• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Team/Organization Tournament: Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Olliff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:45 am Reply with quote
Group C Finals
MITHRIL, Full Metal Panic! franchise
vs.
Ouran High School Host Club, Ouran High School Host Club

For once, I agree with Abunai, C/D is much weaker than A/B. OHSHC over MITHRIL mainly because I feel that most people are not giving the OHSHC the credit they deserve because the team is so much different than the rest and they appeals to a very different demographic. They are cohesive, they have a ineffable smoothness, and more than anything that they just seem to complement each other very well. MITHRIL as a whole doesn't cut it, and I think it is fair to point out that they do mistreat certain members during the course of the series.

Group D Finals
Children of Béfort, Fantastic Children
vs.
Debris Section, Planetes

Don't like my choices but the slight edge goes to Children of Befort mainly because Debris Section does fragment quite significantly in the later parts of the series regardless that it is done painlessly and on good terms.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Group C Finals
vs.

Voting for: Ouran High School Host Club

While I have to say that the argument about MITHRIL's structural flaw is a valid one, regardless of my appreciation for the main members, the Host Club does have to face a couple of conflicts here and there. Nevertheless, you could say the specific nature of the team makes enough of a difference, at least for the time being.

Group D Finals
vs.
Debris Section, Planetes

Voting for: Debris Section

I've acknowledged a number of good things about both teams during previous rounds, but it's time to make a choice here. All in all, I think spoiler[outright betrayal] is a much larger black mark than just separating on good terms. I'd like to see someone argue otherwise though, if nothing else.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Group C Finals
vs.

Voting for: MITHRIL

Sorry, but some highschool club, no matter how fun and entertaining, just can't cut it against a (mostly) well functioning mercenary organization like MITHRIL at this stage of the tournament. After bitterly watching Ouran take out so many of my favorites there's no way in hell I'm giving them a chance now.

Group D Finals
vs.
Debris Section, Planetes

Two undeserving teams. Meh, I'll pick the Toybox crew just for liking that series more.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Group C Finals
vs.

From the others' comments it seems MITHRIL is not such a great team as I previously thought. While Ouran High School Host Club's disadvantage seems to be the fact it is a shoujo series and the fact that they do not fight against some evil organisation, people etc. However, they seem to be a close-knit team.

Group D Finals
vs.
Debris Section, Planetes

I like Children of Béfort, but they should not advance due to the already mentioned issue, spoiler[outright betrayal]. They had good luck in the previous round to be against team that was so severely lacking in depth, but this time their luck has run out.

Last edited by Aylinn on Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Group C Finals
vs.

I think there's a huge flaw about OHSC and that would be their competition over Haruhi, which not just impedes the team from forming true bonds, but also impairs the team's strength; while Mithril is also somewhat more flawed than it ought be, they're still more of an organization before my eyes, and they do manage to get by many obstructions, including betrayal from within.

Group D Finals
vs.
Debris Section, Planetes

I haven't seen either of them, but I've been reading the arguments up to now and Debris Section seems to be a stronger opponent, though I'm not quite sure about how they got this far, but if I had to guess, I'd say it's because they get the advantage of not coming from a fantasy anime, yes, for being more realistic. So, for now I'll stick with them.

I'm tired after 2 hours of sleep, so this week I'll keep it short.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I seriously considered skipping voting this time; I feel so strongly that neither team in Group D belongs here that I was tempted just to let things play out and see what happens. But I haven't missed a vote in a couple of years and I'm not going to start now.

Group C Finals
vs.

Clear choice for me. Some are favoring OHSHC because they claim that they develop better and closer bonds, but I never got that strong an impression about them. And let's not forget that they basically coerced Haruhi into joining them, too. MITHRIL accomplished more, showed more involved coordination as a group, and had plenty enough character development for its core cast members. Doesn't matter if you're looking at it primarily as the Tuatha de Danaan's crew or the organization as a whole; they usually work efficiently together to overcome their challenges.

Group D Finals
vs.
Debris Section, Planetes

I'm voting for the Children of Befort here solely because I think Debris Section is getting entirely too much credit. Sadly, they (DS) may well make it to the Finals since I think enough people will vote them over MITHRIL, and there are at least a dozen teams in this tournament much more deserving than them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ccdx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Group C Finals
vs.

Clear choice. MITHRIL is probably the best left of this C&D side of the bracket. I hope to see them in the final.

Group D Finals
vs.
Debris Section, Planetes

Hmm. You betrays who less?? Two weak contenders here. I'm going to vote for Debris Section only because they split up on uncertain terms, but later everything works out for the best. The Children just downright have a betrayer among them.
murph76

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Group C finals
Reason: True, Haruhi may have been forced to join. But once she finds gets to know everyone, Haruhi becomes the center of the group and finds a place she doesn't want to leave. For MITHRIL, Sousuke's team is a tight-knit group, too. But organizationally, it suffers from far too many traitors who seem to easily work their way into key positions.

Group D finals
Voting for: Fantastic Children
Reason: Yes, they suffer for one late-series betrayal that does affect them as a group. However, they endure centuries on their task, and the vast majority adapt easily to their adapted goal near the climax.
farichada

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Last minute voting is bad, but it's better than not voting.

Group C Finals
vs.

Yuck. I can't forgive the fact that Mithril leadership is ineffective and very nebulous combined with incident where Sousuke is mistreated, I have to give my vote to Ouran by default even though I think both teams are undeserving. Ouran is one of those odd teams and just because they are a bunch of loonies and a comedic team doesn't make them weak when they are so deadly effective at it.

Group D Finals
vs.
Debris Section, Planetes

Both teams have fatal flaws, and neither team should advance pass this stage. I guess I will go with the Children of Befort. They do have a betrayal, but it wasn't as significant to the scheme of things as the whole breakup and complete meltdown of Debris Section. I also don't think Debris Section has enough of the series focused on it to make it any further. Also the whole Hachimaki and Ai thing really doesn't make the team stronger, it's more of a separate thing.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:08 am Reply with quote
Round 4 Groups C and D finals is now closed.

MITHRIL looked like they were going to run away with Group C, but that match tightened up considerably in the last couple of days, giving the crusaders for good a 12-8 victory margin over the Host Club. Debris Section, meanwhile, had an easier time in knocking out the Children of Befort 14-6.

And so now our Final Four is set. The Tournament Semifinals is up next!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:09 am Reply with quote
Round 6: Semifinals is now closed.

This is the next-to-last round, ladies and gentlemen. These two matches will decide which two teams/organizations will face off for the title next week. Choose carefully, and give good reasons!

Groups A/B Semifinal
Section 9, Ghost in the Shell franchise
vs.
Straw Hat Pirates, One Piece

Winner: Section 9
Total: 15-6

Groups C/D Semifinals
vs.
Debris Section, Planetes

Winner: MITHRIL
Total: 16-5

Last edited by Key on Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:14 am Reply with quote
Short version of my arguments for now. I'll do a long version later for one or both if necessary.

Groups A/B Semifinal
vs.

The Pirates are a solid bunch, but the clip shows why Section 9 should be the favorite here. Their coordination is just too tight and their effectiveness too great even for such worthy competition to match.

Groups C/D Semifinals
vs.
Debris Section, Planetes

MITHRIL, without a doubt. Scenes like this clip shows what the organization can do when forced to adjust on the fly, and MITHRIL does that every bit as well as their competitors. They do have problems with traitors on a couple of occasions, but overcome them and assure that the traitors don't deter them for long. They have a very detailed organizational structure, key personalities are well-developed, and they are highly effective whether in individual unit action or as a whole.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:34 am Reply with quote
Mini-game results.

Wow, that round did a number on everyone's mini-game brackets. Only two people got any points at all. A good number of people had expected the Host Club to move on here, and a couple more had expected the Children to win, but the Dai-Gurren Brigade was the most popular choice for group D, and they were already out.

As such, that finalizes the winners for the mini-game. Olliff took the lead early (by the end of Round 1) and that was pretty much it. Aylinn started off well, and managed to make it into the top 3 at the beginning of round 4 before passing Mow in the quarter-final round and securing second. Mow started off well, also, holding second most of the time since the end of the first round, only briefly slipping to third for Groups C and D of Round 2, before Aylinn secured second at the end, forcing Mow to finish third.
Skylark

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:50 am Reply with quote
Groups A/B Semifinal
vs.

Section 9 - Honestly I think the Game Club was the last defense against this team and they are going to steamroller the rest of the tournament and win. I consider this to be the finals because neither of the other two teams in C/D even compare to these two in my opinion.

Groups C/D Semifinals
vs.
Debris Section, Planetes

Bleh. MITHRIL because of what Key said. Coin toss. MITHRIL may be a good team and all but from the first round they've been lambasted with criticisms on various levels, but I have seen Planetes and I can't vote for the Debris section in the semi-final.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:34 am Reply with quote
At this point, I wonder if everyone thinking Section 9 winning this tourney had in part led to the drop in voting turnout towards the middle of the tourney.

Group A/B: Straw Hat Pirates (One Piece)
At this point, I see them as the only potential threat to Section 9's steamroll as the finalists in Group C/D are too flawed to survive a Finals match against Section 9. While not tightly coordinated as the Major's troops, the Straw Hats have stronger chemistry and unity as the only major chemistry seen in Ghost in the Shell beyond mission deployments and input revolve around Aramaki, the Major, Batou and Togusa. Depth also is in the Straw Hats' favor as all their members get background development and they all change as their relationships with one another improve. No such personality changes occur with Section 9 and only the same four characters I mentioned before get their depth while the rest are given the impressions of being experts in their fields of work.

Group C/D: Debris Section (Planetes)
About the only flaw I've heard argued that would dent the Debris Section would be spoiler[their disbanding] which seems nothing compared to the majority focus of key members and the questionable actions in Second Raid of certain members for Mithril. So once again despite not knowing much of the series, I'm going for the Debris Section.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 61 of 70