging awesome. When I shell out $20 or more for a single DVD, I want nice menus, an entertaining dub, an accurate set of subtitles, and some nice extras. ADV tends to deliver on all of the above (so do Bandai and Manga, from what I've seen from my WHR and Perfect Blue DVDs).

You know what? I'm now going to buy this title. I wasn't particularly planning on it before I read this thread, but the vitriol from both sides has me wanting to check it out just to see if anybody at all is even right (which might very well be a sign that it'll be at least marginally successful precisely because of the controversy the dub has stirred up).

I'm going to watch both versions, too. The subbed version for the fluffy, cute little original and the dub for what sounds like a really fun, lively parody. It sounds, quite frankly, like I will enjoy both versions. And you know what? I'm no less of an anime fan because of that.

It's just like how I can enjoy watching Evangelion subbed or whatnot, and still enjoy the "Asuka The Black Knight" parody I found online where someone took video from Eva and audio from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, or how I can enjoy watching either version of Chrono Crusade (despite the rewrites, which make perfect sense to me, since the series DID take place in America in the 1920s, for goodness sakes; it's a period piece, and I hardly mind ADV making efforts to have lingo that suits the period, especially since it makes it a lot less stiff in translation).

I love anime. However, I also think that if ADV wants to do a comedic dub, well, fine. If it's funny and I can still see it subbed, I'm A-OK with it.

I mean... you do realize that much of anime is just Japanese cartoons, right? I know, I know, there's stuff like Eva and Utena, but much of it is humorous and cartoonish, at least at points. This doesn't make it any less good, of course, but it also means that one shouldn't be treating it like "the Mona Lisa".

Evangelion, Utena, RahXephon... those are "Mona Lisas". This show sounds a bit more like, you know... a kids' TV show.

Again, since it's a parody-style dub, it's tolerable - indeed, perhaps enjoyable. Let's not treat this, folks, as another "Carcaptors" until we've seen the darn dub.

Quote:

Yes, ADV is in this for their health. In AntonmonterLand, screenwriters live on the gumdrops that fall magically from the heavens. Translators and producers frolic in the canards that they get from psuedoutopian babble on internet message boards. There is no need to try and make a return on their license investment....

That says it better than I could, in a way. Smile

-Andromeda
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'm in the lot that, since I'll be watching the sub anyway, it doesn't really matter all that much. Yes, I do like some dubs. THe only thing that bugs me is that there are people who won't watch a sub no matter how bad(reletively speaking) a dub is. My sister was one of them. So there will be a number of people who will never watch the original. Ghost Stories may not be gold, but no title deserves an outright rewrite when it's released. Though again, the sub track makes the whole thing rather moot.

Though Zac's right in that this whole thing has pushed some knowledge of the show. I watched the preview clip. It was ok, but not really all that amusing. Though I'll admit I'm not much of a Hilary Haag fan.

I just wish that they wouldn't plug it as "Improving the whole script". An opinion like that shouldn't be stated as fact. Hopefully, it's not ADV's actual stance on it. It's an alternate take, no better or worse.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
antonmonter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I must admit that your reply made me laught Ramblin' Wreck (even when the joke was on me). Rammstein song that "We all living in Amerika", but now I know that I live in AntonMonterLandia.

Besides that, we must admit that is known among fans that ADV is one of the worst of American Licensors and they "translations" (even the ones in the subs) are so bad that even people with basic knowledge of japanese language can notice their inacurracies (or intentional changes). Its a shame that a companny like that had the licence of titles like Elfen Lied or Evangelion.

My best wishes are that they loose some of it's precious money, the more, the better.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Antonmonster, how can we take your comments on translation quality seriously when you write worse english than Sandra Q. Liquor? Anyway you didn't bother to address a single one of my points. Appropriating and undermining inferior product is hardly a capitalist-specific technique, as the predominantly Marxist Dadaists demonstrated, not to mention William Burroughs with his use of cut-up and fold-in techniques... Do you get this fussy over MST3K or Sealab? Making decent comedy out of run-of-the-mill anime product is no crime against Art.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
ladholyman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Ok. I watched the 30 second preview about the ghost in the toilet.

And I have to say... it was pretty damn decent. They got the story right, they added swearing, and they didn't change the names. Who would've thought? ADV did something right!

I was laughing my head off. This may not be so bad after all.
antonmonter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:12 pm Reply with quote
You really got "off topic" this time, but since you are messing with literature, can you explain what the hell are you reffering to when you mention the "William Burroughs with his use of cut-up and fold-in techniques.." I remember reading "Naked Lunch" and I can't identify to what techniques are you reffering to.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:19 pm Reply with quote
You won't answer my on-topic questions about why we should consider you a credible critic of translations when your own english is so poor, or if you complain about other subversions of poor quality entertainment, so I don't see why I should answer your questions about Burrough's use of these techniques (which he didn't use in Naked Lunch as they had not yet been developed.)
Trowa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:43 pm Reply with quote
antonmonter wrote:

I hope this doesn’t star a new trend among American licensors.
I mean, the “logic” (to call it someway) in the article was “if something doesn’t fit in the mass public taste, alter it until you make it profitable”.

The most annoying part is that newbies still believe that foreign dubs are better than the original Japanese voice track.

I strongly agree with the first point you made. Although I’m not a newbie, I prefer a good dub if it's available. It may be fine to change the script for something like this, but it would be horrible if companies started doing it to A-class anime. After all one of the things that makes a dub good is its consistency to the original version.

Last edited by Trowa on Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Shunukiya

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:25 pm Reply with quote
This is pretty cool. I saw the first 2 episodes of this series at an Anime Club almost 3 years ago. In truth, this show was actually what got me interested in Anime. I've seen many Anime shows since that day, and it seems like quite a few of them are a bit better. However, I've known for ages that most series get better as time goes on. So, at the VERY least I need to buy this series since this is what got me into Anime.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7