• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime characters you like that everyone else seems to hate?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Let's admit something: we all have at least one character that you just can't see the hate for. For example, there are people who thought Scrappy Doo or Snarf from "Thundercats" were funny characters. What are your examples?

Orihime from "Bleach"- Let me get on thing clear, filler doesn't count. Orihime got kidnapped only once, and even then, that shouldn't even count. She willingly went with the Arrancar to protect her friends. As for her being "useless," how is healing people not usefull? Is Ratchet just dead weight for the Autobots because he doesn't kill Decepticons? Is McCoy useless because he's a doctor, not a marine? Are the medics in the Middle East useless because they don't kill Iraqis? Finally, "Kurosaki-kun!" Don't like her respectfully refering to Ichigo? Watch the dub.

Rei from "Highschool of the Dead"- Let's face facts, she's the most realistic of the bunch. If your boyfriend was killed in front of you, wouldn't you whine a lot? Not to mention her comparing Takashi to her boyfriend gets called out on halfway through the anime and she stops doing it (then again, I haven't read the manga). She's the only one who's not completely dense about Koichi "Most-Definately-Not-A-Villain" Shido, which really makes me question the IQs of the main cast. When her competition is a bland protagonist, a functionally retarded nurse, a cliche samurai girl with 0-personality, an annoying know-it-all, and a moronic fatass who can't take the hint that his crush is a bitch to him, which would you pick?

Shinji from "Evangelion"- Answer me this: if your father was a bastard who got your mother killed, abandoned you for ten years, dragged you into becoming a mech pilot, and along the way, your friends either die or get totally mind-effed, would you be Mr. *beep* Rodgers after that?

Kagome from "InuYasha"- How is she useless? She has the ability to sense the MacGuffin. Without her, the main cast would go nowhere. Also, for "Sitting" InuYasha. People treat her like she's the badguy in the situation. 9 times out of 10, that annoying, whiny, androgynous furry deserves it.

Momo from "Bleach"- Contrary to what people believe, she does eventually start seeing how much of a *beep* Aizen is.

Mikuru from "Haruhi Suzumiya"- Maybe I just hate Haruhi so much that I can't help but side with her when Haruhi does things to her most people would get arrested for.

Kanako from "Love Hina"- Come the *beep* on! She punches Naru! How can anyone hate her after that? What, did Naru's fans (both of them) hate her for that?
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I loved Yuka Minase from 11 Eyes, even though a lot of people hated her. I just loved her psychotic behavior because she wanted Kakeru's love but got jealous of Misuzu.

I can't really think of anyone else that was hated that I actually liked.
Killaclown666

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:34 pm Reply with quote
The middle school kid (blanking on name) from Gantz yeah he's messed up but he's been in a messed up world at a young age just surviving and ended up enjoying it instead of being a whiney b**ch but i guess i usually like the sadistic bastards i do have hate towards most of the girls who seem like they're there just because they need a love interest or they kinda tame the "bad boy"..........also YAY kagomes a special compass lol srry i had to say it, i think her freaking priestess arrows are better than her compass powers (not as needed but still cant respect a compass to much)
naninanino

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Lynn Minmay (SDF Macross). So what if she is selfish and moody? That just makes her a more interesting persona in my eyes. I swear that sometimes anime fans just view characters as potential waifus and want them to be perfect. Plus it fits the story anyway. It's not like she was in an easy position either and no one but Ichijou and Kaifun would be there to support her. Plus there wouldn't be much of a love triangle without her and it had a very sweet ending to top that. Let her songs echo throughout the galaxy.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:10 am Reply with quote
Miaka Yuuki from Fushigi Yuugi; she's one of the most grown-up, capable, emotionally stable, multi-dimensional characters in anime. Merely I jest.

Okay, in all seriousness, Shinji Ikari; not only is he largely despised among otakudom for his apparent psychological weakness and cowardice, but he's hated in the series by other characters, as well. However, despite his yearning for the approval of others (which every EVA pilot experienced, to one degree or another), I felt as though he was very mature, rational, somewhat stoic, and became quite valiant. Plus, he had greater piloting capabilities than all the others.

Naruto; people -- in the series and viewers, alike -- see him as goofy, incompetent, childish, and an overall poor ninja. But, while Naruto may have been those things (and in terms of the last one, only in a textbook sense), he's also brave, loyal, upstanding, extremely powerful, and quite skilled, when he truly puts his heart and mind into mastering something. Other than Kakashi, Naruto is my favorite character in the series.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:52 am Reply with quote
Ranka Lee, Macross Frontier. I always thought she was just as good as Sheryl, if not more likeable. Let me put it this way; she definitely doesn't deserve all the hate she gets. And she didn't deserve her fate in the second movie. Grrr...

Then of course there's Lelouch and Light. The former is ridiculed (his name is not Lelouche, okay?), while the latter is outright hated. But both are awesome and I respect them immensely (well, as much as one can respect a fictional character).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:05 am Reply with quote
Oh yes, for some reason I really liked the character Peavey Barowoi in C³: Cube×Cursed×Curious, she fits so easily to crazy villain, who even hurt her own team mates. But I found her rather sad, her motives even understandable.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:53 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Ranka Lee, Macross Frontier. I always thought she was just as good as Sheryl, if not more likeable. Let me put it this way; she definitely doesn't deserve all the hate she gets. And she didn't deserve her fate in the second movie. Grrr...

Really? People hate on Ranka? I just started watching Macross and I am up to episode 6. I would of thought that the hate would go towards Sheryl and not Ranka. Ranka seems like such a lovable character to me, and while Sheryl has her moments she is basically a spoiled tsundere. I am definitely rooting for Ranka x Alto scenario as I watch the anime.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:08 am Reply with quote
People hated on Ranka since episode one. I have no clue why. But I'm definitely a Ranka x Alto fan, and the second movie can go f*ck itself.

God I'm sounding like a fangirl . . . . . .
jl07045

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:40 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
People hated on Ranka since episode one. I have no clue why.

Childish and too "moe" I assume.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:03 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
People hated on Ranka since episode one. I have no clue why.

It's the way her hair bobs and that ridiculous phone. Wink

I was always more of an Alto/Sheryl fan, mostly because Ranka was a little too childish for my tastes and seeing the guy go for the more mature girl would have been a pleasant change of pace. Never had a problem with Ranka, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:48 am Reply with quote
Shiraume from Ben-To. Sure, her abuse of You got a little stale, but she developed into a nicely tragic character.
anime racket

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:42 am Reply with quote
As soon as I read the name of this thread Shinji Ikari popped into
my mind; I've always thought he was cool even if no one else
seemed too. The only time I've ever hated him was in EoE and
I dislike that movie in general.

But really, people have problems liking Light Yagami and Lelouch?
I did not expect that.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:46 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Let's admit something: we all have at least one character that you just can't see the hate for. For example, there are people who thought Scrappy Doo or Snarf from "Thundercats" were funny characters. What are your examples?

Mikuru from "Haruhi Suzumiya"- Maybe I just hate Haruhi so much that I can't help but side with her when Haruhi does things to her most people would get arrested for.

Haruhi Suzumiya. She's the type of character who wouldn't take "no" for an answer, she'd take it for an inviation. Even the first few episodes shows how unfocused she was in pretty much every regard, from social activites to friends and to sexual identity. Surrounding her are the focused power trio who on a mission just to get close to her and the even more unfocused Kyon; So unfocused we don't even know his name. Through the series, we see Haruhi change, as she grows in spirit and finds something to focus all her energy on.

I think hating Haruhi is like hating a force of nature; It makes sense to fear lightning or be in awe of it but hating it means you think it should know the difference between right and wrong or that it should behave like everything and everyone else. Behave, be docile, be normal and boring. I see the same kind of misunderstanding in Desert Punk; Viewers impose their worldview on a completely alien-minded human in a singularly structered world.

spoiler[Yes, the world really does revolve around her. Deal with it.]

Your complaint is a less interesting point though; That it's not what Haruhi does, it's that she gets away with it. That's explained in story in so many different ways.

Also, almost everyone in Desert Punk but in particular the main character Kanta. It's not that he's morally bankrupt, it's that the world he lives in completely sucks. In the anime, it's a more than a bit sad if you consider the fact that

spoiler[Kanta and Kosuna are actually in love but the concept is so alien to them that they don't even recognize why they want to be together even after they realize that there's no advantage in it . That's a step darker than even the show's forerunner, A Boy and His Dog. At least that work combined practicality with affection. Desert Punk is so wonderfully cynical that even Greed and Lust takes a back seat to survival. In comparision, Love and Compassion didn't have a prayer. Well, maybe Stryker but he's crazy.]

Rossiu from Gurren Lagaan. The funniest part is that he's hated because he didn't learn that he was in a wishfulfillment shonen mecha series, even if he picked up on the "everyone autmatically knows how to pilot a mecha" bit. Ohh no, he tried to make the hard decisions, to work for the many in spite of the few while everyone else was about as bright, capable and interested in governing as hamsters would be.

Louise from Familiar of Zero. I actually feel sorry for her; She's a failure of a mage and a noble and she not gets a human as a familiar but a commoner at that. There's a lot of shame and inner turmoil in her emotions and Saito doesn't help.

I can't list anyone from Code Geass because I hate them all with the exception of Jeremiah Gottwald and Anya. What a show...
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:45 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I think hating Haruhi is like hating a force of nature; It makes sense to fear lightning or be in awe of it but hating it means you think it should know the difference between right and wrong or that it should behave like everything and everyone else. Behave, be docile, be normal and boring.

Haruhi was one of the first characters that I thought of when I saw this thread. I will admit that I really did hate her at first. I hated her so much that it took me three tries to get past the first three episodes of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I only kept trying because of strong recommendations from people who I trust.
I am glad now that I did keep at it because the character and the show are now among my favorites.

I think that the main reason that I now like Haruhi, and actually feel sorry for her, is that she does not know what is happening around her, or at least why things are happening the way that they are. I also like the way that she starts to change in response to what is happening around her.
If she was aware of spoiler[her power] and was deliberately abusing it I would hate her even more.
Well, i do not really want to get into this much more here.

Another character that I seem to like a lot more than most people is Meg in Burst Angel.
I do not think that she is nearly as much of a helpless damsel in distress as many make her out to be. Meg can actually be rather awesome at times, especially at the end of the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5