• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Worst case of censorship in an anime dub?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:22 am Reply with quote
sevensevens wrote:
I'm surprised no one mentioned Fox Kid's Escaflowne. Just off the top of my head - the first episode got completely axed and most of the music was replaced by techno snyth. Its been a while since I've seen the fox kids version (I try to block it out of my mind). I didn't really understand why they needed it edit it so heavily - they left some of the fight scene in (without the blood), but cut story!

I remember the heavy edits done to Escaflowne. The show was Fox Kids's attempt to find a popular anime title to follow off the coattails of Digimon which was popular enough in their programming at the time. Of course, both shows were geared for different audiences as Escaflowne had more intense content to it compared to Digimon. So, Escaflowne was heavily edited to make the show suitable for a younger audience. However, the show never took off in popularity as well as Digimon and about 12-13 episodes in the series, Fox Kids cancelled it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:28 am Reply with quote
Well, let's see Outlaw Star had a whole episode removed spoiler[although it was a hot springs episode that had Gene tasked with shooting a voyeuristic movie of a local priestess in order to get caster shells] and more famously the Tenchi Muyo OAV episode was highly cut in order to remove a scene where spoiler[Washu has robotic tentacles bind Tenchi to a table so that she can - in the manner of his choosing - collect a sperm sample] so amongst Toonami edits I'd say those were the most extreme, but perfectly understandable.

Hey, Kajishima got his start with the Spaceship Agga Rutter hentai OAV, so you kind of get what's coming.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Well, let's see Outlaw Star had a whole episode removed spoiler[although it was a hot springs episode that had Gene tasked with shooting a voyeuristic movie of a local priestess in order to get caster shells]

I remember that one. spoiler[Hot Springs Planet Tenrei. That was one of the funniest filler episodes in an anime I seen, especially as the comedy was much more slapstick than usual for an Outlaw Star episode.]

Quote:
more famously the Tenchi Muyo OAV episode was highly cut in order to remove a scene where spoiler[Washu has robotic tentacles bind Tenchi to a table so that she can - in the manner of his choosing - collect a sperm sample]

Another fun fact about that scene was that even in the uncut version of the episode, spoiler[Pioneer/ Geneon toned down on the dialogue for the English dub to remove Washu making some saucy suggestions to get the 'sample' she wants. Switch on English subtitles with English audio during that scene if you have the DVD for it and you'll be in for a fun comparison. Laughing ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:54 am Reply with quote
Oh believe me, I'm well aware. In Japanese, Washu offers him the climax of his choosing, whereas in English she merely teases him about not wanting her to stop until she finally announces "Let's shake the dew off this lily".

But hey, it's forgivable. You're hitting the wayback machine to when Tenchi was dubbed. Hells Bells, Pioneer offered the original licensed release on Laserdisc!
Xagor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
Well, let's see Outlaw Star had a whole episode removed spoiler[although it was a hot springs episode that had Gene tasked with shooting a voyeuristic movie of a local priestess in order to get caster shells] and more famously the Tenchi Muyo OAV episode was highly cut in order to remove a scene where spoiler[Washu has robotic tentacles bind Tenchi to a table so that she can - in the manner of his choosing - collect a sperm sample] so amongst Toonami edits I'd say those were the most extreme, but perfectly understandable.

Hey, Kajishima got his start with the Spaceship Agga Rutter hentai OAV, so you kind of get what's coming.

Somehow that episode of Outlaw Star managed to air uncut on Cartoon Network over here in the UK. Admittedly it was rather late at night when they aired Outlaw Star from what I can recall.
Kaolin_Yatsura

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Oh I so hate to be the one to say this, because I can already hear it coming. I'm not even going to bother to talk about the things censored out of the show, because well all of that has been said. The point I would like to make is how the actual goal audience and spirit of the show has been changed. That show is Naruto for who the biggest following in Japan was pre and teenage girls hardly the same audience it is being marketed to here. Having watched original releases of the show I can say with some confidence that even the uncut unedited dvd releases are not completely uncut or unedited. That being said that isn't really the point I'm trying to get across.

Censorship for the sake of marketing is not in and of itself the horrible monster we would all like to make it out to be. Most of the horrible edited and spliced up dubs were not enough to turn us away from anime. On the contrary it made us more curious about what the shows were really like and got us in some ways more interested in what was out there. I for one probably spent more on dvds simply because I wanted to watch a show in its original form. This sounds like an awful smart marketing ploy on the part of the distribution companies since they make relatively little money from the tv broadcasts.

What really bothers me is when the message of a show is changed in order to sell it to that younger audience to which "cartoons" can only be sold. Unfortunately the distribution companies hands are tied not only by the FCC which are national rules, but by the fact that marketing these shows to what at one point was a non-existant older audience simply doesn't bring returns. You simply cannot change the fact that until we grow up and get bigger and have jobs there won't be thirty forty plus age people interested in watching anime. So what can the distro companies do? They can market shows to younger fans who will consume the shows and merchandise and guess what those shows have to be something that parents will be alright with.

Unforunately most of us are going to have to accept that we are not a majority and being angry and bitter about that will only alienate people who we would hope to get interested and excited about what we love. Offering the olive branch is not "giving up" it's making a compromise. How do we get anime fans? We have people watch anime. How do we get people to watch anime? We allow them to be able to watch anime on tv for free or to be able to stumble upon them. How do you get it onto tv? By making it passable by FCC standards for the target time and audience you want the show aired for. Most of the reason that we have our love for anime is, because we saw it on tv. No ones parents are going to waste money on something that the kids don't already love or specifically ask for. It's because of those "annoying kids" that the distro company you've grown to begrudgingly like has made enough money to bring the more obscure titles to the shelves. So for now I guess be happy that all those people who you can't force into your room to watch "this totally awesome movie I found" are learning about anime and helping to keep alive the industry which many of us have watched come from literal almost non-existant obscurity to something which every one now has at least heard of.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Kaolin_Yatsura wrote:
Oh I so hate to be the one to say this, because I can already hear it coming. I'm not even going to bother to talk about the things censored out of the show, because well all of that has been said. The point I would like to make is how the actual goal audience and spirit of the show has been changed. That show is Naruto for who the biggest following in Japan was pre and teenage girls hardly the same audience it is being marketed to here. Having watched original releases of the show I can say with some confidence that even the uncut unedited dvd releases are not completely uncut or unedited. That being said that isn't really the point I'm trying to get across.

Care to explain this one to us? From what I understand, there hasn't been so much as a frame of animation cut from the Naruto boxsets. I don't know what your point about intended audiences is, either. Regardless of which demographic gave the show its highest ratings, it's a Shounen Jump property in every sense of the word, intended primarily for young teenage boys.
O-chan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Kaolin_Yatsura wrote:

Care to explain this one to us? From what I understand, there hasn't been so much as a frame of animation cut from the Naruto boxsets. I don't know what your point about intended audiences is, either. Regardless of which demographic gave the show its highest ratings, it's a Shounen Jump property in every sense of the word, intended primarily for young teenage boys.

Seriously? What are you smoking? Even if you were making some valid point you really picked the wrong anime and you are completely off about Naruto's fanbase aim.

Okay as far as my worst editing moments I'm going to say stuff like Dragonball Z, Sailor Moon, Pokemon, Yu-gi-Oh, Digimon, Robotech etc. have had their stupid, pointless, and confusing edits but I never thought they destroyed the core spirit of the show. They may have killed or underwhelmed a lot of key moments but I still feel they still felt like the same show in spirit, but there are three shows that are unredeemable in my mind:

Escaflowne- It was bad enough they skipped the first episode but completely destroying Yoko Kanno's perfect score was unforgivable. The dub "may" have been passable but it was hurt by miscating and just...gah!

Cardcaptors-"Let's make the secondary male the main character in a shojo anime and change the episode order to promote this concept." For an Ocean dub the casting could have been well done but the voice direction was really off for Sakura and Li. The Geneon dub showed what could have been.

One Piece-I have never felt that bad about 4kids anime until this one. Everything that could have gone wrong with this anime went wrong. And the music...I've never been a fan of 4kids music but at least Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh didn't ruin the atmosphere of the show. The 4kids One Piece BGM just made me want to scream bloody murder. THANK YOU FUNIMATION!

O-chan
Mai Yukino

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:43 am Reply with quote
In the release of G-Gundam, it was heavily censored when they decided to rename Gundams like Devil and God Gundam to Dark and Burning Gundam due to religious references for example for the Toonami version, I don't know why they didn't leave in the original names of the Gundams for the DVD releases of G-Gundam in the dub.
EricJ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:57 pm Reply with quote
O-chan wrote:
Cardcaptors-"Let's make the secondary male the main character in a shojo anime and change the episode order to promote this concept." For an Ocean dub the casting could have been well done but the voice direction was really off for Sakura and Li. The Geneon dub showed what could have been.

Oh, the US PC-izing of Cardcaptors... Rolling Eyes

Still remember one scene where Li accompanies Yukito and the girls to an amusement park, and is, of course, a little nervous to be going on a "date" with Yukito and trying to act "casual" about it--To the point that he's doing the stiff toy-soldier Ryouga-meets-Akane walk.
This was helpfully explained for stateside audiences by dubbing in one of the girls saying "Li's been showing off ever since he made the drill-march team at school..."

Confused
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe no one's mentioned Angel Cop!

Depending on how you want to slice it, Angel Cop may be considered among the BEST instances of censorship on an English appropriation; in any event, the entire show has a subplot going on where Jews (Jewish Americans? It escapes me...) want to buy Hokkaido and dump nuclear waste there. Why Hokkaido? Nobody knows. I mean, Antarctica would probably be easier, right? There's not even that much wildlife to ravage! But maybe that's really the issue; in the mind of Ichiro Itano, the ravaging of Japan is the goal of the evil Jewish shadow empire.

Kind of reminds me of Ninja Scroll and the Shadow Shogun. Maybe in Itano's next creation, it will be revealed that the Jews were also exiled from ancient Japan, thus leading to the events in the world of Angel Cop.

I guess revenge is a dish best served with cream cheese or hummus or something.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:31 pm Reply with quote
The change that always makes me laugh is when sailor neptune and sailor uranus were made into "cousins."
Gyari

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:49 pm Reply with quote
As a whole i dont know how edited pokemon was, but i remember there was an old episode that they cut parts out of. In the japanese version, James of team rocket (for no apparent reason) had a huge pair of boobs so he could sneak into a beauty contest or something.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:06 am Reply with quote
mai yukino wrote:
In the release of G-Gundam, it was heavily censored when they decided to rename Gundams like Devil and God Gundam to Dark and Burning Gundam due to religious references for example for the Toonami version, I don't know why they didn't leave in the original names of the Gundams for the DVD releases of G-Gundam in the dub.
Changing those names didn't really affect the story, though. Compared to a lot of other TV-edited anime discussed in this thread, G-Gundam got off pretty light. Actually, the worst thing about the G-Gundam dub is the NeverSayDie problem. So we wind up hearing lines like "I saw him take a life", "I didn't mean to take your life", "You might lose your life", "Perish!", "My wife was... erased", or "Stay alive." It becomes pretty funny after awhile. But then again, given the over-the-top, unintentionally-hilarious nature of the dub and the show itself, it doesn't really matter.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I know this one's been brought up before, but I still say the English version of CCS (aka-"Cardcaptors") is the worst thing writers and producers for english dubs can do.

Not that anything was censored in the usual sense, since it was very clean and non-violent to begin with. but the very notion that we need to skip episodes and switch around character traits in order to increase rating is just frustrating.
and why? so the male characters can get the spotlight instead. because they didn't have enough faith that a girl main character would sell as well. And even though I believe they dubbed every episode, WB only aired the ones that they thought had a enough action and Shaoran-ness to them.

Not to mention all of the "odd" pairings were dumbed down as well, which is to be expected and technically doesn't take away anything from the main plot. but, part of CCS's charm I think though, was its ability to make relationships that we would normally consider to be scandalous, into something pure and natural.

To their credit, they were just playing on the safe side, I know I've babysat quite a few boys who didn't care about the female characters in their cartoons, but I still think censoring girlish-ness as if to say that women and their problems aren't marketable or relatable, is just insulting.

the FoxKids edits of Escaflowne did something similar, but that's kind of an action show with mecha anyway, plus it didn't last long and had a cool opening. so i'll let that slide Anime hyper

maybe I'm just being to feministic and over-reacting, since Cardcaptors still focused on Sakura when it was important and pretty much all the merchandise was still based around her. but still...

woo. sorry for the rant there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5