• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Hero/Heroine Tournament: Finished!

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I popped in to vote too late, so...well, so I didn't.

But for the record, I was going to vote for Shu. That would have been epic...oops. Embarassed
Olliff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:08 am Reply with quote
I'm indifferent to whether we should extend the deadline in order narrow it down to a sole winner. Regardless to if we choose to pick a single winner, I still believe that this tournament has accomplished its purpose.

However, I believe it would be a bad idea to extend it more than a day or so; I believe that many other posters share my concern that while this contest was interesting it will begin to feel more drawn out than it should if it is to continue. Would also hate for plans for the next tournament to be delayed as well. For the record, while I still feel the match is extremely close, I have no intentions in changing my vote.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:12 am Reply with quote
I stated previously that I would be happy with a tie, and I am.

I don't think that the tournament should be extended. People know when the round started and when it would end.

I also think that Shu and Duck are two very extraordinary beings and they both deserve the title of Best Hero(ine)!
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:29 am Reply with quote
I think this result works just fine. A tie really demonstrates how equal the two opponents were and so I think them sharing the title better demonstrates the results of the tournament than extending things and trying to see if that would change things (and it very easily may not).
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:17 am Reply with quote
I'm fine with a tie and I don't feel the need to have a single winner. A tie shows that they are both superb characters.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:11 am Reply with quote
I think a tie for the final spot is perfectly in line with the tenor of this tournament, and extending the vote would be wrong.

As it is, I'm happy that both the finalists got a chance to stand in the limelight, here at the end. Though, really, it's been cream-of-the-crop since before the semifinals, even.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:57 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Though, really, it's been cream-of-the-crop since before the semifinals, even.

- abunai

Yeah, it really has. I'd say the final 8 and a little before were all pretty great...that's a total rarity, isn't it?
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:45 am Reply with quote
I'm a little disappointed that participation dropped off so much over the second half of the tournament, although it was still better (506 votes total) overall than for the Most Intelligent Character one (456 votes total), and only slightly behind Best Duos (515 votes total).

Congratulations to DerekTheRed and Mad_Scientist for correctly guessing the winner(s) of the tournament, and congrats again to Mad_Scientist for breaking 200 points. Derek's 10 points, by the way, bump him up to fourth place, passing abunai and Olliff (tied for fifth, now), as well as JesuOtaku.

Mad_Scientist, mow123, and Key, I'll be contacting you all by PM probably some time this weekend about prizes.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:30 am Reply with quote
Since the consensus so far is that the results are fine as is, they will stand as is.

A big thanks to ccdx for continuing to handle the video clips (my technical expertise is only slowly approaching the level where I could do that myself) and to Dorcas_Aurelia for managing the minigame.

The stuff about setting up the next tournament I'll deal with in a separate thread. We'll close this one out with a little thing I like to call. . .

Post-Mortem

Given the way the tournament has gone, please consider some or all of the following questions:

1) Is there anything you would like to see changed about the way the tournaments are organized and run?

2) Did/will the discussions and/or video clips inspire you to watch any title you have not already scene?

3) This tournament started being organized in late February, with a participation requirement being that at least one full season (or the entire series run, if shorter) had to have been available, so series that started anew in the winter season were not eligible. Is there any character from the winter or spring seasons you feel deserved to be included, or any character from an older source you feel got overlooked?

4) Given things you have learned about characters since the start of the tournament, is there any early voting choice you would do differently were the tournament to be rerun?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Post-Mortem thoughts:
1) I still think there are some great manga only characters who still can't join in the fun. I know it would be difficult to implement them in clips and I can see why emphasis would be put for anime series, but I've always considered one of the underlying objectives of the tournaments to convince people to try out new series, anime or manga.
Conduct was much better this time around and less people did vote changes for strategic reasons as compared to the last tourney or just spent time making everyone else annoyed. Hiding the seeds was a good idea for the characters I was unaware of, I'd do that again. It still worked for the most part (7 out of 8, think last tourney got 7 out of 8 too with non-hidden seeds), but also made it more interesting when I was unaware of who the seeds were.

2) This time around, not really, although it did last tourney (not counting series that were in both tourneys). If I hadn't already seen Princess Tutu 4-5 times before the tourney started, then I would've probably seen it for the first time.

3) I don't believe Yoshimori from Kekkaishi was in the tourney. I wouldn't have expected him to get overly far to be honest, but I'm not even sure he was in nominations (or I'm sure I would've voted for him in nominations). Was anyone from Hunter X Hunter in the tourney?

4) Probably not.

And, as always, big thanks to Key, D_A, and ccdx for tournament organization and support.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:24 pm Reply with quote
1) Picking up on what classicalzawa said, I think maybe it would be a good idea to try out having manga-only characters and events allowed to be a part of the tournament. We can always go back to excluding them the next one, if it doesn't work, but I think it would be helpful when discussing the full range of certain characters (especially characters who do appear in an anime but have substantial material left out from the manga).

2) I watched Princess Tutu during the course of the tournament and was very glad to have done so. I also plan to watch Now and Then, Here and There sometime in the near future.

3) Not really. Every character who I wanted in the tournament was in it somewhere, though I'm still sad that Quatre ended up against Duck in the first round.

4) I don't know if I ever voted against Shu, except for one round with Sailor Moon, but if there were any others I wouldn't have done so, knowing what I now know. I think I voted for Duck every round, except the first where Quatre got a pity vote.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:26 pm Reply with quote
1. Nothing I can think of.

2. Several: Kurau watched via rental. Godanner, Utawarerumono purchased and watched. Twelve Kingdoms, Rurouni Kenshin (first two seasons) purchased, but not yet watched. Made the decision to start buying Moribito based off the tourney which I had seen some of. Rereading the thread might give me more ideas for watching/purchasing.

3. Not that I can think of, but then I only keep up with dvd releases, but have been dabbling in legal streams recently. (Huge backlog of unwatched DVDs, and not enough time).

4. I would not have voted for Kurau over Nausicaa, I was a little swayed by some of the info in the thread, but also in reviews of the show.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:37 pm Reply with quote
1. classicalzawa's idea is interesting. I wouldn't mind trying it out.

2. Maybe I will watch The Third: The Girl With The Blue Eye

3. Akira Takizawa from Higashi no Eden.

4. Probably not.
It's not connected with changing votes, but I think Toma Kamijo from To Aru Majutsu no Index was underestimated and deserved more support.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:40 pm Reply with quote
For my own part:

1) As long as this is in the Anime forum, it will concentrate on anime characters and content. (And I'm speaking as much as a Moderator as an organizer here.) Even if not for that, doing "clips" for manga characters would be immensely more complicated.

2) Seeing the later clips for Balsa made me dearly want to see the rest of Moribito, but that was already on my mind anyway.

3) Had we started this tournament a few months later, Guin from Guin Saga would have not only been in it but been a significant contender, too. He is heroic to the core in a classic fantasy sense. (He regularly rescues/protects people, fights off monsters, goes on heroic quests, brings disparate tribes together to defeat a common foe, and so forth.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Congratulations to DerekTheRed and Mad_Scientist for correctly guessing the winner(s) of the tournament, and congrats again to Mad_Scientist for breaking 200 points. Derek's 10 points, by the way, bump him up to fourth place, passing abunai and Olliff (tied for fifth, now), as well as JesuOtaku.

Woot.

1. I completely disagree with having manga characters in the tournaments. This is, after all, the anime forum. As for changes, I think these tourneys need to be sped up. Maybe do 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D then 2A and 2B, 2C and 2D, 3A and 3B, 3C and 3D, 4A and 4B, 4C and 4D, Quarterfinals, Semifinals, Finals. That makes it 13 weeks (which could then be lined up with the Japanese TV schedule) instead of 20.

2. They reminded me that I need to see Moribito.

3. None that I know of.

4. I may have started voting for Princess Tutu earlier, I can't remember how I voted back then...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 75 of 77