• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Monster : The Ending

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Watashi wa Ryuzaki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I've just finished reading this series, and I am completly blown away. It was great, spectacular and soared above and beyond my expectations. I honestly couldn't look away(only doing so to eat and sleep Very Happy ). I finished it in about 5 days, and I'm here to discuss the ending. For the last few chapters, it was leaning out of my seat action, but the last two chapters sort of confused me. I'm here to ask, why did they end it as they did ?

spoiler[Tenma preforms on Johan, contradicting his whole mission, right ? I get that his duties as a doctor come first, and that he has the compassion that disables him from taking a life; but it still ticks at me. Also, the final panels, where Tenma confronts Johan was also sort of iffy IMO. Johan randomly wakes up and is still questioning whether or not he was wanted, whether or not his mother loves him. I really dont understand why was the final chapter called " The Real Monster" ?

Also, why didn't they show Tenma meet with Nina and the rest of his former comrads ? And what does that whole scene with Johan being missing frm his bed conclude ? That he is faking his illness and has returned to his old ways, or that he is out and about; searching for his real name ? The problem I have with this ending, is that I don't feel much closure from the series. I feel my self wanting more.....much more.]

Pardon me for being so intrusive, it's just that I am desperatly looking for answers, to cure my much dreaded confusion.
HMMcKamikaze

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:47 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Pardon my fuzzy memory, but from what I remember, I think that the idea was that Johan was in fact torn between his sane self and the insecure part that grew as he faced countless challenges early on in life. This half eventually took control, and all that was left was his sort of nihilistic need to right things in the world when there was nothing but chaos, or random and misguided justice at best.

I think that Tenma operated in the end because he realized that even Johan could never truly relinquish his humanity, as hard as he may have tried. Ultimately, he was more or less the same as everyone else, it's just that his reactions weren't.

Now as to why Tenma's reunion with everyone else was overlooked, I can't say. ]
Watashi wa Ryuzaki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:32 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Well, what did the final scene with Johan missing from his bed conclude ? That I still don't understand Sad ]
Momoko_Yumi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm also confused about the end...and so I made my own thinking about it (but of first...excuse for my english, I'm German)

Tenma speaks to Johann, and Johann seems to be in a coma. But suddenly Johann ist awaken and speeks to Tenma. But after this, her seems to be in a coma again.

so I first think that spoiler[This could be a hallizunation by Tenma. He think that Johann speeks to him, but it is only in his mind. When he goes away the bed is empty, because Johann died and was carreid away.]

but then I think that spoiler[Johann is still alive and made Tenma think he is in a coma. And when Tenma went away, Johann leaves his bed to carry on.]

I think this open end was made by the mangaka to think what could be happen now. We should make our own ideas about how the story could go on. And about Johann..what is he in reality? Is he a monster...or a victim?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I think also that spoiler[Johan awaking and speaking to Tenma in a way was a hallucination, but then again maybe not.] That is the twisted part of the story. One possibility, and I think this is a good one, that maybe spoiler[Johan ceased to exist after the incident, from people's minds and reality. That's what he was wanting to do all along, which is die in the minds of everybody.] This series was a really good one, it always had me wanting to read the next volume to find out what was going to happen between Tenma and Johan.
Watashi wa Ryuzaki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:52 am Reply with quote
I don't think thatspoiler[ he ceased to exist from everyone's mind, I just think that he's still trying to find out his name, and who it was his mother loved.....]
cqs7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I just finished reading this, and I was amazed by it..

spoiler[my personal belief on the ending is that the real monster was actually Johan's mother who showed Johan that one of the children was unwanted. Johan dressed like Nina so he wouldn't have to feel the pain of being the unwanted one. In the end Nina forgave johan since he wasn't the one taken to the Red Rose mansion even though it was supposed to be him?]

Another thought
spoiler[ Was it Johan who knew he was unwanted so he dressed up like Anna to avoid being taken to the mansion, and he later took it out on himself by becoming the monster? Was it Johan who knew Anna was the unwanted one, so he acted like her in order for a chance that he could be taken instead?]
j23

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I dont know if this applies to the discussion but it was my understanding when the mother chose to give up one of her children over the other that it infused Johan with his belief that all life isnt equal. Thats why he tries to make everyone "equal in death."

I think Johan was simply snapped out of his coma when Tenma told him his real name and simply left. Whether its to do more evil or finally be sane since he knows his true name is up to interpretation. Its meant to make you squirm.
VigilanteMan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:30 pm Reply with quote
What an amazing story.

spoiler[I read a review someone had on this after I finally finished the series. They said that just about the only thing they thought could be better was that it all could of been shortened. At first I agreed but then I thought about it and changed my mind. I have been watching this anime on and off for about 2 years. I think when I started I was really into it and got to around episode 30 or something. Then a year later watched it up to like episode 50 and now I have finished the rest of it in the last couple of weeks.

I kept expecting there to be some sort of supernatural monster come out or some aspect of it like that but it really stayed true to the entire story. It had that real life element to it that makes it indeed legendary.

I really liked what cqs7 said as well they worded it very well what I was already sort of thinking.

When it ended I frantically searched for any possibility that there was some sort of sequel. Like does the madness continue? Does he go on to kill even more people? Does that mean that Tenma discovers some darker realization about death and life and that is why he saved Johan again? But after doing some reading on peoples thought about it and just thought about it for a bit. I have come to a satisfying conclusion.

When Anna/Nina was about to shoot Johan in that abandoned building in the middle of nowhere, she thought that she knew something that Johan didn't. She thought that he made himself and herself believe that he was the one that went to that experiment and witnessed everyone die at the red rose mansion. She thought that he did it for her because it was really her memory and it really happened to her. She thought that Johan selflessly became the Monster that Anna/Nina should of been. But Johan already knew all of this already.

And then the end makes sense. The unwanted child was Anna/Nina. You see Johan knew that she was the unwanted child, that is why he dressed up as her. When she had to choose one he tried to act like his sister but the mother knew who was who, she was the mother after all. That is why at the end when they show it you can tell who has a male voice and who has a female voice. She still knew who the girl was and chose her because she was the unwanted child. That is the core of it all and that is what made Johan become a monster. And that is why the real monster is really the mother of the twins.

Maybe the reason why Anna/Nina wanted to forgive Johan was because she finally remembered that memory of their mother giving her away, and Johan never told her and he knew all along. Ever since it happened Johan knew. And that is why Johan became so monstrous because he never held back those memories like Anna/Nina did. Johan dressed up like Anna/Nina to try and save her.

Everything Johan ever did was to try and save his sister from the memories. That is why at the end Johan was erasing the memories.

One of the best animes I ever saw. 10/10]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1