• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Forum Tournament - Nominations - Voting Period

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:44 am Reply with quote
I think the more characters there are, the more chaotic and fun the tourny can be, so here's a bunch of nominees (not a lot of description because of the sheer quantity of people; might get more detailed as they progress):

Black Lagoon

Balalaika -- Ex-soldier gone crime boss and leader of Hotel Moscow. Did some time in the Soviet Army, got some gnarly scars.

Roberta -- Ex-Colombian-soldier turned maid. But she can still assassinate with the best of them. Just her fight with Revy is a pretty good indicator of her tenacity.

-----

Bleach

Byakuya Kuchiki -- Has pride.

Ichigo Kurosaki -- Number one.

Kenpachi Zaraki -- Got his eye on you.

Kisuke Urahara -- Mr. Hat-and-Clogs.

Renji Abarai -- Number two(?).

Sōsuke Aizen -- Mastermind.

Yoruichi Shihōin -- Fast as a cat, and also ferocious.

-----
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba

Giyū Tomioka -- Soft spoken, but deadly.

Kyōjurō Rengoku -- Flame Hashira.

Muzan Kibutsuji -- The bad guy boss for a reason.

Shinobu Kochō -- Poisons are pretty deadly, too.

-----
Dragon Ball (Z/Super)

Broly -- Legendary Super Saiyan.

Perfect Cell -- The best of everybody.

(Teen) Son Gohan -- Before he went lame with the Saiyaman stuff.

Son Goku -- No introduction needed.

(Future) Trunks -- I think it's the bandana and sword.

Vegeta -- Prince of Saiyans who, contrary to popular belief, is not actually British.

-----

Fate/ (Zero; stay night: Unlimited Blade Works)

Archer (Gilgamesh) -- King of Heroes.

Archer spoiler[(Emiya)] -- He is the bone of his sword...

Berserker (Heracles) -- Tough as nails.

Kiritsugu Emiya -- No magic. Just really great assassination skills and spycraft.

Rider (Iskandar) -- King of Conquerors. And voiced by the always-awesome Akio Ōtsuka.

-----
Fullmetal Alchemist

Izumi Curtis -- Edward and Alphonse's master.

Roy Mustang -- The Flame Alchemist and hero of Ishval. Particularly dangerous when you mess with his friends.

Scar -- Survived genocide during the Ishvalan Rebellion. He's driven by vengeance and rage. Watch out for that right arm of his.

-----
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

Motoko Kusanagi -- How is she not already on here?

-----
Great Teacher Onizuka

Eikichi Onizuka -- 22 years old. Pretty down-to-earth character compared to a lot of the people in this tourney, but he's probably the most determined guy out there when he puts his mind to it.

-----

Hajime no Ippo

Ippo Makunouchi -- Main protagonist of the series who went from being picked on in high school to eventual boxing champion.

Mamoru Takamura -- The multi-weight class behemoth of Kamogawa Gym. Ippo's initial inspiration. You should look up some of his knockouts.

Takeshi Sendou -- The Rocky of Naniwa. His Smash can even break blocks and still do damage. The guy is pure grizzle.

-----

Hellsing Ultimate

Alucard -- The #1 vampire slayer on the planet.

Father Alexander Anderson -- Aaa~mennnnn!

Sir Integra Fairbrook Wingates Hellsing -- Fearless leader of the Hellsing Organization.

Walter C. Dornez -- Not your ordinary butler.

-----
Hunter X Hunter

Gon Freaks -- Main protagonist. Very accomplished Nen user for his age. Also defeated plenty of really tough bad guys. Don't make him angry.

Hisoka -- Don't let his appearance and demeanor fool you. He's as crazy violent as they come.

Killua Zoldyck -- Raised by a family of assassins. As if he wasn't already dangerous enough, then he learned Nen.

Kurapika -- Dedicated his life to avenging his clan. Went off a pretty deep end to achieve the power for inflicting said vengeance.

-----

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Dio Brando -- "Mada, mada, mada!"

Joseph Joestar (young) -- Oh, my god! (well, that's for old Joseph, but still funny). He was pretty fierce in his younger days, though.

Jōtarō Kūjō -- "Ora, ora, ora!"

-----

Jujutsu Kaisen

Satoru Gojō -- Relatively new to the scene. But watch episode 07, and you'll see why he's badass.

-----

One-Punch Man

Saitama -- Okay.

Genos -- Mr. Incinerator.

Metal Bat -- Nothing flashy. Just a guy with a metal baseball bat and a lot of grit.

Tatsumaki -- Psychic powers are not to be trifled with.

-----

Rurouni Kenshin

Hiko Seijūrō -- Kenshin's master.

Sagara Sanosuke -- Rooster head that runs on sheer will and brute force.

Saitō Hajime - Aku Soku Zan.

Shinomori Aoshi -- Okashira of the Oniwabanshuu. For the flower of "strongest."

Shishio Makoto -- If you're strong, you live. If you're weak, you die.

-----------------------------------

Don't worry. I took breaks while making this. But boy, am I tired.

Last edited by Tony K. on Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:28 am Reply with quote
Hikari14 wrote:
No one is ready to cast + 1 votes yet, I suppose.

I would prefer to cast once a complete list happens, although I know that it's not how things work lol. Also so far haven't seen any that I would vote against, does that mean I would give plus 1 to all?
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Beyond the Grave - Gungrave

Brandon Heat was a nice kid and a loyal friend. It was not until he died he became the ultimate badass, going after all those who menaced the person he protects.

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:24 am Reply with quote
Psycho101 is having some business to take care of in the real world, so I took the liberty to update the list of nominees in the meantime. I believe I got all the names and the correct total number added. But if anyone could double-check to make sure I didn't miss any.

EDIT: Thought of more, but don't have the time to find pics, yet. Here's a temporary list:

Darker than Black:
Hei -- Cold hearted Contractor with serous skills. Loves to eat.

-----

Ergo Proxy:
Re-L Mayer -- Basically a female Blade Runner.

-----
Fullmetal Alchemist:
Greed -- Practically indestructible. But he's also a little compassionate.

King Bradley -- The big baddie of FMA. Very skilled with a sword.

-----
Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo:

Edmond Dantes / The Count of Monte Cristo -- If anybody knows the story, you'll know the amount of shit and obstacles Edmond had to go through to exact his revenge. He and the story are classic for a reason.

-----

InuYasha:

Sesshoumaru -- The strong and silent type. He's basically a one-armed swordsman the entire series. And for a majority of that time, his sword can only heal things. How's that for a handicap?

-----

Mob Psycho 100:

Arataka Reigen -- The ultimate con artist. His words are pure punk-out perfection.

Shigeo "Mob" Kageyama -- Generally pretty laid back. But when he hits 100%..

-----

Mobile Suit Gundam Franchise:

Char Aznable -- Commander, pilot, and charismatic orator. The main antagonist of the UC timeline. He's so cool, a lot of other Gundam spinoffs have masked characters like him. Also voiced by the legendary Shūichi Ikeda.

-----

Monster:

Wolfgang Grimmer -- Easy going, for the most part. But he's a trained spy, survived Kinderheim 511, and has a really dark side behind that tragic smile: The Magnificent Steiner.

-----

Naruto: (Note: I haven't read or seen anything past the Sasuke Retrieval arc, so please feel free to nominate more characters I don't know about)

Gaara -- Pretty angry and angsty most of the time. But beware that sand, or he'll get 'ya.

Itachi Uchiha -- Murdered his whole clan. And anybody with a Sharingan is pretty much dangerous.

Jiraiya -- One of the Legendary Sannin. Master ninja, teacher of Naruto, and big pervert.

Kakashi Hatake -- Another master ninja with a Sharingan. But he's not a sociopath.

Naruto Uzumaki -- Main protagonist. Has the Nine-Tails Fox demon in him, but actually doesn't rely on it too much. Boruto's dad.

Sasuke Uchiha -- The ninja version of Vegeta (born into the profession, but the anti-hero/rival of main protagonist).

Shikamaru Nara -- Not much on physical prowess, but a master tactician.

Tsunade -- One of the other Legendary Sannin. Gargantuan strength and a bit of a tempter; a dangerous combination.

-----

Overlord:

Ains Ooal Gown -- Supreme overlord of the New World. Can't be beat (that we know of), commands an all-powerful army, and has a vast knowledge of things (or at least, he's pretty good at acting like it).

-----

Samurai Champloo:

Jin -- Can't have Mugen and not Jin. They are both pretty equal in skill.

-----

Trigun:

Vash the Stampede -- Avoids confrontation. But he's the Humanoid Typhoon and 60 Billion Double Dollar man for a reason.

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:38 am; edited 3 times in total
Hikari14

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:13 am Reply with quote
Do all characters who were nominated automatically make it in, or do they need a certain number of votes to make it in?
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:06 am Reply with quote
Finally edited my post to include pictures of my nominations

Space Adventure Cobra:
Cobra

With the legendary Pyschogun as his left arm, Cobra has the attitude and the skills to use it. He's also a capable brawler and has incredible levels of stamina and resilliance and oozes swagger in spades.

City Hunter:
Ryo Saeba

Former guerilla fighter and now gun for hire/bodyguard, Ryo is skilled with many firearms, favoring his Colt Python .357 Magnum. While he may appear rather goofy and moronic at first glance, he has the attitude and swagger to back up his skills when it's time to get the job done.

Umibōzu

Former enemy, now ally of Ryo, Umibōzu is skilled in demolition and heavy weapons. Built like a tank, he shrugs off gunshot wounds and injuries that would incapacitate or kill any normal person.

Last edited by Beltane70 on Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:16 pm Reply with quote
For starts Tony thank you. And screw you. You like posted half of my remaining list on your own lol. I gotta give definite extra props for Onizuka however. I was saving nominating him til the end as a sort of ace up the sleeve.

Hikari14 wrote:
Do all characters who were nominated automatically make it in, or do they need a certain number of votes to make it in?

No they don't automatically make it in. For starters each franchise is going to be limited to the top 3 characters. So you can nominate 20 from a show right now, but only the top 3 will make it in. UNLESS, we need the entire field of nominations to fill out the required amount of characters. If having 20 from one show gives us the amount we need then they would all make it in. If we're over the amount we need then it's time to whittle down the series with larger amounts of nominated characters. I initially have it set as just the top 3, but again if we need more (like say the top 5) to make the character quota then we'll use more than 3 from a franchise. That is the other reason for the voting and seeding. It helps knock out the weaker ones from shows with lots of nominations.

Make sense everyone?
Hikari14

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
For starts Tony thank you. And screw you. You like posted half of my remaining list on your own lol. I gotta give definite extra props for Onizuka however. I was saving nominating him til the end as a sort of ace up the sleeve.

Hikari14 wrote:

No they don't automatically make it in. For starters each franchise is going to be limited to the top 3 characters. So you can nominate 20 from a show right now, but only the top 3 will make it in. UNLESS, we need the entire field of nominations to fill out the required amount of characters. If having 20 from one show gives us the amount we need then they would all make it in. If we're over the amount we need then it's time to whittle down the series with larger amounts of nominated characters. I initially have it set as just the top 3, but again if we need more (like say the top 5) to make the character quota then we'll use more than 3 from a franchise. That is the other reason for the voting and seeding. It helps knock out the weaker ones from shows with lots of nominations.

Make sense everyone?

Then that means people should vote for those they want to be in?
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Filling in some obvious gaps and a couple new entries too

26) Tomoe Mami from Madoka Magica. As the oldest and most experienced of the magical girls in the show, Mami is not only extremely powerful but also has the confidence to put on a little show every time she fights. She might not have the same kind of gruff swagger as Dark Schneider or Kenshiro but she has a swagger and a style all her own.

27) Liavelt von Neuestein from Galaxy Fraulein Yuna. If this were simply a contest about which characters were the most powered up then the majority of the cast of this show would be contenders. But while ass-kicking power abounds the attitude generally does not. Not so with Lia. She plays a crime-fighting superheroine on TV, "Polylina the Masked Maiden". Yet Polylina is not just a TV character, she's a real. And at the same time she possesses another alter ego pictured above, Lia the Phoenix. Originally the leader of the 13 Frauliens of Darkness, she is now one of Yuna's strongest allies. Along with super strength and toughness, incredible dexterity and acrobatic skill, the ability to perform various energy attacks, outright teleportation, etc, she also has access to a whole host of Batman-esque high tech gizmos ranging from melee weapons to a spaceship. She is not only very powerful but also thought nothing of sacrificing herself to save her friends.

28) Treize Khushrenada from Gundam Wing. An accomplished mobile suit pilot with a strong sense of honor and tradition, Treize was also a skilled mobile suit designer having created both the Gundam Epyon and the Tallgeese III. But his attitude is where the real badassery is. Taken from TVtropes:
Quote:
In the final encounter between Wufei and Treize, Wufei breaks Treize's speech about the loss of civility and pomp in Mobile Doll warfare by asking him if he knows how many people have died for him. Treize retorts by giving Wufei an exact figure. And then commenting that he knows the names of every single one off the top of his head.

29) Sylia Stingray from Bubblegum Crisis. She's filthy rich, drives a gullwing Mercedes coupe, and is the ever stoic and fearless leader of the Knight Sabers. Priss may be the main muscle but Sylia is no slouch either as she dons her hardsuit and gets into the thick of combat too, and it was her who finally put Brian J Mason in his place on the roof of Genom tower. On top of all this she never fails to dress to impress.

30)Juzo Inui from No Guns Life. A wisecracking film-noir style detective with a gun for a head. I don't need to say any more than that.

Last edited by AkumaChef on Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I'll vote +1 for:
Lady Eboshi, Saito Hajime, Metal Bat, Genos, Alucard, Father Anderson, Integra Hellsing, Ekichi Onizuka, Jin (Samurai Champloo), Ryo Saeba, and Harlock.
Hikari14

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Since someone mentioned One Piece, I feel this guy deserves to be my final nomination.

Fisher Tiger from One Piece

Climbed a giant mountain and a wall? Check
No one could bring him down in a fair fight and so they had to resort to trickery? Check.
Smashed a canon with his bare hands and threw it with one hand for good measure? Check.
Was able to stand his ground against multiple attackers? Check
Survived multiple gunshots for a while? Check.
Chose to die over allowing himself to be indebted to those that ruined his life and the lives of his people? Check.
Refused to show weakness even on his death-bed? Check.
Inspired many people, including a young girl he saved, to pursue the dream he fought for? Check.

This character is a badass that surpasses all other badasses. Fight me on this. Anime smile
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, my one post with the 53 characters was just to help flood nominations.

I didn't participate in the last tournament and didn't know what the rules were. We definitely have over 128 characters at this point. So, now, it's just a matter listing those last-minute candidates and starting to build those initial brackets with votes.

EDIT: Added everyone submitted for nominations and counted what votes I could see. Please keep double-checking after I make these updates posts so we can make sure every one and thing is gets counted.

And I'm guessing we get up to 128 +1 votes to get said characters into brackets? I haven't seen all of these anime, but if it's just to build the brackets, I can do 128 if need be.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:23 am Reply with quote
So I'll say officially nominations are open through this Saturday. Sunday I will cut them off. From that point on it's a matter of voting to whittle it down to the desired number. When it comes to voting you can vote for, or against, any nomination. You can only do it once per character though. So no +5 votes to one, and -3 to another. Just either +1 or -1 to each person once. Now you don't have to vote for anyone or everyone. You can juts nominate if you want. As I said the voting simply helps to cut out the extra nominations, and with seeding purposes.

I figure we'll do a 126 character tournament. Anything over that is obviously what needs to be cut. Voting will be open for 1 more week starting this Sunday and running until Saturday morning next week. After that voting is cut off and I'll tally it all up next weekend. As for how many get in per show I am going to see where our exact number or participants is at by Sunday. That way I know how many need to be cut. Then after the voting period any franchise with more than 3 nominations will have the top 3 automatically make it in. The extra characters from those shows will be the first to be cut based on the amount of votes for or against each of them. That way any show with just 1 or 2 nominations can make sure their participants make it in. That's only fair so no show has 5 or 6 entrants while another has none.

Let's say for example we need to cut 12 people. There are 15 "extra" nominations from shows that already have 3 people that will be in it. All other nominations from shows would automatically make it in. I'd use that "extra" 15 to find the 12 nominations that need to be cut. That would be based on the amount of votes FOR them that they have. So in that scenario the 3 nominations from that 15 extra with the most votes would get in, and the remaining 12 would be those who get cut. So voting is important to determine that. If there is somehow a tie between characters in terms of votes that prevents this I'll do a 24 hour run off vote just for those extra characters.

There is ONE exception to this all. Any nominated character that has a negative vote total by the end of voting is automatically disqualified. So if someone had -2 votes in total then they're out. You gotta at least be at 0 votes to get in lol. I hope this makes it all clear for everyone. Smile

I'll make sure the list is edited and up to date tomorrow. I got more I wanna nominate myself lol. Though that list has been cut some more by the nominations from other people heh.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:25 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Don't have time today to write up reasons or post pictures, but I'd like to nominate the following characters:

Space Pirate Captain Harlock:
Harlock

Space Adventure Cobra:
Cobra

City Hunter:
Ryo Saeba
Umibōzu

I don't think that I've seen them on the list yet.

They have not been nominated yet, but the rules do state that you need to post your reasons for each nomination and a photo for reference. Unless you do that these nominations won't count. Sorry, but everyone has to follow that rule. Once you have time you can edit your post and add them. Once you do that the nominations will officially count and be added to the list. Thanks.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:39 am Reply with quote
Added pics to my other post above. Took out a couple of characters and adjusted the nominations rosters on Page 1.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10