• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omar235

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I don't buy singles too often of series as they come out either but with Haruhi I will definitly make the exception and will be buying the singles, besides who can resist the singles when they will be accompanied with those. Very Happy
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I had this really weird feeling this morning when I woke up.

I had a dream about seeing some old friends from my high school choir in our old choir hall that eventually turned into me clearing them and a bunch of people out of my house for a party that just came out of nowhere, and then me seeing a vision of some very attractive girl that was so fast, I could barely tell you who it was.

Although, I guess she felt like one of those "sweetheart characters" from those teen romance movies I hate so much. She was slim, wore glasses, had short brown hair tied in the back, almost like one of those cute bookworm girls. Anyway, she was a total beauty and after the house was cleared she was approaching me to say something right before I woke up.

But the strange part is when I was wide awake, I had this sense of absolute clarity in my mind. That whatever I thought about this very day would come true if I just set my mind to it. It was only simple things like completing tasks or finding certain items around the house.

However, I had the whole thought of spoiler[ Haruhi is God, but how her "power" was sort of neutralized by the presence of her own common sense.] And with that, I tried to imagine an iced champagne glass of orange juice appear into my hand, only to of course have nothing happen. Then again, if that feeling of doubt from the existence of common sense is worth anything, it was just weird to have that thought pop up in my head after seeing the series a few months ago and having totally zero exposure to it since then.

Not to say spoiler[ I'm God] or anything, but it's weird that I'd have this kind of "Haruhi moment" after a silly little dream (which I was quite happy about, by the way).

It's been a strange, but very productive day actually. I went to the dentist and had my teeth cleaned by a very pretty lady, and beforehand found the now elusive Full Metal Panic! TSR starter set at Best Buy (the last one) along with the full Otogizoshi boxset for only $35, and Yukikaze Vol.2 for only $11. On top of that, I even got to eat lunch from a fast food place that I haven't been to in months that was serving my favorite burger!

And finally, for some odd reason I've had the urge to have Namie Amuro's All For You as my theme song all day Razz. It's a nice song. Kind of "melancholy," but at the same time very uplifting when she hits those high registers (I like a good J-Pop song every now and then).

Anyone else with a similar experience? (I doubt it).

EDIT: Fixed some spelling.

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:11 am Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:
I don't buy singles too often of series as they come out either but with Haruhi I will definitly make the exception and will be buying the singles, besides who can resist the singles when they will be accompanied with those. Very Happy
I sometimes do hold back on singles if I've already seen the series fansubbed, but with only 14 episodes to get, it won't hurt the wallet too much. Besides, if Funimation licenses it and does LE releases with those extras, you'll have to pre-order every volume 3 months in advance just to have shot at getting the starter box and other cool bonuses.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:03 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I sometimes do hold back on singles if I've already seen the series fansubbed, but with only 14 episodes to get, it won't hurt the wallet too much. Besides, if Funimation licenses it and does LE releases with those extras, you'll have to pre-order every volume 3 months in advance just to have shot at getting the starter box and other cool bonuses.

Oh god, I don't even want to think about that. Not because I'm annoyed that I'll be spending what will feel like a small fortune on it if it does happen, but how indescribably pissed I will inevitably be when I get the LE for the first two but number three magically sells out before I can order it. I swear on my parents grave, someone will be killed if that happens (I guess it's a little early to swear on their grave, since they're not dead yet... but... ah, I got it... I'll swear on the ashes of my ancestors I don't actually possess, that should be good enough, right? Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop ).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:49 am Reply with quote
I've been disappointed with the off-disc extras for the LEs, the only thing of worth is the CDs. They did include conte of the OP animation but then they released that online for free anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Lainofthenet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:24 am Reply with quote
Hey Tony - There are those that believe that each of us carry around our own little bubble of reality. The reality bubbles can interact with other peoples realities and sometimes if enough of them interact, and have things in common, the shared reality becomes common. There is another take on the idea in that our own reality bubbles are much more capable of changing reality to suit our wishes. Long ago I started to believe in the idea of being careful what I wish for. Once when I was in a bad situation I wished to be not living in the same apartment. I found myself on the street for two weeks and eventually moved in with another friend. Another time I wished to have some time off from work and was hit by a car while riding my bike home. Recently I was in the lobby of my building and saw postal people delivering parcels. I don't usually buy things through the mail but found myself wishing for the feeling of expecting something in the mail. I won two things online and found that the one I won randomly became so stressful (due to the courier who was carrying it) that I felt it was not worth the stress. (It was a half size Light Saber). I live in a small apartment and seem to have an unending change of neighbors next door. I occasionally wished for a different neighbor because the walls are thin and the noise transfer can be brutal but have learned that a new neighbor does not always solve the problem and can make things worse. I do believe that we can influence our reality by simply wishing. Problem is sometimes we do not really know what we are wishing for and we get what the universe thinks we want. I think that Suzumiya is a series that sort of touches on that idea of being careful what you wish for. She obviously gets what she wants but not always the way she seems to want it. Also the presence of her depression (and the depiction of it) is among the best I have ever seen. So yeah - in short I have had this feeling as well at times in that I think that the nature of reality is different than is generally accepted and that our ability to affect it can be very profound.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Does it ever strike anyone else as truly amazing the depth and scope of anime discussions? Can you imagine a post like Lainofthenet's being made about a non-anime animated series? (I mean this as a massive complement. Very interesting post.)

I don't think I've ever heard anyone delve into philosophy or the nature of reality in a discussion of any Western live-action series, let alone an animated one. Sometimes I read a thread here on ANN and I find myself amazed at the sheer depth of the discussions regarding character's motivations, the inner-workings of the mind, the nature of morality, and with Haruhi discussions the possible ways people can affect their own realities by will and thought.

Maybe I'm just not watching the right shows, but it seems like most series here in the US aren't very creative or thought-provoking or even particularly entertaining. A lot of them are just deathwatches where you get to see every character you like eventually die in some pointless manner.

Can you even imagine a series like The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya being made over here?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:08 pm Reply with quote
To Lainofthenet:

That's a very intersting way to put it! The whole concept on reality perception is something I never gave much thought to even when watching something like Haruhi or The Matrix. It was always just a bunch of fiction to me, but you put it all in a very philosophical way.

Perhaps it's some kind of sub-concious thought process that people tend to have, pending on how their lives and reality are going right now. Maybe it serves as some kind of natural, psychological, escape mechanism that we've come to acquire from the pressures and pleasures of today's society. Or, maybe it's just something creative we thought about out of the blue to keep us entertained?

You can argue a lot of things because the human mind is so vastly deep and it made a lot of sense out of my post. I never meant for my experience to escalate into something so profound, but it sure as heck makes life a lot more intersting to see it from that perspective. Thanks!
Lainofthenet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I think that most anything can become a basis for a way of living life. I also think we are always looking for patterns, philosophies or events to help us make sense of things. We are lucky to be able to do that. Suzumiya is a series that seems to resonate with me and I think it has something do with her being a person who gets bored easily and thus depressed. She seems to be a person who can do a little bit of anything but for some reason she struggles with her happiness and focus. If nothing else the idea of using "fun" to save the world from itself is a good message. If the series continues as I've heard I hope that her ability of not giving up is explored. It is an awesome strength.
d.yaro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:46 pm Reply with quote
nb: Keychains which came with LD DVDs...
dormcat wrote:
With omake like these,...

Well, for the volume 4 & 5 LE DVDs the extras were sheets of trading stickers. Not quite as substantial as key chains eh? I got my copies of the DVDs a couple of days ago. One thing I noticed about the artwork: Each of the characters depicted on the LE DVD covers is holding a lemon. That was starting to bug me so I did a quick search and obtained the following explanation, "its a parody of the covers of The Television, a weekly Japanese TV magazine published by Haruhis publisher Kadokawa."(sic), from here: http://www.beta-waffle.com/blog/?cat=24.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Lainofthenet wrote:
I think that most anything can become a basis for a way of living life. I also think we are always looking for patterns, philosophies or events to help us make sense of things. We are lucky to be able to do that.

Indeed. The power of superstition has ruled man for ages, and with a far more iron fist than I think many people realize.

Person A tries to explain why they weigh less than they did 5 years ago, so in an attempt to explain it, they briefly try and remember what occured over the past 5 years. Oh, they had a job that was near a deli where Person A ate cold cut sandwiches everyday. Person A just discovered the cause!

Yeah.... no. That may be the reason, or it may be that they had been walking a mile to work every day instead of driving like they did with their other job, or any number of possible reasons, none of which was the sole cause of the situation. I was actually talking with a girl at work today who sells a lot of art work at Sakura-con, but apparently her two older brothers died in freak accidents when they were 14. So with her mother being extremely superstitious, her mother essentially locked her in the house every day for a year.

People are genetically predispositioned to seeing patterns, even where they don't exist. These circumstances may indeed have happened to you, but I suggest that you just take them for what they are: coincidences, and not to take it that some supernatural 'will of the cosmos' exists that tries to placate humans by bending to their wishes (that it can magically understand) because of human's all important self awareness. Interesting? Yes, but it sounds a suspicious bit like Scientologist beliefs to me (you know, minus the alien spirits and volcanos) with the bubble of personal reality that you can manipulate with your mind (consciously or unconsciously).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lainofthenet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:00 pm Reply with quote
For the record and for what it is worth I'm not into Scientology. I walk by one of their places quite often and have no real wish to hold a "sensor" in one hand and be told what it is I am uptight about. I also take meds for a condition that they do not seem to think exists. If anything I tend towards Buddhism but I am much too materialistic to really embrace that faith. I don't really follow any sort of religion but just do what seems to work for me. Have you ever wished someone an interesting trip just before they set sail? I have found that when wishing for things, for me at least, it is important to really know what it is I want. Once I know that, whether it be the universe or just me, I find I get there faster. That said, I would not try to change anyone's belief system or the things that get people through their days. My but I do ramble on. Peace out selenta. Very Happy
Nom_Anor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Hello, I found this anime less than a week ago, marathoned through the episodes and wanted more, so I started reading the novels, and I have to say:

If you have enjoyed this show, you must go find the novels/some translation of the novels.

1, 3, and 5 are mostly covered by the anime(although I think 5 has one short story that wasn't in it)
6 is short stories not yet covered by the anime.
2 is about the making of the short film.
4 and 7 are the advancements of the plotline.
I haven't gotten 8 yet.

I would have to suggest you read 4 first. It is simply amazing, even better than the rest of the series.

If you want the answers to some of those annoying questions we never found out in the anime:
The talking cat, Shamisen

spoiler[Really could talk. During the making of the Film, Haruhi ends up making a bunch of wishes, including wishing Shamisen could talk.]

Mikuru Beam
spoiler[Mikuru does temporarily gain the ability to shoot a Mikuru Beam from her eye. Haruhi said that she could, so she gained that ability.

She accidentally ends up using this ability on screen, but Yuki manages to keep her from accidentally killing anyone, then disables this power by biting Asahina(this is why Yuki rushes up and starts attacking her, so that it isn't obvious when she bites her).]

Just a bit more in generality about those last 2
spoiler[If you want to know why they don't still have these abilities, read the book, I'm too lazy to explain fully, but it has to do with the "this is a work of fiction, any events characters....." that Haruhi has to say at the end of the film]
I.D. Evo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:35 am Reply with quote
In your all's experience of anime and what not, when would you think we'll get any concrete info about a second season? I know it's early to be asking for anything specific but I'm just curious as to what you think will happen and when (if anything happens at all Razz)

Here's to hoping for a second seasons Anime smile
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:08 pm Reply with quote
There was info from a usually reliable site indicating that there will be a second season, but there has not been anything official.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 76 of 213