• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Project A-Ko

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stupid Dufus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:19 pm Reply with quote
This was the first anime I ever watched knowing beforehand it was anime. Or "Japanimation" as the video rental's store labeled it.

Sure, I'd seen some things like Voltron, Noozles and other things on TV, but I never realized they were from Japan at the time.

I enjoyed Project A-ko a lot at first, but my enjoyment grew with each re-watch as my knowledge of other anime grew (and in turn the references made in the film).

And it's still one of the few anime I prefer to watched dubbed to this day.
Mune

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:48 pm Reply with quote
RetroCrush doesn't exactly have the accessibility that would appeal to me- no desktop or console app is a no go. Though, the classic anime is nice, but I feel like the selection is fairly limited. Has anyone used RetroCrush? How is the quality and anime selection?

Project A-Ko definitely brings back memories, though it leaves a lot to speculate about. Where does her strength come from? How did C-Kospoiler[ come to live on Earth?] Which anime/show was the transforming robot a reference to, where they couldn't reach the controls? I originally watched it on VHS nearly 20-25 years ago by renting it at Blockbuster.
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Mune wrote:
RetroCrush doesn't exactly have the accessibility that would appeal to me- no desktop or console app is a no go. Though, the classic anime is nice, but I feel like the selection is fairly limited. Has anyone used RetroCrush? How is the quality and anime selection?

Project A-Ko definitely brings back memories, though it leaves a lot to speculate about. Where does her strength come from? How did C-Kospoiler[ come to live on Earth?] Which anime/show was the transforming robot a reference to, where they couldn't reach the controls? I originally watched it on VHS nearly 20-25 years ago by renting it at Blockbuster.

Looking through it over 90% of what you see can be found on other sites like this has an anime section like Midnight Pulp, AsianCrush and Midnight Pulp is owned by the same company a those two have 90% of the same anime with a few one site has that the other doesn't by the selection and the name I assume that RetroCrush is the same company as well.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:01 am Reply with quote
Just as an FYI: I watched this on Amazon Prime last night and it's free if you have Prime.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:21 pm Reply with quote
ReifuTD wrote:
I don't think I checked out Retro Crush yet, I wounder what the quality of the video is because I have these movies on DVD some of these anime look like shit compared to old DVDs I feel I a seen Project A-Ko streaming some where else though.

The second-generation DVD's of the A-Ko movies were MUCH better than the original Image DVD release of the first Project A-Ko movie.
They spent some money and restored the film (from the remaining master materials) as much as they could for the second DVD release and the follow-up OVA's looked better, too, from all I've read.
I've only seen the films on a CRT set -- I still haven't seen them on HDTV/upscaled.
The second DVD release of the first A-Ko and the Discotek DVD release on based on a remastered tape that was used for the Japanese laserdisc release of the first Project A-Ko feature film.
The company that owns the movie unfortunately lost the original film masters for Project A-Ko and no one knows where they are to this day; this is why Project A-Ko hasn't been released on Blu ray -- at this point, they'd have to upscale from the remaining videotape and it would probably like sad like most upscales from old source tapes are. It would be much better if they could at least locate a theatrical release print of the film to work from. The film was released in France in the 1980s as well so we know there were theatrical release prints made. IF these weren't returned to Japan after the theatrical run in France, they were likely destroyed or ended up in private collections.
The reason I know that French exhibition happened was because the French trailers for the movie were included on the CPM VHS, laserdisc, and DVD releases for the Project A-ko (first) feature film.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:25 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:

The second-generation DVD's of the A-Ko movies were MUCH better than the original Image DVD release of the first Project A-Ko movie.
They spent some money and restored the film (from the remaining master materials) as much as they could for the second DVD release and the follow-up OVA's looked better, too, from all I've read.

Anything was better than the old dub master Image used which was a messy PAL to NTSC conversion.
Quote:

I've only seen the films on a CRT set -- I still haven't seen them on HDTV/upscaled.
The second DVD release of the first A-Ko and the Discotek DVD release on based on a remastered tape that was used for the Japanese laserdisc release of the first Project A-Ko feature film.

Actually, I heard both were sourced from laserdiscs held onto by fans. The image quality on the Discotek DVD looks a little soft on an HDTV compared to releases taken from studio-grade tape masters.
Quote:

The company that owns the movie unfortunately lost the original film masters for Project A-Ko and no one knows where they are to this day; this is why Project A-Ko hasn't been released on Blu ray -- at this point, (snip)
It would be much better if they could at least locate a theatrical release print of the film to work from. The film was released in France in the 1980s as well so we know there were theatrical release prints made. IF these weren't returned to Japan after the theatrical run in France, they were likely destroyed or ended up in private collections.
The reason I know that French exhibition happened was because the French trailers for the movie were included on the CPM VHS, laserdisc, and DVD releases for the Project A-ko (first) feature film.

I haven't come across evidence that France actually had a theater release, but did come across a claim that Belgium may have had one in 1990. A customer who bought the movie on Amazon many years ago claimed to have seen it on a theater marquee while in the country, if that's anything to go by. It would be great if a print turned up somewhere in a Belgian film archive. A national film archive in Belgium did help locate missing 35mm elements for another old anime film, Belladonna of Sadness, when that film was restored not too long ago.

Last edited by FLCLGainax on Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:42 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
ReifuTD wrote:
I don't think I checked out Retro Crush yet, I wounder what the quality of the video is because I have these movies on DVD some of these anime look like shit compared to old DVDs I feel I a seen Project A-Ko streaming some where else though.

The company that owns the movie unfortunately lost the original film masters for Project A-Ko and no one knows where they are to this day; this is why Project A-Ko hasn't been released on Blu ray -- at this point, they'd have to upscale from the remaining videotape and it would probably like sad like most upscales from old source tapes are. It would be much better if they could at least locate a theatrical release print of the film to work from. The film was released in France in the 1980s as well so we know there were theatrical release prints made. IF these weren't returned to Japan after the theatrical run in France, they were likely destroyed or ended up in private collections.

Yeah I'm sure I have those, I bought a box set of the OVA movies from Suncost back in the day because farther back in the day I love watching these on Scifi on Saturday Morning.

I also have the Iria OVA on DVD, witch is also on Midnight Pulp and again I assume is same version on RetroCrush because of the companies and stuff and oh god film quality for the streaming version compared to my DVD is just awful.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:22 am Reply with quote
So good seeing this. This was one of the earliest anime I saw back when we had to rent stuff at first. Always really enjoyed this movie and all of A-ko's kickass action scenes and how insane and detailed they got.
Still remember how neat it was the first time I came across a post that mentioned the whole "Superman and Wonder Woman" thing towards A-ko's amazing strength lol, so it was great to see it in the article.
As mentioned in the review, definitely wouldn't surprise me if it was also one of the secondary reasons I fell in love with Kill la Kill so quickly even before I realized it was hitting some of those memories somewhere during the run, since it had been so long since I'd last seen Project A-Ko.

TravellinMatt77 wrote:
On top of all that, the film also has a great 80's soundtrack.

Yeah!
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I always found it odd that the songs were in English and the film crew went out of their way to have the entire soundtrack recorded in Los Angeles. Did it have something to do with the main character being a red-headed gaijin and Japan being invaded by outside forces?
K7P5V

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:44 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Timeless classic.

Agreed. And the only thing left now is to start streaming the sequels. Wink
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:59 am Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
I always found it odd that the songs were in English and the film crew went out of their way to have the entire soundtrack recorded in Los Angeles. Did it have something to do with the main character being a red-headed gaijin and Japan being invaded by outside forces?

Yeah, it was so interesting that all of the songs were English.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2