• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I mean they've been translated by fans. Both the novel and the anime have yet to be officially announced as licensed by an American company.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:49 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
I mean they've been translated by fans. Both the novel and the anime have yet to be officially announced as licensed by an American company.

Figures. I would buy the novels because I speak Japanese, but I'm kinda lazy when it comes to reading Japanese novels.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:19 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
PantsGoblin wrote:

Figures. I would buy the novels because I speak Japanese, but I'm kinda lazy when it comes to reading Japanese novels.

Many people who "speak" Japanese tend to have trouble when it comes to actually reading it. Even so, the novels are actually fairly easily read.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:42 pm Reply with quote
At the moment I'd have to say Seven Seas would be my bet for licensing the novels, what with them doing Boogiepop at the moment (and seem to be doing a good job of it at that)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
d.yaro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:11 am Reply with quote
Picked up the parcel from Canada Post today containing my regular edition copy of volume 2 of Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu on DVD. I thought it was a bit odd that of the two characters depicted on the cover, one of them would be Asakura with a knife in her hand. Lo and behold, the episodes are sequential on the DVDs. The Asakura vs Nagato episode is on this volume. They're not being released in the order they were broadcast eh?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:43 am Reply with quote
d.yaro wrote:
They're not being released in the order they were broadcast eh?

No, the DVDs contain episodes in a sequential manner, abiding the novel timeline.

I'll receive my Episode00 limited edition tomorrow or the day after tomorrow. Not sure which cover it will have; most people love the R2 limited edition one illustrated by Noizi Ito (with Mikuru in frog suit and a lemon on her hand, mimicking The Television, Kadokawa's showbiz magazine), but personally I like the anime version of the regular edition better, showing Mikuru fighting the evil alien Yuki. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
d.yaro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:35 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
I'll receive my Episode00 limited edition tomorrow or the day after tomorrow. Not sure which cover it will have; most people love the R2 limited edition one illustrated by Noizi Ito (with Mikuru in frog suit and a lemon on her hand...), but personally I like the anime version of the regular edition better, showing Mikuru fighting the evil alien Yuki.

Good for you! I have the R2 limited edition of Episode 00 too. The cover does have the Mikuru in the frog suit illustration. The extras include the konte/story board booklet of the ending animation and a set of postcards of the limited and standard edition cover illustrations (the latter image showing Mikuru in her waitress outfit versus Nagato as the alien wizard).
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:04 am Reply with quote
Hmm, if they're releasing the Japanese DVD in this format, I'm assuming that when it comes to the US it will also be released this way. I'd actually rather it be released in the broadcast order... I like it better in that format.

I remember dormcat saying it was licensed in Taiwan. Do you know what order they're releasing it in there?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:24 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
I remember dormcat saying it was licensed in Taiwan. Do you know what order they're releasing it in there?

As far as I know, they'll be released with the same chronological format as the R2 Japanese version (Proware has the best reputation for "as authentic and minimally modified/localized as possible"), unless they have been asked by the Japanese production companies to make necessary modifications, like swapping the DVD cover art and manual cover art of Fate/stay night.

Ahh, the Episode00 also contains an OST and radio drama CD. \(^o^)/
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:56 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Hmm, if they're releasing the Japanese DVD in this format, I'm assuming that when it comes to the US it will also be released this way. I'd actually rather it be released in the broadcast order... I like it better in that format.

I totally agree. Anime cry That's a real buzz killer right there if it's true. That was half the fun (maybe more) of the show, was trying to figure out what the heck is going on; then being able to go back and rewatch an episode and go "holy cow! I can't believe I never noticed that! That's fricken awesome!" Then watching the next episode and going back and doing it all over again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:52 am Reply with quote
Maybe if we're vocal enough, we can get whatever company who licenses it to release the broadcast order (I believe one of the company reps in AnimeOnDVD is hinting that, but let's not put out too much high hopes on that). Or do the the impossible; show the broadcast order on U.S. TV! Shocked
Webki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:50 am Reply with quote
Wait... back up a second.

The releases of Haruhi are in chronological order, and not in the order in which they were broadcast? If so, I would like to give one big BOOOO to the person who decided that.

Well, I guess if it gets licensed (I don't see why it wouldn't), then we can always hope they will fix it. It's a shame, I was really looking forward to buying the DVDs from Japan, as I thought they would do an excellent job with this extremely popular series. But now that they put them in their so-called "proper" order, I'm not going to.

Keep it how it was broadcast!
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:04 pm Reply with quote
R1 releases tend to emulate the R2 DVD releases, so the chances of the R1 release being released in Broadcast order and almost nil.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:55 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
R1 releases tend to emulate the R2 DVD releases

Nay. R2 releases often have two episodes per disc for a single season anime of 12-14 episodes (and SHnY is no exception) and three eps per disc for a double season one (24-26 eps), which would be unacceptable by most R1 buyers. R1 releases tend NOT to emulate the R2 releases by adding more episodes (usually 4-5) per disc.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I think what they meant is the episode order, not episode count per disc. Regardless, it's hard to say because not many series have had their episodes basically out of order before.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 61 of 213