• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Arrietty U.S Dub's "Summertime" Music Video Previewed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:10 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
So they're basically trying to appeal to their Disney Channel market by using one of their teen pop starlets and forcing one of her songs into the film. I suppose that's why the names were Americanized as well, got to stamp out all that foreign culture.

Not that I disagree with what you say, and this is like using the popular AKB48 girls into anime yet many fans lapped it up at AX, but let's not forget that The Borrowers was Japanized by Ghibli, though not completely still significantly. Ghibli could had based everything in Europe properly, like they did with Porco Rosso.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:15 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
So they're basically trying to appeal to their Disney Channel market by using one of their teen pop starlets and forcing one of her songs into the film. I suppose that's why the names were Americanized as well, got to stamp out all that foreign culture.

Not that I disagree with what you say, and this is like using the popular AKB48 girls into anime yet many fans lapped it up at AX, but let's not forget that The Borrowers was Japanized by Ghibli, though not completely still significantly. Ghibli could had based everything in Europe, like they did with Porco Rosso.
No, no ,no, this is just Disney pimping their ride.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:37 am Reply with quote
This seems to be the most highly edited Ghibli film to date from Disney. From the character name changes to certain musical tracks changed (although the vocal music was changed for Kiki initially as well, same with Ponyo IIRC), I'd better make sure I read the reviews when it comes out so that I'm sure no actual cuts were sneaked into the U.S. release, even though supposedly the "no cuts" clause still stands.

Last edited by bravetailor on Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:38 am Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
This seems to be the most highly edited Ghibli film to date from Disney. From the character name changes to certain musical tracks changed (although the vocal music was changed for Kiki initially as well), I'd better make sure I read the reviews when it comes out so that I'm sure no actual cuts were sneaked into the U.S. release, even though supposedly the "no cuts" clause still stands.

The character name changes and minor musical alterations don't count as "edits" to me. Cutting 30 minutes out of the film does.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:40 am Reply with quote
TurnerJ wrote:

The character name changes and minor musical alterations don't count as "edits" to me. Cutting 30 minutes out of the film does.

It's a script and music edit. If you read a book that was written by a foreign author and the english translation changed the names to American sounding names, that's an edit. As far as name changes go, this hasn't happened before with Disney dubs.

A "cut" is slashing actual runtime.

These films can have "no cuts" yet still be edited.
GreenDragoon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Well, this is… goofy. Much like the version of the Ponyo vocal theme recorded for the English language release a couple of years ago. Cécile Corbel was already one of my favourite female vocalists before her involvement with this film was announced, so I was thrilled by the inclusion of her music. This… just doesn’t live up to the standard she set. Oh, well. Not that big of a deal in the long run, I suppose. I’m just glad the film is getting such a wide release!
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:22 pm Reply with quote
lol terrible
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2