• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top 50 Manga Creators by Sales Since 2010

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Banjo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:04 pm Reply with quote
hmm lets see.. the only thing I read from the list is naruto, and I am not enjoying it, it's just to kill some time Cool
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I am deeply saddened to see no trace of good ol' Katsura on this list. I guess Zetman really isn't that popular over there after all, I'd been wondering why we haven't gotten any animated material at all for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Insert joke about how One Piece is just flat dominating, not that it isn't an amazing series but there are other good series on this list that just don't have the cultural dominance that One Piece has accumulated. It's like posting a list of best selling Childrens/Young Adult fiction, and Harry Potter is miles above the rest.

Various Random Thoughts:
Saint Young Men is really doing that well? (Regardless it's still never coming over here!)
Could Hiro Mashima's numbers be boosted by people still buying Rave Master, not completely mind but could that be helping somewhat?
Amused by the fact it's Unknown, Unknown for the Soul Eater author, Atsushi Ohkubo.
Of course CLAMP is up here, but is it that xxxHolic is just currently their best-selling series or it it an overall thing? I wonder by how much.
Why is Gantz so high up? Is this still some left over boost from that even a while ago? (Forget what exactly, an OVA?)
Prince of Tennis is still on-going?
Why is Bakuman called "Bakuman." Typo or is period part of it's title? (I'm honestly not being snarky but genuinely curious.)
And a few mangaka who turned out to be female when I assumed male, and one the opposite.
And finally got some new titles to glance over to see if anything sparks my interest.
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:27 pm Reply with quote
daichi383 wrote:
KENZICHI wrote:
I've been thinking all this time that Akira Amano is a women. Idk where I got that from, but...

And the person who created Kekkaishi is a girl!? I had no idea! Even Big Windup and Blue Exorcist are all by women!? That's awesome. Very Happy

And I also assume that the person who created Soul Eater is a guy. I need to find out now.

I always asumed that akira amano was a girl because of the image ANN has of her on her info page Wink

And also here:
http://reborn.wikia.com/wiki/Akira_Amano
Atsushi Okubo is a guy last time i checked because of his caricature in the Soul Eater omakes and Natsumi Aida sounds like a womans name if you ask me. Either way, Congrats to OP & Oda-sensei for making an epic manga.
futurefrog

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm sick of ANN spreading false news just to cause a buzz. Akira Amano is a woman guys, it has been publicly stated many times, if you need further proof, she previously released a shojo manga in Japan. She is known as one the most successful female mangaka to create a shonen series. This has been common knowledge for years. I wouldn't take everything ANN says as gospel, thats for sure.

Oh and one last thing, both sources feature lists of 10, with no where on either source stating the rest of the list given by ANN here. So my question is this: Where did these numbers and rankings following 10 come from?
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Could Hiro Mashima's numbers be boosted by people still buying Rave Master, not completely mind but could that be helping somewhat?

That's what I think when I read the title but the CLAMP numbers throws that theory out of whack.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
I am deeply saddened to see no trace of good ol' Katsura on this list. I guess Zetman really isn't that popular over there after all, I'd been wondering why we haven't gotten any animated material at all for it.
The list accounts for manga sold only since January 2010. I love Katsura's work too, but when was the last time he's actually written anything? Lingering sales of older manga will never come close to competing with current and recent releases. Which is why you don't see Rumiko Takahashi on the list either.

Speaking of her, it would be interesting to know who has the most cumulative manga sales over their entire career: Takahashi or Oda?
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:49 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:

That's what I think when I read the title but the CLAMP numbers throws that theory out of whack.

You're right.

Just seems like the numbers are really high, even for a series with an anime bump. Then again, the number are only from the beginning of 2010 to now, maybe it's just the current hype of the past year driving it up. Wonder what the numbers would look like if they accounted for 2009 as well.

Not that Fairy Tail is a god-awful series, but it really should not be that high up, in the teens at the highest.
thewonderer2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
Insert joke about how One Piece is just flat dominating, not that it isn't an amazing series but there are other good series on this list that just don't have the cultural dominance that One Piece has accumulated. It's like posting a list of best selling Childrens/Young Adult fiction, and Harry Potter is miles above the rest.

Various Random Thoughts:
Saint Young Men is really doing that well? (Regardless it's still never coming over here!)
Amused by the fact it's Unknown, Unknown for the Soul Eater author, Atsushi Ohkubo.
Of course CLAMP is up here, but is it that xxxHolic is just currently their best-selling series or it it an overall thing? I wonder by how much.
Why is Gantz so high up? Is this still some left over boost from that even a while ago? (Forget what exactly, an OVA?)
Why is Bakuman called "Bakuman." Typo or is period part of it's title? (I'm honestly not being snarky but genuinely curious.)
And a few mangaka who turned out to be female when I assumed male, and one the opposite.
And finally got some new titles to glance over to see if anything sparks my interest.

There are definitely a lot of series worth OP status but I can't help but feel safe and right that One Piece is on top. Oda is a great guy. One Piece itself is one of the best manga/anime out there. Arguably the best long manga/anime out there. It balanced with everything.

The world is good in manga and anime Very Happy
thewonderer2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:51 pm Reply with quote
maxxjulie wrote:
i like one piece and don't understand why it's so much more popular than naruto and bleach.

Because its much better?
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:59 pm Reply with quote
thewonderer2 wrote:

There are definitely a lot of series worth OP status but I can't help but feel safe and right that One Piece is on top. Oda is a great guy. One Piece itself is one of the best manga/anime out there. Arguably the best long manga/anime out there. It balanced with everything.

The world is good in manga and anime Very Happy

Oh I don't disagree, One Piece is quite possibly my favorite Shonen title, and definitely one of my favorite series in any medium. (And I'd argue definitely the best long-runner manga in terms of constant quality).
I'm going back to the Harry Potter comparison, both series are inserting, creative, and fantastic in their own ways. Are they undeserving of their incredible sales? No. But what's really boosting them is the cultural phenomenon they got caught to.

I'm just aware that some people are annoyed by overzealous fans who will use the numbers to hate on every manga title that isn't One Piece. And no one likes those guys. There are other series on this list that I love, and are selling great, they just can't compare in terms of sales to the Juggernaut of One Piece.

Last edited by Sewingrose on Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:08 pm Reply with quote
futurefrog wrote:
I'm sick of ANN spreading false news just to cause a buzz. Akira Amano is a woman guys, it has been publicly stated many times, if you need further proof, she previously released a shojo manga in Japan. She is known as one the most successful female mangaka to create a shonen series. This has been common knowledge for years. I wouldn't take everything ANN says as gospel, thats for sure.

Nikkei Entertainment, the source of the ranking chart, reported Akira Amano's gender as "unknown." As noted, the manga genre that a creator works in is not indicative of the creator's own gender. So, the question then becomes, who is "publicly" stating Akira Amano's gender?

Quote:
Oh and one last thing, both sources feature lists of 10, with no where on either source stating the rest of the list given by ANN here. So my question is this: Where did these numbers and rankings following 10 come from?

As stated in the article, Nikkei Entertainment — a print magazine — published the list on Thursday. That is why the two links are "via" links, not the original source.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:

Two live-action Gantz films opened in Japan and other countries this year.

Quote:

Under the new name, The New Prince of Tennis.

Quote:
Why is Bakuman called "Bakuman." Typo or is period part of it's title?

That's right, the period is part of the Japanese title.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
Sewingrose wrote:

Two live-action Gantz films opened in Japan and other countries this year.

Quote:

Under the new name, The New Prince of Tennis.

Quote:
Why is Bakuman called "Bakuman." Typo or is period part of it's title?

That's right, the period is part of the Japanese title.

Thank you. (The Bakuman thing just seems random.)
Hospodar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:

I'm just aware that some people are annoyed by overzealous fans who will use the numbers to hate on every manga title that isn't One Piece. And no one likes those guys. There are other series on this list that I love, and are selling great, they just can't compare in terms of sales to the Juggernaut of One Piece.

I think you and some other people are somehow misunderstanding OP fans. They do not hate on every Manga but their hatred focuses on Naruto, Bleach and lately Fairy Tail.

In their eyes OP is pretty much the highest quality that the Shonen Genre has to offer together with FMA.
In their eyes Naruto is an average Manga which was once as good as One Piece but now resembles Bleach more than OP
And in their eyes Bleach is the lowest quality that the Shonen Genre has to offer.

Their hatred comes mainly from the fact that OP is always compared to those 2(BIG 3 etc.) but in their eyes there is a gigantic quality gap between those 3 Manga and therefore the comparison with the other two Manga is an insult to OP.

The comparison to Harry Potter is actually a very good one. Both aimed at children but are so well written that pretty much every age group and gender loves it.

If we do the Book comparison than the fight between OP fans and especially Bleach fans is somewhat similar to the fight between Harry Potter fans and Twilight fans.

I haven’t seen any hatred on Manga which aren’t compared to OP or are considered high class Manga by the majority of serious Manga readers(http://myanimelist.net/topmanga.php?type=&limit=0) and not only those “Big 3” readers or even only Naruto, Bleach and maybe a few other WSJ Manga readers.

And before I forget it but anyone who argues that more popular means “better” shouldn’t be taken serious because everyone knows what he is.
It is true that I have seen OP fans try to argue like that but those statics like this one are mainly used as counter arguments to people who try to argue that for example Naruto is more popular, which is true when you exclude Japan but when you include it than not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4