• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Honor Student at Magic High School (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:36 am Reply with quote

Main Series S1 - (The) irregular at magic high school (TV) (discussed here)
Main Series Movie - (The) irregular at magic high school The Movie: The Girl Who Summons the Stars (movie)
Main Series S2 - (The) Irregular at Magic High School: Visitor Arc (TV) (discussed here)
This Spinoff - (The) Honor Student at Magic High School (TV)

Plot Summary:

A century has passed since magic—true magic, the stuff of legends—has returned to the world. It is spring, the season of new beginnings, and a new class of students is about to begin their studies at the First National Magic University Affiliated High School, nickname: First High.

A manga spin-off of the immensely popular light novel series Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei (The Irregular at Magic High School), Mahouka Koukou no Yuutousei (The Honor Student at Magic High School) follows the events of the original series as seen through the eyes of Miyuki Shiba, Tatsuya's sister. The life of an honor student comes with a lot of expectations...and unexpected hidden feelings?!

(Source: Yen Press, edited)
----------------------------------

Note: this is a spinoff of the main series, not a continuation from the main show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:25 pm Reply with quote
It's Mahouka... just worse in every conceivable way. It is bad enough that the focus is on Miyuki who is at the same time the most annoying and the most uninteresting character in Mahouka. But it also doesn't seem to be all that interested in having a proper plot. It seems like it's just doing the bare minimum. "Ah, you know, you remember all this stuff right? Don't need to waste too much time with all this. You know all these dudes were doing all these things for all these reasons." The plot is completely half-assed so it lacks any weight whatsoever but relatively significant amount of time is still wasted on it making the plot related scenes ineffective and agonizingly boring.

Not that any other scene is any more interesting since somehow this show manages to make all the characters significantly less interesting than in the main series. I can't exactly pinpoint what it is that is causing that. I think partly it might just be that these Mahouka characters (at least the ones this spinoff has been focusing on thus far) never had much personality to begin with and the main series was able to hide that with all the plot related dialogue and technobabble exposition. I think partly it might be that the general writing, direction and animation is just all-round worse than the main series. Maybe it's the lighter cute-girls-doing-cute-things like tone but without the kind of fun dialogue and character interactions to make that kind of tone entertaining. I don't friggin' know. I do know though that this is just boring.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1