• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Team/Organization Tournament: Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
velocet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Group C-17
Grandis Gang, Nadia: Secret of the Blue Water
vs.
Akatsuki, Naruto

Akatsuki

Group C-18
Lagoon Company , Black Lagoon
vs.
Sailor Scouts, Sailor Moon franchise

Sailor Scouts

Group C-19
Ala Alba, Negima! OVAs
vs.
Guardian Council, Shugo Chara

Ala Alba

Group C-20
TERRA, RahXephon
vs.
MITHRIL, Full Metal Panic! franchise

MITHRIL

Group C-21
Civilian Military Provider S.M.S, Macross Frontier
vs.
Nirvana Crew, Vandread

Civilian Military Provider S.M.S

Group C-22
Ouran High School Host Club, Ouran High School Host Club
vs.
Silvana Crew, Last Exile

Ouran High School Host Club

Group C-23
Mew Mews, Tokyo Mew Mew
vs.
Ohtori Academy Student Council, Revolutionary Girl Utena

Mew Mews. I love Utena, but how on earth are the Student Council still in it? A bunch of people who barely get along all manipulated by the same guy, but wouldn't hesitate to kick each other down if they thought it'd help make their own selfish wishes come true. All the relationships, bar Miki and Juri's fencing club 'sempai/kohai' dynamic are strained or downright messed up. And don't even get me started on Anthy! It makes great viewing, but they're not a team. Even going under the heading of 'organisation' you don't really see any evidence of their actual work as the student council, just lots of posing in their pretty Student Council uniforms. They may come from an infinitely better show, but at least the Mew Mews actually do something.

Group C-24
Band of the Hawk, Berserk
vs.
Wolf Brigade, Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade

Wolf Brigade
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Group C-17
vs.
Akatsuki, Naruto

Akatsuki

Group C-18
vs.

Sailor Scouts

Group C-19
Ala Alba, Negima! OVAs
vs.

Ala Alba

Group C-20
TERRA, RahXephon
vs.

MITHRIL
Quote:
[MITHRIL] It's weakness lies in the fact that they are too reliant on a few key members.

Punishing a team because of a few key players who are very competent is nonsense. No one says the Colts aren't very good because Peyton Manning does everything. Nor should MITHRIL be questioned because Mao, Kurz and Sagara are relied upon often. If anything, Tessa should be given high praise for knowing who her best soldiers are and using them when stuff needs to be done right. MITHRIL has cohesion, trust and competence and do not need to be knocked down a peg because they have a handful of greats that are used often. I bring this up because I think Hellsing lost a lot points last round because "they rely on a few key members" and I don't want MITHRIL to lose points next round for that same reason.

Group C-21
vs.
Nirvana Crew, Vandread

Nirvana Crew

Group C-22
vs.
Silvana Crew, Last Exile

Ouran High School Host Club

Group C-23
Mew Mews, Tokyo Mew Mew
vs.

Mew Mews

Group C-24
vs.

Band of the Hawk
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Group C-17
vs.
Akatsuki, Naruto

Voting for: Grandis Gang.

Akatsuki seems to be an adequate organization, but nothing truly impressive has been pointed out so far and the arguments in support of Grandis Gang as a team sound more compelling.

I probably should have tried to make the case for Big Fire last time but it's far too late for any regrets.

Group C-18
vs.

Voting for: Sailor Scouts

The Lagoon Company is good enough to destroy any weaker opponents and would win if that were the case here, but even though I'm not their biggest fan I'll have to support the Sailor Scouts given their team cohesion and general selflessness.

Group C-19
Ala Alba, Negima! OVAs
vs.

Voting for: Ala Alba

I'm not particularly interested either way. The Guardian Council would seem like the better option here, going by guide entries alone, but I believe the arguments in support of the alternative were ultimately superior and have convinced me.

Group C-20
TERRA, RahXephon
vs.

Voting for: MITHRIL

I'm a lot more familiar with MITHRIL than with TERRA, resulting in my natural inclination to support that organization at least for the time being, but I was waiting for a good argument that could make me change my mind. That wasn't the case here.

Group C-21
vs.
Nirvana Crew, Vandread

Voting for: Nirvana Crew

As much as their opponents might be more efficient and professional, at least on paper, the Nirvana Crew manages to come together in times of need and has a few fairly impressive accomplishments to back them up.

Group C-22
vs.
Silvana Crew, Last Exile

Voting for: Ouran High School Host Club

I would say that the Silvana Crew was going to be my default vote here, but must ultimately accept that the Ouran High School Host Club has enough qualities and supporting arguments to earn my vote this time around.

Group C-23
Mew Mews, Tokyo Mew Mew
vs.

Voting for: Mew Mews

As much as I enjoyed Revolutionary Girl Utena and have no interest in either the Mew Mews themselves or their show, there's really not much to the Student Council as an actual team as opposed to a collection of individual interests. I would say velocet is right on the money.

Group C-24
vs.

Voting for: Wolf Brigade

Arguments, although barely so and not without a lot of remaining doubts about both options.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Here are current scores after 22 votes:

Match C-17: Akatsuki lead 13-9.

Match C-18: Sailor Scouts (Inner) lead 16-6.

Match C-19: Ala Alba lead 13-9.

Match C-20: MITHRIL lead 18-4.

Match C-21: Nirvana crew lead 16-6.

Match C-22: Ouran Host Club lead 17-5.

Match C-23: Mew Mews lead 19-3.

Match C-24: Band of the Hawk lead 12-10.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yubsie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Group C-17

Bit of a toss up, but I was slightly more impressed with this guide entry.

Group C-18

This is one of the tightest teams going, it would take a lot to get me to vote against them.

Group C-19

Group C-20

Group C-21

Nirvana Crew, Vandread

Group C-22

Group C-23

Mew Mews, Tokyo Mew Mew

When one team's guide entry explicitly states that the team doesn't really have unity or function as a collective, the other team would have to be pretty weak to lose my vote.

Group C-24

Mostly due to the glaring weaknesses of the Band of Hawk that came to light in the previous round.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Round 2 Group C is now closed.

Final results can be found here. With 23 votes in, one match went down to the wire and two were close. Band of the Hawk barely eked out a win over the Wolf Brigade, a move that doubtless salvaged many minigame scores besides just mine. Akatsuki and Ala Alba scored 3-vote victory margins in two other contentious match-ups. The other five were all decided by 11+ votes, with Mew Mews racking up the biggest victory this round in a match likely more reflective of the strength of their competition rather than their own strength. The mild surprise was the Sailor Scouts winning big over Lagoon Company with so little fuss.

Next round will be up momentarily. And don't forget to offer video clip suggestions for next round, especially for you Ala Alba supporters!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Round 2 Group D is now closed

. . .And this time this group is starting on time! (More or less.)

Seriously, though, we have a load of interesting matches here, maybe moreseo than in any other Group in Round 2. I would think that this Group will be more like Group A than Group B in terms of competitive matches, but I've been wrong before. (And dear God, don't get me started on this Group and my minigame performance. . .)

And one last thing: next week we start the video clips. If you have recommendations for any Round 2 winners (especially those in Group A) which show off their dynamics as a team and/or organization, please submit them to me or ccdx ASAP.

Anyway, onto business!

Group D-17
Dragons of Heaven, X franchise
vs.
Children of Béfort, Fantastic Children

Winner: Children of Befort
Total:18-1

Group D-18
Warriors of Seiryuu, Fushigi Yuugi
vs.
Macross Bridge Crew, Super Dimension Fortress Macross

Winner: Macross Bridge Crew
Total:18-1

Group D-19
Kaleido Stage Crew , Kaleido Star
vs.
Science Ninja Team Gatchaman, Gatchaman

Winner: Gatchaman
Total:14-5

Group D-20
Celestial Being, Gundam 00
vs.
Aswad, My-Otome

Winner: Aswad
Total:10-9

Group D-21
Debris Section, Planetes
vs.
Chor Tempest, Simoun

Winner: Debris Section

Group D-22
Mu, Toward The Terra
vs.
Bronze Saints, Saint Seiya

Winner: Bronze Saints
Total:11-8

Group D-23
Dai-Gurren Brigade, Gurren Lagann
vs.
Social Welfare Agency, Gunslinger Girl

Winner: Dai-Gurren Brigade
Total:15-4

Group D-24
Dead Girls Red Garden
vs.
Terrestrial Administration Center (aka TAC), Blue Seed

Winner: TAC

Last edited by Key on Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:09 am Reply with quote
Group D-17
vs.

I'm going to have to go with the Dragons of Heaven. Having seen both of these shows, I think that they are the stronger team in the long run.

Group D-18
vs.

Macross Bridge Crew - I don't know what possesed me to nominate the Warriors of Seiryuu. Most of them are basically cannon fodder for Nakago and they do not work well with each other.

Group D-19
vs.

Science Ninja Team Gatchman because they are the ORIGINAL that have lead to many of my favorites.

Group D-20
vs.
Aswad, My-Otome

Asward because they do work more as a team then the main for Mecha members of Celestial Being.

Group D-21
Debris Section, Planetes
vs.
Chor Tempest, Simoun

Debris Section because of the Guide and because of previous comments.

Group D-22
Mu, Toward The Terra
vs.

Mu because of the Guide.

Group D-23
vs.

Social Welfare Agency personal preference.

Group D-24
Dead Girls Red Garden
vs.

The TAC because while there are some growing pains when some people initally join, they all come together to protect Momiji, Japan and the rest of the world.
mow123

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:11 am Reply with quote
Group D-17
vs.

Children of Béfort

No doubt here. Despite not being perfect they are top-tier in my eyes for their devotion, and group identity alone. It's shame that their relative lack of popularity as a series will be their undoing.

Group D-18
vs.

Warriors of Seiryuu

Wasn't drawn in by either team.

Group D-19
vs.

Kaleido Stage Crew

I am certain Key will campaign for their foes, but I feel no obligation to vote against a team that I know when they have so many qualities of a solid team -- vision, teamwork, and a common goal.

Group D-20
vs.
Aswad, My-Otome

Celestial Being

This team really grabs at your heartstrings and there are no cute girls involved. Just raw emotion, vivid characterization, and solid chemistry and team identity. There are rough patches, but for the most part they are able to overcomes these challenges.

Group D-21
Debris Section, Planetes
vs.
Chor Tempest, Simoun

Debris Section

Some of the most developed and most believable characters that you see in anime. Beyond their excellent chemistry and solid group identity despite not being initially respected, the Debris section proves even day to day to work can be heroic and amount to some pretty extreme accomplishments. The way that this is done is done in a way that's believable and you will feel this team grow on you. The two central leads of this grow in a way that seems very real. Not only that, but they grow in a way where they balance each out to improve in the area that the other character is weak in. To top it off, the development makes you care about this characters, and want to root for their team since they seem so undeservingly under-respected.

Group D-22
Mu, Toward The Terra
vs.

Bronze Saints

Not sure if their foe should even be in this tournament since they are a race, and not a team.

Group D-23
vs.

Dai-Gurren Brigade

This team is vastly overestimated, but I prefer them over a team that is more of a group of strong pairs than one organization. Instead heavily relying on teamwork, the brigade relies more on sheer rawness and power of it's leader -- be it Kamina or Simon. There is also a strong sense of inspiration that binds this team through a sacrifice, but it is done in such a way that seems forced rather than genuine.

I am a bit disappointed that the crew from Crest of Stars isn't here instead, I would have voted for them in an instant over either one of these teams.

Group D-24
Dead Girls Red Garden
vs.

Terrestrial Administration Center (aka TAC)

Was much more impressed by the arguments made for this team, and I also felt that their guide was much stronger. I am a bit surprised that the Dead Girls even managed to win a round based on the guide, comments, and what I know about this group.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:14 am Reply with quote
Group D-17
vs.

There's just no comparison here. The Dragons of Heaven only survived the first round due to really weak competition, while the Children of Béfort are one of the bracket's strongest teams. They may occasionally lose members over time, but maintain such a unity of purpose and action over such a long haul merits them at least a couple more rounds of wins.

Group D-18
vs.

Yeesh. I'm still ticked that the Macross Bridge Crew beat the Flower Brigade last round, but based on what little I've seen of Fushigi Yugi they're good enough to win here. The defense of the Macross is as much in their hands as it is in Skull Squadron's, and they consistently do a bang-up job in really stressful situations.

Group D-19
vs.

I have not seen Kaleido Star, but I do know their competition plenty well enough to know who the victor should be here. Science Ninja Team Gatchaman is one of the all-time greats, with major strengths in nearly every evaluating category for teamwork. The one thing that might be held against them is that their characterizations aren't particularly deep (this is protoypical shonen action, after all), but the plusses they have which no other team in this tournament can match (legacy, influence) more than balance that out. This should not be close.

Group D-20
vs.
Aswad, My-Otome

Nobody's really made much of an argument or explanation about the Gundam teams to justify voting for them, while their competition I do know well. The Aswad cyborgs are an easy group to underestimate because of the series they come from, but few groups in this tournament present as firmly united a front and purpose as they do and few are better at coordinating their efforts. Certainly not Celestial Being!

Group D-21
Debris Section, Planetes
vs.
Chor Tempest, Simoun

This was a potential match-up I dreaded, especially given that I nominated and strongly supported both. Debris Section is going to get a lot of votes because their series is well-known and they do have distinct merits, but as someone who has seen all of both series I must firmly assert that Chor Tempest is the better team/organization based on our voting criteria. They take a little while to completely come together, and intergroup relationships are rarely completely smooth (although the same could be said for Debris Section!), but they unquestionably have a firm sense of group identity, loyalty, and camaraderie, and when push comes to shove, beautiful teamwork, too. The immensely complex coordinated attack maneuvers they sometimes do (which will be highlighted in next round's video clips if they get that far) equal or exceed any of the meticulous planning and coordination that Debris Section performs on their missions and they certainly don't lose in character or development, either.

Really, there's no criteria Debris Section has in their favor that Chor Tempest doesn't equal or beat. For that reason they should be the winners here.

Group D-22
Mu, Toward The Terra
vs.

I still see Mu more as a race or group collective than a true team or organization and I've been impressed with what I've heard about the Bronze Saints, so they get my vote again.

Group D-23
vs.

I've seen both series and think this one could easily go either way and feel right. For the moment I'll stick with Team Dai-Gurren but I will ponder this decision more.

Group D-24
Dead Girls Red Garden
vs.

TAC does a decent job but they don't overly impress. Although I only saw a bit less than half of Red Garden, what I saw already showed that the Dead Girls were starting to come together as a solid and (most importantly) mutually supportive group.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:20 am Reply with quote
mow123 wrote:
Group D-21
Debris Section, Planetes
vs.
Chor Tempest, Simoun

Debris Section

Some of the most developed and most believable characters that you see in anime. Beyond their excellent chemistry and solid group identity despite not being initially respected, the Debris section proves even day to day to work can be heroic and amount to some pretty extreme accomplishments. The way that this is done is done in a way that's believable and you will feel this team grow on you. The two central leads of this grow in a way that seems very real. Not only that, but they grow in a way where they balance each out to improve in the area that the other character is weak in. To top it off, the development makes you care about this characters, and want to root for their team since they seem so undeservingly under-respected.

That's nice, but most of what you're arguing here, mow123, is about Hachi and Ai's relationship, not the organization as a whole. They don't represent the entirety of their organization (no one else on the team besides them gets more than about an episode of focus or grows to any significant degree), and various relationships within Chor Tempest can pretty much match that anyway, especially Aer and Neviril. I wasn't speaking idly when I said that Debris Section has no merits that Chor Tempest can't match, and I really hope people will pay attention to that instead of just automatically voting for the better-known series here.

And yes, campaigning for Chor Tempest (and, if necessary, also Gatchaman) is going to be my pet project for this group. Wink
mow123

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:43 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Group D-21
Debris Section, Planetes
vs.
Chor Tempest, Simoun

This was a potential match-up I dreaded, especially given that I nominated and strongly supported both. Debris Section is going to get a lot of votes because their series is well-known and they do have distinct merits, but as someone who has seen all of both series I must firmly assert that Chor Tempest is the better team/organization based on our voting criteria. They take a little while to completely come together, and intergroup relationships are rarely completely smooth (although the same could be said for Debris Section!), but they unquestionably have a firm sense of group identity, loyalty, and camaraderie, and when push comes to shove, beautiful teamwork, too. The immensely complex coordinated attack maneuvers they sometimes do (which will be highlighted in next round's video clips if they get that far) equal or exceed any of the meticulous planning and coordination that Debris Section performs on their missions and they certainly don't lose in character or development, either.

Really, there's no criteria Debris Section has in their favor that Chor Tempest doesn't equal or beat. For that reason they should be the winners here.

I have to strongly disagree with your last paragraph. While both teams, do harbor complex relationships, solid teamwork, unflinching loyalty, and cohesiveness when it really counts and all of the other things you mention, you don't point to single clear edge other that the Chor Tempest has over Debris Section other than alluding to the alleged fact that one exists. As is, you pretty much just say take my word for it since all of the attributes you list are true for both teams.

The Debris Section brings a few things to the table that Chor Tempest does not. The daily work that they Debris Section does is heroic, serves to greater good to humanity, but at the same they are not respected and they are seen wrongly as nothing better than lowest of the low workers and fools at the start of the series. This same strength is not found in Chor Tempest.

While the relationships grow and foster with Chor Tempest just like they they do with the Debris Section, the sense of personal growth transformation and coming to age moments don't hold the same level of strength or even come close to the same sense of realism or believability with the other team. The way that Ai's job allows her to grow and change some of the less desirable traits of her personality, such as naivety and self-righteousness is truly impressive and seems very believable from the perspective of someone who has just started out in the corporate workplace myself. These real-world applications do not go as deep with Chor Tempest which tends to stress interdependence and growth of relationships more than other aspects. Some of the characters do improve, but it seems more as a factor of their social growth and well being and increased bond with another member of their team than growth spurred from outside sources.

While it is too bad, that both of these teams had to meet second round, I strongly believe that Debris Section has a significant edge in at least these two areas, if not even a little more impressive in a few of the others due to believability, and total commitment to the team, such as the time where Ai was spoiler[willing to give up her own life to save a team mate in space even when she was able to abandon him and easily save her own life in the process. Her choice didn't lead to her death, but she suffered severed pain and suffered long-term damage to her body in the process. ] This proves than anything will be done to save a member of a team even if it means your own death. This will be the match to watch this round, but I am confident that Debris Section will be able to rightfully win this match based on their merits even if it might be closer than I expect.

There are also a lot of moments where the team's strength is proven outside of the central two characters. Yuri overcomes specter of his past that caused him to be depressed due to the direct influence of his team mates. The rest of the team realigns their priorities when the they risk their very jobs to do something that is right. Without the direct influence and interaction of the team, this would never happen, especially when Lavi and the Chief are so conservative and fearful at first at keeping their job before this distinct change occurs. Their bonds as a team is what leads to them to make the right decision if it risks their very ability to make a living.

Disqualifying any growth of the of the central two characters, and arguing that is is just a product of their relationship is unfair, such as it would be equally unfair to discount the impact of the relationship between Aer and Neviril in Simoun. Worth mentioning the Planetes pair are to main characters, and they have a trainer/trainee relationship that occupies one of the biggest portions of how we see the Debris Section interact and they are the focus of the show. They are also two main people who are actually venture out into space, and it could be argued that they are core characters. More importantly, this relationship grew because of the Debris Section and the support of the other members to get them to at least get along. At first you can even say they didn't even like each other, and if the Debris Section didn't make an extra effort to smooth out relations and make they work together more effectively, the entire relationship may have never surfaced.

The almost hostile to extremely close relationship between the core characters just makes their relationship at the series end even stronger since it has a real sense of growth even if it only grew gradually like they way most real relationships do. Lastly, even though a relationship does form between these two characters, the strong bonds of the team do not change, and it could also be argued that the commitment to each other and to Debris Section is just as strong as it is between the two core characters. This is what makes this so great, and deserving of the win even against a tough foe like Chor Tempest.

Last edited by mow123 on Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:26 am Reply with quote
A few personal disappointments in the last group. I'd hoped that the Grandis Gang and Silvana Crew could have gone on at least a few rounds longer. Their losses are all the more annoying since IMHO no one ever provided particularly good arguments for their opposition. Oh well, at least the Hawks managed to march on, though it still baffles how the match could have been so close.

Group D-17
vs.

Children of Béfort.

Group D-18
vs.

Macross Bridge Crew. If even the person who nominated the Warriors of Seiryuu doesn't have faith in them, then why should I.

Group D-19
vs.

Science Ninja Team Gatchman.

Group D-20
vs.
Aswad, My-Otome

Asward.

Group D-21
Debris Section, Planetes
vs.
Chor Tempest, Simoun

Chor Tempest. This one pains me, since I very much consider Planetes to be the superior series. I absolutely agree with what mow123 said about the characters, but I must concede that Key is right about this one.

Group D-22
Mu, Toward The Terra
vs.

Mu.

Group D-23
vs.

Dai-Gurren Brigade. Gunslinger Girl is a great series, but SWA is such a fundamentally sick organization that they simply don't stand a chance against everyone's favorite hot blooded freedom fighters.

Group D-24
Dead Girls Red Garden
vs.

Dead Girls.

Lots of teams in this that I either don't know or am indifferent about. Pretty much all the votes that I didn't provide reasons for are subject to change in case of good arguments.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:35 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
The other five were all decided by 11+ votes, with Mew Mews racking up the biggest victory this round in a match likely more reflective of the strength of their competition rather than their own strength.

You missed counting a vote in that match. 19 and 3 is 22, the other groups all have 23 votes.
Key wrote:
Next round will be up momentarily. And don't forget to offer video clip suggestions for next round, especially for you Ala Alba supporters!

Oh, I know exactly what clip to recommend for them, don't worry.

mow123 wrote:
Ai was spoiler[willing to give up her own life to save a team mate in space even when she was able to abandon him and easily save her own life in the process. Her choice didn't lead to her death, but she suffered severed pain and suffered long-term damage to her body in the process. ]

Wait a sec, from the second to last episode? Wasn't that spoiler[not one of her team mates, and actually one of the conspirators?]
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:44 am Reply with quote
mow123 wrote:
The Debris Section brings a few things to the table that Chor Tempest does not. The daily work that they Debris Section does is heroic, serves to greater good to humanity, but at the same they are not respected and they are seen wrongly as nothing better than lowest of the low workers and fools at the start of the series. This same strength is not found in Chor Tempest.

But how is the lack of getting respected a strength? Because they do their jobs despite not having it? That doesn't necessarily make them a better team. Besides, that can be countered by Chor Tempest, on more than one occasion, having to resist dissolution, something that I don't recall Debris Section ever having to do.

Quote:
While the relationships grow and foster with Chor Tempest just like they they do with the Debris Section, the sense of personal growth transformation and coming to age moments don't hold the same level of strength or even come close to the same sense of realism or believability with the other team.

Entirely subjective. I don't agree, as "coming of age" (or, in some cases, deliberately refusing to do so) is very much an important theme in Simoun. And what does realism have to do with this? Within the framework of its series' setting, Chor Tempest's behavior is very realistic.

Quote:
These real-world applications do not go as deep with Chor Tempest which tends to stress interdependence and growth of relationships more than other aspects. Some of the characters do improve, but it seems more as a factor of their social growth and well being and increased bond with another member of their team than growth spurred from outside sources.

What do "real-world applications" have to do with this tournament? And isn't what you describe actually a plus for a Best Team/Organization tournament?

Quote:
While it is too bad, that both of these teams had to meet second round, I strongly believe that Debris Section has a significant edge in at least these two areas, if not even a little more impressive in a few of the others due to believability, and total commitment to the team, such as the time where Ai was spoiler[willing to give up her own life to save a team mate in space even when she was able to abandon him and easily save her own life in the process. Her choice didn't lead to her death, but she suffered severed pain and suffered long-term damage to her body in the process. ] This proves than anything will be done to save a member of a team even if it means your own death.

Except that the incident you describe doesn't concern one of the core members of Debris Section.

Quote:
There are also a lot of moments where the team's strength is proven outside of the central two characters. Yuri overcomes specter of his past that caused him to be depressed due to the direct influence of his team mates. The rest of the team realigns their priorities when the they risk their very jobs to do something that is right. Without the direct influence and interaction of the team, this would never happen, especially when Lavi and the Chief are so conservative and fearful at first at keeping their job before this distinct change occurs. Their bonds as a team is what leads to them to make the right decision if it risks their very ability to make a living.

And Chor Tempest has similar scenes, such as when they take on great dangers to rescue team members (which happens on several occasions).

Quote:
Disqualifying any growth of the of the central two characters, and arguing that is is just a product of their relationship is unfair, such as it would be equally unfair to discount the impact of the relationship between Aer and Neviril in Simoun. Worth mentioning the Planetes pair are to main characters, and they have a trainer/trainee relationship that occupies one of the biggest portions of how we see the Debris Section interact and they are the focus of the show. They are also two main people who are actually venture out into space, and it could be argued that they are core characters. More importantly, this relationship grew because of the Debris Section and the support of the other members to get them to at least get along. At first you can even say they didn't even like each other, and if the Debris Section didn't make an extra effort to smooth out relations and make they work together more effectively, the entire relationship may have never surfaced.

EDIT: had a chance to finish this response.

So you're saying that their relationship is reflective of the team as a whole because it happened because of the team? I don't buy that. It happened more because they happened to work together, and until the late stages of the series the rest of Debris Section did nothing significant to push them together. I certainly don't think pushing them together could be called a team effort even then, as it was more a matter of friends and co-workers merely being concerned about them. And again, Aer and Neviril could boast any of those merits if you do consider them merits.

Quote:
The almost hostile to extremely close relationship between the core characters just makes their relationship at the series end even stronger since it has a real sense of growth even if it only grew gradually like they way most real relationships do. Lastly, even though a relationship does form between these two characters, the strong bonds of the team do not change, and it could also be argued that the commitment to each other and to Debris Section is just as strong as it is between the two core characters. This is what makes this so great, and deserving of the win even against a tough foe like Chor Tempest.

And again, there's nothing there that doesn't also apply to Chor Tempest.

You also asked earlier what edge Chor Tempest does have? I alluded to it in my voting post: the Ri Majon patterns that the Chor flies as part of its ceremonial and combat duties use complex flying patterns which require precision coordination between all the Simouns. Although Debris Section does something somewhat similar in the coordination they use to retrieve space junk in some scenes, the precision required with the Ri Majon is greater. If you have seen Simoun through to the end then also consider the scene towards the end where spoiler[most of the surviving members go to the Spring together]. Debris Section has nothing which can compare to that or the strength of the bond between the girls shown by that scene.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 33 of 70