• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FMA, the best anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Space_cowboy64

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Um, anime fans don't really think either of those shows are good. Just little kids that see it on Saturday Morning TV. They are in a completely separate category.

yes but dont they count to the minorty? are they not also getting their parents to spend the money on these shows and therefore profit gains to the producers. i dont think we can simply cut out "just little kids", they give just as much if not more to the things they love.

Quote:
"being subjected"? You make it sound like people are being forced to watch FullMetal Alchemist. FMA is only really known among anime fans. The average person who doesn't watch Toonami won't know a thing about FMA.

Thats almost exactly what im saying the actual definition for it is injecting the media into the subject, who in this thoery is seen as an empty vessel, ready for media and its fix. Fma is being shown on jetix here and thats a kids programe channel, its also shown on rapture which is perhaps aimed at adventurous skater types (sorry to sterotype) so yes the average person who doesnt watch toonami can watch it somewhere else. plus it isnt even on toonami here Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Space_cowboy64 wrote:
No i just believe Fma along with bayblade and pokemon and other mainstream series are over rated due to public exposure. do you get what i mean, i mean youngsters and even young adults who are being subjected to these programmes and advertisements are indeed being manipulated. It all falls under the hypodermic needle theory, basically being subjected to publicity of a particular medium or show will gain interest and ratings. However don't tell me all the people who played pokemon cards and played the games watched the series. See what I mean?

space

Deary me.

You'd find that a large majority of TV-based Animation is made with the intention that it'll sell merchandise. Be it CDs, DVD releases, toys, model kits, whatever else. Very few shows are exempt from this kind of 'treatment'. It's also once again insanely hipocritical for you to be angry at shows which have a large appeal, when you've got a BLEACH CHARACTER AS YOUR AVATAR.

Good ratings is what any show hopes for, the broadening of an audience and the subsequent rewards and benefits from them is what keeps things alive. Just because it's very, very popular doesn't make it inherantly bad. Get a clue, please.
Space_cowboy64

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:37 pm Reply with quote
get a clue right...

anyway yea well im not angry for the show being mainstremed, for me its the advertising and marketing of a particular product that get on my nerves. To say that a
Quote:
You'd find that a large majority of TV-based Animation is made with the intention that it'll sell merchandise
i think is wrong and is not true in all cases at all. Fine the producers are in it to make money but the essence of animation is to entertain not to gain profit. However of course for the mainstremed shows their mechedice is a key selling point because they know who their market is and they know who they are selling to. but i think anime looks beyond profit margins when being made, thats what i like to believe anyway.

Quote:
Just because it's very, very popular doesn't make it inherantly bad
no it doesnt your right, but an anime can become popular and not sell itself entirely on toys and games. geeze get a grip lol

Last edited by Space_cowboy64 on Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Fenrir

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:40 pm Reply with quote
I haven't been watching to much anime recently but I gotta say that FMA is on the top of my lists as far as great anime is concerned.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Space_cowboy64 wrote:
True anime looks beyond profit margins when being made, thats what i like to believe anyway.

Beleifs can be wrong. Like any animation, there is animation made purely for artistic reasons, and there are some that are for profit, and then usually, they're inbetween. Regardless Anime is not one specific, special thing. It is, quite simply, animation from Japan, not a special holy grail of culture and what not.

Nearly every TV anime has to consider both ratings and profit margins, and how the content of the show can be altered to affect said demographic. It's like that for ALL COMMERCIAL TV (nearly) which TV anime is part of.

Quote:
no it doesnt your right, but an anime can become popular and not sell itself entirely on toys and games. geeze get a grip lol

Yeah, Ghibli can, but Ghibli is really quite special. Every Anime, atleast in Japan, has to rely on some form of merchandise, it's the way things are.

Get a grip!

To explain the process of TV animation- Anime costs money, and where do they get that money from? Investors, who want advertising, and to make merchandise. So they put money forward for the animation to be made. What happens then? If it works, it becomes popular, but the advertisors have to get back what they put in, if not more, same with the merchandisers. This means the content will possibly change to adhere to the advertisors/merchandisers standards. Unless it's entirely privatly funded, which wouldn't ever really happen (and wouldnt occour on any real regular basis anyway), we can come to the conclusion that Anime does require money, investments, and commercially viable products. It can require a larger audience than those willing to stay up till midnight/2 am to watch it.
Saiyo_Chan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:07 am Reply with quote
Actually, I never really liked FMA that much...I'll admit, I didn't give it much of a chance - I've only seen 7 episodes. It's good plotwise, but I really don't like the art or character designs at all. I can only think of two that seem original, and most of the main characters irritate me for some reason.

If you took the same story with different characters, I might like it, but I've kind of outgrown the 'shounen action' genre in whole. Right now, I really like anime that aren't like any other I've seen before - SuperGals, FLCL, and especially Paranoia Agent.
Darc_knight

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:25 am Reply with quote
Hopefully you guys all watched the entire series of FMA and the movie. I think I saw a lot of animes, but none of them are well comparable.

[snipped the list] These animes are the ones I already watched and the ones I'm still watching as more episodes are available.

Most of these other animes become too dramatic, they start to have dumb unrelated episodes, have no action and if so not better than FMA, and not a well made and thought out plot as FMA. Some of those animes even become so weird it is disgusting. For example, in FLCL spoiler[ a girl starts to bang a kid's head with a guitar and he turns into a flying big red robotic freak.]

Maybe people did not understand FMA to say it was good; maybe people like animes like Naruto because they like a never ending show like Pokemon; Maybe people like other animes if they notice themselves crying over some shyt; maybe people like other animes because the ending is rememberable; maybe people think another anime is better because of their taste in anime, but, to me, FMA is just not in a range to be compared by any other animes.

spoiler[Can anyone remember the last time they saw a mountain cone appear in a mere second just by clapping one's hands?
Can you guys remember how two brothers not only reuniting after a long time, but also saving the world from future troubles while at it?]

FMA is the best anime ever.

[EDIT: Lists do not contribute and only take up space. Please avoid making them unless you can narrow it just a 2 or 3 titles for the sake of comparison, and remember to put reasons next to them. Thanks. -TK]

Last edited by Darc_knight on Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:36 am Reply with quote
Space_cowboy64 wrote:
Quote:
So you like things based entirely on public exposure?

No i just believe Fma along with bayblade and pokemon and other mainstream series are over rated due to public exposure. do you get what i mean, i mean youngsters and even young adults who are being subjected to these programmes and advertisements are indeed being manipulated. It all falls under the hypodermic needle theory, basically being subjected to publicity of a particular medium or show will gain interest and ratings. However don't tell me all the people who played pokemon cards and played the games watched the series. See what I mean?

I dunno about Pokemon, but at the Yugioh tourney I judged a few years back, a whopping 4 people were familiar with the TV series (including myself.) The rest were trying it as an addition to other TCGs they played.

As for 'anything televised is overrated'- I'm sure it is. That doesn't make it bad. I've found that most anime with a high popularity in fansub form sees a jump in that popularity when it offically releases (Naruto being the most prominent example at the moment.) That's because people (like me) who can't/don't download their shows can finally hop the bandwagon.

I'll have to make a point to come back and get your opinions on televised anime after Bleach hops onto the airwaves and begins its march into the super-mainstream-popular anime realm. Very Happy
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:53 am Reply with quote
Darc_knight wrote:
Note: I don't mean to brag. Here is my list of animes I already watched or still am watching.

*** = My favorite
** = Very good
* = Nice to watch

listing is bad

from teh rules
teh rules wrote:
lists and one-liners do not contribute.

Darc_knight wrote:
For example, in FLCL spoiler[ a girl starts to bang a kid's head with a guitar and he turns into a flying big red robotic freak.]

I think you might want to go back and watch that show, everything in that show is very and has more to it then at eye level, much like FMA. But yes your right FLCL is a strange show, but a good one.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
undeadben

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Darc_knight wrote:
Maybe people did not understand FMA to say it was good; maybe people like animes like Naruto because they like a never ending show like Pokemon; Maybe people like other animes if they notice themselves crying over some shyt; maybe people like other animes because the ending is rememberable; maybe people think another anime is better because of their taste in anime, but, to me, FMA is just not in a range to be compared by any other animes. [/spoiler]

I don't mean to overstep here but I think this is an awful lot of Generalization.

I think that many here have said it best. What it all comes down to is a matter of preference. Just as adamant as you are about how much you love the series, there can be someone like Space_cowboy64 who seems to really dislike it. I do not believe there is even an anime series anywhere that is generally accepted as worth watching by a complete majority.

I actually really enjoy the series, and think there are certain episodes that are very masterfully done, however this series does not rate in my own top 10. And no, I don't enjoy it just because it is ‘mainstream’ either, although I’ll agree that it can seen as overrated by those who do not like it and even some who do.

Anyway, If I wanted to, I could also rave and shout about my own favorite series, Ranma ½ but I definitely know that there are many people who do not even find that show amusing much less great, so there is no way I can say it is the "best ever." Just that it is my personal favorite.

So I'm thinking that, in this case, what might be a better statement is that FMA is your favorite series or even that in your opinion it is the best ever. However trying to convince a majority, many who have indeed seen the entire series, that it is the best ever will not be possible, and made even more impossible with weak arguments and long lists that tell us nothing.

Quote:
spoiler[Can anyone remember the last time they saw a mountain cone appear in a mere second just by clapping one's hands?
Can you guys remember how two brothers not only reuniting after a long time, but also saving the world from future troubles while at it?]

FMA is the best anime ever.

These are indeed part of the series but in no way do they really speak for the series. Sure brotherly comradery is a very special point made in the series, however I think even you may be missing some more important key elements in the series. The subtle symbolisms and ironies of Ed's alchemy, spoiler[the gate, Al becoming the stone, why people get sick when they get near the substance that makes up the false philosopher's stones, the reason Nina had to die,] and the plot twists and key plot devices. I could go on and also write why these and more were important but firstly, I have not read the manga and I am sure it goes even deeper there, and secondly, I have no plans for writing a FMA essay and this is not even my point.

What I am trying to say is that just because a show has several layers and meanings to it, does not mean that there are not other shows that have as much or even more meaning behind them. It also does not automatically make those shows better or worse. It just means that someone was very creative and intelligent when they put it together.

What happens from there is that it goes to the public and then it is either accepted or rejected by people. Those who accept it become fans and there may be a few who like the idea so much that they consider it to be the greatest ever, or their favorite. For instance Evangelion fans for the most part really love Evangelion, and I can see why. It is a multi-layered series with plenty of meanings and several well hidden truths. Yet, even though I can see why people love it, I, personally rate the series as average because I do not enjoy the last few episodes where I believe the topic and climax could have been handled so much better in a shorter space of time.

Who is wrong? Nobody. It is just difference in opinions and preference, and wouldn't it be boring if we all thought alike?

Sorry for rambling on; if I offended anyone I apologize.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Is Fullmetal Alchemist the best anime of all time? No. There are, in my opinion, some series, OVAs, and movies which surpass it in enjoyment value and significance. Cowboy Bebop, Mobile Suit Gundam, Grave of the Fireflies, and Bubblegum Crisis are just a few to name.

Is it perhaps one of the best anime programs to broadcast over the past five or six years? You could make a persausive argument for that, at least. It certainly has uniqueness and character richness that a series like Ghost in the Shell: SAC (despite excelling at nearly everything else) or Gantz (which I find highly overrated and dull) lacks. There is a huge cast, but it makes a judicious use of nearly all of it, and the main characters especially endear themselves, even with their weaker moments.

Perhaps some of the humorous moments are ill-timed, as if there to cut through nervous tension or to lighten a situation that's become overwhelming, rather than to show a humorous side to the situations themselves. And maybe the deviation from the manga bothers some fans. Also, there are some slight pacing problems from time to time. But the series' pluses far outweight its minuses.

What I enjoy so much about FMA is that it's just the right type of manipulative for me. I feel good about the characters' victories and sad about their tragedies (and there are a lot of those). And even when some character's motives and goals are opposed by anothers', I've felt like I was on both sides.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
yukikyo529

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:03 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: Do not post one-liners. -TK]
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Whoah! I didn't know my one joking, friendly comment would turn into such an arguement about history. Honestly, It doesn't really matter. So what if Space_cowboy64 doesn't know much about history? Yeah, maybe he should've before he made a comment like that, but it was all good-natured. I guess I shouldn't make jokes in this forum anymore. Every time I do people get into arguments.
Space_cowboy64

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:11 pm Reply with quote
SharinganEyes92 wrote:
Whoah! I didn't know my one joking, friendly comment would turn into such an arguement about history. Honestly, It doesn't really matter. So what if Space_cowboy64 doesn't know much about history? Yeah, maybe he should've before he made a comment like that, but it was all good-natured. I guess I shouldn't make jokes in this forum anymore. Every time I do people get into arguments.

haha no worries, i can take what ever they throw at me Very Happy although it really wasnt your fault, i kinda got into that situation myself.

space
Niceguy9418

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:09 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Wolverine Princess"]
Quote:
No i just believe Fma along with bayblade and pokemon and other mainstream series are over rated due to public exposure.

I think it comes down to this - either an anime (movie, music group, TV Show, Novel, etc...) will have broad, universal appeal, or it will appeal to a narrower, but fanaticaly loyal following. (Or it will apeal to no one. Very Happy )

The cliche in music is "I liked (whoever), but back BEFORE they got popular." Admittedly, to have broad appeal certain artistic compromises need to be made. The art will be less stylized, the story less intense, the laguage toned down, etc... On the other hand - it's hard to argue with mass success & popularity. That's what the studio's are going for after all.

But if you are part of that small but loyal following, it is hard to see why more people don't like what you're into, while so many others flock like lemmings to whatever gets the most marketing money thrown it's way.

(And believe me I know how frustrating this argument can be - every time some bubbleheaded co-op would bring up that Titanic (a steamling pile of @#$% IMO) out-sold Star Wars (my favorite movie.) Thus implying that it's greater comcercial success meant that it was *better*. Well, no - and I'm comfortable being in the minority in my hatred of Titanic! Very Happy )
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7