• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Movie to Film This Year for 2008 Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:22 pm Reply with quote
ichiro3923 wrote:
I wonder how Justin Chatwin looks like so that I can compare if he looks like Goku. Also, I heard that Vegeta won't be in this movie, but I don't think Triple H should be Vegeta just because Triple H is like 6'5 and Vegeta is around 5'7.

I would've thought they would have at least casted WWE wrestlers because they're bulky enough. The Rock could've been Picolo

>.>;;;

After seeing that movie commercial for "The Invisible" over a million times, I figured it out, next to the fact The War of the Worlds is engraved in my mind.

I chose this picture because he actually looks old enough. >.>;

http://images.broadwayworld.com/upload/13719/l4.jpg

I first confused the guy for Vincent Kartheiser (Conner in "Angel") They kinda looked alike to me.
Bunk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:24 pm Reply with quote
ichiro3923 wrote:

I would've thought they would have at least casted WWE wrestlers because they're bulky enough. The Rock could've been Picolo

DITTO THAT! I was just thinking last night that The Rock would be a PERFECT young Piccolo. He's got the body, the height, and his face is youngish with finer features. And he's got that irritated eyebrow thing down. He'd be perfect and menacing. Agh. Wish they had gotten him.

Though I still stand by my opinion that James Marsters would be a great Demon King Piccolo. Hopefully it's the Demon King that'll be in the movie in that case.
Awaken

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:25 pm Reply with quote
James Marsters as Piccolo? Hmm I have to admit that would be kinda intersting. He'd make a way better Vegeta but ou well.

I probably will be hanged by my fellow DBZ fans but I kinda...sorta...hope that they revamp the story and kinda stay close to to the original but take a few liberties to give them some elbow room. DBZ isn't exactly an easy story to tell in live action without going completely insane budge wise (Flying, planet destroying laser beams, Giant freaking monkeys!!!)

I'm gonna go see it none the less and maybe pray that its good.
KnightSoul

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I kind of hope they do for this movie what they did for Transformers. That is, don't follow the source material to the letter, but take iconic characters and their personalities and use them in a new story that closely follows the original.

Fans wanted the movie to be made for G1 Transformers fans, period. That's not a good way to make money; you alienate anyone who's never seen the 80's cartoon. Same with the Spider-Man and X-Men movies. Cater to the fans, leave out the rest; shift it a little to let the average movie-goer enjoy it, piss off the fanbase. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

All they really have to do is take what made the characters memorable and use that. For example:

- Optimus Prime's heroism and leadership abilities
- Jazz's acculturation to Earth music
- Bumblebee's willingness to fight to protect
- Ironhide's hardheaded, trigger-happy nature
- Ratchet's medic designation
- Starscream's desire to backstab Megatron

Those are character traits that people remember from the old cartoon that were made sure made it into the film. On the other hand, the 80's cartoon didn't talk about an All Spark, or that Megatron had been frozen in ice for so many years or stuff like that. Those were changes that didn't subtract from the general idea of "We're here looking for an energy source and we'll protect the earth from the Decepticons while we're at it."

I'm going to be optimistic as long as they don't try to mimic the anime/manga style to the letter, because I doubt it can transfer well. If they make up their own story with respect to the mythology that's been laid down, they can make it work.
minakichan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Pffffffffft.

This is one of those things that I normally would not have an interest in (not really into Dragon Ball at all anymore), but for some inexplicable reason, I have a lot of hype and I. Can't. WAIT!

This will either suck or be awesome. Critics will definitely blast it into the ground, and I'm pretty sure the only people who will understand it are those who, you know, have actually SEEN Dragonball, but if Stephen Chow is in it, I am SO checking this out.
Celes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I did not think anything in the world would make me want to see this movie, but two words just changed my mind.

James. Marsters.

Squuuuuuuuuuuuueeeeeeee! He can definitely do evil, as he was the best villian in the Buffyverse. Not to mention he's freaking hot.

The guy playing Goku is a cutie too.
population_tire

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:51 pm Reply with quote
To paraphrase Otaku USA "Fans of the manga are never happy"
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Alright, we've got some names to this thing now, that's what I've been waiting for! Awesome. Cool

Well I don't know much about the guy they've got as a director, although I did indeed see Final Destination and the X-Files movie, not half bad movies if I do say so myself. Stephen Chow producing though is definitely a MAJOR plus!! Anime hyper I don't care if he's producing instead of directing. He's still involved, and that's all that matters. I mean, in a way, as a producer, doesn't he sort of have authority over the director?

Didn't know much about the guy who's gonna play Goku (couldn't put a face to him from War of the Worlds for some reason) but after that picture someone posted earlier, I'm convinced he'll make a great Goku! Smile And am I the only one here that thinks James Marsters would make a pretty darn good Piccolo? I certainly agree with the notion that he'd make an even better Vegita, but c'mon, I could still see a lot of Piccolo there!

As for the plot, after much reading of posts here as well as based on what was said in the news article, it sounds to me they'll start off with a few things from earlier in Dragonball (Goku and Krillin already have faught in the Tenkaichi Budokai before the movie, meaning they'll already know Tien when he plays his part in the King Piccolo story, both training under Muten Roshi when Bulma runs into them while looking for Dragonballs, Goku will already have the Kinto-un, then on their departure they run into Yamcha in the desert), then they'll start introducing Piccolo as the villain they need to defeat and so on and so fourth from the King Piccolo arc. I think saving the Tenkaichi Budokai where Goku fights Piccolo would make more sense being put at the start of the next movie than anything else.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:58 pm Reply with quote
KnightSoul wrote:
I kind of hope they do for this movie what they did for Transformers. That is, don't follow the source material to the letter, but take iconic characters and their personalities and use them in a new story that closely follows the original.

And we end up with a POS storyline where the camera focuses on some slut's behind for 85% of the movie, add maybe 14% explosions, and gives 1% of the film to the bots themselves.

Personally, I have alot of faith in Chow than Bay. Bay claims he's a Transformer fan: So why did he regulate the bots to bit roles in the film? They focused more on the humans rather than the bots themselves. Plus the hallmark of every Bay film has to include a healthy dose of explosions.

If Chow is a true DB fan, I hope he can combine his filmmaking abilities while incorporating the best of the manga (No cheesy BS from the Anime) and give something both the fans and the public can watch.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Why assume there will be a second movie? If they save all the 'good stuff' (see what I did there...) for a different movie then what will they have to make this movie any good?
Prodigy_child

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Yes BrothersElric! As producer, Stephen Chow does have power over the director, which is fantastic. It gives me a little more confidence that we have someone like him participating in this project. And I didn't have any hope before. Though I wished he was director too. Cause that would have been even better.

I've never seen Justin Chatwin act in anything, so I won't make any comments. Besides bulking up a bit. Looks-wise, we'll see after whatever changes they put him through physically for the role.

But James Marsters! I'd never expect him to land a role/participate in the Dragonball live-action. Ever. He's a great actor. I loved him as Spike in Buffy/Angel. He was a great villain and I loved his character's wit. I could definitely see him take on Piccolo.

I'm glad we're not seeing any of those popular and bad actors out there. Hope this goes well. Though I'm hoping they have some Asian actors, though not necessarily Japanese, though they could.

Last edited by Prodigy_child on Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:11 pm Reply with quote
hey guys, if you think about it, I didn't know this guy name (chadwick), I saw the invisible, but he's pretty much the mold for what japanese animation consider a "main hero"

look at him, you can put him as Kamui for X, Saint seiya as Seiya, he can be even freaking KIBA of wolf rain, I mean what else? you can put him on the lead of Initial d too, he has the features that japanese animation has been putting up for years, even RYU from street fighter sometimes look like superman, so yeah, this guy can even be ryu.

as long as zac effron is not Goku, is all right in the world....
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:18 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
Why assume there will be a second movie? If they save all the 'good stuff' (see what I did there...) for a different movie then what will they have to make this movie any good?

Well we don't necessarily know that there's not going to be one, now do we? Wink

But in all honesty, I'm not sure you could include everything in the world of Dragonball that needs to be included unless you do at least 2 or 3 movies, maybe even 4 or 5 if you do the Cell or Buu sagas. Of course it needs to do well enough to get the sequils. But if you handle it well enough, as it's really starting to look like it will, plus with the fanbase that's already there and the potential for others who don't know much about it to watch and love it if it's handled correctly, then it may very well indeed get the support for the sequils I'm sure it'll need.
KnightSoul

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:14 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Hon'ya-chan]Bay claims he's a Transformer fan: So why did he regulate the bots to bit roles in the film? They focused more on the humans rather than the bots themselves. Plus the hallmark of every Bay film has to include a healthy dose of explosions.
[/quote]
Financial restraints. Making those big 'bots move costs a lot of money per frame.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:22 pm Reply with quote
If the Matrix crew could shoot a war where robots take up a big chunk of the film in Revolutions, Bay could've done Transformers that way for the same money.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6