• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2024 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
As for Failure Frame, I seem to need a total trash title or two on my viewing list every season (it inevitably happens, whether I intend to avoid them or not), and this might fit the bill.

Might I humbly suggest you check out the nifty Tasūketsu if you haven't already? It's a lovely experience.
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:59 pm Reply with quote
2.5 Dimensional Seduction- I'll add my voice to the chorus of people saying the series gets much better as it goes along. Okumura is very over-the-top in the early chapters of the manga, and there are plenty of the usual romcom tropes.

BUT he does start to grow and develop as the series progresses and more characters, especially 3D girls, get added to the cast.

The anime won't get to it in this season, but volume 9 of the manga has a scene between Okumura and another character that is one of the most honest discussions I've seen in manga about romance and falling in love. The kind of advice that would apply to real life, not just romcom situations. It's quite well done and is evidence of how far he has come as a character since chapter 1.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 12:13 am Reply with quote
InfiniteNothingness wrote:
Key wrote:
As for Failure Frame, I seem to need a total trash title or two on my viewing list every season (it inevitably happens, whether I intend to avoid them or not), and this might fit the bill.

Might I humbly suggest you check out the nifty Tasūketsu if you haven't already? It's a lovely experience.

Oh, I still preview everything every season; I just do most of the writing about them for my blog and only comment here about select titles when I'm caught up there.

So yes, I have checked out Tasūketsu, and both my grade and reaction to it is in line with the staff average. That one strikes me more as just crass than truly trashy, and it doesn't have a (non-loli-vampire) sexy elf, so I'm still leaning more towards FF for the "complete trash" slot. Still, I'll give Tasūketsu one more episode because I'm a little curious about how much of a bait-and-switch (if any) the first episode's ending was.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Daerian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 12:29 am Reply with quote
Akcoll99 wrote:

BUT he does start to grow and develop as the series progresses and more characters, especially 3D girls, get added to the cast.

The question I want to ask is, how long will it take for him to start showing growth?
Because I find him unfortunately unbearable at this point and it's very hard to invest myself into watching the story with promise of it getting better in the future when I need to watch him being well, himself, at this point.

It's honest question about timeframe to make decision if I'm able to stomach him for that long, not trying to be sarcastic, to clarify and avoid misunderstanding.
Chipp12

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 1:16 am Reply with quote
Returning to 2.5 Dimensional Seduction I've finally decided to check up reviews and seems like some reviewers got offended by the protagonist badmouthing shoujo manga. Except that he didn't really. The actual translation of that line would sound more like "Yeah, I bet she's only into shoujo stuff!" (in this context it's closer to him believing that she's only into vanilla/pure romance things instead of trying to insult shoujo manga and people reading it).
And I'm pretty sure there were other times where the official translation made him sound more hateful/insulting compared to what was actually said.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 1:50 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
So yes, I have checked out Tasūketsu, and both my grade and reaction to it is in line with the staff average. That one strikes me more as just crass than truly trashy, and it doesn't have a (non-loli-vampire) sexy elf, so I'm still leaning more towards FF for the "complete trash" slot. Still, I'll give Tasūketsu one more episode because I'm a little curious about how much of a bait-and-switch (if any) the first episode's ending was.

Tasūketsu feels like watching a speedrun of a death game, and speedruns don't really allow for enjoyment of the story. I'm almost sure the ending is a fake-out, because the OP shows off several male characters that haven't been introduced yet.
Daerian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 2:27 am Reply with quote
Chipp12 wrote:
And I'm pretty sure there were other times where the official translation made him sound more hateful/insulting compared to what was actually said.

You should take into consideration that Japanese as language doesn't really do expletives or offensive words, so these will not be in the original text pretty much ever.
However, the literal translation of the phrases will sound much nicer to the western audience than intended by authors, sometimes even losing rude/offensive connotations phrase was intended to have in Japanese. Because of that, translators add rude words to the text in order to keep for the western viewers the same level of "rudeness" as original text had for Japanese audience.

I must note that I don't personally speak Japanese, I'm going by discussions/essays on this topic made by people in the industry and what I know from my personal connections.
kgw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 3:17 am Reply with quote
Daerian wrote:
The question I want to ask is, how long will it take for him to start showing growth?
Because I find him unfortunately unbearable at this point and it's very hard to invest myself into watching the story with promise of it getting better in the future when I need to watch him being well, himself, at this point.

That's a good question. And the answer is... none of us really know? Confused
From the cast and the illustrations, they'll reach some "advanced" parts of the story, where all the characters in the promo art will appear. But there is no way of knowing how many episodes it will take.

spoiler[In the manga, things start changing in the first Comiket, and when Okumura enters more into a photographer/manager role of Lilisa and the rest, a more secondary one.]

Also, yes, Japanese is a language with its own character for insults and deprecation; after all , the "stronger" insults are some variations of "you". So, no, Okumura wasn't wasn't saying "crap", but in translation sometimes we feel the need of "humanize" the script, to something relatable to what a real human being (in our countries) would say in the same situation.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 4:11 am Reply with quote
Hearing that 2.5D gets a lot better but takes a bit of time to get there makes me feel so conflicted. There have been plenty of shows where it takes a while for things to get better/going. The question then is indeed how long it will take to get good and a few lesser episodes I can manage...but if the majority of the first season is just okay and the good stuff comes after that it gets tricky.

The first episode of Dungeon People was a solid start. The show has plenty of charm to it and it looks like there is a lot to manage in order to make the dungeon function properly. I am especially curious about why the monsters from the demon world would sign up for a job in which they get killed, I assume they get respawned though in that case I hope that the pay is good for getting repeatedly slaughtered.

Quality Assurance in Another World is the second pleasant surprise for me this season after I Parry. At first it seemed like a relatively normal fantasy adventure yet the end really sold me on the premise. Having to file bug reports is one thing, when said bug reports means seeing innocent people/code? die over and over is another. I have so many questions in regards to the setting and whatever happened to mc's colleagues in that they have been removed/killed.

The whole also thing makes me think back to Deca-Dence which was great

As for the first episode of My Deer Friend: the first episode was indeed in line with what was shown in the trailers: completely over the top in every way possible with lots of silly gags and absurd situations. The show is no masterpiece but it is amusing enough and it is hard to predict in what crazy direction they will go next. Most of the gags got a laugh or at least a chuckle out of me so I will keep watching.
Daerian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 6:24 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
Stuff Wink

Thank you a lot for answering my question!
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 7:13 am Reply with quote
I really wanted to hate Quality Assurance---first, for its X in an Isekai-style name, and, second, because I loathe the "digital world" trope, and almost always much prefer just straight-up earnest fantasy. I failed, though; damn if I wasn't enjoying myself by the end. Execution really trumps everything.

One Punch Parry I'm kind of 50/50 on. Episode 1 was entertaining enough, but if every fight is ended as easily as that one, the gag will get stale, I think. Still, going to give it a chance.

Senpai is an Otokonoko was delightful. I'm not particularly into LGBTQ romance shows---it's cool they're being made, but they don't usually click with me. This one feels like an exception, though; I love the chemistry between the leads, and how forthright the story is about both placing senpai's dressing as a woman front and center from the beginning, and about his/her kouhai's romantic interest. Not tapdancing around both of those things goes a long way for me, I suppose. Twilight out of Focus, on the other hand, I gave a shot as well, but didn't make it more than halfway through the premiere.

That said, so far, Oshi no Ko's the only thing I've seen this season that I'm 1000% sold on. After that, I've got a few decent second-tier titles (QA, Parry, Senpai, Alya) that I have varying levels of expectation for, and one trashier-but-so-far-watchable title I expect to enjoy less and less as its tropes kick in more fully (Failure Frame).
ab2143

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 9:18 am Reply with quote
Re: Dahlia in Bloom

Quote:
I found that the remaining fourth and the entire second novel wandered away from the plot in service of endless descriptions of food and drink

Hopefully the anime does things differently? I’ve just started reading the novel and noticed that the first episode is different to the novel’s opening?
musouka

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 9:20 am Reply with quote
I’m confused. Does Okumura get better (stops denigrating series aimed at girls and/or how many of them choose to do fandom because he grows to understand that’s a shitty thing to do) or does he get less screen time? Because those are two very, very different things.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 9:23 am Reply with quote
Dahlia in Bloom:
The source novels are some of my favorites (I've read all ten in Japanese, all three volumes of the spin-off, and the short story collection) and I'm really baffled by the decision to start with at least two whole episode patching together bits of backstory the novels deal out over time.

Why would you not start at the actual beginning? The novels take a classic start point and immediately subvert it, giving you a clear hook and showing exactly what they're doing different. I wouldn't go so far as to say this felt more generic, but it's so far removed from the actual tone of the books that it's just not very useful to determine what the real series will be like once they finally get to where they should have started.

Rebecca calls it a faithful adaption, but how can it be when it's not even starting at the right place? (I've also gotta disagree with her take on the second novel, a hilarious send-up of the whole fantasy genre, arguing that fighting monsters would be terrible for your feet and they'd need a whole industry devoted to treatment.)
Chipp12

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 10:07 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
Also, yes, Japanese is a language with its own character for insults and deprecation; after all , the "stronger" insults are some variations of "you". So, no, Okumura wasn't wasn't saying "crap", but in translation sometimes we feel the need of "humanize" the script, to something relatable to what a real human being (in our countries) would say in the same situation.

I'm still not sure how turning situation from neutral to negative makes up for "humanizing" the script especially when it leads to misunderstanding (like with musouka above). And I've already tried to explain in my previous post why his statement wasn't an attempt to slander shoujo genre.

Last edited by Chipp12 on Sat Jul 06, 2024 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 22