• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Satoshi Kon's Millennium Actress Gets 1st Blu-ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MentalMachine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:57 pm Reply with quote
MajinSaga wrote:
Any word of whether this will bring the dub included?

Almost impossible. It's a well known fact that Satoshi Kon himself disliked dubbing of his works and was grateful that Manga showed the subbed version of Millennium Actress.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I don't blame him. I'd swear off dubs, too, if I saw the one for Perfect Blue. Wink
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:38 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Dreamworks is run by A-holes [...] it would be nice if their rights to it, the live-action Casshern, and GITS 2, expired by now.

I thought their rights to GITS 2 had expired. Bandai released it on DVD and blu-ray 3 or 4 years ago. Wasn't Millennium Actress licensed around the same time?
E-Master

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:52 pm Reply with quote
TJ_Kat wrote:

I thought their rights to GITS 2 had expired. Bandai released it on DVD and blu-ray 3 or 4 years ago. Wasn't Millennium Actress licensed around the same time?

It was released by Bandai a few years ago for short period of time until both the DVD & Blu-ray editions went out of print and the only copies sold online are incredibly expensive. From what I gather there's a bit of an issue on the licensing of the movie in the US. I don't know the major details unless someone can help me on that info. I just know that getting it re-released on DVD & Blu-ray isn't going to be done over night unless the issue has been resolved.

As for Millennium Actress' license in America, I'm not sure the exact date it was license but it was released in 2003 in the US just a year before GitS2. Since GitS2 was released in the US the same year as its original release, its safe to say that Millennium Actress was licensed first since it was the first film released by Go Fish Pictures which only distributed four films before its defunct in 2007. Unless I'm mistaken on the details.

Like GitS2, Millennium Actress's DVD release in the US is also scarce with very limited number of copies avalible on various online shops which all of them are expensive. Not sure what it will take for the film to be re-released in the US.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:18 pm Reply with quote
TJ: GITS 2 was released on Blu-Ray by Bandai with the permission of Dreamworks, so...

E-Master: Used copies of MA are still cheap enough. GITS 2, OTOH....
ElectricDork

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:30 pm Reply with quote
The UK dub for Millennium Actress is very good, IIRC. I remember having to watch it because the only subtitle track on the disc is for hard of hearing viewers, and I couldn't deal with that. Millennium Actress is probably my favourite Kon movie so I would even consider importing the JP version should it include English subtitles.

As for GiTS 2, the UK Blu-ray is widely available, cheap, and--dun-dun-duuuuun--region free.
E-Master

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:03 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

E-Master: Used copies of MA are still cheap enough. GITS 2, OTOH....
I over looked the "used" section while checking the price for the "new" MA DVD. But your right, the film is still common in used. I was greatfull to get a new condition MA DVD when it was still in print. Now if only someone like Discotek or some other company could rescue license the title that way it be in print in the US again.
silentjay

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:55 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Ghost: It won't get picked up, because Dreamworks is run by A-holes who only licensed MA in the first place, so they could crib scenes for Memoirs of a Geisha.

You mean the movie based on the book that Kon cribbed scenes from for MA?
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:33 am Reply with quote
silentjay: The book came first, but the live-action take on Geisha was clearly modeled after Millennium Actress.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2