• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Okay, it's just killing me now...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
megadues

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Okay, now I've only read a few chapters of the manga of Prince of Tennis, but my friend really likes the series. He uses that Mada Mada Dane catchphrase a lot, and I have no Idea what it means and he wont tell me. I googled it, and I've got two different answers, one says it means No, not yet, and the other means something like, you've got lots to work on. What does it mean, it's killing me inside by a little each day.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 12:54 am Reply with quote
megadues wrote:
Okay, now I've only read a few chapters of the manga of Prince of Tennis, but my friend really likes the series. He uses that Mada Mada Dane catchphrase a lot, and I have no Idea what it means and he wont tell me. I googled it, and I've got two different answers, one says it means No, not yet, and the other means something like, you've got lots to work on. What does it mean, it's killing me inside by a little each day.

Murder your friend for speaking stupid pidgeon Japanese and being a snob about it.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:15 am Reply with quote
"No, not yet" is the more straightforward translation, but as this is an idiomatic expression the second rendering is probably also acceptable. While murder may be a bit too much, seriously considering finding less snobbish friends may be a good idea. Very Happy
megadues

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:16 am Reply with quote
Thanks a bunch. And, well, friend is putting it loosely when I talk about him,he's just a guy I work with who likes anime, and while murder does sound mildly appetizing, I do realize he's just an ass.
Aokage

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:55 am Reply with quote
I use Japanese phrases from time to time when around friends...but they know what i'm saying. But as already pointed out, "mada mada" means no not yet. It is usually reserved for use in a battle or struggle. One would say it when perhaps their competitor is thinking a match to be over, where as you still have an ace up your sleeve. So unless your friend is engaged in a struggle (a fight, or sports or even a video game) then he probably shouldn't be saying this. What may be better suited for everyday speaking, is "chotto matte kudasai". This phrase means please wait. Or you can just say chotto for short. But that would be rather rude unless you knew who you were speaking to, very well. Anyways that is enough Japanese 101 for today...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:58 am Reply with quote
Just tell him he's a norokusai ketsu, and make it sound like a compliment. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1