• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - What the Hell is Happening in Darling in the FRANXX?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:17 am Reply with quote
@TexZero James had a fairly positive perspective of the series during it's middle third, his reviews were very optimistic and constantly highlighted the show's strengths, I remember him mentioning how much he liked episode 13 and how effective he found it. IIRC up until episodes 16-17 he mentioned how although he had many issues with the series, he overall liked it and enjoyed it quite a bit. It wasn't until 17-18 that he completely turned on the show and even now he's expressed he still hopes the story will have a satisfying conclusion. It's not his or ANN's fault that the show jumped the shark so hard numerous of its defenders and avid fans have been completely turned off it. Even Theron Martin -who tends to have a very different taste and interests compared to other ANN staff- hasn't expressed much interest or excitement about the series. Even though ANN staff tends to be left-leaning, if you look at their individual best and worst lists you'll see there's actually a very wide range of opinions. It just so happens that this particular series, at this point in the game, has earned itself relatively similar critiques, although I think Jake and Zac's criticism of it does have some differences with what Nick and Steve talk about. ANN can't go hiring a new writer each time all of their staff are in general agreement over whether a certain show is good or not
TexZero

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:38 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
@TexZero James had a fairly positive perspective of the series during it's middle third, his reviews were very optimistic and constantly highlighted the show's strengths, I remember him mentioning how much he liked episode 13 and how effective he found it. IIRC up until episodes 16-17 he mentioned how although he had many issues with the series, he overall liked it and enjoyed it quite a bit. It wasn't until 17-18 that he completely turned on the show and even now he's expressed he still hopes the story will have a satisfying conclusion. It's not his or ANN's fault that the show jumped the shark so hard numerous of its defenders and avid fans have been completely turned off it. Even Theron Martin -who tends to have a very different taste and interests compared to other ANN staff- hasn't expressed much interest or excitement about the series. Even though ANN staff tends to be left-leaning, if you look at their individual best and worst lists you'll see there's actually a very wide range of opinions. It just so happens that this particular series, at this point in the game, has earned itself relatively similar critiques, although I think Jake and Zac's criticism of it does have some differences with what Nick and Steve talk about. ANN can't go hiring a new writer each time all of their staff are in general agreement over whether a certain show is good or not

I'm not asking them to hire new writers. What i'm asking is and i know this is hard to seperate from this show because its messaging is all over the place, but different talking points. If you just take a casual look back from this article to about 14 the overwhelming talking points are the same and that's a turn off for pretty much any reader/listener.

I'd like to think that a show with as many talking points as this one has more to digest and take away from it other than the cohabitation and societal norms. But that seems to be all that gets covered.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:45 am Reply with quote
I've no idea what you mean that the points discussed are the same as in episode 14 when most of this article is talking about the Aliens plot twist and everything that derives from it. The Ikuno scene is in episode 18. Also the issue of Zero Two's personality getting completely neutered only happened after 15. Klaxosaur princess wasn't introduced until 16-17, her short-lived role was also discussed here, as was a lot of stuff related to the flashback episode and Dr. Frank's character, that's episode 19. Etc etc. Heck, the "bitchigo" controversy isn't even mentioned. I don't think they talked about any plot point before episode 16-17.
TexZero

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:17 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
edited down for size

What's been posted to the site as critique has largely consisted of hitting the same low hitting fruit ad-nasuem.

This article's only saving grace is that it's critique is largely meant to be taken as lightly and jovial as possible. In doing so they limit themselves to never tripping up on the same statements for long. That does not however mean that they didn't fall into the pratfall of taking the low hanging fruits.

I know it's often hard when reviewing to separate yourself from the easy to cover topics or even topics relevant to yourself/your market that however doesn't mean you shouldn't aim to have more diverse topics covered rather than the same 2-3.
Ashabel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:34 am Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
If you just take a casual look back from this article to about 14 the overwhelming talking points are the same and that's a turn off for pretty much any reader/listener.

No, they're not. The only context in which the talking points of the previous article get brought up is one where those talking points have been rendered irrelevant because Darling in the Franxx's writing is too much of a mess to carry a message about anything. The rest of the article discusses the revelations of the last three episodes, how they affected the public perception of the show, as well as both short and long problems with its writing.
TexZero

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:41 am Reply with quote
Ashabel wrote:
TexZero wrote:
If you just take a casual look back from this article to about 14 the overwhelming talking points are the same and that's a turn off for pretty much any reader/listener.

No, they're not. The only context in which the talking points of the previous article get brought up is one where those talking points have been rendered irrelevant because Darling in the Franxx's writing is too much of a mess to carry a message about anything. The rest of the article discusses the revelations of the last three episodes, how they affected the public perception of the show, as well as both short and long problems with its writing.

What you're seeing and what i'm seeing must be two different things then because from right after the picture of the Virm till Kokoro's morning sickness they've beat the same two talking points to death. The same talking points they've slaughtered in pretty much every article since about episode 14. Then they attribute all of what the perceive as wrong or damaging to poor writing.

Now i'll let you digest how much of the article is used to cover the same two talking points but i can assure you its a majority.
ChimeyChime

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:48 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
TasteyCookie wrote:
Honestly I have never felt so attacked for liking a show in my entire life. Thanks to the reviewers on here, and their far more toxic Twitter rants, I have since stopped reading other reviews on this site. It just makes me depressed to browse an anime news site and be called horrible things like a Nazi or unsupporting of LGBT or completely lacking in critical thinking or all the other terrible things that have been said or conveyed.

Serious question: Why do you think you're being attacked/criticized/scolded/whatever? It looks like this column, at least, is staying clear of the "man can you believe some people are STUPID enough to like this" trap. It's all about the authors' own opinions and analysis of the show itself.

Seems to me that most people these days view differing opinions as personal attacks.
jrockfreak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:50 am Reply with quote
I loved the last episode and have been loving the show in general. I could see how some may not like the story but I personally have been loving it, its one of my favorite shows this year
Ashabel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:14 am Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
Now i'll let you digest how much of the article is used to cover the same two talking points but i can assure you its a majority.

No, it's not. The article skips talking points every paragraph because there are so many of them and they're all stupid.

I seriously have no idea where you're reading the article you claim to be reading.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:12 pm Reply with quote
First of all, huge criticism of the format of this otherwise awesome column: None of the pictures show up on my phone anymore, which often hinders the context of the conversation. I'm visually impaired, and while I have enough vision to use a computer (when I get to one) and make out all the images, captions and GIFs, I'm sure there are other people out there besides me (and including me) who would really appreciate it if you added accessibility text in brackets under the images so that we are not lost on the jokes. Thank you!

Ok, now on to DitF: Boy is this show a trainwreck It didn't even follow through on its initial promise of "piloting giant robots as sex metaphor" for *most* of its episodes, and then it got both boring and weird all at once while taking itself way too seriously. *sigh* I don't even like Gurren Lagann, but at least that show had a sense of humor!

Gonna follow through to the end, where Futoshi will undoubtedly end up as Kokoro's baby's nanny.
Scherzo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I think more than it having problematic politics, it's the maudlin tone and self-serious that makes it irritating to watch.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Scherzo wrote:
Our definitions of what makes good plot structure, good character writing, good coherency; all of that is socially constructed, and contingent on sociocultural values.You can't take a knife and go 'this is objective and this is subjective'. It's all subjective.

I don't think it really matters whether this stuff is socially constructed or biologically universal. A perspective taken by a person doesn't become objective if we're able to somehow show that it is a viewpoint biologically imposed upon them, nor does it become objective if we find that it is a perspective somehow biologically embedded in all people. Or, to spin about the same point from a related angle: suppose all human beings die tomorrow of tedium from FranXX's info-dump episode; despite that all humans would then (vacuously) agree on all manner of things, it doesn't follow that all manner of things would become objective just for lack of a person to disagree about them, because universal agreement among subjective agents and objectivity aren't the same thing anymore than objectivity is determined by whether a phenomenon is fundamentally social, biological, or some indiscernible interaction of the two.

Rather, objectivity is about applying reason to sift through facts. At the most superficial level, this just amounts to regurgitating lame empirical observations about the show -- 02's hair is pink, the show tells us Klaxie is a space person fighting other space people, Hiro is a boring dolt (I kid, I kid.. well, sorta). But we can make more nuanced arguments in an objective manner as well, in the conditional sense that we first specify axioms that characterize e.g. good plot structure / character writing and then argue that the show exhibits those characteristics based on the base-level facts in the show. Whether someone accepts or rejects our conclusions as true of the show will of course depend on whether they accept our axioms, and so there's certainly some important subjectivity at the ground level, but that doesn't mean we should dismiss the whole enterprise of argument about art as purely subjective. I think that's quite the overreaction, especially since this situation is perfectly analogous to every single one of the sciences and mathematics; "objective facts" are also only learned there after conditioning on some baseline assumptions. Nothing's without some foundation that people can choose to disagree about, whether in good or bad faith.

I think it's also very easy to mislabel as 'subjective' in discussing art that which is instead ambiguous and/or difficult to phrase precisely, since this is even more common in the arts than in the sciences, and is often the point of some art. It is difficult to give a precise definition of 'depth' in writing or character development, for example, or to give a carefully formal definition of Hiro's heroic blandness, but that doesn't mean we should relegate arguments about those two things to the bin of sheer and simple subjectivity. More often than not it means we haven't dug deep enough to articulate the ideas we're dealing with in sufficient clarity for parties operating mutually in good faith to agree upon how they apply to e.g. Hiro and whatever standard axioms-of-non-shit-writing we're currently conditioning on.
Vadara

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Gan_HOPE326 wrote:

Regarding the story itself: completely agree, it's an unfocused mess. It has no theme, no coherence, no logic. Things just happen at random. Zero Two has lost all personality. Dr. Franxx might be the worst case of "tell, don't show" I've ever seen in a character arc, where we're supposed to partially sympathise with a character when he has not shown on ONE single redeeming situation. He's always been consistently awful, he was introduced in episode 1 as the guy who groped Nana and proudly died as a child torturer and generally horrible guy.

The more I think about Werner, the more I think that the sole reason you're supposed to sympathize with him is because he wants to screw the dino-loli, because presumably you, the viewer, also want to!

Granted, at least his character wasn't utterly trashed like Zero Two's was. I loved her then she became a docile moe moe-kyun waifublob "tamed" by the hero and now it's just like, come on man. Then she thanks the man that tortured her after creating her. COME ON.
Denys Lalande

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:47 pm Reply with quote
I was just surprised to see a reference to the pro-wrestling show _TNA Impact!_ appear.

Though, as it happens: TNA is also infamous for Godawful Plotting and Scripting.... (Could it be this anime was actually a Vince Russo vehicle?)
nargun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:43 am Reply with quote
Scherzo wrote:
Yeah I think more than it having problematic politics, it's the maudlin tone and self-serious that makes it irritating to watch.

Two sides of the same coin, really: the shitty politics comes from the same place as the shitty plotting, the dull self-satisfaction of the scriptwriting team. They're trying to tell stories about things they've never really thought about, and mirabile dictu, the stories are offensive and they're boring.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8