• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2024 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 11:25 pm Reply with quote
There is literally no such thing as an objective review. All art is subjective. There can be reviews you dislike, or reviews you don't agree with, but there is no way to review something "wrong". Unless you screw up posting the wrong thing in the wrong box and end up posting something entirely unrelated, like a review of something else entirely.

...and even that, if you want to get artsy-fartsy, could be considered an absurdist take on a review.

Anyway this discussion in and of itself is stupid. I can't believe I liked Suicide Squad when I was so positive it would be horrible when it was announced. Like Rebecca, I think Harley looked crazy young, but I guess being caked in makeup hides signs of aging well! Laughing
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 1:54 am Reply with quote
Suicide Squad Isekai was better than I expected, though I wasn't expecting much. DC animated stuff is usually good though, so I guess it shouldn't be too much of a shock. Surprised that they didn't have a dub ready to go though. I agree with @residentgrigo that it seems a bit tame, especially for it's rating. I wonder if the dub will censor the language...
I suppose this could be just a different version than previously animated ones, but a bomb being in his neck doesn't seem like it'd be a an issue for Clayface...

Last edited by Covnam on Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bertram

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 3:15 am Reply with quote
The fact Mori Calliope lives rent free in some people's heads and causes them so much anguish will never not be funny to me.
Flü

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:21 am Reply with quote
Bertram wrote:
The fact Mori Calliope lives rent free in some people's heads and causes them so much anguish will never not be funny to me.

100%. She has done some weak and cringe songs, but this is definitely not one of them (Giga and TeddyLoid sure help).
At this point it feels less like disliking the indidivual track and more like personal hateboners or seething at another weeb "making it".
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:17 am Reply with quote
CrypticPurpose wrote:
:sigh:

Whenever I read these things, I always get the distinct impression that, outside of the one or two subgenres each reviewer likes to the point it can do no wrong, everyone seriously hates 95% of all anime from the past three decades, and takes a distinct pride in making that contempt as clear as humanly possible.

Sure, we've all seen thousands of anime over a span of decades, so it can be a little hard to muster much enthusiasm about reviewing the latest iteration of a concept done to death, but there is a difference between making an attempt at an objective evaluation of something you are bored by, and literally dripping disgust all over the screen while clawing at every issue you have with an entire genre that you feel you can expand into a paragraph.

Sure, Maougun Saikyou has so far done nothing that hasn't been done before, but no one is going to watch it expecting anything of the sort. It's a basic fantasy power-fantasy series, and makes no attempt to hide that. And, for what it is, it's perfectly fine. It doesn't do anything to elevate itself, but it doesn't do anything significantly wrong, either. It's a classic example of a Big Mac series - you know exactly what you are going to get. Attacking it for being exactly what it is supposed to be just seems petty. Especially after one episode.

And Pre-Cure has been going through the same motions for 20 years now, and I know for a fact some of you jump onto each new iteration like an addict in withdrawal into a mountain of white powder.

If you're going to hate a series from the moment you read the title, knowing you hate the entire category of anime it exists in, you are not qualified to review it - specially when you don't even try to hide it. When the entire review can be replaced with "SSDD, FML", everyone is better off with it not existing in the first place. I know, you are obligated to write it because it is your job, but also, it is your job, so be professional? Reading those impressions are seconds of my life I will never get back, and there wasn't a single line of value in the whole lot. A poop emoji would have been a significant improvement.

I really don't even know why I even bother coming here anymore...

I actually really like that the preview guide can easily tell me, which anime isn't for me, until it's very much my preferred genre/guilty pleasure, to the point I don't even care that much about quality of it, as long as it's more of the same and not very awful. Which is exactly how most of the previews described it - it's predictable, cliched and boring, and visual quality is not great, so check it out only if it's already the kind of story you enjoy. Nothing unprofessional about it.

We only have to look for recent preview of "The wrong way to use Healing Magic" to see that reviewers can still appreciate standard stories, if done well. The problem is that recently we not only have more anime series each season than we used to, but also the quality of many of them is quite horrible, or mediocre at best.

I noticed that with isekai and other Narou LN's adaptations, but also with adaptations of more niche manga series, that a lot of time if the the original manga isn't very popular, and almost every time if the source material is LN from Narou that's popular on Narou, already got manga, but is very far from popularity of stuff like MT or Re:Zero, it gets at best workmanlike approach and at worst ugly powerpoint slides. We got that with Ragna Crimson and "Witch and the Beast", absolute trash animation with "Girl and Guard Dog", but also LN's like "My Daughter Left the Nest", which I liked but it was barely watchable.

With isekai and other Narou LN's popularity that means we get several anime with trite story made mostly for the fans of that story's Narou genre, with mediocre or worse visual quality, that can only appeal to people who are into it, just like with Big Mac lovers in your example. And it's absolutely fine for reviewer to say that Big Mac dish is pretty bad, unless you love fast food.

We have plenty of enthusiastic previews every season, you can wait until the end of preview for the poster that makes a nice graph of them, but it's also not uncommon for first few days to have nothing but mediocre shows, and appropriately mediocre reviews, just because that's how the timeline ended up.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:07 am Reply with quote
Well, Suicide Squad ended up being a lot better than I could have hoped for. It is no masterpiece but it is a very entertaining time with lots of jokes, action and a fresh feeling isekai situation. The animation can be a bit uneven and the story is pretty bare but just having a fun isekai offering something fresh is already plenty for me.
Dayraven

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
it's also not uncommon for first few days to have nothing but mediocre shows, and appropriately mediocre reviews, just because that's how the timeline ended up.

Also, the reviewers are, between them, trying everything available, which generally means spotting more mediocre or not-for-them stuff than someone who’s going for stuff that looks interesting to them.
OpenYourEels4TheNextFeels

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't know if I buy the whole “Amanda Waller thinks it's a good idea to invade another world for water and natural resources” bit (it sounds like some BS Flag made up)

I may not buy Waller thinking it's a good idea to invade another world for water and natural resources, but I do buy someone in the US government thinking it's a good idea to invade another world for water and natural resources, and The Wall unquestioningly carrying out the plan.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:31 am Reply with quote
Flü wrote:
Bertram wrote:

100%. She has done some weak and cringe songs, but this is definitely not one of them (Giga and TeddyLoid sure help).
At this point it feels less like disliking the indidivual track and more like personal hateboners or seething at another weeb "making it".

None of the reviewers nor anyone in this thread have said anything about the artist at all, just that they don't like the ED and/or it's visuals. Stop trying to drum up imaginary drama. Rolling Eyes
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Flü wrote:
Bertram wrote:

None of the reviewers nor anyone in this thread have said anything about the artist at all, just that they don't like the ED and/or it's visuals. Stop trying to drum up imaginary drama. Rolling Eyes

Except in this case it is actually about the artist. A surprising number of people actively loathe her (primarily on the western side) and sometimes it genuinely feels personal.

I'm indifferent to it all myself and am not interested in getting involved in a day long debate over 90 seconds of mori calliope music for a suicide squad anime, but I've observed a good bit of vitriol firsthand.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I simply disliked the visuals. The song didn't do much for me one way or the other.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I'd say Mori was one of the less problems with the song. Like, her flow is pretty weak and her voice doesn't really deliver the energy it's trying for, but that's tertiary compared to how awful the beat is. Legit some of the worst I've heard out of Teddyloid in a while.
Eilavel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 2:44 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Except in this case it is actually about the artist. A surprising number of people actively loathe her (primarily on the western side) and sometimes it genuinely feels personal.

I'm indifferent to it all myself and am not interested in getting involved in a day long debate over 90 seconds of mori calliope music for a suicide squad anime, but I've observed a good bit of vitriol firsthand.

You may have heard such things somewhere. But you didn't hear anything like that here, and its certainly not present in the reviews. The internet is full of haters so I don't doubt you, but rest assured its also full of people with no idea who this is. So take your complaints to where you heard what you don't like- its got nothing to do with the discussion here!

Suicide Squad was better than I expected. The design work did enough for me over the animation, its got good pacing, actually reasonable world building and politics. Promise of being the best isekai of the season, however you value that title. However; its not really funny, which is unfortunate.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Everything from Marvel Future Avengers and X-Men to Batman Ninja and Witchblade has been disappointing
Batman Ninja was peak fiction. Your ancestors weep at your folly.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 4:20 pm Reply with quote
OpenYourEels4TheNextFeels wrote:
Quote:
I don't know if I buy the whole “Amanda Waller thinks it's a good idea to invade another world for water and natural resources” bit (it sounds like some BS Flag made up)

I may not buy Waller thinking it's a good idea to invade another world for water and natural resources, but I do buy someone in the US government thinking it's a good idea to invade another world for water and natural resources, and The Wall unquestioningly carrying out the plan.

Amanda Waller and her Justice League didn't seem to be the good guys in "Black Adam".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5