• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
One Piece Manga Creator Eiichiro Oda: Story Is About 65% Finished

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:22 am Reply with quote
Well you had to figure that when he said the timeskip was the halfway point, which was around volume 60-61, then you have to figure that there will be another 60 volumes or so. Oda's problem is he loaded up the series so much with all these unanswered questions and the fans just clamming for more, and Oda himself is getting carried away sometimes. Dressrosa is the perfect example of that and drew the series out more than it should have. It probably did extend the run of the series by a year or two.

But hey, even with all that I just hope that he can make it through without any serious repercussions to his already bad health. Oda already will be in the league of those like Watsuki, Toriyama, and Togashi when he's done with One Piece. Just let your opus do the talking.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ulinox

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:49 am Reply with quote
LIES! One Piece will NEVER finish!
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:10 am Reply with quote
Ulinox wrote:

Old stories must eventually end so that new stories can be born. Otherwise, things get stale and stagnate.
lLuffyl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:24 am Reply with quote
Just because Dressrosa and Punk Hazard only moved 5% of the story doesn't mean it's going to last another 28 years. I think most people realize that the story is about to explode. We're hitting the yonkou, and it's most likely going to transition very quickly between them all. There's most likely going to be a lot of information at a much faster pace. I feel maybe 10 years maximum is a good estimate. 28 years, you're just being crazy now.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:26 am Reply with quote
That math, oh boy. I lost interest after the time jump and stopped shorty after ch. 800, despite reading since 2001. My math gave me around 128 volumes total. Toei must be happy too.
You milk that cow dead SJ.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:42 am Reply with quote
If the next arc is going to be as long as the dressrosa arc then no thanks. I think I'll be done with the series.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:20 am Reply with quote
So at the current pace it will most likely end in 2044
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:42 pm Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
That just means we still have a lot to look forward to... I just hope I'm still alive when One Piece ends, lol.

I repeat that to myself everytime a New chapter of Hunter X Hunter and Berserk come out.We should just be thankful that Oda is not like Togashi and Miura...
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I find it weird that we don't have more evergreen shonen action titles (although I realize there are a handful already). You'd think there'd be a bigger market for something like that in Japan.

Ulinox wrote:

HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Just want to point out to anyone that is noting the "5% in 4 years" concept. One Piece STARTED in 1997 (ie. LESS than 20 years ago), so Oda has covered 65% in 19 years. There's only 3 reasons for Oda to really drag it out:
1. For money (Oda already has a TON of money now, dude can easily retire if he wants, TODAY)
2. He just enjoys it and chooses to meander (in theory, this shouldn't be bad because if he ENJOYS it, he should do good work, but I guess we'll see)
3. Chapters keep getting more and more delayed due to health (this can make it take longer, but IF this happens, Oda should be motivated to make the story SHORTER to protect himself)

Reasons to NOT drag it out:
-Spend time with family (wife & kids)
-His health
-Just generally do other things

The one wild card is that Shueisha may push him to keep it running as long as it is still popular, but again, IF he really WANTS to end it, Oda has the money and clout to do it now if he really wants to.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:38 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
I'm curious why so many people are focused on "5% in 4 years" rather than the "65% complete". The math done by jeromeskee based on the latter comes out close to the 10 year mark.

In my experience, later estimates are more likely to be more accurate than earlier ones (e.g., the "about 60% complete" 4 years ago), and around 10 years is certainly more realistic than 28.

I don't think those 28-year estimates are to be taken seriously, but just a comedic hyperbole poking fun at One Piece's length.

HeeroTX wrote:
The one wild card is that Shueisha may push him to keep it running as long as it is still popular, but again, IF he really WANTS to end it, Oda has the money and clout to do it now if he really wants to.

Masashi Kishimoto kept on getting pressured to continue Naruto, which led to his cry to allow him to take a break. If anything, HE has a lot of money and clout, but even he had to eventually give in and create Boruto, albeit letting someone else draw it and him just checking on it here and there.
s0nicfreak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:43 pm Reply with quote
SageModeKakarot wrote:

HOLD ON that means i would be over 60 when it finishes

come on Oda the way this is going i'm gonna be sitting in my old folks home waiting for One Piece to end

You planing to get Early Onset Alzheimer's or something? Because most people aren't in old folks' homes in their 60s. Most people don't even retire until somewhere between the age of 62 - 66.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I looked it up One Piece is the 3rd biggest comic ever and "only" sold 80 mil. copies less than Batman, who is the 2nd bestselling comic. 380 vs 460-ish. It will beat him within this decade, due to the recent sales explosion. Superman is the champion @ 600+ mil.
One Piece is only 19 years old and "only" behind the 2 Golden Age Giants, who used to be official WW2 propaganda. This growth is unprecedented in the comic world! I wonder how the Hollywood version will look like...
@BodaciousSpacePirate +1 Morrison for life.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:26 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Masashi Kishimoto kept on getting pressured to continue Naruto, which led to his cry to allow him to take a break. If anything, HE has a lot of money and clout, but even he had to eventually give in and create Boruto, albeit letting someone else draw it and him just checking on it here and there.

Yeah, but:
In Japan, One Piece is bigger than Naruto ever was. I'm certain Oda is NOT this way, but if Oda WANTS to walk away from One Piece, he really is at a "F' you" level now. If One Piece SOMEHOW maintains it's popularity for the closing 35%, I have zero doubt that Oda could tell Shueisha that he'll do One Piece shorts 1-2 months a year and they'd take it. I think Bakuman is a good indication of how many mangaka don't want the editors telling them to ARTIFICIALLY extend their stories. (Ideally, everyone wants as much time as they need to tell their story, and "exceptions" like Kubo (IMO) just want to maintain their career)

If Oda really and truly has no desire to do another "long" series after One Piece (and who could blame him on that) then really, the only reason to worry about the "relationship" with Shueisha is just the Japanese work-ethic/culture. I'm saying there's really nothing Shueisha could do to "force" him at this point.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Interestingly enough, in the interview Kishi (and long time assistant Ikemoto Mikio*, who is now the artist of Boruto) had with English WSJ that was published in last week's issue, the genesis of Boruto was put in a rather different light.

- as Naruto was coming to an end, they (Kishi & Ikemoto) have talked about how cool it would be if the series was rebooted and drawn by a new guy, a la America comics.
- the idea was bounced around for 6 months to a year. Ikemoto's sentiment was that if it were a sequel, then Kishimoto should do it.
- Ikemoto comments on how if it's a sequel, you're bound to what came before. He likes how with a reboot, you have way more freedom and nobody can complain.
- when Ikemoto actually got the story, it turned out to be a sequel anyway. And he was in too deep to back out now *insert laugh*
- when Naruto ended, Shueisha asked Kishi if he was interested in continuing the story. Kishi had already did everything he wanted to do with the story, so he wasn't up for it. It was basically a case of 'nah, no thanks. But if you really want a sequel, then I'll be fine with Mikio drawing it'.

My interpretation of it is basically: Kishi didn't want to do it, then the lightbulb came on and he went 'hmm, this could be good step forward for my longtime assistant'. Good looking out, Kishi.

*Ikemoto started working for Kishi at around chapter 7, according to him. Also, he designed Zabuza and Haku

Aside from that...
Ultimately, creators of big series in WSJ can still end whenever they want. Shueisha may want them to continue as much as possible, but the ultimate decision still lies with the creators. For recent examples, anybody think Shueisha weren't trying to get Assassination Classroom or Kuroko no Basuke to keep on going? Those ended while still on fire. Historically before that? Dragonball** and Slam Dunk ended on their terms despite still being close to 2010's One Piece level of superstardom.

**yes, yes, rumours abound on the internet of Toriyama forced to keep on writing more and more Dragonball. As Kanzenshuu notes, those rumours have never been substantiated.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4