• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
One Piece Manga Creator Eiichiro Oda: Story Is About 65% Finished

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:52 pm Reply with quote
65% is more believable than 70%. 70% would be too high at this point.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:27 pm Reply with quote
One Piece will never finish. Oda will be drawing on his deathbed. Laughing
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:16 am Reply with quote
Somewhere wrote:
Aside from that...
Ultimately, creators of big series in WSJ can still end whenever they want. Shueisha may want them to continue as much as possible, but the ultimate decision still lies with the creators. For recent examples, anybody think Shueisha weren't trying to get Assassination Classroom or Kuroko no Basuke to keep on going? Those ended while still on fire. Historically before that? Dragonball** and Slam Dunk ended on their terms despite still being close to 2010's One Piece level of superstardom.

**yes, yes, rumours abound on the internet of Toriyama forced to keep on writing more and more Dragonball. As Kanzenshuu notes, those rumours have never been substantiated.

Yeah, I read the interview. That was interesting. I thought there was a good compromise, that someone else would draw and write it and that he'd just check up on it sometimes.

And I suppose you're right. Those series did end on their own terms. It always felt like, narratively, Dragon Ball could've ended on some spots, and Toriyama had an editor who heavily favored the Frieza story and kept bugging him through the Cell story though.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
Depending on the translation, if Oda specifically said about 65% of the plot is complete that would mean he has an idea of how much story is remaining, but not how much CONTENT is remaining.

Oda could easily speed up progress in the remaining chapters so that the plot isn't stretched too thin. I really hope that's his plan.

That's what I'm guessing. I don't think most arcs will be as long as Dressrosa.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4