• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Amatsuki (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:31 am Reply with quote

Amatsuki (TV)[/b]

Genres: adventure, comedy, fantasy
Themes: demons, historical, spirits, youkai

This is from the same director as Real Drive. Two series at once must be tough, especially RD. He also directed Rurouni Kenshin. I haven't seen a historical Edo/Bakumastu-period anime for a while now, so I guess this one gets me back into that genre.

Plot Summary: Ordinary high school student, Tokidoki Rikugō, has to take supplementary History classes, to boost his failing grade, at a state-of-the-art museum. This museum allows the visitor to use high-tech virtual reality to reconstruct a realistic Edo of the Bakumatsu period. However, once the simulation begins, Tokidoki is attacked by a strange creature. After something happens to his left eye, he realizes that he is not wearing the VR goggles - it is no longer a simulation; he's trapped in the virtual world and has no way of getting back.
----------------------------------

Episode 1 (Saw it a while ago, but there was no thread...)

I felt it was an OK introduction. Amatsuki may look like just another Bakumatsu anime, but it has a neat twist. Though I would like to see more excitement in later episodes, like at the moment when spoiler[Toki(doki) made it into a real Edo and was attacked by that huge beast. (I think Kuchiha called it an ayakashi.)] Kuchiha's pretty cool with a sword. I liked her until the end when she spoiler[understandably got mad at Toki, but I agree with Kon that right now she seems a little too quick to judge.] I'm feeling sorta so-so about Toki right now; he's not bad, but I can see how he'd be pretty annoying. Kon is my favorite, though! <3 Like the OP theme song.

Voices by:

Jun Fukuyama as Toki
Koji Yusa as Kon
Romi Paku as Kuchiha
(Why does Jun Fukuyama show up everywhere now?!)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omar235

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I thought episode one was pretty good, it wasn't spectacular but it was pretty good. Smile

Aromatic Grass wrote:
haven't seen a historical Edo/Bakumastu-period anime for a while now, so I guess this one gets me back into that genre.

Main reason I decided to watch this, I do have to say it lost me for five minutes when he was spoiler["transported" to the other world.] It still hasn't really explained how. Anyways, so far I like the characters and the setting so I will be keeping up with it. It has alot of potential to be really good.
Ultenth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:56 pm Reply with quote
So far I think I'll follow this one. Seems pretty slow on releases, and I can't really tell where it's headed yet, but I like the setting, and the characters seem like they have potential to be interesting. Will have to wait for a few more episodes I think to get a real opinion set.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Ah yes! This is the other series I was trying to remember the name of that I wanted to see after what you said about it in the RD thread! Anime smile + sweatdrop

Sounds good, like it'd be something I like, but I don't know, we'll see. Yes, too many dang series I'm keeping up with already, as I've been saying constantly on here... Anime dazed I might at least give the first episode a shot, but we'll see. It might also be one I might just wait for a US release for.
Houlgrave

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Amatsuki definitely has promise; the manga it's being adapted from is really good as well, so if you guys are curious in the series' direction, it would be worth checking out. IMO, next to Macross Frontier and Kure-nai, this show had one of the best first episodes I've seen in a freakin' year....
Westlo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 am Reply with quote
Kuchiha is awesome and not just because Paku Romi (<3) is voicing her, Fukuyama Jun is everywhere this season, I'm expecting a dope sword fight later on since this is from the director of the Rurouni Kenshin OVAs and Chevalier. Decent enough start and I'm looking forward to more.

Aromatic Grass wrote:
Why does Jun Fukuyama show up everywhere now?!

He was very popular before his Lelouch performance in Code Geass made him a "superstar". 4 lead character roles this season with Code Geass R2, xxxHolic Kei, Special A and this show. That's in addition to two significant supporting roles in Vampire Knight and Macross Frontier. I can't recall a VA having so many big roles in one season.. What's the chances of him showing up in Soul Eater down the road... lol.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:03 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed episode 2 and it was nice to see spoiler[Toki repair his relationship with Kuchiha after his comments in the first pissed her off. The ethanol trick he played on that samurai was nice too.

Toki really is taking things in his stride, seems the only character who will really get any angst from here is Kuchiha with her inuki possession thing.]

Anyway I read the first couple of chapters of the manga and the first episode was a really nice adaption of that. Out of the 3 main characters Toki is the only one who looks noticeably worse than his manga counterpart.

Will be interesting to see what happens later, I wonder if there will be any romantic developments.. this is published in a shoujo magazine after all.
Red Lotus
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I normally don't watch this type of anime but I thought that it was very good. It had a good idea w/ the ethanol, and hasent been that bad so far it will be fun to see how it turns out
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:26 am Reply with quote
I'm at episode 4. The first three episodes felt like a slow start, but now I'm glad we're finally getting into things, like spoiler[Toki's power from his eye, Kuchiha's demon, and that evil(?) winged guy and his gang. I definitely don't like that last bunch.] It's a slow moving series so far, but I'm interested in seeing where all this goes.

Btw, that scene with the spoiler[little singing thing was absolutely hilarious] Laughing
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I never noticed this thread before, so I never posted. Sorry about that, Ko. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Anywho ... I'm liking this series after 4 episodes. Nothing particularly special, but I am intrigued as to where the series is going. Especially after episode four. Like AG mentioned, seeing spoiler[Toki's power and the like] certainly as me itching to see more of the series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rag

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Droped the series after episode three. Yhe main character just isn't cut to be a good "main character" and with a show with 12/13 episodes I doubt he will develop his personality to be a reasonable main character.
Like for example on juuni kokki, main character-cry baby at the beginning and a good dependable character at the end.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:38 pm Reply with quote
rag wrote:
Droped the series after episode three. Yhe main character just isn't cut to be a good "main character" and with a show with 12/13 episodes I doubt he will develop his personality to be a reasonable main character.

Dropping based on a doubt? Well, you probably would have changed your mind after episode 4, but suit yourself.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:04 am Reply with quote
Episode 5 had some interesting revelations contained within it. The rest of the series is shaping up quite nicely.

spoiler[That scene with Toki and Kuchiha was so cute! I loved when they got interrupted too.] Anime smile

@rag: Had you been patient, you'd probably still be watching this series. The series finally showed some signs of getting better in episode 4.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hazel_green

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:02 am Reply with quote
basically, i enjoy the "calmness" of the anime. there's no huge bloody scenes and stuff, and the whole idea is quite cool Smile
Courbet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:49 am Reply with quote
Well another very good series by Studio Deen - only 13 episodes and they have left it very open ended - however by the end I found myself caring for all of the characters and wanting to know how the story continues so I sincerely hope they make a second season to bring it up to at least 26 episodes.

spoiler[ Basically all the first 13 episodes do is introduce the main characters and the world. The vengeful fox demon is just an excuse to show of the Blank Page's power along with his ideals and views toward humans and demons and for the beginning of the war on heaven. There was a little bit of action, some cute romance and some awesome mysticism! ]

So anyone who has not seen the show yet, go check it out - also I know the manga is still ongoing so I could continue the story that way but I would much prefer it to be via anime Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2