• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Japanese and Korean Musical Theater

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RegSuzaku

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 3:49 am Reply with quote
There isn't enough coverage of these in English, but there are so many DVDs made that it's pretty accessible if only someone would make subtitles.

Which will only come with demand...

Is anyone else into these?

My favorite right now is Cross Road ~ The Devil's Violinist Paganini~ (by the author of the anime Mars Red). The actor who played Amduscias (the devil), Akinori Nakagawa, is amazing.

He also played Cesare in the musical adaptation of the historical manga. There's a bluray of that. This site had an article that it was coming back, but nothing after that. The musical is really, really amazing. I highly recommend it.

And he also played Victor Frankenstein in the Japanese production of probably the most famous Korean musical, Frankenstein. That also has a DVD. Kazuki Kato, who's the voice of Fersen in the new Rose of Versailles anime (and Malleus in Twisted Wonderland) played Victor's friend Henri opposite Akki.

Lots of things other things, too, some based on anime and manga (Jojo, In This Corner of the World in Japan, and the new Rose of Versailles musical in Korea, by the same composer as Frankenstein), and things not based on anime and manga, like Isabeau, which is about a Medieval French queen (by the writer of some recent anime, and this also has a bluray coming).

Does anyone else like these? What are your favorites?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1