• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Higurashi - When They Cry (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:44 pm Reply with quote

Higurashi - When They Cry (TV)

Genres: drama, horror, mystery, psychological, supernatural, thriller
Themes: conspiracy, death, gore, revenge, tragedy

Plot Summary: On one hot summer day in 1983, a transfer student named Maebara Keiichi comes to a peaceful rural village in Hinamizawa. There, he befriends his classmates Rena, Mion, Rika, and Satoko. Accepted as a full-fledged member of the "club," Keiichi and the gang plays all sorts of activities ranging from card and board games to hide-and-seek. But just as Keiichi was beginning to be assimilated in simple rural life, he stumbles upon the dark history of Hinamizawa. As Keiichi dives deeper into the mystery, he finds that his new found friends may not be all what they claim to be.
----------------------------------

Having seen the first 4 episodes and skimming the first minute or two of the 5th, I just have to say that this anime is quite possibly the most creepy and disturbing anime I've ever seen, and I've seen quite a bit. I would say it probably even tops a lot of live-action horror I've seen in recent years as well. Maybe I'm over-hyping this series a bit, but based on what I've seen so far, it is probably the first, truly effective horror anime, based on what I've seen and what others have said or possibly haven't said about others in it's genre. What I've seen so far of this anime actually managed to scare me, and not in a cheap way. If there is any anime that is currently available that can even match that feeling that was evoked from me, I sure as heck would like to know.

The first episode, although a bit boring taken as a whole, still easily captured my attention due to the mysterious, violent opening scene and the fantastic opening intro. The rest of the episode contrasted greatly with those first few moments and just made me intensely curious to see how things would turn out the way it did. If the series didn't start out the way it did and didn't have such an opening or ending theme, I would have thought it to be just a dumb harem comedy type show and would have likely not continued it past the first episode. I personally thought the first episode did a great job as a "hook," to lure people into the show.

Once I watched past the first episode, I eventually found this to be one of those rare anime that I very anxiously could not wait to watch the next. The entire time, I was thinking, "WTF is going on!?!" and wondering with intense curiousity what the heck is up with some of the characters (spoiler[are these girls seriously insane or are they possessed by evil spirits/demons, and also what they could possibly be planning if anything?]).

The show seems to have an interesting way of telling the story as well. From what I've heard, (spoiler for those who haven't seen past episode 4) spoiler[it seems like every few episodes, the story will start over again but with a different take on it. So far, the story seems to have ended with episode 4 with unpleasant results Sad and I think episode 5 may start off anew or is a flashback since some of the characters are alive again. I haven't seen all of episode 5 yet myself so I'm not really sure. ] The way episode 5 opens up is also quite disturbing Shocked. Anyone with weak stomachs or minds should stay far away.

So anyway, has anyone watched this show yet? And thoughts so far? I personally want to stop watching the show until it's licensed, but I'm afraid it might be too addicting for me to do that.

Last edited by SnowfairyX on Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Pleroma

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Its based on a game BTW, and seems like it has a groundhog day type setup.

And yes its pure awsome ^^
emilydastrange

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I stumbled on it awhile back, and it is extremely addicting. I think it is one of the only anime that has actually creeped me out spoiler[especially with the girls' laughs Shocked ] I've heard of the game it's based on, but I don't know too much about it, and I also heard how the show's going to be laid out spoiler[with four or five question arcs (focusing on different possibilities of who or what is behind everything? I could be wrong), with two answer arcs]
**I'm going to continue watching Very Happy
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If the series didn't start out the way it did and didn't have such an opening or ending theme, I would have thought it to be just a dumb harem comedy type show and would have likely not continued it past the first episode. I personally thought the first episode did a great job as a "hook," to lure people into the show.

hehe, this was exactly what I thought when I first downloaded it, it sat in my "unwatched" folder for about a month until eps 4 came out and I just so happened to stumble onto the thread of "most disturbing scenes yadda yadda yadda" here. I was kinda surprised to see it on there since I always kinda flip through the eps when I first get it to see what the show's about, hardly anything i'd describe as "disturbing" Laughing

But when I saw how people were comparing it to Elfen Lied... I kinda went: "huh..." and got my roomates to come in and watch it with me. There were a couple times where we just paused it and looked at each with that look: Shocked

It's not disturbing like The Exorcist (i.e. visually and shock), but it definately belongs in that category lol.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vanMould

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:39 am Reply with quote
Anyone here who thinks that the show seems to be spoiling itself by showing such conlusive scenes in the beginning of each storyarc?
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:45 am Reply with quote
vanMould wrote:
Anyone here who thinks that the show seems to be spoiling itself by showing such conlusive scenes in the beginning of each storyarc?

Oh, that's pretty masterful missing of the point. I don't think I've seen anyone misinterpret with quite that much élan, ever before.

They're not "story arcs". They're different descriptions of the same event spectrum.

And who ever said those scenes were "conclusive"?

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:26 am Reply with quote
This is my favorite new anime series. It is the creepiest series I've ever seen. And it's pretty disturbing too, though it hasn't quite beaten the end of Narutaru (for me) yet.

As for how the story arcs connect, as of episode 5, I am under the impression that we are seeing the same events from different points of view (the first arc focusing on Rena, this one on Mion). Episode 5 seems to take place before episode 1 and so far, nothing has actually contradicted anything in the first 4 episodes.

Some people have suggested that each 'arc' is a "reload" like Groundhog day or restarting the game and making different choices and thus different things happening. But so far, I haven't seen anything that is actually different, so I think we are just seeing different parts of the same "event spectrum" as Abunai put it.

We will undoubtedly see the events in the first four episodes in a very different way after seeing the rest of the series and knowing what is actually going on.
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:23 pm Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
But when I saw how people were comparing it to Elfen Lied... I kinda went: "huh..." and got my roomates to come in and watch it with me. There were a couple times where we just paused it and looked at each with that look: Shocked

In terms of pure horror and creepiness, Elfen Lied doesn't even come close.

HitokiriShadow wrote:
We will undoubtedly see the events in the first four episodes in a very different way after seeing the rest of the series and knowing what is actually going on.

If this is the way it's ultimately going to be, I kind of like this approach for this anime as opposed to the traditional linear storytelling of most others. For 26 episodes, I would kind of expect the series to run out of steam if it was done in the traditional way. But it might still happen all the same. As good as the first 4 episodes were, I am keeping my expectations low as always so I won't feel as disappointed if my expectations aren't met.
emilydastrange

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:48 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
As for how the story arcs connect, as of episode 5, I am under the impression that we are seeing the same events from different points of view (the first arc focusing on Rena, this one on Mion). Episode 5 seems to take place before episode 1 and so far, nothing has actually contradicted anything in the first 4 episodes.

Actually, I think that episode 5 starts a little after episode 1 due to the fact that spoiler[Keiichi is already in the club in episode 5, and in episode 1 or 2 I believe he joins the club]

All the arcs sort of fill in the different parts of the story that was not covered in the first arc, again this is what I'm practically positive about.
vanMould

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 4:38 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Oh, that's pretty masterful missing of the point. I don't think I've seen anyone misinterpret with quite that much élan, ever before.

They're not "story arcs". They're different descriptions of the same event spectrum.

- abunai

Élan?

I find the clips rather conclusive in the way that once you identify the persons in them you know what is going to happen further ahead. Isn't that the definition of a spoiler? The clip does of course not foretell anything about what's really going on, but still think I would have prefered episode four if spoiler[the murder had been more sudden.]

But sure, I fail to see the point. What is it?
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Let's put it this way. Would you have cared about the first episode if they didn't put up that spoiler[guy brutally killing those two girls?] Most of the first half of the first episode is your run-of-the-mill bishoujo intro fluff with lame jokes. The plot finally started moving around the last half.

Damn, I wish I could link up the TIPS thread that's found in that fansub forum everyone knows about. Those will really help in explaining some of the background features of the anime.
vanMould

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:31 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Let's put it this way. Would you have cared about the first episode if they didn't put up that spoiler[guy brutally killing those two girls?] Most of the first half of the first episode is your run-of-the-mill bishoujo intro fluff with lame jokes. The plot finally started moving around the last half.

In other words: they didn't want to scare viewers away because of the awfully cute (in the bad kinda way) animation. I had it coming.

I still don't really think it's worth spoiling the first chapter though. There must be some other scene that could've done the trick. Plus it seems a bit unreasonable to do the same thing with second chapter if it was about getting attention in the first.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:26 pm Reply with quote
All right... let me just clear one thing out of the way:

spoiler[You cannot definitively trust what you see in a given scene.

Much of what you see in Higurashi no Naku Koro ni is either filtered through misinterpretation, or otherwise tainted by a non-neutral point-of-view.

Just because you see it happening in front of you, doesn't mean you should believe that what you see is what actually happens.]

Keep that in mind.

- abunai
one3rd

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:54 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

Much of what you see in Higurashi no Naku Koro ni is either filtered through misinterpretation, or otherwise tainted by a non-neutral point-of-view.

Just because you see it happening in front of you, doesn't mean you should believe that what you see is what actually happens.]

Keep that in mind.

- abunai

This is precisely the conclusion that I came to. The behaviour of some of the characters is on completely opposite ends, and often within one scene. I won't trust anything that I see in this series until the very end, where I assume the various threads will be tied together.

Last edited by one3rd on Wed May 17, 2006 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Anthony P

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:28 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
vanMould wrote:

- abunai

Ohhh, you never pull any punches, do you, abunai? Wink
one3rd wrote:
abunai wrote:

Keep that in mind.

- abunai

This is precisely the conclustion that I came to. The behaviour of some of the characters is on completely opposite ends, and often within one scene. I won't trust anything that I see in this series until the very end, where I assume the various threads will be tied together

Mm, I've seen to ep. 5, and I also went with a similar stance as the both of you. I considered racking my brain for possible interpretations as to what's really going on so far, but everything's still a bit too convoluted to get anything remotely concrete yet. And I don't think it's just on account of my own ignorance.

Speaking of my own ignorance, isn't that a pistol I see now and then under Mion's left arm? Why is this?! And if it's not a pistol, then why does it look like one so much?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 30