• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Team/Organization Tournament: Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:06 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
You're missing the point that The Observers arespoiler[ no longer part of] Celestial Being during season 2.

That's a different point altogether, it doesn't change the original status quo nor what it was supposed to be. Besides, Wang is still around and playing a role in the proceedings of CB.

What's more, that is only the case because spoiler[they were eliminated off-screen], which would be a problem, even though that wasn't brought up during the show and might well be considered beyond the limits of this tournament.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:14 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
That's a different point altogether, it doesn't change the original status quo nor what it was supposed to be. Besides, Wang is still around and playing a role in the proceedings of CB.

That, exactly, is a contradiction to my criteria. So, you expect every organization to show great teamwork, and whatever else there's, from the very beginning?
What's my voting criteria? The team's final moments in the anime. Destroyed or not, I hold their final actions with high regards.
But if your criteria is "original status", then I'd say there's nothing left to discuss.
But just one last thing. Wang's actions certainly affected Celestial Being, but didn't they overcome it? I don't get your point anymore, is it betrayal?
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I believe that wasn't what I meant.

I don't want to question the teamwork of the core Gundam Meisters, no, but this is merely about pointing out that if we are going to talk about Celestial Being as a whole, those certainly aren't all the people involved in the organization and thus the discussion shouldn't be restricted to the main characters alone. If we are speaking about an organization, then yes...betrayal and duplicity matter, even if they are overcome in the long run. How they are to be judged depends on the match.

Keep in mind that I also voted in favor of Celestial Being during this round.

That doesn't take anything away from the actions of the Gundam Meisters themselves as a team, I can actually agree with your previous points to that effect, but there's a distinction that has to be made, one way or another.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:01 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
I've been a fair bit undecided here. Aswad had the better write-up by far, but there's been a lack of additional supporting arguments and Celestial Being's core group (the Gundam Meisters) is admittedly a pretty good team in its own right, even though they were ostensibly nominated as an overall organization.

What else do you expect for a supporting write-up? What needs to be said about them is pretty much contained in the Guide entry: they live, work, fight, and coordinate as a team, they have absolute loyalty to a respectable leader who has the position because she earned it, and they have a firm identity due to a common code of ethics and honor that they abide by. They don't take individual actions unless it's part of a plan. They quite frequently demonstrate their teamwork, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:26 am Reply with quote
Round 2 Group D is now closed

Final results can be found here. It was a very disappointing turn-out - only 19 votes, which I think is the lowest total in the last couple of tournaments - especially considering how many hotly-contested matches there were. Three were decided by a single vote, a fourth by only three. Interestingly, the two biggest blow-out winners will be facing each other next round.

And from a personal standpoint, I am very disappointed that Chor Tempest got knocked out, even if only by one vote. (And the fact that it wrecks my minigame and probably helps many others is actually a mere secondary consideration.) Debris Section is a strong competitor, no doubt, but they weren't the better group here. I knew it would be an uphill battle to convince people of that, given that Planetes is a much better-known series, but apparently I fell just a little short. Razz

Oh, well. At least Aswad hung on for a win and Gatchaman won big, so the round wasn't a total loss.

Anyway, that concludes Round 2. Round 3, complete with video clips, starts next.

Last edited by Key on Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:43 am Reply with quote
Round 3 Group A is now closed.

If you are new to these tournaments, this is the round where video clips start becoming available for consideration. Each competitor has one, a link to which can be found on their Guide pages at the bottom of the entry. While these aren't required viewing, they are highly recommended if you are unfamiliar with the team and/or series in question, as these clips are chosen specifically to show the competitors working as a team or their group dynamic.

Since we are down to only four matches per group, this is also the round where justifications for your votes are now required. Please note that any votes lacking justifications will not be counted. Don't just say, "the Guide entries convinced me that Team X is better," either. Explain why you decided that. "Coin flip" is an acceptable justification but it should be avoided wherever possible.

Group A-25
Section 9, Ghost in the Shell franchise
vs.
Team Urameshi, Yu Yu Hakusho

Winner: Section 9
Total: 21-1

Group A-26
Paper Sisters, R.O.D. TV
vs.
Hellsing Organization, Hellsing franchise

Winner: Paper Sisters
Total: 20-2

Group A-27
NERV, Neon Genesis Evangelion
vs.
Le Secret du Roi, Le Chevalier d’Eon

Winner: NERV
Total: 15-7

Group A-28
Knight Sabers, Bubblegum Crisis franchise
vs.
Game Club, When They Cry/Higurashi no Naku Koroni franchise

Winner: Tie!
Total: 11-11

Last edited by Key on Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:01 am Reply with quote
Group A-25
vs.

This should be the biggest blow-out of the round. Team Urameshi may have some merit, but Section 9 outclasses them in almost every respect, and their clip here shows how coordinated and efficient they can be.

Group A-26
Paper Sisters, R.O.D. TV
vs.

Hellsing has a definite "cool" factor going for them, and the Paper Sisters only barely won last round, but the clip match-up here illustrates why the latter would win. They are simply a more cohesive and tightly-cooperative group than our favorite vampire hunting organization.

Group A-27
vs.

The toughest one this round for me, since I nominated and deeply respect both. A lot of people have been down on NERV because of all of the internal secrets floating around them, but as Le Secret du Roi shows in its later stages, not all of its members are on the same page, either. Both initial clips are good representations of the respective organizations at their best, showing the great level of cooperation and coordination within each respective group. Both organizations have about equal interpersonal dynamics and firm identities, although Le Secret might have the slight edge on the latter. NERV, by comparison, has a slight edge because it has vastly more people working cohesively towards a goal.

If a deciding factor is needed here then we have to look at how each group ends. Even though most at NERV might not have been aware of the organization's true intent, and regardless of whether you accept the TV series or movie ending, the organization more or less accomplished its original true purpose: fight off the Angels while completing the Human Instrumentality Project. Le Secret du Roi, by comparison. . . without getting into too many spoilers, it got ugly for them at the end. For that reason I give NERV the edge here.

Group A-28
vs.

Game Club is going to be a popular choice but I'm not convinced they're the better option here. The Knight Sabers may have their personality conflicts, but they are a cohesive group with a firm identity and lots of opportunities to show off their teamwork - and, unlike the Game Club, they are that way from start to finish.
ccdx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:15 am Reply with quote
Brackets updated at: http://homepage.mac.com/unirizer/team/index.html

Hopefully Mini-game scores updated later.
Olliff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:20 am Reply with quote
For a nice change of pace, I actually agree with all of Key's votes. I can see one of these matches being an uphill battle, and I hope we can campaign on the same side for once.

Group A-25
vs.

Section 9

No question. Team Urameshi may have a lot of the characteristics of a good team, but they are outclassed by a team that probably has the most intricate teamwork in this tournament. Their coordination and efficiency exceeds Hotel Moscow, and they are much more fleshed out and have plenty of character developement as well. They have a good chance at least making it to the finals if not winning the entire tournament.

Group A-26
Paper Sisters, R.O.D. TV
vs.

Paper Sisters

The Paper Sisters are much more cohesive and tight-knit compared to the Hellsing Organization, who seems to have a single member who still seems fiercely independent.

Group A-27
vs.

NERV

I have supported Le Secret du Roi this entire tournament up until now. They have their merits, but their much more blatant and callous spoiler[ betrayal] seems much worse than some of the more dubious dealings with NERV. Both teams have weaknesses, though I admit both teams also have all the characteristics of a solid team. I doubt either of these will make it much further in the tournament though.

Group A-28
vs.

Knight Sabers

In terms of series popularity, the Game Club is the clear favorite, but I have serious issues with this club despite their few shining moments. For almost the entire first season, the organization is on hostile terms with each other. While they do have merits and accomplishments, they seem to be smothered with melodrama. This team barely squeaked by the Soyokaze Crew, a team that severely lacks in name recognition, but was still deserving of the win. The Knight Sabers do not win by based on the weakness of the Game Club alone. They are a cohesive, and tight-knit bunch, and it wouldn't be a stretch to call them a classic.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:49 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
It was a very disappointing turn-out - only 19 votes, which I think is the lowest total in the last couple of tournaments - especially considering how many hotly contested matched there were.

Second lowest turn-out in the past 4 tournaments, the lowest being round A-3 of the Duos Tourney with 17.

Mini-game results might not be available until Tuesday evening, as that's when I get home from classes, and I just finished writing a paper on the historical accuracy of Reds, so I'm not going to mess around with the parts of it that I don't have automatically fill in yet.

Also, don't feel too bad, Key. You only did a little below average for this round, as this was (just barely) the second lowest round for the second round of the mini-game in the records I have at 38.13%. Lowest was round B-2 of the Duos Tournament at 31.25%. Third lowest is A-2 of the Duos Tournament at 39.06%.

The highest score this round was 10 points out of a possible 16. Three people got that. A majority of participants scored lower than 8.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:00 am Reply with quote
Match A-25: Section 9 (Ghost in the Shell franchise)
Team Urameshi is completely outmatched by the greater displays of teamwork and efficiency that I have seen of the Major and her men.

Match A-26: Paper Sisters (Read or Die TV)
Like my pleas against Hellsing last round, the group has Alucard mostly as their vampire-slaughtering tank requiring little teamwork from the organization while the Paper Sisters are more tight-knit and have more active displays of teamwork.

Match A-27: NERV (Evangelion)
Since I've heard last round that Le Secret du Roi's problems with spoiler[betrayals] mess them up badly, I have no choice but to vote for NERV this round.

Match A-28: Game Club (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni)
The team's earlier flaws stemmed spoiler[from the Hinamizawa Syndrome making its presence through the earlier mistrusts of several characters]. Beyond that point, the Game Club become a tight-knit bunch who team up to deal with each other's personal problems and the mysteries in the town that are causing the spoiler[repeated summers of 1983.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Olliff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:26 am Reply with quote
This post was accidentally edited by Key, and the original may not be recoverable.

Last edited by Olliff on Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:44 am Reply with quote
Group A-25
vs.

I have already previously remarked on my favour for Section 9, on the basis of their remarkable cohesiveness -- but especially because individual team members continue to operate (by dint of training and group dynamism) as integral parts of the group, even when separated from the main force. My vote is rock solid in their favour.

Group A-26
Paper Sisters, R.O.D. TV
vs.

As I have previously noted, the Hellsing organisation does not merit a presence in this tournament, in my opinion. It consists of one heavyweight and a few middleweights and a ton of cannon fodder, with little or no organised team spirit. Any opponent, almost, would deserve to win this match -- and the Paper Sisters are most definitely not "any opponent". I vote for the kamitsukai no sanshimai.

Group A-27
vs.

Urrgh. Bluurgh. Gaak. I am reduced to near-incoherence by the consummate lack of merit of both of these also-rans. Since I have to pick one, I'll vote for Le Secret du Roi. Whichever wins, though, I hope they crash and burn instantly in the next round.

Group A-28
vs.
Game Club, When They Cry/Higurashi no Naku Koroni franchise[/quote]

There can be absolutely no doubt in my mind, here. Having recently watched Higurashi no Naku Koro ni again, I am completely convinced that the Game Club is among the teams most deserving of a place in the finals. No other team overcomes so many obstacles, spoiler[themselves included], and shows such devotion to each other.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:54 am Reply with quote
Group A-25
Voting for:Section 9, Ghost in the Shell franchise

Reasons: Mainly the fact that this team had the highest number of nominations IIRC, plus other arguments made in their favour.

Group A-26
Voting for:Paper Sisters, R.O.D. TV

Reasons: Both teams here are ones I'm not totally sure about as far as their qualifications to be here go (though I"m sure whoever wins will be blown out by Section 9 next round anyway). But after re-reading the guide I decided that the arguments against Hellsing in previous rounds were enough to sway me the other way.

Group A-27
Voting for:Le Secret du Roi, Le Chevalier d’Eon

Reasons: Another matching where I wasn't sure going into it but again, past arguments against NERV have swayed me the other way.

Group A-28
Voting for:Knight Sabers, Bubblegum Crisis franchise

Reasons: Issued raised in nominations about the Game Club have kept me from voting for them so far. I see no reason to end the trend now.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:52 am Reply with quote
Group A-25
vs.

Section 9 I'm not familiar with neither Team Urameshi nor Section 9, but I have read a lot of good things about Section 9, so they have my vote.

Group A-26
Paper Sisters, R.O.D. TV
vs.

Paper Sisters There is more teamwork and cooperation among Paper Sisters.

Group A-27
vs.

Both are unimpressive, but since I have to choose one I vote in favour of Le Secret du Roi

Group A-28
vs.

I have been supporting Game Club all this time, and I believe it's not a time to stop. They don't make a good team in the first season, but it's explained why in the second season. I don't think that their behaviour from the first season should prevent them from advancing to the next round as the cause of their behaviour is external. They are not a weak group because of what happened in the first season, it would be the same as claiming that Euphemia is a total bitch because of what she did at the end of the first season of Code Geass while totally ignoring why it happened.

Last edited by Aylinn on Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:50 pm; edited 6 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 36 of 70