• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Bad Is Bullying In Japan?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:05 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
It seems to me that a difference between Japan and say America on bullying is a tacit acceptance of it on an institutional level.

Though we're talking about schools here, I'm reminded of the episode of Psycho-Pass where the company pretty much had a designated scapegoat that everyone was allowed to harass to relieve job-stress. Is that the mind-set that silently countenances this in schools as well? That quote above where the schools seemed more concerned with the bullies' feelings than their victims' suggests it could be. Does bullying continue into the workplace as well, with perhaps more subtle tactics?
commshep12

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
It's extremely frustrating to here that most teachers seem to ignore it there. Especially since it seems like the victims are typically actively discouraged from sticking up for themselves when no one else will. At least that what it seems like from the shows I've watched so obviously heaps of salt required.

But on that subject and related the whole junior/senior thing I've seen several anime where the victim is openly bullied but the moment he/she ever says or does anything to in defiance to the bully their own friends and even teachers give them shit for disrespecting a senior. Is that the sort of thing that really happens in these school's too? I just can't wrap my mind around the idea that bullying victims in Japan wont be helped by their peers or authority figures and yet arent allowed to do anything to save themselves. It makes my blood boil just imagining it. =/
Danette-Anime-Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Wow, while I knew there was bullying in Japan I thought it wasn't as bad as it is here, but it seems it's pretty bad there too. The world is a cruel place no matter what country you live in.
JDude042

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:40 pm Reply with quote
xifeng.hu wrote:
I was an awkward kid in school but I never got bullied. Probably because I made it a habit to seem like the crazy, quiet type who might knife you or something if you screw with me.

I never really remember bullying being particularly bad for me until probably my high school years, but I was definitely perceived that way by those who picked on me and they would certainly joke about it. Sadly by then, most of the people I was friends with in middle school had went to a different high school and I lost touch with them, on top of the fact that my high school had a lot of low-life scum who were only at school cause they didn't have a choice in the matter. I guess because I was socially awkward, shy, and almost always nervous it made me an easy target.

To put out a few examples, I remember some small light skin black kid trying to talk crap about me to my face for no reason, I said something derogatory to him and just walked away, and he was pretty pissed. Later that day, out of nowhere he tried to attack me in the lunch room, which was a dumb mistake on his part because he got tackled to the ground by the vice principal, and two other guys I don't remember too well. I never saw him again at school after that, and oddly enough I was never questioned or confronted by anyone about the matter. I never even had any interaction with this guy beforehand, so it's pretty stupid that all that came from just some random twerp trying to bully someone he doesn't even know.

I think another really bad case was some black dude spitting on me from behind, then sometime later, getting in front of me in the lunchroom on my way to the bus at the end of the day. He acted like he wanted my money, or he was gonna beat me up. I kicked him in the balls and ran away as fast as I could. He didn't chase after me, since he was in some definite pain, but he did throw an open bottle of soda at me, which some of it did splatter on me unfortunately. By the time I got home, I ran into my room, buried my face in my pillow and started crying for at least half a hour. The funny thing is nowadays he was apparently with a girl that my mom worked with for a while, but is now in jail for god knows what. I hope the guy dies a cruel and painful death, and rots in hell.

Oh and worst of all, I remember getting bullied by a particular guy so badly, that I didn't go to school for a whole week. People were definitely wondering what was up by that point.

Lets see... I remember this one fat kid hating my guts because I punched him in the head for pouring a can of iced tea over my head from behind. Somewhere down the line, he came into the cafeteria and started rallying up some big commotion about how he was gonna beat the crap out of me in front of everyone, and he was even was carrying a baseball bat with him. What's really hilarious is one day I was at the end of my drive way grabbing the mail out of the mail box. He just happens to be coming down the road in his car. He slows down enough while driving by that he could roll down his window and screams a certain four letter word that begins with F and ends with "You" after it. Laughing I swear some people have issues.

These days, while I'm still someone who prefers to keep to himself and only goes out of his way to interact with people he really cares to get to know, I'm a far cry from how I was over a decade ago and I'm much more sociable when I need to be, and don't come off as being awkward in the slightest. Bullies tend to be bullies because they have their own problems that they can't come to terms with from what I gather, not that it excuses their behavior in the slightest. Any bully in my eyes can fudge off for what it's worth.

Last edited by JDude042 on Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:53 pm; edited 3 times in total
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:48 pm Reply with quote
As a short, chubby, awkward kid with freckles and glasses in middle school and most of high school, I was an obvious bullying target. However, I didn't get picked on that much because I stood up for myself and fought back, violently, whenever someone tried to bully me. It's a wonder what grabbing someone by the throat and slamming their head into a wall will do to their will to continue hustling you for money.
Fight back against bullies, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:22 pm Reply with quote
ResistNormal wrote:
I like to often remind bullies that this is how columbine style shooting develops, do you want that?

Columbine style shootings can still happen even if only one or none of the shooters is bullied. All you need is an asshole with access to his own guns (or his parents) and a desire to kill and you're all set.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Yeah...I kind of dealt with both of these things as exchange student in Japan.

It was a prefecture out in the middle of nowhere and gaijin were not popular. Didn't have many friends. But one night I kind of hit it off with this yamato nadeshiko-type girl at the English teacher's party. So we made plans go to to the beach and we hand fun and held hands walking on the beach. We later made plans to meet up at another party we were throwing at our dorm. We had fun and I asked her if I could walk her to her car. She said yes and I did. So I opened her car door and kissed her goodnight.

She came over the next day and was all shook up over it. "What does that mean!? Do you like me!?"
"Well... Yeah...!"
And you know, we were together. Later some of her friends found me and started yelling at me. Apparently it was huge gossip that I had gone and done that without a "kokuhaku".

Yamato Nadeshiko was a popular girl and the class genius, so for a while I got some sort of popularity as "Nadeshiko's gaijin boyfriend" and her many friends seemed to like me. Or so I thought.

But many hated me for "dating her wrong" for that kokuhaku mistake and who knows what else and started reporting to her every little mistake and faux pas I made and she just got tired of it all.

After she broke up with me, I experienced the unique form of bullying used by Japanese girls-- shunning. This... was... awful. All these people I thought were my friends, including my ex, acting as if I was invisible. Just avoiding all eye contact, ignoring me if spoken to. As an exchange student I only had a few months of that, but I were a Japanese having to endure that for years, I probably would have killed myself.

Towards the end of my stay I decided to give up trying to be Japanese and just act in some dumb, brash American way. I see Nadeshiko's sister in the school store walking right past me shoulder-to-shoulder ignoring me. So I put my hand on her shoulder and say, "Hi, Oneesan!"
"Oh, H-hi," she stammers. "I-I didn't see you. I need to get n-new contacts."
And I just tell her it's good to see her and tell her sister hi.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Every September 1, when summer vacation ends and bullied kids have to go back and face their attackers again, there's an alarming spike in these suicides.

Dear god, no wonder so many of them treat their summer vacations like it's their last.

Honestly, I dealt with my share of bullies too. They were all just pieces of trash trying to validate their pathetic and worthless existences because they were far too unintelligent to be in school. Over time, I had to go to the dean and the principal and tell them these people were bothering me, violating my personal space and calling me things like "faggot" and "gay boy". As usual, all of that was pointless since nothing really could be done unless a teacher or other faculty member happened to be passing by. Eventually it came to a point that I looked at them and said, "Your parents should be ashamed of how stupid you are. Why are you here? This is a school, not a daycare for your immature behavior." I have no idea whether or not that had any effect on them, but I sure as hell was bothered a lot less after that.
Desa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:56 pm Reply with quote
ResistNormal wrote:
I like to often remind bullies that this is how columbine style shooting develops, do you want that?

Good thing Japanese civilians can't own guns. What an excellent way to prevent mass shootings. All for the best really, bullies don't deserve death, especially not the swiftest of deaths afforded by guns.

Meanwhile, in the U.S. there has been... *sighs* yet another mass shooting. This wasn't bullying related as far as I can tell, but it appears to have been a rather sharp homophobic reaction. At this point I would be absolutely shocked if we can go one year without a mass shooting or some unarmed child getting shot by our own law enforcement. Japan's version of homophobia is basically them pretending it doesn't exist. People don't come out of the closet, and the closet becomes the grave The End.
Modern Japanese culture has perfected "don't ask, don't tell" and it extends not just to homosexual matters but a variety of social "taboos" as well, but that's a topic for another day.

The good news is violence and murder in general have been going down year after year, in fact it's the lowest it has ever been in recorded history. We actually live in pretty good times right now, and I realize it's ironic to say that immediately after the single greatest mass shooting to date but the numbers don't lie. At least, if the end times are upon us, they'll be marked by drought, flooding, and famine (the usual suspects) not genocide.

Last edited by Desa on Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:17 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
It seems to me that a difference between Japan and say America on bullying is a tacit acceptance of it on an institutional level. While obviously one must take what happens in anime with a grain of salt when looking to it for insight into Japanese society, but from what I've seen from, for example, Assassination Classroom, is that they take the attitude "That's life. Deal with it" versus the anti-bullying campaigns you see in the US in recent years. Has that solved the issue? Probably not. At the very least, it says that society views that behavior as unacceptable, which doesn't seem to be the case in Japan, which likely contributes to the problem and gives less support to the victims of bullying.

As I see it, It's true that bullying is still obviously prevalent in the US, but if society decides bullying is normal like it Japan, it leads to the higher rate of suicide. Obviously the best thing would be to not have bullying at all, but if it's a game of give or take, I would rather have the presence of bullying with the culturally ineffective deterrents in place rather than societal acceptance and subsequent suicide as a result of its' existence.
StrangeIslands

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:22 pm Reply with quote
EDIT: I hate my posts getting deleted. Freedom of speech!

You do not have the freedom to intentionally create forum disruptions here. Your post was inflammatory and clearly designed to start an argument. If your post is edited or deleted, there is a reason for it, so don't just post the same inflammatory image macro again. -Galap
Afezeria

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:24 pm Reply with quote
StrangeIslands wrote:
-
And this kind of post is what I hate to see popping whenever someone talked about the Japanese culture. Justin has already stated that bullying happened everywhere and yet, people like you acted as if it happened on just one particular nation. And now, Japan deserved the third bombing just for the problem of bullying? Really?..If their culture is not up to your preference, then just give up on it altogether and enjoy something else. This sort of mentality to crash upon another country just because they have different mindset and cultures, different lifestyle than of your own is really that damn annoying.

EDIT : You've clearly have issues. On a more serious relevant response to the topic, bullying is something that indeed happened everywhere and it is not something a nation deserved bombing for. Human really like to fought with each other, no matter how old they are, unless of course they have some sort of relationship going, which introduced peace and bonds between families and other people. I'm myself used to be a target of bullying being back in high school and elementary school, being name-called and shunned upon by other things, and almost no one really came to help, not even the teachers but I used to be a loner back then so there's that. I had endured it for as so long as I could remembered, until I grown large enough that nobody really dared to interfered with my life any more. Now, I'm at college, living a pretty solitute life free of bullying but of course, get acknowledged with all sort of world's problems like guns, nuclear and chemical warfare that is far worse instead that make bullying seemed so soft in comparison. Rolling Eyes

Regarding Japan's problem in bullying, some people has posted things that make me think negatively but being a person that doesn't like judging another country's problem without deep involvement and familiarity with the ongoing issues over there, it doesn't left me any chances to produced comment but just to leave it at their own hand. Their nation doesn't have a hive minded thought so I bet their problem would be taken care of by themselves sooner or later, or if it's get worse, I'm guessing the number of hikikimori would rise. Either way, I'm just praying that we can at least achieved a better and peaceful world some day, even if it's naive to think so. I guess being bullied back then has somewhat developed me toward being at least mature in thinking about other's problem, though I'm just gonna leave that here because I'm always kept blabbering for no reason. Twisted Evil

Last edited by Afezeria on Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:57 pm; edited 4 times in total
StrangeIslands

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
And this kind of post is what I hate to see popping whenever someone talked about the Japanese culture. Justin has already stated that bullying happened everywhere and yet, people like you acted as if it happened on just one particular nation. And now, Japan deserved the third bombing just for the problem of bullying? Really?..If their culture is not up to your preference, then just give up on it altogether and enjoy something else. This sort of mentality to crash upon another country just because they have different mindset and cultures, different lifestyle than of your own is really that damn annoying.

Better get used to it. Japanese culture is set up hurt and destroy people. We fought them in WWII for a reason you know.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:41 pm Reply with quote
StrangeIslands wrote:

Better get used to it. Japanese culture is set up hurt and destroy people. We fought them in WWII for a reason you know.

If Japanese culture is set up to hurt people then why do people still like it, and why is Japanese culture in general one of the most revered in the world? Arts, books, food, sciences, schools are considered to be some of the best in the world. So your statement is somewhat broad, what part pray tell of Japanese culture is set up to hurt people. If I didn't know any better you're just being a troll.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:48 pm Reply with quote
This argument is over. Further posts pertaning to it will be deleted. StrangeIslands, This is your final warning before moderation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5