• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PS4 Console Surpasses 35.9 Million Units Sold Worldwide

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:20 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
Wont ever happen again. Back in the PS2 era Sony had no real competition whatsover. The PS2 was released in 2000 while MS first released the first xbox and Nintendo released the gamecube in 2001. Sony had a huge advantage, alot major exclusive titles they created from the PS One era they used for the PS2. While the xbox was new and only had Halo as a real systemseller. Gamecube only failed because it pretty much sucked as a console lol. Another reason is why no console ever will sell that much again is that the life cyclus of a console generation is much shorter.

PS1: 1994
PS2: 2000
PS3: 2006
PS4: 2013

Generations appear to last 6-7 years. PS4 will need to continue selling massively to beat PS2. Its selling so much because its a great console at a cheap price, superior to Xbox one and cheaper (still Xbox one is selling half of what ps4 is doing but considering its a worse deal overall I guess it's selling too much).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:30 pm Reply with quote
BigHeadClan wrote:

As for the Vita 4 million sales isn't great but I think it may have some life left in it (especially if they do another price cut) a number of people I've talked to myself included are thinking 'of grabbing one. Lots of games are being sold for it but stores just don't seem to carry them, granted a few more first party titles would be nice to see.

Many stores stopped carrying Vita games, besides that Vita itself isn't selling, because much of its games aren't what the masses are into.

Jose Cruz wrote:

Generations appear to last 6-7 years. PS4 will need to continue selling massively to beat PS2. Its selling so much because its a great console at a cheap price, superior to Xbox one and cheaper

No, the XB1 has been cheaper after it separated the Kinect and Microsoft priced it $50 less than PS4 since last holiday season. Until Sony suddenly also priced down the PS4 to the same $350 just this past October. But then Microsoft started offering XB1 bundle deals for $350 or less or the XB1 itself for around $300. So prices been going down.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:23 am Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:

that's because the Vita managed to be even worse then the PSP , and being worse then the PSP is saying something (

I think you meant to throw the PSP Go under the bus since the PSP's lifetime sales overall are about 82 million or so.
theNightster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:02 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
theNightster wrote:

that's because the Vita managed to be even worse then the PSP , and being worse then the PSP is saying something (

I think you meant to throw the PSP Go under the bus since the PSP's lifetime sales overall are about 82 million or so.

I meant in terms of quality, PSP did not have a lot of good games that weren't ports, and the only thing the Vita has going for it is Persona 4 golden which is again a port
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:08 am Reply with quote
I still haven't gotten a PS4 or Xbox one yet I would prefer the PS4 but I think I'll wait a little longer until the price drops some more. Cool
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:54 am Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:
Meanwhile Sony trying hard to deny the existence of PS Vita, especially in West region.

i remember when they first announced it

VITA means LIFE.. Rolling Eyes it was a short life...

as for the PS4.. i'll get one when there's a slim version available

AnimeLordLuis wrote:
I still haven't gotten a PS4 or Xbox one yet I would prefer the PS4 but I think I'll wait a little longer until the price drops some more. Cool

i saw the system at a local costco for $280

500GB no game though

Black Friday 2016 is a good year to get a PS4. They will have some nice bundles by then with the system reach 3 year old.
BigHeadClan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:48 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
BigHeadClan wrote:

As for the Vita 4 million sales isn't great but I think it may have some life left in it (especially if they do another price cut) a number of people I've talked to myself included are thinking 'of grabbing one. Lots of games are being sold for it but stores just don't seem to carry them, granted a few more first party titles would be nice to see.

Many stores stopped carrying Vita games, besides that Vita itself isn't selling, because much of its games aren't what the masses are into.
[/quote]

Indeed and it's understandable that they do so if there are lower sales, on the other hand the Vita actually has twice as many games as the 3DS (according to the wiki page anyhow). So even if a large number are ports or spin-offs I'm sure there is a lots of games that are great.
Guile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:10 pm Reply with quote
The Vita has a lot of great games, but most of them don't get released in the west, and those that do aren't the kind that mainstream western gamers are into. It's a great system if you're into anime and RPGs, but if you're a shooter fan, it's not going to cater to you obviously which is why they might have dropped a lot of support for it in the west.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:10 am Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:

I meant in terms of quality, PSP did not have a lot of good games that weren't ports,

If the success of the Xbox 360 is any indication your video game device doesn't need to have exclusives to be considered quality it just needs a strong library of worthwhile games something that the PSP had and which the Vita admittedly lacks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:05 am Reply with quote
Hello
From all the above generation of Playstation, PS4 is best.
In short order, the PS4 console has taken the gaming world by storm, selling millions of consoles and tons of games to go along with those consoles. Since introducing the PS4, Sony has seen interest in PlayStation grow in ways it hasn’t since the PS2. Understandably, there’s some confusion. Many PS3 users are wondering what all the fuss is about, and why they should be thinking about spending $399 on the PS4 instead of Microsoft’s Xbox One.

Really, there are five major advantages of purchasing the PS4 over Microsoft’s Xbox One or keeping the PS3. Of course, the PS4 is newer than the PS3 and has upgraded hardware already. As that’s a given, users should take it into consideration, along with what’s listed here, before deciding to purchase the console.

Last edited by #872879 on Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:43 am; edited 2 times in total
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:44 am Reply with quote
#872879 wrote:
Hello
Really, there are five major advantages of purchasing the PS4 over Microsoft’s Xbox One or keeping the PS3. Of course, the PS4 is newer than the PS3 and has upgraded hardware already.

You only listed two generic advantages for purchasing the PS4. Where are the other three? This post makes you sound like a Sony exec, a lot of air, but no substance.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:50 am Reply with quote
Not a bad number. Too bad the PS Vita couldn't share the PS4's success due to scarce support...
suzen245

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:28 am Reply with quote
Hello, everyone
ps4's income has now surpassed the forty million milestones, Sony has announced. The discern represents devices sold to purchasers globally, rather than shipped to shops.

Online shopping games
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2