• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Next Forum Tournament, Part XLVI:Voting

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:31 am Reply with quote
Click here to go directly to the voting.

Now that my insanely busy January is finally done, it's time to get this ball rolling again!

For those who have not participated in our official forum tournaments before, these are bracketed single elimination tournaments which have traditionally set characters or groups within a certain criteria against each other head-to-head. Discussing the relative merits of characters within the given categories is at least half the fun, but there is a long tradition of serious evaluation of merits, too. The category used and the roster of participants are both chosen by general vote; this is the first stage.

And given the low vote totals in the last tournament, this thread is as much about determining strength of interest as it is determining what we're actually going to do. A tournament where we're only going to consistently have vote totals in the low-to-mid teens is not worth the effort it takes to organize it.

PAST TOURNAMENTS
These categories have been used before, so neither they nor any idea very similar to them is eligible:

Best Rivals (June-Nov. 2011)
Coolest Character (Dec. 2010 - May 2011)
Best Supporting Character (2010)
Best Team/Organization (2009-2010)
Best Hero/Heroine (2009)
Most Clever/Intelligent Character (2008-2009)
Best Duo (2008)
Most Evil Character (2007-2008)
Crazy Character (2006-2007)
Moe Character (2005-2006)

PROPOSALS
Keep in mind the following when making formal proposals for tournament topics:

1) The topic must be broad enough that representatives could be found in a wide range of genres.
2) The topic must be capable of generating a good degree of discussion.
3) Voters must be able to evaluate participants on more than just purely subjective merits like personal preference or likes/dislikes - in other words, a topic that would be a purely popularity contest isn't feasible.

Best Character Design is an example of a topic that wouldn't work well (a shame, since I would actually be very interested to see who would win). Objective quality is very hard to achieve with aesthetics and such a topic would inherently be heavily influenced by bias; I could not bring myself to vote for any character design done in shojo style, for instance.

Past tournaments have always been character-centered, but this time around I'm willing to entertain other types of topics as options. Also, do not feel limited to posting only topics that could generate a 128-participant field; I'd be perfectly willing to run a 64-participant field this time around if the topic wouldn't generate a sufficient number of worthy participants for a full tournament.

I will allow this discussion to run for several days. If a clear consensus behind one topic does not develop then I will call for a vote on the matter sometime next week.

One topic that has been brought up previously that I now feel is viable is Best Leader. While I am still concerned that a few regulars would dominate as clear favorites here - Aramaki, Balalaika, Lelouch, Lady Eboshi, the regularly-nominated guys from LoGH - I do feel that this would bring in some strong contenders that we haven't heard from before, such as Guin from Guin Saga, Shoryu from The Twelve Kingdoms, Hakuoro from Utawarerumono, the Third Hokage from Naruto, and so forth. It would certainly be discussion-worthy, have objective points that could be argued, and cross all genres, since individuals as diverse as team captains, club leaders, ship captains, squad commanders, and Student Council Presidents could count here.

I could probably also get behind a Most Improved Character, which would be for two types of characters: those that began as not very likable or respectable but gradually became so over the course of the series and those who attracted little attention in the early going of the series but gradually grew into a more important, interesting, and prominent role over time.

See also the last five pages of the Best Rivals thread (linked above) for some earlier, more informal discussion on this matter.

I now open the floor to other suggestions.

Last edited by Key on Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:06 pm Reply with quote
How about Most Cerebral or Thought-Provoking, as in anime titles that made you deeply think about any underlying themes and symbolism present within said title or challenged your perceptions on any controversial subjects that the series explored?

Also considering the heaping number of titles that have come out in recent years, Best Tsundere could offer up some interesting results on the archetype.

And considering the number of titles folks listed for historically significant anime in the my thread for it a while back, I think having a Most Historically Significant Anime tourney could get some interesting things rolling as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:22 pm Reply with quote
It has its problems but I'll refloat the idea I proposed at the end of the last tourney.

Best First Episode
and I thought about one of the biggest objections and I say exclude movies, exclude movie series, exclude anything with less than 10 (or so) episodes in a franchise. It's a category that specializes in serial entertainment, there's nothing wrong with narrowing the field to what is still a tremendous pool.
When Entertainment Weekly holds a tournament for the best TV series no one would object if they excluded movies and mini-series, so why feel the need to include movies and short OVA's in an anime tournament?

...but I have to admit Best Tsundere is tempting- oh what ridiculously silly and heated arguments we would have.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
It has its problems but I'll refloat the idea I proposed at the end of the last tourney.

Best First Episode
and I thought about one of the biggest objections and I say exclude movies, exclude movie series, exclude anything with less than 10 (or so) episodes in a franchise. It's a category that specializes in serial entertainment, there's nothing wrong with narrowing the field to what is still a tremendous pool.
When Entertainment Weekly holds a tournament for the best TV series no one would object if they excluded movies and mini-series, so why feel the need to include movies and short OVA's in an anime tournament?

...but I have to admit Best Tsundere is tempting- oh what ridiculously silly and heated arguments we would have.

agree, both categories seem good though i'd modify your proposal:

Most deceiving first episode.
This means: series that got your hopes up with a good episode and crashed them to the floor afterwards. i'd be looking for the one that crashed them the hardest.
Saffire

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:55 pm Reply with quote
How about Best Deity? It'd require a fairly broad interpretation, but you could get some interesting characters that wouldn't show up on most other lists.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, would there be any way a sort of reverse tourney could happen where the loser moves on? Something like "best series no one has ever heard of". Since a popularity contest would almost certainly bring up the series that most people actually have seen while the ones few have wouldn't get enough votes to move on. In this sort of tourney, you'd still vote for the series you liked more (or in this case perhaps, have actually seen or heard of or want to see), it would just be a way of weeding out the popular ones. Not sure if this is sorta confusing or not (and there's always the possibility of someone voting against their favorite to make sure it moves on, but that would be defeating the purpose of the tourney, so maybe those votes shouldn't count?) And of course what happens when there are two series against each other that you've seen, one you hated, one you liked, should you be able to vote for the one you hated to get the better one to move on as long as you've actually seen parts of both series?
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote
infiltration.cru wrote:
This means: series that got your hopes up with a good episode and crashed them to the floor afterwards. i'd be looking for the one that crashed them the hardest.

Given that I use the tournament as a way to learn about new anime I want to see, I definitely wouldn't like this one. Though I suppose we could have the reverse, anime that started out terribly and got better ... but the idea might also be too reliant on spoilers and the best about the original version of that tournament is that it doesn't involve spoilers in the slightest.

I definitely do like the Best Beginning/First Episode suggestion since it would be something different. It's definitely the most interesting option I've seen so far.

The reverse tournament idea I don't think would work, at least not the one suggested, because there is nothing to debate at all.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
infiltration.cru wrote:

Given that I use the tournament as a way to learn about new anime I want to see, I definitely wouldn't like this one. Though I suppose we could have the reverse, anime that started out terribly and got better ... but the idea might also be too reliant on spoilers and the best about the original version of that tournament is that it doesn't involve spoilers in the slightest.

I definitely do like the Best Beginning/First Episode suggestion since it would be something different. It's definitely the most interesting option I've seen so far.

The reverse tournament idea I don't think would work, at least not the one suggested, because there is nothing to debate at all.

ok, fair point. though i'd still like to get in everyone's face about how much i hate clannad for deceiving me in such a vicious way.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:24 pm Reply with quote
It's not as if a deceivingly good first episode would be disqualified- some could see it as a big positive. If a show's first episode really makes you want to watch a show that actually turns out bad... well then, that's a pretty damn good episode!
Raftina

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Recalling the end of the Most Intelligent tournament, I have to express apprehension about topics that translate too easily into real world merits. Thus, I am against Most Cerebral and find Best Leader pretty questionable. A tradeoff in clear criteria for evaluation is worth it to avoid these kinds of topics.

Most Improved and Best Tsundere seem most interesting to me, though for different reasons. The first offers an excellent and loose field to play with, so we'll see a great diversity of entries. The second is because I'd like to see what sort of working definition would enter the tournament.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Still reckon a Most Moe Redux would be fun, but I know better than to formally suggest it again. Too many people last time basically gave me weird looks and threatened to run for the hills if it ever went ahead, so no.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
How about Best Deity? It'd require a fairly broad interpretation, but you could get some interesting characters that wouldn't show up on most other lists.

I'd rather not. There are many potential MAJOR spoilers for shows just by including certain characters.

How about Least Likable Protagonist? I'd like to clarify that I use protagonist instead of character only to exclude villains rather than specifically limiting it to main characters.
Killaclown666

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Saffire wrote:

I'd rather not. There are many potential MAJOR spoilers for shows just by including certain characters.

How about Least Likable Protagonist? I'd like to clarify that I use protagonist instead of character only to exclude villains rather than specifically limiting it to main characters.
Aww I would have liked best deity but you might be right least likeable protaganist will have alot of bashing and angry people but could be fun (not good place to find new animes however) i'll just 2nd best leader for now seeing as crazy character was already done
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Saffire wrote:

Is there any doubt that the main guy from School Days would win that tournament easily?
Tris8

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Wow, a lot of these sound good to me. Most Improved Character, Best Leader, and Best First episode/Best First Impression are the ones catching my attention. I like Best Leader a lot, but I think we should wait because as Key has said it'll bring up many of the regular contenders. Originally, I was leaning toward Best First Impression instead of Best First Episode (to even the playing field between really long series and really short ones), but now I think Best First Episode is the better out of those two. That way we wouldn't have to mess with determining a percentage that represents the first impression. It would also make it very easy for the participants to become familiar with the judged material, since all they have to do is watch the first episode, and we would have less of a problem with unclear judging criteria as with some other options.
Another good one, discussed in the past is Best Mentor. That would get us new faces, like Johnny from A Wind Named Amnesia and Sai from Hikaru no Go, and just about every shonen fighting series and magical girl series would be able to contribute a character.
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

Is there any doubt that the main guy from School Days would win that tournament easily?
Ya, he'd definitely be up there, but I don't know if he'd win. Shinji from NGE is pretty hated, the poor bloke. Wink That could be a fun tournament, but I'd vote we keep it at 64 contenders instead of 128, not because we couldn't fill up the slots (because we undoubtably could), but because I wouldn't want to spend too long immersing myself talking about characters I loathe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7