• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[Over-]Quoting Guidelines.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:35 am Reply with quote
Teh Rules wrote:
6. Do not excessively quote. If you are responding to a single idea, quote only that relevant part.

----------------------------------
What counts:

Anything more than two quotes deep. For example:

3 wrote:
2 wrote:
1 wrote:
Great news!

I agree.

So do I.

Me, too!
-----

See user #3 who said "So do I?" That's the cutoff.

In addition, any short reply to a really long post, such as:

Some guy wrote:
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Yeah, okay.
-----

is also a violation.

How do I not over-quote:

- If you really feel the need to quote someone, only quote the *relevant* parts, like a small paragraph or series of statements you're specifically replying to within their body of text. Don't quote an entire 8-paragraph post just to reply with a measly little sentence. This may or may not require more work on your part depending on how much text you're trying to quote. But if you're that OCD with wanting to debate, anyway, chances are you'll probably do it right.

- The easiest way is to simply click reply and put "@user" at the beginning of your post, so that the person knows you're directly replying to them. If you and a bunch of other users are in an on-going discussion, the very fact that you quoted some of their previous post should make it obvious that you're still wanting to talk about stuff, which kinda' eliminates the need to keep quoting them.

- If you're just used to clicking the "Quote" button to reply to people, in your reply window, hit Alt + A to highlight everything, then just delete it if you don't need any specific text, put @user, hit Enter twice, then start typing.

- If your reply is going to appear directly underneath theirs, you don't even have to put anything, just reply and say your stuff. If it's a particularly busy thread, then put "@user" just to be on the safe side. Again, if it's an obvious and ongoing conversation, common sense should take care of itself.

Enforcement:

- Users who earn a strike will get a warning via PM every time they violate the rule and have their name added to The Wall of Shame with a time-stamp of the day said violation occurred. 3 strikes and you're out. Users who strike out all the way will get 1 month of Moderation and, at least, 1 day of waiting time between when they create their posts and when they get approved to show on the forums.

- The strikes are cumulative. And while serving your Moderation sentence, you will have the opportunity to reduce your strike count by one for each month of good behavior. So if you strike out, and don't manage to over-quote for a whole month (based on the time-stamp and passage of said month), you can go back down to 2 strikes and be removed from Moderation. Likewise, if you have 2 strikes, and go a month without over-quoting, you'll be bumped down to 1 strike. And so on.

- Newer users who have under 100 posts and have only been a member for less than a year will get a freebie warning. However, users with less than 100 posts, but have been here longer than a year will get no such mulligan. A full year is more than enough time to acclimate to the rules and such, and thus, gets no warning.

EDIT: Grammar and spelling.
EDIT2: Added a new example.
EDIT3: Adding a default body of text to copy and paste into Talkback threads.
EDIT4: Added insert text for edits and The Wall of Shame.
EDIT5: Added a default message to copy and paste into PM notifications for violations.
EDIT6: Moved The Wall of Shame to the Staff forum.

Edited and/or deleted a few posts for over-quoting.

Don't want your posts edited/deleted?

Then don't over-quote.

[EDIT: Please don't over-quote. Thanks. -TK]

You're receiving this message in response to a violation of over-quoting and earning a strike/free warning on The Wall of Shame.

This was the post that did it:
----------

Last edited by Tony K. on Mon May 25, 2015 3:46 am; edited 24 times in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:02 am Reply with quote
Since that infamous downtime, looks like I have to clarify I would like to point out that multiple single quotings are OK, and don't count as over-quoting.

{mdo7, I am terribly sorry, but your usage of the phrase, "looks like I have to clarify," is raising the hackles of certain users. It has the feel of back-seat moderating. Therefore, I feel compelled to ask you to stop it. Thank you in advance for your cooperation in this regard. (I also fixed your grammar.) ~nbahn}

For example:

Kadmos1 wrote:
The Kare Kano edits can be scene here go going to the Wayback Machine and typing in animeprime.com/reports.

The dub of Ai Yori Aoshi episode 13 replaced the "Happy Birthday to You" song spoiler[that Tina is practicing when walking with her groceries and that the characters sing at Aoi's birthday party] probably because of its copyright status here.

BringBackUzume wrote:
John Thacker wrote:

Song copyrights have their whole category. Vandread using Louis Armstrong singing "What a Wonderful World" during the initial Japanese TV broadcast, then replacing it for the home video release, the Gilbert O'Sullivan songs used for OP/ED exactly one episode of Maison Ikkoku but not on the US release, etc.

And Speed Grapher using a Duran Duran song in the Japanese release. However, Funimation couldn't get the rights to use it for their home video release, so they had to come up with their own original opening song in house.

I think music licenses in conjunction with Anime seems to be a lot more complicated than is thought to be.

*typed my response to these 3 users here*

Yes, according to Tempest and Key, this quoting is acceptable and doesn't qualify as overquoting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1