• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Next Forum Tournament XII: Proposals

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Oh good, less work for me then Laughing

The main ones I want to nominate are Raildex, FMA:B, and the UC.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:10 pm Reply with quote
For those already doing some planning, the examples I will be using for the formatting will be the settings for Crest/Banner of the Stars and Black Lagoon. I have several others in mind that I'll do if no one beats me to it.

And one specific request: I really want someone who's more knowledgeable about the scope of it than me to do The World from the .hack// titles. I suspect that could be a particularly complicated one to do.

Template will not be up until at least late tomorrow night, as I am, unfortunately, very busy tonight (and really for the rest of this week).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Olliff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:35 am Reply with quote
I am rough draft complete for a guide entry for the Legend of the Galactic Heroes. I would appreciate if someone knowledgeable about the series and great at editing to collaborate with me. I am currently sitting at just over 500 words, which I assume is probably to long. My approach has been focused on describing the major powers, people of influence, important events, and how they all interact within their setting. I did not spend time developing the technology, physical environments, or how the world operates different from reality since they do strive for realism, alternate history and not high fantasy. PM me if you are interested with working with me, but remember, we won't be able to solidify it until we get Key's template.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I think the initial nominations are supposed to just give a brief idea. You can get more indepth when the actual rounds start.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:30 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
I don't see a problem there.

So you're confident that your spreadsheet can take a bracket of 1,024 characters, eh? Awesome. I'll pencil you in for the Miniga...eh? What's this?
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Adding another round doesn't change a whole lot from my perspective.

.........Yeah, I think you're underestimating things just a little bit.

Have I shown you my spreadsheet recently? I know what I'm doing. Adding the extra rounds might take a few more hours at the very start, but once I've got them all copied in, any given week only takes maybe half an hour.

I'm basing my assertion on the several years I have been doing this. What are you basing your skepticism on?
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:01 pm Reply with quote
^
You often mention how long your spreadsheet takes to do, and your comment that you could handle one extra round gave the impression that you might not be able to handle three extra rounds.

If you can do 1,024 characters then great.
bllanosr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:02 am Reply with quote
I don't really participate in these tournaments, but I would love to see and read a tournament on Most Influential Mangaka/Creator.

I have a tendency to follow up on a mangaka after reading and liking one of his/her works. Would love to see which mangakas/creators you guys are willing to defend. Very Happy
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:13 am Reply with quote
^
The winner would automatically be Osamu Tezuka, A.K.A. the father of Manga and the godfather of Anime. Every Manga and Anime since him has either used his designs and methods, or deliberately eschewed them. You can't find a more influential person in the entire industry.

Well that was an extremely short tournament.
bllanosr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:55 pm Reply with quote
dtm42: LOL, you got me there. I guess that's true that Osamu Tezuka would be the most influential. What I really want to know is which mangaka/creator people would recommend without becoming a recommendation thread.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Something like best creator/director/etc might work. It would certainly give us something different to talk about. Director would probably be the easiest to execute, IMO.

But yeah, most influential is pretty much a given. And Miyazaki would no doubt be the runner up. And there's a good change Miyazaki do well in a best director tournament as well, though I can't say I would be voting for him in that (most influential, certainly, since it's hard to argue against that, but from a personal standpoint, Miyazaki doesn't do a whole lot for me). Did Tezuka direct as well? I am sadly not as familiar with him as I probably should be Embarassed
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Apologies about the delays on this; last week turned out to be an even more enormous time crunch than I originally expected. Following is the template that I will want used for the World-Building entries. Refer to the OP of this thread for details on probable qualification and evaluation standards.

Please follow this template as closely as possible, including formatting:

Quote:
world name*

Series/Franchise: series/franchise name**

Magic/Technological Base: Examples include (but are not limited to) Near Future, Cyberpunk, Post-Apocalyptic, Sci Fi, Virtual Reality, High Fantasy (i.e., magic and supernatural elements are omnipresent), Low Fantasy (i.e., magic and supernatural elements are present but rare; Spice and Wolf is a good example here), Modern Day, Historical; “Supernatural” and “Magical Girl” and “With Mecha” designations can be added as needed.
Important Locations: List major sites within the setting. Ignore if the setting is a single site, such as a ship or building, or if no major sites are named.
Important Groups/Races: Should be self-explanatory.
Description: Should be self-explanatory. Try to limit yourself to 400 words or less.
What Makes The World Great: Should be self-explanatory.

Picture Link: Optional, as in some cases one or two pictures can’t encompass an entire expansive setting.

NOTES:
*Normal prohibitions on resorting to non-animated material will be loosened for purpose of determining world name, if such information is included in source material that hasn’t been animated. If a setting name is not available, call it “World of xxxxxxx”
**If the setting is applicable to multiple titles within a franchise then use the “franchise” option. If the setting is applicable to only one arc within a series, please indicate which arc (e.g., Sword Art Online Fairy Dance arc).

Here is an example, which will be one of the first two proper nominations when I start the official nomination thread:

Quote:
Roanapur

Franchise: Black Lagoon
Magic/Technological Base: Near-Modern Day (implied to be 1990s)
Important Locations: Yellow Flag bar, Lagoon Company office, Rip-Off Church
Important Groups: Lagoon Company, Hotel Moscow, Chinese Hong Kong Triad, Columbian Cartel, Mafia, Rip-off Church
Description: Roanapur is a fictional city set somewhere in coastal Southeast Asia (implied to be in or around Thailand) which, due to its independence, lax laws, and corrupt law enforcement, has become a haven for all manner of criminal activity. Thus it attracts major criminal and intelligence organizations from across the globe, many of whom have covert or explicit presences in the city. It is a place where the police make an effort to maintain the peace even though they are crooked, where any manner of illicit activity or substance can be found, and where a church is but a smuggling front and life is cheap, though the major criminal groups carefully maintain a delicate truce to prevent the kind of all-out war that could tear the city apart. All manner of colorful villains call it home, though many of them refer to it as a “shithole” or something even less kind.
What Makes The World-Building Great: Of all of the modern-day settings out there which have no magical or supernatural elements, Roanapur is among the most dynamic. Its essence helps shape the story and provides an ideal environment where all manner of sick and crazy activities can take place. Throughout the two main series and follow-up OVAs, a seedy world is crafted which has a sense of believability while still allowing villains to be villains in sometimes-spectacular fashion.

Given that series from the Spring season will be eligible, I may wait until Sunday to officially start the nomination thread, which will allow a couple of series to finish and others to be close enough that a proper write-up could be done if they get nominated. We definitely won't start before Friday in any case, so that will give people time to get their initial nominations prepped.

Oh, and just to clarify, content from omake will be allowed for supporting world-building. (This is particularly relevant for series like Chrono Crusade, Shakugan no Shana, and Lodoss War which have world-elaborating omake.)

Feel free to ask if you have any questions about formatting or what should or shouldn't be included in an entry, though, and feel free to run something by me via PMs if you want a proofread before it gets officially posted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Question: Can we nominate more than one? Because there are two in my mind that really stick out very heavily.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:00 pm Reply with quote
You can nominate as many as you want and support as many as you want as well. I have a decent list though I'm not quite ready to nominate anything just yet.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:13 pm Reply with quote
So if someone submits a nomination using the template required, there is no need for someone else who had the same idea to submit a similar nomination?

Last edited by getchman on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, some of our most prolific nominators commonly achieve nominations in the dozens. It's just a matter of how much effort you're willing to put into doing write-ups. (And I'm convinced that, for some people, that's half the fun.)

EDIT: And to answer your question, getchman, it's perfectly fine for more than one person to submit a write-up for the same world. They'll still count as supporting votes, and I'll just choose the better-written one as the official write-up. (In fact, every time we do this there's always a handful of prominent cases where I dearly wish that someone would do a second and better write-up.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6