• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
One Piece Manga Creator Eiichiro Oda: Story Is About 65% Finished

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shinuki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:17 am Reply with quote
Davy0 wrote:
No because unlike Naruto and Bleach, Oda stated he had the ending and middle planned like years ago.

Hey, check your facts bro, Kishimoto stated many times that he already knew how Naruto would end since the begining of the serialization, even in the extra notes of the first Naruto volumes (that i have) he was already tellling that he had the end in mind, just how reach this end that would need time.

About Bleach, in the Repeat & Reboot, published before the start of the last arc in 2012, was stated that Kubo was planning the final arc for 5 years since the Arrankar arc.

Lesson number one about authors of long running stories, almost all of them already has the end in mind or at least an idea, the rest start to plan in the middle.
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:30 am Reply with quote
MasterKingJC wrote:
Yeah, that seems about right.
Even after the Yonko Saga, there's still plenty of plot threads and teased events that need to happen before we even reach what would be the final stretch.
Which is funny since some people thought after events of the Zou arc, the endgame was starting to build up.

I literally just read a paricularly revelation-heavy chapter of Zou that did indeed give off that impression. Not in a "Oh my god they'll reach Raftel in a few months!" way mind you, more like a... "Oda is stepping up his game and from this point on we might be seeing some major progress with each arc and Raftel may be like five or six islands away" kind of way. Which, considering how long each arc tends to last, could very well turn out to still be the case...
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:34 am Reply with quote
Even if it's still in the far future, I will miss One Piece...
Thanks for the weekly read!
Animechic420

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:58 am Reply with quote
Oda better hope he doesn't die before he can finish his work. Confused

Last edited by Animechic420 on Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Drunk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:10 am Reply with quote
Do you guys really think that Oda will continue for another 28 years? The Dressrosa arc was pretty long, so compared to the rest of the manga, the story progression was slow. Don't expect Oda to take another 4 years for every 5 % remaining. He may even speed things up a little. I give One Piece around 10 more years, then it's done.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:22 am Reply with quote
That just means we still have a lot to look forward to... I just hope I'm still alive when One Piece ends, lol.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:25 am Reply with quote
Deynard wrote:
MasterKingJC wrote:
Which is funny since some people thought after events of the Zou arc, the endgame was starting to build up.

Oh yes and after Water 7 there were sailing on Fishmen Island but Saboady, Impel Down and War happened.

Rolling Eyes

Not sure if that eye roll is directed to me or not, but that's one of the most famous examples of how a destination can be prolonged due to twists and turns in the story.

More recently, the current arc spoiler[is all about Big Mom and Sanji, which has put the Kaido plot, which has been developing for the past couple of arcs, on hold for now. ]
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:27 am Reply with quote
Drunk wrote:
Do you guys really think that Oda will continue for another 28 years? The Dressrosa arc was pretty long, so compared to the rest of the manga, the story progression was slow. Don't expect Oda to take another 4 years for every 5 % remaining. He may even speed things up a little. I give One Piece around 10 more years, then it's done.

I'm curious why so many people are focused on "5% in 4 years" rather than the "65% complete". The math done by jeromeskee based on the latter comes out close to the 10 year mark.

In my experience, later estimates are more likely to be more accurate than earlier ones (e.g., the "about 60% complete" 4 years ago), and around 10 years is certainly more realistic than 28.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:28 am Reply with quote
Based on comments he made in the past, I wouldn't take that statement at face value. In the Q&A section of volume #42 (released in 2006), a reader asked how long will he continue to make the series. Oda's response was:

Oda's answer wrote:
I've answered this in some magazines and interviews. Originally, my plan was that One Piece would continue for five years. I've always had the climax in my head from the start, I've just been working toward it since. But my original estimates were a bit short, and I was unable to finish up my story within five years (ROFL). And now our pirates have been adventuring for nine years, and I have no idea how much longer they will be at it (hey!).
COREY2293

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:37 am Reply with quote
That is worrying news honestly... I dont think i have it in me to force myself to read another arc like Dressrosa. Dressrosa started so well and it had great moments but it was so dragged out with so many useless chapters. Zoro fight and Franky fights were awfully paced.

I loved the character stuff like Rebeccas arc but most of the colluseum characters were literally there to set up the grand fleet and it ruined the arc. 2 years i think it lasted. Dont do that again Oda.

I am getting older, I just dont wanna see Oda drag this along like he did on Dressrosa because i probably wont finish.
NEETnoKami

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:53 am Reply with quote
this is to be expected

if oda keeps this up one piece will probably keep going on for at least 10 years, including his breaks, and holidays.

one piece will probably finish up at chapter 1200-1300, unless oda really stretches out the final arc.

we had 100 chapters with dressrosa, next we have whole cake, and then we have the wano/kaido arc, who knows how long the final arc will be.

i know there will be other arcs in between hopefully they will be short arcs, i have no clue what the rest of the arc will be about

this is just an assumption
whole cake-50 chapters
wano-75-100
raftel-final arc-100-200 chapters
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:17 am Reply with quote
Well it was said few years ago that it was 50% done, so this news doesnt surprise me that much and that we can expect around 1300episodes by the end. Oh well tmw or maybe today ill catch up with the latest episode currently at ep704 so yeah anyway lets see how this will go on, probably one the things that iam most lookin forward is the battles against the 4 pirate emperors and luffy takin a spot on it^^
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:44 am Reply with quote
This means it'll be 2040 when it finally ends.
Gasero

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:54 am Reply with quote
Depending on the translation, if Oda specifically said about 65% of the plot is complete that would mean he has an idea of how much story is remaining, but not how much CONTENT is remaining.

Oda could easily speed up progress in the remaining chapters so that the plot isn't stretched too thin. I really hope that's his plan.

Last edited by Gasero on Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:56 am Reply with quote
I suck at maths but if One Piece's plot is 65% completed, then we still have:

10% for Yonko saga which we're currently in progress.
10% for World Government saga
5% for minor arcs ,and
10% for Raftel saga.

Since Dressrosa arc has wrapped up, the pace has speed up and maybe he will finished within 10 years from now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4