• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The process; idea to American DVD?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dagwood

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 1:43 am Reply with quote
Due to an increase in the lack of (but not over all) intellectual or repeated questions, along with the usual 'what if' or 'what are your' type threads; I have a question that I haven't seen fully asked or answered during my time here at ANN. My brain and its constant need for and to seek out information and knowledge has begged me to ask the question; what is the process of anime? I've been curious for some time now.

Let me elaborate:
When a creator(s) has an idea for a new show, how and what is the process he/she (they) goes through to sell the idea to a company (making deals, budgets, pay, etc.). Once a company decides to license the creator’s work and produce it, what goes on there (pre-production to creation of the final product) and how long does it traditionally take? What resources (funds, people, etc.) are needed for a production?

After the production process is complete and the show/movie starts airing on TV or playing in theatres in Japan, do the creators get a set sum, or more likely a percentage of the total profits? How much do the people below them make (actors, animators, etc.)? Are their salaries set?

Finally, when it comes to America, are the anime advertised to American companies and/or do American companies seek out certain anime. When a company pays for the rights to a show, are those the only profits the creators, those involved, and the original (Japanese) company sees, or do they receive a percentage of overall profits? After final DVD release, how much do those involved over here make (company, actors, dub directors, translators, etc.)

Most of this is pretty general, so to clarify, apply the above said to upscale productions like GitS:SAC for instance. Basically I just want to know more about my favorite TV/movie industry and any light that can be shed on the subject would be great. Feel free to give me the fine details, the dirt. Anything you know. Very Happy! -Please and Thank-you!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1