• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Forum Tournament - Nominations - Voting Period

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hikari14

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:11 am Reply with quote
The fact that only four people voted so far kinda worries me... Confused
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:58 am Reply with quote
I plan on voting. It's just really time-consuming to make nominations, update the list of candidates, and all the other stuff I'm trying to keep up with and maintain over in Series Discussion.

Part of it, though, is I also think there aren't as many people who frequent the forums like there were during the last tourney. It kinda' saddens me this place isn't as booming as it used to be.

For people who are out there, but haven't commented, yet, don't be afraid to vote! Nominations are pretty much taken care of, already. Just give a +1, -1, or not to a character who you think is a major badass.
Hikari14

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:36 am Reply with quote
What about others?

I mean, there were five-ish people who nominated. Where are they?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Added pics to my other post above. Took out a couple of characters and adjusted the nominations rosters on Page 1.

Much obliged. Going through things now and double checking. Then I'm going to add my own +1 or -1 votes. Then post my last set of nominations and update the list again lol.
Hikari14

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Okay, if no one else votes during the next seven days, then I am withdrawing my nominations, all of them. Cos if no one else votes, then we would have, like, ten-ish candidates that were upvoted so far, which I don't think is enough to run a successful tournament.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Hikari14 wrote:
What about others?

I mean, there were five-ish people who nominated. Where are they?

Like Tony said the forums just aren't as active as in past years. This is the case all over the internet at web based forums. More and more people are migrating to discord chat rooms and other similar places. Just as many are going to digital print for news and magazines over traditional paper magazines. It's a miracle Newtype is still going. I think more people will show up when it comes time for the actual dedicated voting period and actual tournament.

Hikari14 wrote:
Okay, if no one else votes during the next seven days, then I am withdrawing my nominations, all of them. Cos if no one else votes, then we would have, like, ten-ish candidates that were upvoted so far, which I don't think is enough to run a successful tournament.

Like I said characters that have 0 votes are considered neutral. They get in, provided they are not from a series with more than 3 nominations who have more upvotes than them. We are going to have a full slate, relax. Also, it is really up to the discretion of those running it (i.e. myself) in regards to removing nominations. You are certainly not required to participate if you so choose, but any nominations thus far are going to be put it provided they meet the few requirements. Getting so worked up is only going to turn people away from participating. Relax.

Don't forget, if you're participating in the mini-game make sure to clearly state you are so I can add you to the list. Once the tournament starts people cannot join then. As a reminder the winner will get a $50 TRSI, Amazon, or RACS gift cert furnished by yours truly. Your choice of which.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I updated the list of nominations with all of my +1 votes for every character I wanted to. There are a few I might give a -1 to, but I'll wait and see how the week of voting goes first. See where characters wind up. Below is my final list of nominations. I'll update the post with photos and descriptions after I post it. Been having power issues here today so I wanna get the names posted at least so I don't lose them.

Yu Yu Hakusho:
Yusuke Urameshi

Yusuke is not the typical Shonen Jump MC. Typically they're the under powered and not quite badass of the group. Normally it's a supporting characters role. From the start though Yusuke displays a cocky arrogance, quick temper and mouth, and general kick ass first take names later mentality. As he grows more powerful he actually becomes more subdued attitude wise in some ways.

Gurren Lagann:
Kamina

I can't believe no one nominated him yet. Kamina is like badass incorporated. He simply runs his life by machismo and heart. Yea he can be overly cocky at times, but it really does come from a good place and he kicks his own comrades butts just as much as enemies to get them to believe in their own powers. That to me makes him even more of a badass.

Captain Harlock:
Harlock

Gotta go old school with this vote. Harlock is the OG badass space pirate. Any that have come after him need to stop and tip their hats to this man. Calm, cool, swagger, and competence. Plus he definitely has the classic noble aspect many "pirate" types had as they fought against corrupt regimes.

Seven Deadly Sins:
Escanor

Escanor truly exibhits the sin of pride that is his name sake. He is utterly confidant in his powers and abilities. Which are honestly almost second to none.

Psycho Pass:
Shinya Kougami

His higher criminal mentality in the show allows him to predict and capture suspects more easily than other investigators. Beyond that he fights the Sybal system and a lot of the ideas it represents. He doesn't let things get in the way of justice. Plus his showdown with Makishima was epic badass level.

Durararara:
Shizuo Heiwajima

He's a hot tempered badass who is almost as violent as some of the bad guys. Especially when Orihara is involved.

Fairy Tail:
Erza Scarlet

Say what you will about her but Erza is a mix of complete badass and kick ass swordsmanship and magic. She is one of the most powerful members in FT and it's not just due to raw power. It's her never give up mentality.

Highschool of the Dead:
Saeko Busujima

Yes HSOTD is a total T&A zombie show. WHile it may not have much going for it beyond that, Saeko is the clear badass of the series. Her belief in her skills and swordsmanship with a kendo stick is unrivaled. She might fall into the typical harem trope eventually, but you can't deny her badass fighting skills and intellect during combat either.

Soul Eater:
Maka Albarn

Maka has a mouth on her, and a temper, though not as bad as Soul. She also has some real skills and a never give up attitude. She'll rush headfirst into a situation and refuses to give up. She also is able to show a lot of keen intellect and cunning in battle.

Claymore:
Teresa

If there was a definition needed for calm, cool, and collected badass Teresa would be that definition. She is confidant in her abilities, but not overly cocky or flashy about it. She is the most powerful of the Claymores and for good reason. Plus her penchant for enjoying scaring humans also plays into her badass factor.

Sailormoon:
Haruka Tenou (Sailor Uranus)

She is easily the most badass of the various sailor scouts in my opinion. She also is the most of what I would call an anti-sailor scout. She's is more stern and judgmental than most others scouts. About the only thing she cares about at first truly is her partner Neptune. However, no one can deny her badass fighting abilities or attitude in combat, and out of it. She would be the sailor scout that has swagger in spades and is why I am nominating her over Lita (Sailor Jupiter) even though I like Lita more.

Akame ga Kill:
Leone

Imagine Kamina as a female cat hybrid assassin. Leone has that same over the top swagger and penchant for running head first into any combat situation. She also often gets by on sheer determination and willpower. Despite that she does truly care for her other partners and would do anything for them.

My Hero Academia:
Shoto Todoroki

To me Todoroki exhibits the more calm and collected badass persona. Until he lets loose finally with all of his power. I think his determination to not be his father is part of what makes him a badass. He could just ride the gravy train with his powers and namesake but chooses not to.

Eijiro Kirishima

While not seen by many as one of the top students at UA I think he's a very underrated character. We see later on just how capable he is with his quirk when he uses it to it's full potential. He also has that dive head first into battle and believe in yourself and comrades mentality. Others might be more powerful than him, but he's got more of that badass mentality to him.

All Might

I couldn't forget to nominate the one and only All Might. At first glance he might be seen simply as a powerful character (like Saitama or say Goku), but not a badass one. To me where he crosses into the badass territory (and they don't) is how he keeps pushing himself past his own limits knowing what it is doing to him. He refuses to simply sit back and let other heroes do the job while he preserves what is left of his quirk. Yea he's powerful, but he's also badass in that never give up fight for justice no matter the cost mentality.

Dimension W:
Kyouma Mabuchi

Mabuchi is a personal favorite of mine. I love his quiet swagger and skills with those wires of his. The way he dispatches enemies while remaining almost indifferent to them stands out. And he does it while staying fully human and not relying on the power of coils. Plus, that car..I mean common.

Gundam Thunderbolt:
Io Fleming

I could go with several Gundam characters over the various series but I settled on Io. He's got the cocky self assured mentality in spades. The skills to back it up. What sets him apart is how even if his gundam is destroyed he finds a way to still accomplish the mission. He doesn't give in when captured. Plus, the cool jazz certainly gives me vibes of Spike in a gundam.

Ikki Tousen:
Moutoku Sousou

This is another pure T&A show. It's one about badasses fighting each other. And the ladies clothes exploding in the process. However, in my mind the biggest badass of the series is none of the ladies, but rather Sousou. He is unconcerned with much of the goals of the others and their factions. He wasn't even one of the most powerful, until his dragon awoke and he basically went super saiyan. Then he became even more confidant and cared even less what others thought. He handled things his own way.

Gangsta:
Nicolas Brown

The entire series exudes a badass aura, but at the heart of that is Nicolas. It's not just about his power, but his sheer glee he gets in combat. He's self assured and always ready to throw down. A definite kick ass first and takes name later guy. Did I mention he does all of this while being deaf and unable to hear his opponents and their movements?

Fatal Fury:
Terry Bogard

Another OG badass here. Terry is basically Goku before there was Goku. Always looking for a strong opponent to fight and raise his own power. What makes him truly badass in my book though is the fact he admits when he does need to learn more to defeat someone. Like Krauser in the second OVA. Then he simply goes and becomes more powerful with his own new technique.

One Piece:
Zoro

While many of the straw hat pirates are powerful, few are powerful and have that badass mentality like Zoro. He's one of the only pirates in the group who has actually killed, and he is one of the most perceptive members of the crew. He's also the true realist of the group, but even when the odds are not in their favor he does not give up.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:22 pm Reply with quote
My +1s, so far (will edit them in myself, and this goes down the franchises alphabetically).

Levi
Gennousuke
Guts
(All the Black Lagoon ladies)
Byakuya, Kenpachi, Aizen
Teresa
Spike
Hei
Tomioka, Muzan, Shinobu
Cell, Goku, Vegeta
Re-L
Terry
Gligamesh, Archer, Kiritsugu
Kenshiro
Bradley, Mustang, Scar
Edmond Dantes
Major Kusanagi
Onizuka
Beyond the Grave
Ippo, Takamura, Sendou
Alucard, Integra, Walter
Gon, Hisoka, Kurapica
Sesshoumaru
Dio, Joseph, Jōtarō
Satoru Gojō
Ozen the Immovable
Reigen, Mob
Char
Grimmer
Balsa
Jiraiya, Kakashi, Shikamaru
Jubei
Genos, Metal Bat, Saitama
Ains Ooal Gown
Hiko Seijūrō, Saitō, Aoshi
Jin, Mugen
Nanashi
Vash
D
----------

There were 2 entries for Harlock, one under "Space Captain Harlock" and simply "Captain Harlock." I deleted the Space one, since there's already other Space there, so note that Harlock is under Captain, now.
Hikari14

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I shall give + 1 to Kamina, Erza and Leone
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Hikari14 wrote:
I shall give + 1 to Kamina, Erza and Leone

Added.

And upon further contemplation, I also give +1 to Kamina.

Haven't seen that show in years, but I will always remember that attitude.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:26 pm Reply with quote
A few +1s I missed from earlier: Vampire Hunter D, Char Anzable, Vash the Stampede
And from Psycho's recent post: Kamina, Sailor Uranus, Terry Bogard

31) Nancy Makuhari aka Miss Deep from Read Or Die OVA. She's hot, she's a secret agent, and she has the supernatural ability to phase through solid objects. Naturally that lends itself to some awesome combat tricks; she pulls of stunts that Indiana Jones and James Bond could only dream of. And while this title has several superpowered characters she is the only one manages to find time to pose for the camera on a regular basis. Her attitude is dialed up to 11 for sure.

32) Ayanokoji Pai, sanjiyan form, from 3x3 Eyes. As the last surviving member of a race of three-eyed immortals with magical powers Pai is essentially the most powerful being on earth. Sure there are a variety of demons and beasts but she's capable of literally blasting them to bits with a snazzy hand gesture. She knows this well and thus has an extremely cold, arrogant attitude.

33) Keiko Mekata, later Keiko Tatsumiya from Doomed Megalopolis. This title is filled with characters possessing supernatural abilities, most notably Kato Yasunori, the main antagonist. Kato easily defeats many skilled opponents from feng shui masters to martial artists and even another powerful onmyoji descended from Abe no Seimei himself. His magic is powerful enough to move the moon closer to the earth. Yet it is Keiko, a miko, who wipes the floor with Kato's shikigami with martial prowess and destroys Kato himself by channeling the power of the bodhisattva Kannon, against whom Kato, an oni, is powerless.

34) Largo from Bubblegum Crisis. A cybernetic being of immense power and strength, Largo is capable of crushing coins into lumps of metal with his fist. He's strong enough to take on the Knight Sabers hardsuits and early generation motoslaves and utterly destroy them in a physical fight. And if that wasn't enough he can control a worldwide network of orbital particle beam satellites with merely a thought.

Last edited by AkumaChef on Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:47 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
A few +1s I missed from earlier: Vampire Hunter D, Char Anzable, Vash the Stampede
And from Psycho's recent post: Kamina, Sailor Uranus, Terry Bogard

Added.

Also added your characters, which reminded me to nominate and +1:

R.O.D. (Read or Die):
Yomiko Readman / The Paper -- As eccentric and absent minded of a bookworm as she is, her paper manipulations skills are top-notch. You wouldn't think controlling paper as being badass, but here we are.

+1 to Miss Deep, as well.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Am compelled to endorse Yomiko Readman. My dear goddesses, I do so love that OAV; I've been meaning to check out the TV series, but I haven't gotten around to it.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:42 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
Am compelled to endorse Yomiko Readman. My dear goddesses, I do so love that OAV; I've been meaning to check out the TV series, but I haven't gotten around to it.

Vote added.

The TV series is pretty good. It gets a wee bit melodramatic in the last few episodes, but the adventure and intrigue are pretty good throughout the rest. I would definitely recommend it to compliment the OAV.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:19 am Reply with quote
I love Yomiko Readman myself; she is my favorite character from R.O.D. That said, is she really appropriate for this contest? Obviously her paper manipulation skills are baddass to be sure, but when I read the early part of this topic the posts by Psycho 101 suggest that this is about attitude and swagger more than it is badass abilities. Yomiko certainly has impressive powers but she falls flat in attitude or swagger department. I'd say the same about Saitama from One Punch Man--obviously his powers are top tier but his attitude is far from badass.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10