• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Critical Mass II: The Seasoning

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:50 pm Reply with quote
This is straying off the podcast subject matter, but before calling this tangent to a close I'm going to do something that I don't often do: completely have dtm42's back on this one. This isn't his normal self-centered BS, Fencedude, because others actually agree with him on this one, including Carlo in this review of the first six episodes, me, and a lot of others, and for pretty much the same reasons.

In the 14 total episodes I have seen, the potential good points of the series have been crippled by flawed internal logic. The series doesn't bother to explain well why we have all of these disparate elements together (something about worlds overlapping has something to to with it, apparently?), and some of the elements stuck together are just stupid; I'm particularly thinking of the Indian guy here. The series simply asks viewers to accept way too much at face value. I'm pretty sure that I've seen you blast other series for pretty much that same offense, Fencedude, which is why I'm a little surprised that you're giving such a big pass to this one.

And concerning the Tolkein comparisons, sorry, but you have no leg to stand on there. Elves, orcs, goblins, and the like are all mythical creatures from essentially the same cultural backgrounds, so it completely makes sense for them to all be present in the same stories, and this has been well-established over the decades. Incubi, samurai wielding sci fi weapons, Christian church-based warriors, mecha, Indians, witches, and whatever else I'm forgetting do not all normally populate the same stories (a couple of them sometimes cross over with each other, but that's it), so a lot more justification needs to be included. It isn't, unless it all comes later in the second season.

Fencedude, you get one chance to respond to this but after that this spin-off discussion on Horizon is over unless it can be shown to be directly relevant to the ANNCast subject matter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
...I'm going to do something that I don't often do: completely have dtm42's back on this one.

I didn't think I'd live to see the day that you agreed with me on someth- . . . hey, wait a minute, what's this?

Key wrote:
This isn't his normal self-centered BS...

I guess you can't even agree with me without being a jerk.

I'd report you if I thought it would do any good.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

I say that dtm42 is winning the argument because his/her arguments use logic. Whereas your arguments reduce to something like: why is there an eclectic mix of characters in Horizon? just because; do not [bleeping] question it.

Do not ask me to prove this because I doubt you will consider my arguments.

No, he has made assertions, he has not used "logic" at any point.

His position is entirely based on watching the first three episodes, and largely involves him asserting how things must be, without any proof as to why that must be so.

You are just here cheerleading for him because you don't like me. Which is fine, as far as it goes. Do you need some pom-poms? I think Shinka left some lying around.

I am aware dtm42 has only watched three episode, but I think that questioning something like the mix of eclectic characters and over the top otaku pandering elements is valid.

I don't give a rat's ass about you opinion of me. And you are mad about my harsh words? You, the person who likes to be a condescending prick to everyone who does not agree with you.

And I am not a cheerleader, I side with opinions that make logical sense.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:10 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

And concerning the Tolkein comparisons, sorry, but you have no leg to stand on there. Elves, orcs, goblins, and the like are all mythical creatures from essentially the same cultural backgrounds, so it completely makes sense for them to all be present in the same stories, and this has been well-established over the decades. Incubi, samurai wielding sci fi weapons, Christian church-based warriors, mecha, Indians, witches, and whatever else I'm forgetting do not all normally populate the same stories (a couple of them sometimes cross over with each other, but that's it), so a lot more justification needs to be included. It isn't, unless it all comes later in the second season.

I'll choose this one point, since its a good one.

Do you know why the setting has stuff from a huge variety of cultures? BECAUSE THE SETTING IS THE ENTIRE WORLD.

Seriously. The show focuses on Musashi, which is basically "Japan", but while the action all takes place in the Divine States (which is literally Japan) it involves THE ENTIRE WORLD.

Thats the entire point! They are recreating the history of the entire world! That you wonder why there are creatures from European Mythology, Asian Mythology and who knows what else, thats because all those cultures are involved!

Musashi is Japan

England is, of course, England.

Tres Espana is Spain

KPA Italia is Italy

P.A. ODA is the Ottoman Empire

Qing-Takeda is China

etc etc.

You have to think large scale here. dtm, you, and so many others try to reduce it down to just something that is "Japanese", when that completely misses the point of the entire setting.

You have every culture in the planet jammed together into the islands of Japan, complicated by all the crazy shit that happened in the world between now and 10,000 years from now, most of which isn't actually relevant.

None of you can tell me why it matters where these people came from. You are so obsessively focused on the minutia that you completely miss what the show is trying to tell you, which is the actually important stuff.

This is the most clear example of missing the forest for the trees that I can remember seeing.

And of course, it doesn't actually matter what this post says, since you aren't interested in actually having this discussion, so I don't know why I am even bothering.

DTM has watched 3 episodes of the show. He says it has a myriad of contradictions. I think he's full of shit on that point, and as I said, he's gone off on other people for far more reasonable critiques of Madoka.

You quite plainly stated to me that you had no interest in actually approaching the show on an intellectually honest level. And I read Carlo's review, and disagreed with it.

I would like someone, someone who actually paid the damn attention to the show to try and argue these points with me reasonably.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:16 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
I would like someone, someone who actually paid the damn attention to the show to try and argue these points with me reasonably.

I'm not exactly doubting this, but why does it sound like you just want someone to validate your opinion?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:23 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I'm not exactly doubting this, but why does it sound like you just want someone to validate your opinion?

No, I want to find out of someone who actually watched the show, paid attention to it, and still has objections to what happened.

Still waiting for those examples of inconsistency, by the way.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:28 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Still waiting for those examples of inconsistency, by the way.

Eh? I've already laid my cards on the table and given examples of the inconsistencies in the characters. Best that you stop pretending that I'm the bogeyman and just let this argument go.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:34 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Eh? I've already laid my cards on the table and given examples of the inconsistencies in the characters. Best that you stop pretending that I'm the bogeyman and just let this argument go.

No, you have stated that you don't believe these different creatures should exist in the same setting.

However since they do, that point is moot. You implied actual inconsistency in the writing of the characters, which would actually be something.
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:37 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
At the risk of getting in trouble here, isn't Warhammer 40k a great example of the fact that it CAN be done? I mean, orcs in space! I hated watching Horizon because of that horrible Indian caricature, but I'm not convinced that "weird cross-population" is in itself problematic.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:48 am Reply with quote
would it perhaps be helpful to direct folks to the massive retrospect that Stilts wrote for random curiosity? would certainly help those unable or unwilling to understand the world that Horizon has been set up in.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:37 am Reply with quote
Fencedude, I'm not going to make a response to your last post because I said you had one chance to reply and then the matter ended. (And yes, that's why I'm even ignoring your "intellectually honest" comment.) The bickering here on Horizon is done, unless it specifically concerns something said in the ANNCast, as is the sniping comments at each other. Carry it over to the proper Anime forum thread if you want to continue that matter further or wait for the response thread if/when it gets reviewed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Still listening to the podcast here and I noticed that Rebecca was never introduced. An awkward audio cut occurred after Theron's introduction.

I assume technical difficulties prevailed?
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:46 am Reply with quote
Regardless of SAO's quality, if Aniplex got it on Toonami within six month of it finishing it's JP run, it could get a pretty good responce.

Not that Japan will ever allow it, they absolutely rubbed out any damn chance in hell T&B had and then Viz put the final knife in with Neon Ally.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8