• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I'm Standing on 1,000,000 Lives (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:56 pm Reply with quote

I'm Standing on 1,000,000 Lives (TV)

Genres: Action, Game, Drama, Fantasy, Shounen

Plot Summary: Third-year junior high school student Yosuke Yotsuya is a reasonable kid but he doesn't have any friends. Suddenly, Yosuke is blown away into another world. Now the guy who avoided fights with his female classmates and loved being alone is supposed to be a hero, somehow. (from manga)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:17 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Hey, I actually liked this! An isekai title where the protags aren't ridiculously OP! Quite the opposite, actually. Very refreshing. Also, male lead doesn't seem like a Potato-kun. Strong start, imo.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:32 am Reply with quote
I kept wondering if we were meant to find the main character a straight man male character, who we should mostly feel sympathy for being stuck with the sucky class of farmer. But other elements point towards him being pretty messed up in the head, externalising his own problems like a lack of direction as a fault of society or those around him. The girls might not have been able to do much so far, but he seems much more messed up mentally outside of maybe just familiar with games, like a hair trigger from doing something bad.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (Season finale)

Alright, I kind of feel like I could have a lot or little to talk about. But getting to basics, this show is rough, I would go so far as to describe elements of it as amateur, and actually feels juvenile in how it often looks like it tries too hard to be edgy or more mature. But, I would describe that it is all of that in a way that actually has me a little interested. It feels like you come across a teenager who does not have a good idea of what they are doing, it trips over quite a bit, but there is a spark of passion there and what could be a pathway to do much better.

I see that the studio, Maho Film has produced two other series the Defeat Demon Lord for Daughter anime, and the also airing during the same period By The Grace of the Gods. I would similarly describe them as series that tried, even if they fell back a bit. A first time series Director also.

I would say that I liked the themes that it played at the end of the season, finally felt like some good stuff on Yotsuya could bring into question of whether he is a sociopath or not. A good comment made of him was that he acts like some anonymous kid who thinks that he is better than everyone else, it did feel pretty nail on the head. It looked like it was going to be unfortunate in relishing on his cynicism that he thinks everyone is shit except how they could be of use to him, which was kind of an inversion of what should be expected. But then it inverted it around to him admitting that he knows that although he might thing this right now, he knows that it is wrong, and maybe he could work on fixing this shitty mindset. That was actually pretty cool, it felt like a message to the audience that maybe you are growing and thinking these shitty cynical things make you so mature with truths and stuff, but you should realise that does not make you cool or smarter and more correct than others. Maybe some quick event won't change that mindset, that other people and things matter, but you can work on that. Now that would be a coming of age story.

My otherwise favourite character of the season would be Yuka, I really like her place as a female otaku, not glorified in any way for the presumably male audiences. She is a dork, her social skills suck, she gives into social pressures to avoid ostracization, she lusts over her husbandos, she is really insecure and holds things like childhood magical girls as a big part of her heart. But despite her own elements of cynicism, she does have a good heart, she is introspective and it did feel like her character could grow. As weird as it was that the other episode was like the start of some other anime, the whole thing actually kind of paid off with Yuka's character

My rating will be Good (7/10), worth seeing. It is rough, there are parts that certainly don't feel up to the same level of even shows I would rate low as being trashy, but I might even say there is a charm here in it trying to be something more. I would even say that I enjoyed the abnormal choices of post credit previews that felt like they were very candid and people having a bit of fun, that is something I would feel close to describing as genuine in its effort. I hope they do a better job in a second season, not saying that as
a criticism, but interested to see what it could do.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:06 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 7 (Episode 19)

There has been really no movement here, kind of in line with the first season, but this episode kind of felt like the first one I could maybe have something to say. Although, I would say that I have been feeling more positive of the second season, I think something improved along the way.

The episode introduced an English speaking westerner, Glenda, who had been seeing rumours of the other world stuff and traced some back to Yosuke. She is I guess something interesting, although maybe a few awkward bits. Like in English saying that she followed the "white girl" there, when I think it was meant to say something like the girl in white, because I would assume chances are the girl was not what someone in English would call "white". She also asks to not be called Glenda but Glen, which I think the show doesn't realise is actually a masculine name. The dialogue was also confusing when she said that she was Glenda, because she takes videos, which didn't make sense.

And the show didn't take long to make it known that Glenda is a lesbian, which I have some mixed thoughts about. On one hand the dialogue was a bit awkward, but on the other I am actually kind of curious about how it was handled, she didn't seem to be treated as too exotic over it, with a comment form Yosuke just saying he hadn't met someone like her before. But a bit weird again for to comment on a dead woman being her type, that a girl might be her type when turned 18, and the part where she teased Kusue after needing to say that straight boy goes after every girl, But this does feel like normalisation of an LGBT character, much more straight forward than normal. the subs even mentioning coming out.

But also, despite being the new character, Glenda was kind of not much of a focus despite this being her first coming to the other world. There was almost no focus on her from being given the axe warrior class, to when she stepped in to kill the goblin later in the episode.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:04 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
She also asks to not be called Glenda but Glen, which I think the show doesn't realise is actually a masculine name. The dialogue was also confusing when she said that she was Glenda, because she takes videos, which didn't make sense.

Yeah, I kinda did a double take about the "white girl" too. Very Happy But it's not uncommon for some women to prefer a masculine nickname (like Charlene going by Charlie), especially among lesbians, so I didn't find that at all odd. But the bit about the video was weird. There was no " 'cause" in what she said, and the onscreen Japanese translation just said "I'm Glenda. Let me take your video" (私はグレンダ 君のビデオを撮らせてくれ). That does make sense, so I don't know where they got the idea of making the clause the reason for her name.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 12 (Episode 24, Finale)

That is the end of the season, and considering anime in general I wouldn't expect any more. The last episode revealing a doorway from the fantasy world that a dragon will come through. I might say that this last arc had an impressive twist, that the Jezby character that they were helping back to her home village and she informed us had problems, turned out to be the actual villain, and had altered the memory of people so they thought she was a part of them. Maybe an interesting dynamic, where she seemed so twisted in her ideals, but was still kind of sad. I usually see the death of child characters as needlessly grotesque, but I would say that I found it not too bad in this arc.

I would say that the second season did better than the first, perhaps delivering better on the potential I spotted in the first season. Again, it was not a great show, but it managed to do its thing while posing some complex questions, without too much falling into being just edgy. I find it something that could be a reasonable viewing for teenagers, where being more mature doesn't mean it needed to do anything like fanservice. My rating will be the same as the first season, Good (7/10), worth seeing, but also a tad better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1