• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Next Forum Tournament, Part XLVI:Voting

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Topic Voting
We've discussed it for a week now, so it's time to vote on what we're going to do.

Rules
1. Anyone may vote, even if they haven't participated in discussions to date.
2. Each voter has six points which may be assigned on a 4-2, 3-3, 2-2-2, or 3-2-1 distribution. If you do not specify primary and secondary choices then I will automatically use the 3-3 or 2-2-2 option, as appropriate.
3. Top scorer after a week (or after we go 48 hours without a vote, whichever comes first) is the winner.

The options:

Best Leader: This category would be for individuals who are in some form of leadership capacity which gives them authority over others and requires them to guide/direct underlings. This could include (but not be limited to) military commanders, Student Council Presidents, Club Presidents, ship captains, political leaders, faction leaders, shift leaders, religious leaders, business chairperson, crime bosses, and so forth. Candidates would be evaluated on qualities including the effectiveness of their leadership and the respect garnered from underlings.

Best Teacher/Mentor: For any individual who could justifiably be referred to as a sensei and whose primary role in the title is to instruct others. This could include classroom teachers, dojo instructors, trainers, tutors, companion creatures who guide a magical girl in the use of her powers, and so forth. Evaluation criteria would include effectiveness, character, entertainment value, and personal capabilities.

Biggest Otaku: For any individual whose interest in a hobby or hobbies is rabid enough that he/she could legitimately be called an otaku in the Japanese sense. Anime, manga, and game otaku would be expected to dominate, but military, gun, and idol otaku (amongst many others) are also possible. Evaluating criteria would primarily focus on dedication and extent of fandom, with personality and other factors being secondary considerations.

Best Loser: This is for characters who are truly pathetic but in a lovable and/or entertaining way. They are the ones who have nothing going for them and always fail but still keep trying, who fail magnificently, or who lose but do so with grace. Primary evaluating criteria would be on strength of status as a loser and their entertainment value.

Best First Episode: Which series has a first episode which truly stands out from the pack, one which can get you immediately involved and either stands strongly on its own merits or provides a compelling introduction to the series as a whole? Storytelling and technical merits would be considered as well as general entertainment value.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I may surprise some with my voting here.

3 pts - Best Teacher/Mentor
although I'd suggest a further or separate emphasis on "guiding" than instructing- the first time I suggested this category, as "Best Mentor" (without "teacher" attached) I thought of it as an alternative for the unworkable "Best old person" suggestion- because mentoring is a primary goal of elderly characters- but those characters often don't "instruct" so much as support the character- often indirectly. I'm thinking of some of the tremendous older characters in Ghibli films in particular here, Master Yupa may not do much direct instruction, but I'd consider him a very strong mentor.

2 pt - Biggest Otaku
It could be a lot of fun. And when else would Princess Jellyfish have to be limited to the number of contestants it can have in a tourney?

1 pt -Best First Episode
I want to do it, but you all have gotten even to me as to whether it is clearly defined enough yet.... It seems like it may need to simmer in the back of our mind for a tourney or two as we try to figure out just what criterea should be used. If others vote it up though, I'll support it and try to help coming up with suggestions for concrete way to evaluate it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Warning: vote change

4 - best first episode

2 - best leader

Last edited by Errinundra on Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:08 pm Reply with quote
4 Points- Biggest Otaku

2 Points- Best Leader

Last edited by Ggultra2764 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tris8

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Not interested in Biggest Otaku, like Best Leader but think we should wait.

2- Best First Episode

2- Best Mentor/Teacher

Changed my vote from Best Mentor 4 & Best Loser 2 to Best First ep 4 and Best Mentor 2

Last edited by Tris8 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkRoseFairy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:47 pm Reply with quote
4 Points- Best Loser
2 Points- Best First Episode
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:51 pm Reply with quote
4 points: Biggest Otaku

2 points: Best Mentor/Teacher
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:25 pm Reply with quote
3 - Best First Episode

2 - Biggest Otaku

1 - Best Loser

I think all three of these options are different enough from everything we've done before that we'd get to talk about new series and new aspects of series that are always appearing.

And I still definitely like the fact that for best first episode people could go and watch the first episodes. I definitely would do my best to do that in the later rounds.
Raftina

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote
4. Best Mentor
2. Best First Episode
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:05 am Reply with quote
Best Teacher/Mentor 3

Best Loser 2

Best Leader 1
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:28 am Reply with quote
Assuming my count is right, the current standings are:

Best Teacher/Mentor - 18
Best Loser - 9
Best Leader - 5
Best First Episode - 11
Biggest Otaku - 11

I don't think I've seen a tournament voting where all 5 options were getting voted for with decent regularity. It's pretty interesting, actually, and I would think that the 4 topics that don't get picked deserve to be re-considered for the next one, since there is obviously interest in all of them.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:49 am Reply with quote
4 points
Best First Episode

Because I want a tournament that isn't just about characters, but encompasses all aspects of a show's production. Best First Episode is the closest out of the five.

2 points
Best Leader

Tactical voting.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:54 am Reply with quote
4- Best Mentor/Teacher. I can think of a few a good nominations. The Undefeated of the East!

2- Best First Episode , just so I could nominate Shin Mazinger.

Still, all of these choices seem pretty boring to me. I'd have nominated Best Mecha, but sadly that just isn't a viable option on these forums Sad. Oh well, at least there's Sai Mecha...
Olliff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:15 pm Reply with quote
4 - Biggest Otaku

2 - Biggest Loser

A bit concerned Best Mentor/Teacher is leading the pack. Not only will we have trouble coming up with 128 worthy contenders, there will be considerable overlap from the best supporting character tournament.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Olliff wrote:
A bit concerned Best Mentor/Teacher is leading the pack. Not only will we have trouble coming up with 128 worthy contenders, there will be considerable overlap from the best supporting character tournament.

I definitely feel the same way, though they are still all close enough that a few votes could swing things a different way easily enough.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7