• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - What the Hell is Happening in Darling in the FRANXX?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:59 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
OutCastLV wrote:
gurren lagann plot vibes anyone?
kinda strongly gives the ctrl c ctrl v feels with few changes

Put its themes (or what are attempting to be themes) in there and then the whole thing becomes really gross and reductive, advocating for a view of gender we know is false at this point and doubling down on ideas that have never worked.

1)FranXX has theme's, the problem is that they're either diluted as hell or not explicit enough.

2)"false"... please don't go there.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Gundamcero wrote:
Yeah. I enjoy RandomC for their reviews and that they actually like what they watch. Not really fun to come here and see reviews from opinionated people who just like to hate on things. To much nitpicking and I don't even believe they fully understand what the series is about. I can agree the series isn't perfect but I think for what it is it has been pretty great. Maybe people should wait till it is over before writing it off. Confused

I also enjoy RandomC reviews. Their love for the anime they watch shows allot in the reviews.
But i also like to see ANN reviews. Even if they don't like the show, they can express what they don't like about the show. The only problem in ANN reviews is that politics come up too much in the reviews. If they could express what is good and bad about the show without politics coming up, it would be better. But that is the world we live in, everybody put politics in everything, especially in American sites.

For me, what i look in anime is entertainment. I don't care of politics in the anime i watch, as long it is fun to watch, and FRANXX is entertaining even with some WTF moments.

Other site i like to read reviews is Anime Feminist. But is like watching disaster movies. I known how bad and trashing the reviews going to be, but is just too damn fun to read that.
Moo Moo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:15 pm Reply with quote
In this show, once a character gets through a semblance of an "arc", they lose their previous personality entirely and with it all the flaws, attitude etc that made them an interesting character to watch. This show only shines with Hiro/02 and while I do find them boring a lot of the time as well these days, at least they are simple concepts executed in a simple way and not big issues broken down into "cured by useless platitudes" like most drama in the show. They work through their issues for half of the show. While the Klaxx princess and Hiro, the Doctor and 02, Ichigo and Ikuno, Ichigo and Hiro, the list goes on, were all solved too easily, cleanly and uniform. In comparison to the things the characters involved have done to each other or suffered.

Then there is the issue with the 9s, who the show tries to (I assume) bring onto the redemption arc at the last minute. Now, I have no issue with the concept, because at the end of the day, they are children like the main cast who have been manipulated by the space alien god(ahaha this really happened). But the show has failed to humanize them adequately before this point despite it being very simple to do, so in addition to everything else it feels rushed. Which is crazy when the show has had so much time. And the thing about the VIRM being an enemy of all of humanity means all the development the cast had that led them to start distrusting Papa feels wasted because aside from the 9s(initially), who else would not fight against the guys trying to blow up the earth? The escalation makes much of the characters feel more meaningless than before. The little relationship drama pales in comparison to a galactic war. When you are going this route you need to introduce it way earlier. The klaxx princess was little more than a plot device as a result.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I am a little surprised that children, family, and marriage are now considered to be harmful narratives. Than again after the mockery of Kokoro for wanting to be a mother on Twitter I should have realized that a lot of things are now viewed as reinforcing the heteronormative patriarchy. I think that Darling in the Franxx is similar to The Last Jedi in that it is a show that has a view of the world that strongly resonates with people. The people who agree with it think it is great while the people who disagree with it think it is horrible. Granted a lot of reviewers judge entertainment based on how it aligns with their personal views which is a common issue with how ecchi shows are rated.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I guess to prime humanity for their eventual assimilation into VIRM? But this also brings up more of FranXX's muddled ideas, because the story posits that the gender binary and reproduction are A) intrinsic to human nature and B) need to be protected lest we lose our humanity. Not only are these things not true, they feed into super harmful narratives that are often used to oppress anyone who lives outside of these "norms".

Part of me can't help but feel that the way you say it, it sounds like you're actively against cisgender-identifying people seeking to procreate.
Quote:
...with too much purple prose and too much distracting letterboxing to be anything but nauseating.

You best not be talking smack about letterboxing because I loooove that sh*t.
Gundamcero wrote:
Yeah. I enjoy RandomC for their reviews and that they actually like what they watch. Not really fun to come here and see reviews from opinionated people who just like to hate on things.

Agreed so, so much. Especially considering that that while practically every member on staff here absolutely despised Magical Girl Site, not only did RandomC see what it was past all the mean-spiritedness towards Aya, but they stuck with the show past the first episode and are actively enjoying the everloving hell out of it. If only this site was as understanding as them...
Twilightmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I find it really weird that several of you have basically said you hate seeing reviews of shows where the reviewer didn't like it. Like, you're basically saying that you don't want to hear someone's opinion of something unless they like it as much as you do, and hooo boy is there a lot wrong with that kind of thought process. I mean, just go to a sub-reddit for the show and gush about how much you love it if that's what you want.

I personally don't think you should ever take one reviewers opinion and use that as your sole point of judgment for a show/movie/game. Look at multiple, hopefully different views, and get a more broad perspective that way.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Twilightmaster wrote:
I find it really weird that several of you have basically said you hate seeing reviews of shows where the reviewer didn't like it. Like, you're basically saying that you don't want to hear someone's opinion of something unless they like it as much as you do, and hooo boy is there a lot wrong with that kind of thought process. I mean, just go to a sub-reddit for the show and gush about how much you love it if that's what you want.

I personally don't think you should ever take one reviewers opinion and use that as your sole point of judgment for a show/movie/game. Look at multiple, hopefully different views, and get a more broad perspective that way.

Eh...what? People ARE trying to look at different views, the problem is that, like Jake mentioned a few(?) pages back, it just so happens that everyone who has spoken about FranXX in ANN has similar thoughts, which are, to say the least, negative.

So yeah, the complains is that every other day something new comes along to reiterate what has been said over and over again. Heck, i think the "show's nosediving user reviews and ratings as well" is only because people are giving up on the that thread + reviews themselves. On other websites, regardless of positive or negative opinion, the conversation has been hot since day 1. Neutral
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Unless you think the focusing on the traditional gender pairings itself is "Homophobic" in which case I would just facepalm.

Um, it's 2018, get with the times old man. Being straight is like so 2014.

At least the staff doesn't send death threats to the writer like Tokyo Ghoul 'fans' did when they found out everyone was straight.

Twilightmaster wrote:

Pretty sure people's issue is the constant politics, not disliking something. If you dislike something solely because "ew, straight people" then obviously people are going to raise an eyebrow. Worse if you insult the people who do like something and generalize them all.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:42 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
Honestly I have never felt so attacked for liking a show in my entire life. Thanks to the reviewers on here, and their far more toxic Twitter rants, I have since stopped reading other reviews on this site. It just makes me depressed to browse an anime news site and be called horrible things like a Nazi or unsupporting of LGBT or completely lacking in critical thinking or all the other terrible things that have been said or conveyed.

Serious question: Why do you think you're being attacked/criticized/scolded/whatever? It looks like this column, at least, is staying clear of the "man can you believe some people are STUPID enough to like this" trap. It's all about the authors' own opinions and analysis of the show itself.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
The "heteronormativity" thing is dead horse already. Not even the right word. "heteronormativity" by definition is homophobic, and I've not yet seen the anime actually do anything homophobic. They've only gone as far as to push what is "normal", which makes the the use of the word understandable here but it's incorrect. Unless you think the focusing on the traditional gender pairings itself is "Homophobic" in which case I would just facepalm.

"Heteronormativity" is not synonymous with homophobia, actually. The term actually has more to do with not only portraying heterosexuality as the norm, but also traditional gender roles and traditional forms of relationships. That's why people keep using that word rather than "homophobia" -- because it doesn't mean the same thing, and suggesting something is heterornormative isn't the same as saying it's homophobic (but it often is). And it fits closer to describing something that promotes not only heterosexual couplings, but marriage/kids as the path to happiness for everyone.

In short, while homophobia mainly hurts gay and bi people, heteronormativity also hurts a lot of straight people who don't fit into traditional ideas about gender and relationships.

It's a confusing term, sure, but it's worth looking it up since there's a lot packed within that term.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:54 pm Reply with quote
The idea that a show that wants to be Evangelion so bad it hurts, so much that every single thing in it is screaming "Look at me! I can do it too!" towards Anno right before shoving the stick into the wheel of its bicycle and falling over is just about "aliens and robots" and not trying for anything more meaningful is completely laughable.

Like the article said the most generous reading you can give of the show is that it's actually about nothing at all, because everything is so muddled and half-hearted and slapdash that it doesn't succeed in establishing any kind of theme for itself.

PS. completely separate from both of those yet another Trigger show going "Uhh ummm ALIENS!" at the last second has stopped being cute and drifted entirely into being played out. Find a new third act.

I wish this show didn't make me worried about Gridman.

Last edited by Vent on Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:55 pm Reply with quote
There’s nothing wrong with those roles if they aren’t forced upon people. The way they make it sound is the mere presence of the roles is a problem, which it isn’t.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I just find it fascinating that people are getting so up in arms about this as if the criticism of how this show talks about relationships is out of nowhere from a show that talked about relationships. Seriously, people? It feels more like people just injecting their own bias and attaching more outrage than the writers did.

Jonny Mendes wrote:
Gundamcero wrote:
Yeah. I enjoy RandomC for their reviews and that they actually like what they watch. Not really fun to come here and see reviews from opinionated people who just like to hate on things. To much nitpicking and I don't even believe they fully understand what the series is about. I can agree the series isn't perfect but I think for what it is it has been pretty great. Maybe people should wait till it is over before writing it off. Confused

I also enjoy RandomC reviews. Their love for the anime they watch shows allot in the reviews.
But i also like to see ANN reviews. Even if they don't like the show, they can express what they don't like about the show. The only problem in ANN reviews is that politics come up too much in the reviews. If they could express what is good and bad about the show without politics coming up, it would be better. But that is the world we live in, everybody put politics in everything, especially in American sites.

For me, what i look in anime is entertainment. I don't care of politics in the anime i watch, as long it is fun to watch, and FRANXX is entertaining even with some WTF moments.

Other site i like to read reviews is Anime Feminist. But is like watching disaster movies. I known how bad and trashing the reviews going to be, but is just too damn fun to read that.

It's nice that you don't want politics in your anime (even politics wasn't even in the article), but there are a lot of politics in Anime. I'm sorry it comes up a lot. Sometimes you can't avoid it. For example you can't watch even Attack on Titan without even addressing the obvious allusions to history.

Last edited by bleachj0j on Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Vent wrote:

I wish this show didn't make me worried about Gridman.

This was written by the cast of misfits from A-1. Gridman’s writer is the lead from Ultraman Nexus and Kamen Rider W, which are fondly remembered.

It’s in good hands.

Honestly, there’s a lot to critique from that angle. But “muh gender roles” is a complete non-starter argument.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Honestly, there’s a lot to critique from that angle. But “muh gender roles” is a complete non-starter argument.

I'd agree with you, if that wasn't a element of the show. So discussing it is fair game.

Beatdigga wrote:

This was written by the cast of misfits from A-1. Gridman’s writer is the lead from Ultraman Nexus and Kamen Rider W, which are fondly remembered.

Actually the head writer of Kamen Rider Ghost, which is not fondly remembered.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8